Queen of Night

De LeeraIvy

All of her life, Iyan Vesper was told, "Do not enter the Vetiti. Faeries will steal you away." She didn't bel... Mais

Maps
Prologue
1. The Witch's Vision
2. A Thief in the Night
3. Make A Wish
4. Tricky Rules
5. The Wolf Hunts
6. Brooding Bewilderment
7. Hidden Demons
8. Fearful Perspective
9. Trust Exercises
10. The Prince's Interference
11. Dwindling Defenses
12. Long Awaited Explanation
13. Chocolate Breeds Boldness
14. Mischievious Deeds
15. A Prosperous Occupation
16. Home at Last
17. New and Uncertain
19. Her Confused Heart
20. For You
21. Vague Conclusions
22. A Solstice Gift
23. His Only Wish
24. A State of Nervousness
25. Golden Betrayal
26. The Weight of Sound
27. Flames of the Hunt
28. Tethers and Blinding Lights
29. Adjustments
30. You Own My Heart
31. Candlelit Vows
32. Uncertain Resolve
33. The Governor's Allegiance
34. The Wolf's Courage
35. Half a Chance
36. Crimson Stained Snow
37. Failure or Motivation
38. The Queen's Discarded Dream
39. Obsidian and Iron
40. The Sovereign's Sacrifce
41. Golden Promises
Epilogue
Thank You
Wings of Fate

18. The Queen's Demise

733 51 2
De LeeraIvy

Arius eyed the outside of the art studio curiously. Iyan crossed her arms, waiting beside the door. He had been home for two days and they had decided to pay the studio owners a visit, after Arius learned of Iyan's new job and his position as her assistant. She stifled a laugh, recalling the expression he'd made when he heard that term.

Arius flashed her a knowing look and they entered the studio. The owners, Cyrus and Briony, were already expecting them. They both dipped their heads to Arius. Briony took Iyan's hand and led her into their showroom.

"I'm glad you decided to come. I wanted to show you how we arranged the display," Briony said. She swiped a few strands of black hair behind her ear. They moved to the front of the room. Sunlight washed in through the large window, highlighting several art pieces situated on easels and the walls.

Iyan glanced at Arius. He stiffened, his gaze going immediately to his mother's two paintings, which were situated in the center of the room. One was of a wintery landscape. It depicted an iced over pond and two Faeries skating on it. The other was of the night sky. There was a silhouette of an owl painted just beneath the moon.

Iyan also noted the small bouquets of flowers that were situated around the base of those two easels. "We've had many people recognize her pieces and come by to leave flowers," Briony explained, noticing her stare. "I tried having them sent to King Torin but he wouldn't take them."

"I see." Iyan began to walk through the paintings. "Are some of these yours?"

"A few are mine and a few are Cyrus'. The rest of them are from those who attend our lessons."

"You have lessons?" Iyan raised an eyebrow.

Briony nodded. "We let people attend for free and if they sell their art, they give a small portion of the proceeds to us. We use the proceeds to pay for the building and the art supplies. Do you paint?"

"I used to. I haven't in years." Iyan felt Arius turn his gaze towards her. He was still standing near his mother's paintings.

"Perhaps you'd like to come to one of our lessons sometime. We hold them in the afternoon, every other day. We're having one tomorrow, actually."

Iyan thought for a moment, then shook her head. "Maybe someday in the future. Right now, I'm kept fairly busy."

"Of course." Briony turned as the door opened. A few Faeries entered, carrying flowers. She greeted them warmly and moved aside. The Faeries set their flowers down, then seemed to notice Arius.

Iyan narrowed her eyes as they spoke quietly to him. His tanned face went pale and she could see a hint of panic in his eyes. Arius shook his head, backing away from the Faeries. Briefly, he met her gaze, before disappearing in a flash of silver.

The small group faced her, their confusion evident. "Prince Arius had a meeting this afternoon," Iyan said quickly. "We must've lost track of time."

That seemed to appease them. The Faeries began to move about the showroom, admiring the artwork. Briony rejoined Iyan momentarily. "That was...unexpected," she laughed.

Iyan gave her a tight smile. "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I need to be leaving as well. I'll be sure to tell King Torin that you've made good use of Queen Rhosyn's pieces."

"Thank you." Briony gave her a small bow and held the door open. Iyan stepped outside and hurried back towards the manor.

What happened back there? She wondered. I've never seen Arius look like that before. She increased her pace and reached the manor in a matter of minutes. Gabriel and Asena were sparring at the training grounds when she arrived.

"Have you seen Arius?" Iyan called.

They paused and lowered their wooden sticks. "I thought he was with you?" Asena replied.

"Never mind." Iyan entered the manor. Apparently they haven't seen him. Maybe he's in his room. She climbed the stairs and turned down the hall. His door was slightly ajar. Iyan opened the door cautiously and stuck her head inside. "Arius."

"I had to get out of there." He appeared on the balcony. Iyan closed the door and joined him. Arius sat on the railing, letting his legs dangle over the edge. His wings were slack, touching the ground. She leaned against the stone rail, waiting for him to continue.

When he didn't, she spoke. "What happened?"

Arius sighed and began to rub his fingers together. "I didn't know Father had some of her art given to them."

"Are you angry about that?"

"No, I'm glad it's being put to use. I just..." he closed his eyes, letting his head fall forward. "I can't stand to hear them give me their sympathy, even after all these years."

"Why?"

"Because it seems so meaningless. They didn't know her like I did. They haven't mourned her like I have. Their sympathy gives me no comfort. It feels...cruel."

"No one offered Asena and I their sympathies when our parents died. Our parents were meaningless to everyone but us. They weren't even buried. We couldn't dig graves for them and no one would help us."

"Do you wish they would have offered you their empty condolences?"

"Sometimes."

Arius kept his gaze lowered. I wonder how long it's been. He mentioned before that she died when he was younger, but how much younger?

"I'm sorry. Usually I don't have this problem," Arius sighed.

"It's all right. It happens to me too."

"Whenever people offer me their condolences, it takes me back to that day and to the night of her vigil. It makes me remember, even though I've tried to forget."

"Forget what?" Iyan prompted.

"I was there when it happened." Iyan hesitated, unsure of what to say. Arius' eyes were shining and he blinked quickly. "I have never told anyone exactly what happened. I only told them what they needed to know at the time."

"How old were you?"

"Twelve."

"You were actually twelve or you had the mental age of twelve?"

"I was actually twelve. Faeries age like humans up until we reach our twenties. From there, our aging slows down, keeping us looking physically young for a long time."

"And...how old are you now?" Iyan asked.

"236. It's been a long time, but I can remember it vividly." Arius turned, meeting her gaze. Iyan was somewhat surprised at the raw emotion that swam in his eyes. He looked very different from his usual arrogant self. "Will you listen?"

Iyan let her fingers brush against his as she nodded. "If you want me to." He twisted off the railing and leaned his head back against it. Iyan sat down beside him and waited.

224 years, she thought, mentally running the numbers. He hasn't told anyone what really happened and it's been 224 years. Why does he want to tell me, of all people? Why not his father, or Gabriel and Esen?

"Mother liked picnics," Arius began. "She and I would go to the Mirror Lake, near the edge of the Vetiti, and spend our afternoons there frequently. We never went too close to the lake, and you'll understand why later. That day, Mother had asked me if I wanted to go and of course I did. We packed up a basket of food and she brought her paints along. You already know she liked painting." He swallowed and pointed to his room. "She painted my ceiling, but I'm sure you guessed that." Iyan gave no rely and let him continue. 

"She asked me to find a stone, with the promise that she would paint it for me. I went looking for one...but I went too far. I came across the Mirror Lake and when I looked in, I saw my past, present, and future selves. I was so lost in the visions that I didn't hear her calling me." Arius paused, closing his eyes once more. "I didn't see what creature attacked her. The visions ended and I ran from the lake, only to trip over her."

A tear managed to slip past his lashes. "Her wings were shredded, nearly torn off at the base. She had used them to shield me from whatever creature was there. She was so...ravaged...I could barely tell it was her. I don't know how long I stood there. That day was the first time I ever teleported anywhere. I came home and I've never heard my father scream louder. I was covered in her blood. There are still stains from my footprints in his old bedroom."

Iyan clasped her hands together to keep from reaching out to him. She could only imagine the pain and horror he must have experienced. She didn't even want to try to envision the scene that was replaying in his mind.

"My father, along with my uncle, went to retrieve her. My uncle was her brother, Gabriel and Esen's father. After her vigil, he bound his wings together with iron chains, before jumping from the roof of the manor."

"What about their mother?" Iyan asked quietly. It wasn't the Twin's story, but she was curious nonetheless.

"She died in childbirth." Arius dropped his head against his knees. "I never told anyone the whole story. If my father knew that I was responsible for her death..."

"Arius," she said firmly. Iyan moved in front of him and gripped his hands tightly. "You aren't responsible. It was a terrible accident, and your father would understand that."

"It feels like I'm responsible. Do you know how that feels?" His question wasn't accusing, more, genuinely curious.

"I do. My mother died of starvation because she gave the only food we had to Asena and I. She lived two weeks on only water, before she died. We tried to convince her to eat something, but she wouldn't. I felt responsible for her death and I know Asena did too, but that's what mothers do. They look after their children before themselves. If it weren't for your mother's sacrifice, you wouldn't be here right now."

Arius' gaze lowered to their clasped hands. Iyan pulled away after a moment. "I miss my parents everyday," she said softly. "You will always miss your mother. Some days will be harder than others and you know that. I'm glad you told me, though. Maybe it will help. I won't give you my sympathy, but I will give you my empathy. I know what it feels like too."

"Don't tell anyone."

"I won't. Thank you for trusting me with this...and with some of Gabriel and Esen's story as well."

"I'm finding that I trust you more than anyone right now." He held her gaze briefly, then stood. A halfhearted smirk slid across his lips. "You owe me one of your darkest secrets."

Iyan gave him an amused grin. "I don't have any dark secrets."

"Do you have any light secrets, then?"

"Maybe. I'll have to think about it."

"I'm expecting that secret soon."

Iyan rolled her eyes and started towards the door. Arius remained on the balcony. She turned back and watched as he spread his wings, letting the gentle breeze blow against them. A moment later, he leaned over the edge and let himself fall, only to swoop back up with a small laugh. Iyan smiled to herself and continued on her way.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

345 6 99
True hunters of the wicked. Wardens of the World. The Huntsmen shield humanity from the dark and wild fey. In recent times they also steal human g...
3K 131 23
I look as she yells at my beta for making her friend mad, and I can't help but think about her. She is always going to be my world, no matter what. W...
242 14 7
A collection of short stories ranging from the realistic, magical realism or even straight up fantasy genre. A lot of these will be written for promp...
13.1K 450 34
Hell is empty, and all the devils are here... ~William Shakespeare The Hunters, soldiers of the Order, have kept the world safe for centuries from th...