𝐔𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬...

By bouncygnocchi

SEQUEL TO OF SERPENTS AND ANGELS: Two years after the Second Wizarding War, Angel Dawson has started to heal... More

Author's Note/Disclaimer
| 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 | 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘵
𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞
𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐲
| 𝐃𝐄𝐕𝐈𝐋 | 𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴
| 𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐒 | 𝘧𝘦𝘢𝘳
| 𝐃𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐘𝐒𝐔𝐒 | 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘴, 𝘣𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴, 𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘴
| 𝐏𝐇𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐎𝐒 | 𝘯𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘳
| 𝐂𝐎𝐃𝐑𝐔𝐒 | 𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘳
| 𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐄𝐑 | 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘢𝘨𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘯𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘴
| 𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒 | 𝘢 𝘥𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘥𝘭𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘰𝘯
| 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐌𝐄𝐒 | 𝘢𝘯 𝘶𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘢𝘨𝘦
| 𝐀𝐏𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐄 | 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘵
| 𝐏𝐄𝐈𝐓𝐇𝐎 | 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯
| 𝐏𝐒𝐘𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐏𝐎𝐌𝐏 | 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦
| 𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐔𝐁𝐔𝐒 | 𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘬𝘪𝘯
| 𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐀𝐒 | 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴
| 𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐑𝐒 | 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
| 𝐆𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐈𝐀𝐍 | 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘨𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘴 (*TW)
| 𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐀 | 𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘩𝘶𝘧𝘧𝘭𝘦𝘱𝘶𝘧𝘧
| 𝐀𝐌𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐀 | 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘦
| 𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐒 | 𝘢 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘳𝘮𝘴
| 𝐎𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐋𝐄 | 𝘳𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯
| 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐒 | 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘭'𝘴 𝘱𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
| 𝐇𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐒 | 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘮𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘥 (*TW)
| 𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐄 | 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦
| 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐀𝐔𝐑 | 𝘮𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘵
| 𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄 | 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘵-𝘮𝘦-𝘯𝘰𝘵
| 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄 | 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
| 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐒 | 𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘭 (*TW)
| 𝐋𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐇 | 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘬𝘦
| 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐔𝐒 | 𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘴
| 𝐏𝐇𝐎𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐗 | 𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦
| 𝐂𝐈𝐑𝐂𝐄 | 𝘢 𝘴𝘢𝘧𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯
| 𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐃 | 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴...
| 𝐍𝐘𝐌𝐏𝐇 | 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴?
| 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐂𝐘𝐎𝐍 | 𝘰𝘱𝘩𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘯'𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘢 (*TW)
𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐞
| 𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐉𝐀𝐍 | 𝘮𝘪𝘥𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘪𝘭

| 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 | 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘴

115 12 16
By bouncygnocchi

Athena was the Greek goddess of wisdom, reason, and strategic warfare. She also aided the heroes Perseus, Heracles, and Jason in their endeavours. Her symbols are owls and olive trees. Over time, she has become an international symbol of wisdom, the arts, and classical learning. 

»»————««

🖤

d r a c o

It was close to midnight when Lorcan and Susan finally returned. They gusted through the doors with grave expressions, bringing the chilly night air with them. Hannah leapt to her feet. "Well? Did you find anything?"

Susan stood before us. Her lips parted to say something, but the words could not seem to find their way out. "I'll go make some tea," she squeaked and hurried away. Our gazes shifted to Lorcan. He slapped a black file onto the table. "It's bad," he said.

I stared at it. What would it show me? That Angel was dead? Kidnapped and murdered by the escaped Barnabas? My hands were shaking as they moved to open it.

The first thing I saw was her picture, the one she had taken for her before starting her new job at the Ministry. She was smiling at the camera, a full smile that turned the corners of her eyes down. The same one she had given me a thousand times over, one I now realised I had not seen in months. My last memory of her was her steely expression, cut by a blade of anguish. I want you to leave.

I read what they had written next to the photograph. Details - everything they knew about her. Name, age, address, family, blood status, school, and even the house she was in. In 'Additional' at the bottom, they had described her role in the Second Wizarding War. Fought at the Viaduct Courtyard, provided healing aid to victims, saved husband Draco Malfoy from the Killing Curse (?)

I wanted to laugh. Angel Dawson was larger than a thousand galaxies. In her, there was neither beginning nor end, only a forever of in-between where strength and kindness lived undyingly. Yet, they had her neatly condensed onto a singular piece of parchment, a skeletal structure of information that suggested she was anything but heavenly.

"S.C. to L.M." Hannah was craning her neck to read. "What's that?"

Lorcan reached out to snatch the slip out of the paperclip, revealing a second folded piece of parchment under. Hannah's deft fingers beat mine to it. Her voice rang clear around the room, reverberating within me as she read its contents out loud.

It was a poem. Pretty words that spoke of an event to happen, and a baby born of love and sacrifice, to be condemned to death the second it leaves its mother's womb. None of the words meant anything to me. That was until-

"Serena Cheng to... Lucius... Malfoy," Hannah finished, lowering the parchment. Somewhere in the room, a clock ticked steadily. "It's Lucius Malfoy," she finally concluded. "That fucking sewer rat has taken Angel!"

"No, he hasn't," I argued. "Just because this- this message was given to my father doesn't mean anything!"

"No, mate, you don't understand." Lorcan stepped towards me, slowly, as if I were a wild animal. "It's a prophecy. We found it at the Ministry. It was tagged to Angel's folder."

I knew that. I just did not want to accept it. A dreadful feeling came over me, like I was tied to a boulder and thrown into the sea. An inevitable death I could not escape. I refused to meet his eyes. "So it's our baby, then."

Susan had reappeared, standing in my peripheral with the tea tray in her hands. I heard her sudden intake of air. "Y- you know?" she whispered. "She's told you?"

"Codrus," I snorted.

She set the tray on the table gently. "She didn't mean to keep it from you. Honestly. She was just... scared."

Her tone irritated me. I hated how they acted like I was some fragile creature, so afraid to offend lest my volatile temper would explode and impale them with its shrapnel. Even so, I could not even lift my head to nod.

Why did it seem like every unfortunate event wrought upon Angel circled back to me? Was I not her sworn protector? Had I not promised, in front of all our friends and family, that I would be her friend, lover, and keeper of her soul until every single star in the sky has burned out? 

"Where's Lucius now? Anyone has any idea at all?" Hannah looked at me pointedly. "No," I sighed. "My parents recast the protection charms over the house after I moved out with Angel."

"So, you're telling me... you have no idea where your own bloody house is?"

"No."

"Why do you never know anything?" said Hannah hotly. "Has those years of slobbing about rotted your brain? Tell me, what do you know, Malfoy? Because while you've been kicking your feet up at home, Angel has been running about trying to juggle between working, keeping house, and wiping your shithole. And now she's gone! If you even care at all, you'd grow a pair and say something useful for once in your pathetic life!" 

My insides boiled. It had barely been two days and I already fucking hated the lot of them. Hannah was insufferable, Susan a cowering mouse, and Lorcan was the most cocky git I had ever met. I would rather share the same cell in Azkaban with Harry Potter, Pansy Parkinson, and a Hippogriff than spend another second with them.

I was on the brink of unleashing a torrent of insults back at her when there was a tap on the windows, so soft I might have missed it if my head had not been buried in my hands in an attempt to block out Hannah's incessant yapping. 

Tap, tap, tap. 

"Shut up, Abbott," I said suddenly, stopping Hannah short mid-sentence. Tap, tap, tap. Her mouth fell open. "Excuse me? I beg your pardon-"

"Just shut up."

Tap, tap, tap.

Outside, the street was empty, illuminated only by the street lamps with a dull, ghostly glow. They watched as I moved to the windows, straining my ears. Tap, tap, tap. There it was again, louder now that I was nearer. A little shadow perched on the sill outside, just where the light did not shine.

I hauled the window open, and a flutter of brown feathers brushed past me into the house and onto the coffee table. It was a little owl, so small I could hold it in my open palm. Susan took the parchment from its beak. 

"I don't get it," she frowned. "They're... numbers. Just a string of them and nothing else."

Lorcan, who had been peering over her shoulder, plucked it from her grasp. "No, it's not." He hurried away into another room, us following curiously. 

Unlike the rest of the house, which had been kept rather tidy, this one room was in complete disarray. The desk and lamp were barely visible under the mountain of books and parchment that covered it. Tacked to the wall was a map of the world so large it spanned from one end to the other. A small stepladder leaned against it, to reach the top. 

Hastily dunking a quill in ink, Lorcan climbed the ladder and marked a small cross high up on the map. "What is it?" Susan asked, the little owl nestled comfortably in her cupped hands.

He did not respond, clambering down to pull something else from under the mess - a smaller map. He pushed everything off the table and unfurled it flush against its surface. His head twisted back and forth between the owl's note and the map. His fingertips skimmed lightly over the grids, and once he found his place, marked it with another 'x'. 

"They're coordinates..." he said breathlessly. "Look," he pointed to the map on the wall. "Fifty-seven dot four. Scotland." Then, holding out the smaller one for us - "Fifty-six, thirty-nine, fifteen dot four, thirty-five, thirty-seven. That puts us right in the middle of Rannoch Moor." He punched it with his finger. "Suzie, you said Serena Cheng lives in the Scottish moors. If I'm right about this, Rannoch Moor is where we'll find her."

"We have to go," I said, already turning away. "Wait!" called Susan. "We don't know where this letter came from. It could be a trap!"

"Well, you can stay here and make more bloody tea, then!" I growled, trying my best not to lose my temper at poor Susan, who fell silent immediately.

Hannah clamped a hand on my shoulder. "Susan's right. And how d'you suppose we get there, anyways? Look, Malfoy, I'm all for going to save Angel but can we at least attempt to not make any stupid mistakes?"

I hated when Hannah was right. And she was, far too often. Worst of all, she knew this too. "Now," she said to us. "We can't Apparate there because none of us have ever been. We don't have brooms, and Muggle transport would take ages. Ideas, anybody?"

Something tugged at the back of my mind. Something about the Second Wizarding War that my father had told us during one of the Death Eater meetings. When Harry had gotten the vision of Sirius in trouble at the Ministry, the Trio had to get there as quick as they could, and they hadn't used brooms. It was something else. Something faster.

"I have one," I said.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

The Thestrals were already there by the pond, their elegant necks dipped down to sip the silver water. Above us, the moon presided over the clearing with its boastful light.

"By Helga..." Susan muttered under her breath. It was enough for them to notice us. They startled at the sudden presence of so many people at once, some backing away.

But their attitude changed once more, suddenly becoming curious again. Their white pupil-less eyes shone as they began to inch towards us.

It was then I noticed Susan was holding out a piece of raw meat. Where on Godric's good earth she pulled that from, I had no idea. Hufflepuffs bewildered me to no end, and I could only watch as they stepped through the pond, my favourite one now standing a mere feet away.

It took the meat from her hands and allowed her to stroke it. "I have more where that came from," she spoke to it softly. "Take us to Rannoch Moor, and you and your friends can have as much as you want."

It neighed in agreement, the same shrill, bleating noise. The others followed suite, turning the air around us cold as winter.

And so began our journey to the Scottish moors. We rode under the cover of night, the ridges of the Thestral's spine bumpy under me. We went faster than the fastest broom, and despite the circumstances, it was... enjoyable. Invigorating, even, if I had been given the liberty to say. We hooted, the roar of the wind carrying away our shouts of delight as soon as they left our mouths.

I remembered the time Harry had been selected to ride on the Hippogriff that one time in Care of Magical Creatures. It had always been Harry Potter. People and animals alike always flocked to him, never me, so I told myself I did not want that anyway.

All that changed when I met Angel. She gave me everything I never had, everything I never deserved, and more. Now, even in her absence, she was giving me an experience I would never have thought possible. There was a sudden and painful pang in my heart.

"Malfoy!" Hannah shouted across from her Thestral, turning my head. "This was a great idea! Perhaps the only one you've ever had!" She grinned at me, her golden hair blowing behind like a tiny stream of sunshine.

It was likely the smile I returned her was lopsided, but she did not seem to notice or mind. I supposed I could tolerate an hour in an Azkaban cell with her.

When the initial exhilaration had died down, we focused on the grey clouds ahead. The landscape behind us was changing. The cities had faded away, now replaced with rolling hills and snaking rivers.

Finally, it came into view. A solitary, dilapidated hut in the boggy moorland. It looked strange and foreboding in the middle of miles and miles of nothingness.

We landed with a thump and slid off the Thestrals. The earth was soft beneath our shoes, sinking half an inch with each step. It was quiet, but the lights in the house were on. We exchanged looks before knocking on the door.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

A/N: Hey guys! So glad Lorcan's Ravenclaw qualities got to shine in this chapter. None of them would've been able to figure out Amora's letter otherwise 😂 I know the plot is a little confusing so far, but the next chapter should provide more clarity and exposition. Thanks for sticking around! x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134 4 3
A Gryffindor turned Death Eater. A Reaper so fearsome he made the gates of hell look like heaven. And an age old Malfoy matrimonial ritual that bin...
2.2K 118 59
Oh my love, My sweet love. Draco never thought that he could find the love that he found in Mara. Their love blossoming in their fourth year was th...
19.9K 534 34
Fanfic combining Vampire Diaries and Harry Potter... - In a world where vampires and death eaters are completely against each other, Katherine Moon a...
22.9K 552 36
☆ second story in the sequel ☆ • go read "Blood to Love | 3rd year" if you haven't! ✰☽♡𑁍✯☼ He cursed under his breath. "I don't know what to do!" "...