Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 1: The Deal
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 4: At First Dance
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 8: Love In The Air?
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Epilogue
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days

74 20 147
By angeldawn09

Wendell

In front of the capital gate, Wendell and Saelufu chat while waiting for their friend to arrive. Now down to mere minutes until the festive yearly parade will commence, yet the cheerful girl is nowhere to be seen. His mother strictly ordered him to return before dark but made an exception for this event, because it's held near home. Families of all sizes are making their way toward the destination as he glances at his pocket watch.

"Kana is running a tad late."

"I'm sure she'll be here soon enough. Mentioning her, I am surprised Kana asked just Frederick here and not you."

"Well she did but I had already agreed he would go. Still, I suppose it works better this way."

After all, to discover Kana's true feelings he'll need her to spend more time with his secret identity as possible. They took their first step at friendship when she invited him over for supper earlier this week. He had planned to swap so he wouldn't be forced to turn down her invitation. Though considering the parade doesn't last very long, it's less of a hassle to have only Frederick attend.

"Oh, I actually signed up for the swordsmanship class at the Royal Warriors Association. Luckily, I caught them the last day before acceptance was closed. I wanted to resume my combat lessons and you're well aware of Roland's recent passing," Wendell informs, changing the subject, this peaking the dwarf's interest.

"It is unfortunate to lose another person so soon after your father," she mumbles, and he did share a tight bond with the aged man instructing him for over two years. "I'm surprised you didn't just request another private trainer. That would be much easier and one of them is probably more experienced."

"...There's been a lot on my mother's plate as of late so I wanted to train there temporarily while things get sorted out. Then I'll return to doing my swordsmanship lessons at home. Besides, going to the schoolhouse made me curious what attending an elite academy will be like."

Some truth lies in his answer though he's not sharing with her the full details surrounding it. Wendell promised his mother not to tell a single soul about their near future battle. This also includes his best friend, therefore, the prince needs to be careful not to let anything slip.

"...I see. The Royal Warriors Association is a place where the majority of soldiers graduated so their lessons should still come in handy. Similar to school, that course will be much different--especially enrolling as yourself, but I'm sure you can handle it!" she brightly encourages, and Wendell is almost certain the dwarf knows he's hiding something.

Maybe she's deciding not to pry for any information right now...

"Hey, you guys! I'm sorry...for the wait!" Kana runs up to join them clearly winded with the beats of sweat visible despite the evening breeze.

"You're finally here. What took you so long?" Saelufu questions. "I almost thought you forgot all about our plans."

"...I had only laid down to take a small nap and kinda overslept," she admits, wearing an awkward smile.

Yet again, Kana had to be out working in this miserable heat similar to yesterday.
Running around town even on the weekends must be tiresome, though he is aware she probably can't afford to take days off. Not until the aid is delivered at least, but since other families are struggling, it could be quite the delay.

I hope she isn't pushing herself too hard. Given Kana doesn't know Frederick very well, she may just dismiss my concerns if I breach the topic. Furthermore, she seems to be under stress trying to balance work, education, and home life...

"Is something wrong?" Kana asks, both staring at the male, and he quickly shakes his head.

"Nah, I'm just real excited about the parade. Let's all have a great time together."

If he can't say anything then the best option is to ensure she relaxes and has some fun tonight.

"Come on, we need to hurry and find a good spot to watch from!" Saelufu takes the lead as the two stick close behind her.

Despite such a crowd, the trio manages to squeeze forward getting a front-row view of the galore. At the cue of loud trumpets, several decorated stages begin to gradually come down the road. Each one being pulled by numerous horses all gathered up for this very event. The first stage holds people dressed elegantly from head to toe, and a circus act follows next dancing through dangerous flames. Every stage has a unique theme making it quite different from the previous. Forever an amazing sight to see for older residents and newcomers alike.

"The circus act can't ever be topped! Those guys manage to take the risk up a notch year after year," Saelufu says, her hazel eyes not leaving the flipping jesters.

"That's cool but I personally love the candy wagon as my favorite. They even toss out free bags to children while riding by." Kana glances at the male beside her. "What about you, Frederick? This is pretty neat, right?"

"I think it's outstandin! We've never had any celebrations remotely similar where I lived back in Narrok. You get to experience this magic once a year," he responds, hoping he isn't overdoing his reaction.

"The parade is popular but it was nowhere near this large of a turnout last year. I think people wanted to celebrate the war finally at an end. Times like these in particular have made the earlier suffering feel so far away." Kana glances at the joyous crowd behind them with a warm smile. Though her words cause his stomach to turn, reminding him their relief is only temporary. The prince shakes away such depressing thoughts and refocuses on the road.

Once the numerous stages have passed, the final most anticipated finisher remains. Everyone looks toward the castle in the distance and fireworks now light up the dark skies. These colorful explosions are created by alchemists: People who use resources to make special concoctions that aren't for medical purposes. They always launch them where the royal household can get the best viewing. A typical closing note for the parade and their show is bright as ever.

"Thought it was over, did you? The fireworks are the main reason I refuse to skip this parade. Awesome no matter how many times I've seen it," Saelufu says, as they gaze up at the magnificent explosions that continue to burst.

Even if the prince has witnessed this since a young boy it never seems to lose that spark. His mind drifts back to fonder memories when he, his father, and Wendy would watch from alongside the castle balcony. Regardless of how busy of a schedule, the late king always spent it with them in high spirits. It was a special tradition that was never once broken until tonight.

I guess it's still hard to accept the fact that he truly is gone...

Against his will the prince's ocean eyes get misty, seeming to grab both girls' attention. Naturally, the two express their concerns as Wendell is quick in yanking the tip of his hat down. He needs to get his emotions under control, not being the time or place for a breakdown.

"I-I'm fine really! Something was just in my eyes is all! You girls worry too much!"

"Are you sure that's it?" Kana gently presses, and after rubbing any tears threatening to spill, the prince looks up with a forced grin.

"...Yeah, guess I couldn't handle the brightness of the fireworks. Sorry if I worried y'all for a second there."

Saelufu bites her lip at his excuse not saying a word. Perhaps catching unto why he got emotional but can't mention it in Kana's presence. As for the brunette, her emerald eyes also hold a certain sadness.

"You know, it suddenly occurred to me what grave mistake I made in asking the prince to join us. Wendell had recently lost his father and their family used to watch the parade from home yearly. I forgot all about that and it's probably the real reason he turned down my invitation. Gosh, I feel so stupid for asking..."

Right, I did tell her that...

It truthfully slipped his mind that he ever shared such a thing, further yet for her to still remember. This does bring a warm sensation in his chest as he turns to the girl with a genuine smile.

"I'm not sure on the details but I say ya shouldn't be. Simply goin out of your way to include him was a generous act in itself. No need to beat yourself up over it," he insists, the tenderness reflecting on her own face.

"Thanks, you're right. I am glad you were able to have fun, Frederick. The three of us should come again next year and maybe Wendell can join us too," Kana suggests, though there won't be another one quite like this. Nonetheless, the friends enjoy the rest of the fireworks show in much higher spirits. Wendell is glad more than ever he didn't skip out and spent it with two others who are just as important to him.

💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌

"Come on, it's this way!" His upbeat little sister exclaims, pulling him by the arm giddily down the road.

"Alright, slow down a bit. You're going to run into someone," he cautions, though feels relieved at her excitement after his betrayal last night. She couldn't join them at the parade, given he went as Frederick, and her watching alongside Margaret wasn't quite the same. To make up for it the prince decides this is the perfect chance to visit a certain tea shop. Wendy kept nagging to dine at Versace and now she finally will.

Reaching the cafe both siblings make their way inside and it's practically full although early noon. Wendell regrets they didn't come at opening hour knowing how popular this new establishment has been. The large room is laid out in purple and pink with circular tables seating many nobles. Even the spotless floor holds a brilliant shine, understanding the visual appeal at least. A sweet aroma in the air has his stomach growl as an assortment of pastries are on display.

"Wow, there's so much to choose from!" The small girl hops up and down trying to get a good look at the selection.

"You'll be able to see clearly when it's our turn, though I hope we can find a table..." he mumbles, but before they can get in line footsteps scurry their direction.

"My lovely Prince Charming is here!"

"Woah!"

The impact almost has him lose his balance being squeezed tightly from behind. To Wendell's surprise, it is none other than his current fiancee bear hugging him to death. She isn't alone either with a familiar strawberry blonde accompanying her.

It's the same boy again. He must be that cousin she spoke of...

"We haven't got the opportunity to speak since the royal ball. Oh, how I've longed to see you again!"

"W-Well actually I can't-"

"This must be your sister. Aren't you the cutest thing ever." Blanche cuts off his poor excuse pinching at the girl's puffed cheeks.

"I'm not a little kid you know! I'll turn eight years old in another five months."

"If you've yet to even reach double digits, I'd say you technically are one," he teases, Wendy then spinning around to face her brother with a pout.

"You act so grown up just because you're engaged!"

The door swings open once more revealing two others he didn't expect to run into this afternoon. Kana greets him with a formal bow and the usual butterflies fill his stomach.

"Good afternoon, Your Highness. Seems we shouldn't have come by on a Monday, huh? It's far busier than what I thought."

"I say it is fortunate we all stopped here at the same time. And you're...Lucille if I'm not mistaken?" he questions, speaking to the female just a handful of times.

"That's right! We spoke briefly at the palace ball, Wendell-I mean, Your Highness," she is quick to correct, her bright smile unwavering.

The teen is tall on par with Kana's height, having unblemished brown skin, shoulder-length red hair in two braids, and golden eyes. Her bubbly attitude makes it hard for the prince to remember that they're the same age. Such fancy clothes are proof she hails from wealth and is a close friend of the brunette.

"Indeed, we did. It's nice to see you're doing well."

"Are these friends of yours? Why don't we all get a table to sit together? A large group just finished towards the back," Blanche suggests, and it's nearly impossible to escape her now.

"Sure, though everyone still needs to order."

"Not a problem, we'll hold the table."

They separate, Blanche and the boy taking off to claim their spot as the rest go stand at the back of the steadily growing line.

After regrouping with their choice of desserts and order of tea, everyone gathers around the table. First, they take a moment for some much-needed introductions as strangers are seated among them. The relative beside Blanche is in fact her cousin Justus and the girls also exchange greetings.

"I've eaten here just twice but their cake is heavenly. I can see why this little shop is always so packed." Blanche takes another bite of almond cake that's nearly gone given she arrived much sooner.

"You're fairly new to Everlane, yes? I'm a resident in the capital but visit often so I can show you all the hotspots!" Lucille volunteers, causing her amethyst eyes to light up.

"Sounds splendid! I would love to venture around the capital too since I'll be moving there soon."

Blanche then turns to the ribbon haired girl with a tilt of the head.

"Hey, are you from Chestlen or perhaps live here? Though I couldn't imagine either with that outfit you're wearing..." The noble stares at Kana up and down as she fidgets slightly.

"Ah, no, of course not. I'm...actually from Rainswood."

"You mean that poverty-stricken village eastward! Oh, you poor thing to have and live in such unfortunate conditions. Thankfully you have a generous friend to treat you with luxuries we enjoy every day."

Blanche probably didn't mean to come off offensive, but it's evident she never mingled much with lower-class citizens back home. The brunette is seemingly at a loss of words on how to even respond, and Wendell is about to speak up when the redhead across from him slams down her cup.

"Kana has always been a very hard worker. Even if times are hard with the recent war, her family pulls together strongly. She's not one to be pitied," Lucille explains kindly enough, yet he can sense a hint of anger despite her wide grin.

"I-I see, my apologies then. Hopefully, your situation will get far smoother now that the conflict has ended."

The awkward tension passing through the conversation continues as before. It's not exactly the planned afternoon he had in mind for him and his younger sister. Still, getting to chat with Kana like this is a positive note.

Looking over at her plate, the prince is surprised by what dessert rests upon it. The girl ordered basic rice pudding but there are tons of better options she could have chosen. Maybe Kana didn't want to pick anything too expensive since Lucille is treating her.

"Kana, if you'd like to try the strawberry crepe, can I buy one for you to take home? I thought you might have overlooked it on the menu."

"What, you don't have to do that! I'm content with just this," she protests, but he refuses to take no for an answer so easily.

"I don't mind at all. That's why I'm offering, besides, it's your favorite, is it not?"

"Yeah, I haven't eaten one in a long time. Thank you very much then, Your Highness. I'll be sure to savor every single bite of it."

The gesture puts a sugar-sweet smile on her lips and that's plenty rewarding in itself. Wendell might loathe people begging for him things but it's different when he willingly wants to do something nice. Kana seems so independent and he hopes she'll pass the little test soon, thus removing any doubts of false intentions from his distrustful mind.

Little does he realize a certain boy is observing this interaction at the opposite end of the table. Justus keeps a quiet eye on the two left in their world as they finish up eating. When everyone is done he purchases her carryout dessert as requested, though getting a second for his pleading sister to have back at the castle tonight. Afterward, Kana and Lucille are first to depart with the four remaining not far behind them.

"Goodbye, My Love! Until our next meeting at the royal palace." Blanche gives her final hug before blowing him a kiss.

"...Blanche, I need to speak with the prince alone for a minute."

To his surprise, the person who requested is the boy that hardly spoke three words while dining inside.

"But whatever about?"

"I-It's private, okay! This won't take long so I'll catch up with you." Justus crosses his arms, seeming quite determined on the matter. She next glances at him as if he knows the answer to her relative's odd behavior. Wendell simply shrugs his shoulders in return, not sure of what the motive could be.

"Fine, I'll start ahead then..." His fiancee complies and slowly takes off down the road.

Once Blanche is well out of earshot the younger male releases a deep exhale. Wendell can't imagine why he wants to chat privately, and Justus kept silent fixated on his dessert the entire time. If the topic happens to turn into a serious discussion, his sister is distracted playing with butterflies' feet away from them.

Having a good look at him the cousins don't share any physical characteristics, though that's to be expected with each having different parents. Justus's short stature is nice to see considering most teen boys are above the prince in height. His lilac eyes remain pinned down to the ground, which Wendell can't say if he is shy, anti-social, or a mixture of both.

"Listen, I'm not good at beating around the bush with these things. This might seem a little straightforward but I just want an honest answer... That Kana girl, you have feelings for her, don't you?"

"W-What now?!" he stammers, failing to prevent his voice from cracking.

Did I just hear him correctly? I don't understand how he noticed after only an hour of seeing us together! I should give him some excuse...

It's probably too late to lie as the warmth in his cheeks must speak volumes, including that flustered reaction. Another reminder he should learn to be more concealed than expressive with his emotions. However, Wendell can respond truthfully to an extent and still avoid mentioning a word of the deal.

"I've...been in love with Kana for some time now but the situation is a complicated one. I'm sure you're aware this marriage arrangement is being forced upon me by my mother."

"Then my hunch was right... Truth be told my cousin isn't really in love with you either. Blanche is infatuated by the lifestyle she'll receive when you two exchange vows."

In reality, Blanche doesn't believe they're destined soulmates but instead focuses on his crown like everybody else. Even if she refuses to believe it, Justus has realized her heart's desires. At least this confirmation lessens the guilt about his mother's terms to a future wife of his choosing.

"I have to ask that you please keep this a secret from your cousin. It would cause friction between us if she knew my heart yearns for someone else."

"That's the reason I sent her ahead in the first place. When this engagement soon crumbles apart, which it will, I just hope you let her down easy. Properly cut ties rather than shutting Blanche out to her shame."

His request is so genuine he couldn't possibly refuse him. Justus went through all of this trouble to protect his cousin's image and her confused heart. Such a kind act is solid proof the two of them must be very close.

"Yes, I promise if this marriage is called off for any purpose we'll talk face-to-face," he earnestly declares, and Justus looks up with a tender smile.

"Thanks, that's all I needed to hear."

Business handled, the boy departs and Wendell's ocean eyes drift up toward the clear skies. If the day comes to propose he won't forget about fulfilling their conversation before doing so. Until then nobody else can discover his feelings, more importantly, Kana herself.

A/N That wraps up this chapter. How do you feel about the two new characters introduced so far? I know things progress slow but it picks up with a new P.O.V next update^^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 1.9K 47
✅ Complete ✅ When Campbell Kramer accepted a job offer in Manhattan, she never could've imagined what the city had in store for her. Namely, two hand...
33.2K 2K 39
Two personalities from different worlds. Can the troubled pasts that brought them to the same place bring them LOVE? Can love endure their troubled p...
380K 20K 71
~Alpha Awards 2023 Winner~ Wattpad official Werewolf page Visena Sage knows two things for sure. Her name, and that she's part Faery. After waking...
139K 7.9K 74
Supernatural creatures are real. They are a part of the world now, instead of hiding in the shadows. They want to belong. Will they? When Davyna's mo...