Inside The House

By _Maxwell_Porter_

Inside The House Trilogy - BOOK 1 A tour to Europe sounds like a sensational road trip plan for any American... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
Epilouge
Acknowledgments and a short note from the author

IX

301 23 0
By _Maxwell_Porter_

- Well, a little better, but it's still not that. Try it like I showed you. First the leg forward, then the leg raise, then the jump. - I said to the cheerleaders, whose dancing skills were, to put it mildly, awful.

Yes, the weekend is over and with it, Monday has begun. It is probably an hour after school and I am practicing dance routines with the cheerleaders. I'm following through on a promise I made to the coach. It's rather bizarre that the coach has me training these girls instead of ordering me to practice under his tutelage for the first dance competition. That one will be held in two days. Miraculously, I was added to the list of those willing to participate. I guess it wasn't hard because the competition is in Hightwater, which is local. There isn't even an age group breakdown, and there are supposedly a handful of participants. The next contest will be in two weeks. This one will take place in the town I've already been to, the one with the airport where Gregory picked me and my mom up. The level is supposedly high there. It remains to be seen. As I said, I intend to dance my way into a strong position at this school. Not because I have that ambition just so that asshole Rayan won't be so confident that only he, Randal and Alex are capable of bringing pride to the school. I'm so proud of them, pounding each other with their fists like barbarians. No finesse, no taste. They're just practicing some punches or kicks at a safe distance from me. Honestly, I don't know. I am not interested in boxing. Especially now this sport seems to be even less interesting for me than before.

Apropos Rayan. I read the rest of the "In the Night at Midnight" short. From what I read, it appears that Annabelle is shot with a bow by Otto himself. The whole story was confusing but I understand that Annabelle who fell in love with Otto died by accident (as corny as that may sound). She was torn apart by her love for a young man and at the same time loved her homeland. The implication of all this is that the lovers did not get along. The night Annabelle died, troops of Annabelle's countrymen surrounded the castle. The princess secretly plotted with the lord commanding the army behind the castle that she would open the castle gates at midnight that night and the knights would take control of the castle without bloodshed. Otto on the other hand had a very similar idea. That same night he decided that he would surrender the castle so that without bloodshed the princess' allies would take control of it. He wanted to do this out of love for the girl. Unfortunately, when he went to the tower at midnight to raise the white flag, he mistook Annabelle for a spy whose purpose was to open the gates of the castle so that an enemy army could enter and slaughter Otto's fellow soldiers along with himself. The young man wanted to avoid this at all costs, so without thinking, he shot his bow at the woman's side. When he heard the woman's groan of pain after releasing the arrow, he realized what he had done. He ran down the stairs into the courtyard and grabbed the princess into his arms. What followed were confessions of self-love, bitter tears of despair, and Annabelle died in his arms. Stunned, Otto went to the gate, opened it and when the soldiers outside the walls saw that their beloved princess had been murdered, they slaughtered the castle. They spared no one, and their first victim was Otto.

I really haven't read shit like this in a long time. How could you even write something so hopeless? Obviously this is a great national work, because under the guise of affection and love, great devotion to the country I currently live in is shown. I'm not surprised that no one wanted to perform this play. It's awful, and act ten scene nine is a veritable armageddon of pseudo-romance. Rayan knows it too. He knew it from the beginning, but damn it, it's not my fault. He's the reason we have to play this out. I think really anything would be better, just not this. It's not gonna happen anyway. Rayan and I don't talk to each other because why should we? Maybe my cultural studies teacher will look at me more favorably. She herself knows very well who I have for an assignment partner.

- Max, are you okay now? - I was snapped out of my reverie by one of the cheerleaders who was unsuccessfully trying to repeat the steps I showed them.

- It gets better, but don't look at it as a chore for the girls to do. Look at it this way, the better you dance, the better the guys will box, or whatever it is they do. - I replied, trying to encourage the cheerleaders to try harder at practicing their dance routines.

It must have been late, because the stands were almost completely deserted. In this school, watching boxers practice was a kind of ritual. Aurelia was gone, too. She could have waited so Buck wouldn't have to drive to school for us twice. But of course Princess Aurelia does what she wants. I should really get used to it. Although I shouldn't be thinking about her in the first place... Although I admit I did feel a little satisfaction at Aurelia being jealous of my contact with Kevin. It must have hurt her that her beloved cousin liked me. I guess she didn't expect him to talk to me and be friendly himself. On Sunday while the snow blizzard was still going on, we sat in the living room all day talking. Not alone, because of course the whole family accompanied us. Apolonia did not say much, but that was known. Although I've only known him for the second day, I can already tell that he is very nice and friendly. I do not know much about him, because apart from our nightly conversation over vodka, we did not have the opportunity to socialize more. I think there will still be time for that. Maybe we can talk again today? It would be really nice.

- Max and will you be at the party tonight? - This time I was snapped out of my reverie by another cheerleader.

Party. Roxana has invited a good portion of people from our class and other groups to a house party on Sunday. It's supposed to take place in her "shed", whatever that means. Today she even asked me personally if I would come. I said I didn't know. I had no desire to go there considering the fact that Rayan and his friends would be there. Elizabeth said I was stupid for not wanting to come and assimilate with the group because of those guys. Maybe she was right, but the prospect of Alex's silly remarks or Rayan's hostile looks didn't amuse me. Besides, it's Monday. Who throws parties on Monday? Besides, it behooves me to prepare in any way I can for this dance competition. Admittedly, my coach told me to treat this competition as a warm-up, but I don't want to overestimate my dancing skills.

- I don't think so. - I said. - Hands up. - I added when the girl was doing a dance move.

- Don't be afraid of the guys. You're so cool, and we'll protect you from them. So come. - Another cheerleader replied.

Nothing like gossip. I think the whole school already knows that I don't have a friendly relationship with the school boxers. I don't want to guess whose fault it is, but I'm sure Aurelia had a hand in it. That's another reason why I shouldn't be there. First building a position through dance achievements, then a social life.

The workout was over. I slowly followed the guys on the team as I also had to change. I had managed to avoid their company earlier because I was late for practice. I was purposely late. Now I had no excuse not to head to the locker room with them.

At first they didn't even pay attention to me. Then it started. Alex said something to the other guys about me and they all burst out laughing. Rayan was smiling under his breath and so was Randal. I tried not to pay attention to them, so I got dressed as quickly as I could. As I was doing this, I could feel the stares on me and I had a feeling that all the jokes that were made in the locker room were with an undertone to my person. Once I was dressed in my black pants and pale pink sweatshirt I headed for the exit.

- Porter, why are you dressing like a fag? - Shouted Alex in my direction and everyone roared with laughter again.

My answer came as quickly as a wave of anger filled me. I turned toward them.

- I don't want to stand apart from you, Alex.

There was silence at first. Alex's eyes seemed to shrink and his fists clenched. Someone laughed, though, and quite loudly.

- Bro, well Porter has explained you. - Said Rayan with a slight smile looking at his friend.

Behind Rayan, the other boys in the locker room began giggling nervously. Except for Alex, of course. It seemed Rayan had developed an indifference to my person again? I could expect an answer of any kind from anyone but the doberman. Another option is also that he took the opportunity to upset Alex. I'm not sure, but Elizabeth mentioned something to the effect that Rayan and Alex had a slight argument about Alex going to act out his theater scene with Roxana. And as I'm well aware, Rayan is into Roxana. Jealousy often destroys even the best relationships between teammates. It doesn't seem like anything serious, as I said maybe it's just a slight disagreement between them.

I left the locker room as quickly as possible. If luck allowed, I wouldn't have to deal with these assholes. I put on my jacket, grabbed my backpack and left the school. It was very cold, but it wasn't snowing. After the weekend snow blizzard, the roads were quickly cleared of layers of snow. Only the low temperature persisted, -12 degrees Celsius.

I spotted a big black car belonging to the Van Rostovs. Buck arrived before I had time to call for him. Probably because it's so cold. As I approached the car, I noticed something strange. Like Buck had grown a little? Had he put on weight? But like that in one day? When I got close enough, I realized that instead of Buck, Kevin was in the driver's seat. I got in the car.

- Hi, Max. - He said hello.

- Hey Kevin. - I replied closing the door behind me. I decided to sit next to him in the front seat. - What's wrong with Buck? Is something wrong?

- No, it's okay, I said, I'll go get you. - He replied and started the car. - How was school?

- As it is in school basically. Nothing new. - I said. - Is Aurelia home yet?

Kevin furrowed his brow and squirmed. Something wasn't right.

- Yeah. She is finishing getting ready for the party at Roxana's, whoever she is. - He replied, although the embarrassment could be heard in his voice.

- I thought Aurelia wasn't allowed out of the house? Wasn't she somehow grounded by Luna? - I asked.

- Well, she is not allowed to go out... but such a stupid situation Max came out. - Kevin spoke in an embarrassed voice. He scratched his head with one hand and smiled goofily.

- Don't tell me you're going with her. - I asked and got momentarily angry. Aurelia is going to go to Roxana's party even though I'm the one who goes to the same group with Roxana and not Aurelia? Besides, how could Kevin get an invitation from a teenage girl? After all, he doesn't even know Roxana. He doesn't?

Driving out of town, Kevin tried to put his words together in a sentence that made sense, but it wasn't working. So they go, and I stay home. Not cool.

- Well, that's the thing, I'm not going with her. - he continued.

- So who's going to this party with her? Just say it because it sounds weird. - I dragged on about it, irritated.

- You go with her.

- What?

Me going with Aurelia to Roxana's party? Why did Aurelia tell him such nonsense? I'll explain the situation right away.

- I'm not going to the party with Aurelia. - I replied already calm. - I wasn't even going to go by myself. Aurelia lied to you. - I said being pleased with myself. I felt like Kevin was the judge and I was the prosecutor in a court of law that exposed Aurelia's evil deeds.

- Yes I know, but before she did I believed her. - He replied looking at the road in front of him driving the car. - Luna of course forbade Aurelia to go out anywhere and there was a brawl in the house, but suddenly Aurelia said Max is coming with her. So I interjected into the discussion. I said it was true because you had mentioned to me that you were going together to "bury the hatchet". I didn't realize at first that Aurelia was lying, but I was so excited that you guys wanted to spend some time together that it didn't occur to me at all that Aurelia was lying... In fact, I realized it was a lie right after I told Luna that it was a good idea for the young ones to be friends with each other and get to know each other better. Sorry. I lied to Luna because at first I thought you really had talked to Aurelia about it. I'm sorry.

This information was like a blow on the cheek for me. I knew what it meant.

- That is, if I don't go it will come out that you lied to Luna. - I stated.

- Yes. - He replied very embarrassed.

At first I was very angry with Kevin, and even more angry with Aurelia for implicating me in the intrigue without my permission or knowledge. But what was my way out of this situation? Kevin was one of the few people who wanted to build a friendship with me. I didn't want to let him down. Besides, if I told Luna the truth, I would come off as a snitch and we would all suffer. Kevin will come off as a liar, I'll come off as a snitch, and Aurelia...actually, Aurelia just won't get hurt. She hates her mother already, so if her lie is exposed, it won't change anything.

- Then I'll go. - I replied with an all too noticeable reluctance in my voice. By the way, to a person not familiar with my position, it might seem very strange that a teenager should be persuaded to go to a party.

- Max, thanks a lot. - Kevin replied with obvious relief in his voice. He looked with his black eyes into my blue eyes. Even though they were dark, I could see a spark of joy in them. - You will see, it will not be so bad. In case something happens, you will call for me. If Aurelia protests, I will drag her out of this party by her feet.

I laughed as I imagined Aurelia clinging to the liquor bottle and Kevin dragging her by her feet toward the exit.

We arrived at the Von Rostov house. The party was about to start, so Kevin instructed me to get ready quickly. I didn't want to rush, I wasn't going to rush. Aurelia, might be late, hard. Aurelia should be kissing my feet for showing her such kindness and allowing her to go to the party. Walking to my room, I decided to look at the clock hanging on the wall, or the paintings depicting some characters I didn't know. The journey to my room dragged much longer than usual. On the way, I met Pyra walking from Aurelia's room. I stopped in the corridor to exchange a few words with her. Aurelia looked out of her room and curved her lips in a grimace of displeasure. She looked ready. She was dressed all in black, black makeup along with black lipstick on her lips. I, on the other hand, was pleased. It was her who was in a hurry and not me. I guess this kind of slow performance even has a name. "Italian strike"? Perhaps, I decided to think about it for a while in the corridor after I finished my conversation with Pyra. Annoying Aurelia was quite pleasant.

- Max, you don't want to be late for Roxana, do you? - She said smiling at me in the most artificial way possible.

- But from there Aurelio, I'm on my way. - I replied with an equally ugly smile in her direction.

I moved slowly to myself and the she-wolf hid in the room slamming the door behind her. The first thing I did, I texted Elizabeth that I was coming over. She texted me back in a second to set my mind to the fact that there would be a lot of alcohol. That's what I'll need there, to get drunk and not give a shit if Alex or Rayan act stupid. I undressed and stepped into the shower. The bruise from the doberman hit continued to linger on my stomach. An ugly decoration, but nothing I could do about it. I began to thoroughly scrub my fur, ears and tail. It took much longer than usual. But I have been known to procrastinate on purpose. Then I brushed my teeth, which were, in my opinion, woefully unsharp. I bet Aurelia has teeth like knives. I took a hairspray and combed the hair on my head, which took the form of an artistic disorder. It worked out really well even though I didn't try too hard. I wore black pants for tonight - what else would I wear? I also decided to wear a white T-shirt and a blue button-down shirt over it. I also decided not to wear winter boots. I pulled sneakers out of the drawer and put them on my paws. I looked at myself in the mirror...I looked good. As befits a gay man. I sprayed on my perfume and decided I was ready. I don't know how long it took me, but as I left the room and walked down the stairs to the hall I saw Aurelia already waiting at the door with her hands folded over her chest. The she-wolf was stamping her foot nervously and her mouth was twisted into a grimace - as usual. Luna with a cigarette in her hand was standing next to her, she looked at my clothes from top to bottom. Her glance suggested that I was dressed quite well. Next to her stood my mother, who was shaking hands and smiling like a sweet idiot. And next to them was Kevin. He looked at me seriously for a moment and then said something to Aurelia.

- Love so much that you are finally going out somewhere. Have fun together! - Mom said.

- And don't drink too much. - Luna added while taking a drag on her cigarette.

- Max doesn't drink, yet Aurelia will only be eighteen in two years. - My mother interjected.

Luna looked at her with an expression as if my mother had just fallen from the moon.

- Anyway, save yourselves. - Luna countered.

We said our goodbyes, put on our jackets and left. Kevin said he would drive us and we climbed into the car. Aurelia and I decided at the same time to sit in the front seat next to Kevin. However, Aurelia reached the car door faster and immediately took the front seat. We set off.

- I didn't think it would work. - Said the teen with obvious satisfaction on her face.

- If Max says you're leaving, you're leaving. You are to obey him. - Instructed Kevin in a serious tone of voice. It sounded strange because a young man had never sounded so serious around me before. It felt a little like being in the military.

- Unless he wants to leave at nine. - Aurelia bared her teeth.

- You are to obey him. - He replied. - When you come back, call me. If I can, I'll pick you up. If not me, Buck will.

- Please, not Buck. - Aurelia said. - If he sees me drunk like that again, he'll preach to me all the way back.

- Eh Aurelia, I love you but sometimes you go too far. Don't do anything stupid so that Max and I don't have to cover for Luna later. - He replied,

Aurelia made a face of innocence, which totally didn't match her strong makeup and black painted lips. Not only was her fur black, but she dressed in black and put on black makeup. Is she going to a funeral or a party?

While driving, Kevin turned on the radio. The weather forecast was on. It was supposed to snow heavily overnight, but the synoptics said the blizzard had passed for now. That's good. I wouldn't want to get stuck at Roxana's in a "shed", whatever that "shed" is. For the rest, if it were to snow really hard, we definitely couldn't go to this house party.

I had given Kevin the address that Roxana had written earlier. We drove through town and onto some side street. We drove through the woods on some pretty winding roads that had me worried. It was already getting darker and starting to snow lightly. Aurelia's growing excitement indicated that we were getting closer. I barely had time to think about it, and we were already there. The first thing that caught my eye was a small house. It looked old, but neat. About a hundred meters away, there was a small wooden house with two floors. It had few windows, was built on an elevation and had a small, pointed roof. This was probably the "shed". There were several cars parked in front of the house, you can see Roxana is going to spend the night with a few people. I'm assuming most of us definitely didn't have driver's licenses yet, so one of those cars must have definitely belonged to Rayan. I suddenly felt a tightness in my stomach. I couldn't believe that I would be drinking with people who couldn't stand me. I guess I hadn't thought through my decision regarding the party. Who knows what might happen at it? I was overwhelmed with fear, but there was no way to back out. It was too late for that.

- Well, have fun. - Kevin said when we got out of the car. - Aurelia, don't get drunk. Max, if you need anything, call me. And if anyone has a problem with you, call me. We'll do what we need to do.

I didn't know exactly what he meant, but I nodded and waved him goodbye. Aurelia smiled and also waved to Kevin. Once he had driven the car away a bit, but was still in sight, Aurelia pulled a bottle of gin out of her purse, waved it at Kevin, and took a sip.

- Here. - She said. - Somehow we have to endure today.

I accepted the bottle and took a sip of alcohol.

- A truce for the duration of the house party? - I suggested.

Aurelia scratched under her muzzle and replied:

- If Rayan doesn't want to destroy you, I'll think about it. I have a reputation to uphold. And you... you know. Sorry, Max.

Yes, I knew what she was trying to say. That if the guys wanted to bully me, she wouldn't rush to my aid. On the contrary, she would applaud them. I suddenly regretted very much what I had said to Alex after training. I could have responded nothing to his taunts, because now he might want to take revenge on me.

We moved toward the "shed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.8K 3K 57
This normalcy is what he had always wanted, but it comes at a cost. Tom the wolf is well-acquainted with living alone. University has brought him war...
188 0 18
Matt has just finished high school and got into his dream university when he meets Ethan. They go through some hard times together and support each o...
123K 6.5K 99
Hannah And her Happy Harem After spending her entire life training to become an Olympic level gymnast only to suffer one too many injuries for her bo...