The Rainbringer

RyanG308 tarafından

Known as the best huntress in Farnloss, 20-year-old Raya does her best to provide for the people within her v... Daha Fazla

🏹Author's Note🏹
Maps and Character Art
Epigraph
II. The Binding
III. The Oratorium
IV. The Reprieve
V. The Colosseum

I. The Winged Man

273 60 41
RyanG308 tarafından

THE SUN SHONE SO intensely it was almost too much to bear when the day was at it's hottest. The villagers of Farnloss hoped every day for rain, only to be paid in dust. The dry spell of this side of the country had been going on for a couple of years now, but this particular season it had not rained for several months.

    Farnloss was once a small place of refuge for travelers between cities; a place to relax, sell, and shop for goods. Now, with their river depleting to a flimsy creek and no ready resources available, weary adventurers avoid the hungry village—fearing that they will become the next victims of thievery or illness.

    Raya crouched under the cover of a large tree, feeling a drop of sweat drip down her back underneath her cotton smock. Even the dodgy shade from the trees did not offer solace. The air was dry and hot as she scanned for her and her parents' next meal. The number of beasts in the forest were dwindling, and the ones she did find were skinny at best.

    A rustling nearby made the hunter's ears perk. Raya swiftly and silently drew an arrow from the quiver that was strapped loosely on her back. She took aim with her bow in the direction of the sound, waiting for her prey to make an appearance. Within the same moment, the fowl came shuffling about from a thorny brush, followed by it's chicks.

    Raya nocked, drew, and released her arrow in the span of a single breath; landing a direct hit in the bird's chest. Perfect. The young woman had been polishing her bow skills for the better of fifteen years now. She was taught to never waste her strength or time for too long on a full draw, making her speed and accuracy unmatched in the village.

    Raya smiled as she brushed her dark flyaway hair out of her face. She had been on the prowl since dawn so she supposed it was time for a break, gathering her game and making her way to the dried river. It was about a ten minute walk, but she wouldn't allow herself to take a drink until she was at her resting spot. Raya needed to ration her water after all, not just because of the drought. Her mother had become ill months prior and her health hadn't made any progress yet. She knew her mother needed the water more than she did.

    Raya saw the dried river as she approached, noting that she used to hear the river before seeing it. The thought made her stomach sink. She took in a deep breath and exhaled, hoping to rid herself of the awful feeling, but the hot air did not feel very cleansing. Raya shed her gloves, wrist guards, satchel, bow, and quiver next to a looming tree before climbing as high as the limbs of the tree would allow. She didn't stop her ascent until the branches creaked in protest to her weight.

    Raya carefully adjusted herself before relaxing and taking in the sight of what used to be the main artery of her village, the once was river. She closed her eyes and imagined the sound of wonderful water flowing, almost feeling the cool air emanating, hugging her, and breathing life into her people. A trickle of sweat tickling her temple snapped her out of her imagination. She wiped her face and neck with her smock's sleeve and groaned, opening her eyes again to see the dismal view. She let her shoulders slump while finally allowing herself a drink of water. It felt like bliss mixed with guilt.

    Raya's mother was also a hunter, stoic and strong, before becoming ill. Her father was a studious man, although some may say a bit meek. He did best in his den with his parchments. Now a days he solely cared for his wife, while Raya handled all the hunting and foraging, so she did not get to see her parents as much as she'd like.

    When not hunting solo, she would spend her days with her bow mentor and his son; setting traps and foraging. The son was almost as skilled with the bow and arrow as Raya. The three of them made an impeccable team. She loved learning and growing with her people, but hated to see them suffer. Now there was talk of uprooting everything they've ever known to find some kind of new life in the cities. Something tugged inside of Raya's chest.

If only the drought were a beast, I could end it myself.

    Raya pointed her left arm to the sky, the absent clouds more specifically, and drew her right arm back. She stared to the heavens, taking aim, before releasing a volley of invisible arrows.

Take that.

Shockingly, the mock attack didn't make her feel any better.

"You call yourself a hunter? I could've made away with all your gear by now!" a man's voice teased. Raya looked to the ground with a frown, already knowing it was her mentor's son, Awen. The man was opening her satchel to check out its contents.

"Excuse me?" Raya huffed and began making her way down the tree.

"You're excused. But really, where is your perception? Woah, nice bird!" Awen exclaimed, holding the fowl in victory as if he'd slain it himself.

    Raya climbed down to a safe height and hopped to the ground, closing the distance between her and her new headache. She grabbed the bird from him, puffing her chest trying to look threatening. A cocky grin spread over Awen's features, looking down on her. He was easily a head above her. Feeling a little inadequate, she quickly grabbed her satchel.

"Tell me, why have you disturbed me in my resting place?" Raya repacked her kill, not looking up to meet his eyes.

"Don't be so dramatic, you make it sound as if you've died." Awen chuckled, amused.

"Perhaps I have." Raya was gearing herself back up.

"Ah, good! Maybe the Gods will mistake your death for a sacrifice and this cursed drought will be over. On second thought, I don't know why they would want you." Awen cringed sarcastically at her.

"You're charming." With a roll of her eyes, Raya finally looked at her friend. She knew if she looked too long he would make her laugh, and he would win.

"Aren't I?" Awen tilted his head back, running his hand through his dark hair. Raya managed a faux laugh to cover up her real one. She had all her belongings and was ready to set off again, she knew Awen came because he wanted her company. Either that or he was trying to make her smile, he was always doing that. With her little world so bleak, it was refreshing to have him around.

"Let me guess, time to check your traps? You're always too scared to go alone." Raya turned on her heel and began walking in the usual direction, Awen followed behind with a grin.

"You'd be correct. Although, I was curious to see if you were still hunting or not. But, there you were, playing like a wee babe in a tree." Awen jogged to catch up to her. They trekked alongside the dried up river, exchanging playful banter as always. Not one thing was out of the ordinary that day. Not yet, at least.

    About midway until they reached the traps, Awen's steps had slowed until he was completely stopped. He squinted his eyes, looking intensely up the dried riverbed.

"Oh wow, you really are scared." Raya chaffed, scanning in the same direction.

"You see that? There has been so many odd things we've found on the river since it dried, but that there? That definitely looks like gold to me." Awen abruptly sprinted towards the so-called gold before Raya could even register what he had said. A race.

    A laugh sprang quick from Raya's mouth before making a dash herself. He had to be deluded to think he could outrun her. However, if what he saw was true, it would certainly help their village get through the year; if not longer. As much as Awen refused to fret in front of her, she knew he was just as worried as she.

    Not before long Raya had passed the man, the dry grass crunching under her boots, seeing the glittering metal sticking out of the earth not far ahead. Raya's thoughts began to rush. Could Farnloss really have such fortune? She slowed her pace, making her way into the dried river, the murky bed caking her steps in mud until finally reaching the object. She was so honed in that the rest of her vision was a dark vignette.

    There it was right in front of her. The most magnificent bow Raya had ever seen. It was definitely gold, or at least gold plated, encrusted with rubies and sapphire. It seemed to have a divine glow that pulled her in like a lost moth to a flickering flame. Raya was too awestruck to hear Awen's voice call to her. She took one final step forward before grasping the weapon with both of her hands to heave it out of the grimy mire. The earth released the bow far easier than Raya had expected, making her plant a foot behind her as to not fall.

    There was a ringing in her ears that slowly morphed into Awen's voice calling to her again. Raya was quite expressionless as she looked back to her friend. Awen's eyes were wide and worried as he trudged beside her, pointing to the ground close to her feet.

"Get away! Can you not hear me? What the hell is that?" The concern in his voice became a panicked crescendo.

    Raya gazed down and finally saw what her friend had seen. Halfway buried in the riverbed was a perfectly in tact human skeleton. Or, wait, was it from a human? Raya felt her hair stand on end while hot prickles of anxiety entered her stomach. The lifeless remains harbored two giant wings. What they had laid their eyes on was most certainly once a winged man.

[Word Count: 1,722]
[02.03.2021]

⭐️Don't forget to leave a star!⭐️

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

53.7K 5K 55
[Book 1 and 2 COMPLETE] Straight-A student Jane Huang cares only about acing her classes and graduating college... until a terrifying encounter with...
21.7K 623 8
An angelic halfling, thrown into a brutal war - not her own. Can she survive, can humanity? Angels or Hellion, Sky hates them both, hell, she even ha...
9.6K 1.3K 25
⊰ The Wattys 2021 Shortlist ⊱ ⊰ Winner of the Wattpad India Awards 2020 Fantasy and Adventure ⊱ ; Two brave hearts emerged from the tragedy- one a sa...
3.9K 562 65
NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON. Action, Romance, Bad Weather & Broken Crayons! ** Elemental beings struggle over the fate & heart of a 2-souled artist as s...