Theurgy: The Journey's Dawn (...

By ChaosHimself

#1 THEURGY SERIES "I give my life to the Empire, for it is worth giving, and it shall be the weapon of my peo... More

Prologue
PART ONE: Chapter 1 BrokenArrow
Chapter 2 The Enemy Returns
Chapter 3 The Path Paved
Chapter 4 Attacks in the Dark
Chapter 5 Silondras
Chapter 6 Contest of Knights
Chapter 7 The Flaming Serpent
Chapter 8 The Lamia
Chapter 9 The Siren's Bridge
Chapter 10 The Relic and the Hand
Chapter 11 A New Road
Chapter 12 The Fated Choice
Chapter 13 The Night
Chapter 14 Journey Ahead
Chapter 15 Call to Action
Chapter 16 The Quest
Chapter 17 Blessings
Chapter 18 Those Under
Chapter 19 A King's Name
Chapter 20 On A Knife's Edge
Chapter 21 The Plains
Chapter 22 The Manticore
Chapter 23 Nighttime Walkers
Chapter 24 Work of a Bloody Hand
Chapter 25 The Outpost
Chapter 26 The Well
Chapter 27 The Pendant of Death
Chapter 28 The Coming Mist
Chapter 29 The Ferry
Chapter 30 The Harbor
Chapter 31 Imprisoned
Chapter 32 A Resurgence
Chapter 33 The Dragon at Sea
Chapter 34 The Ravens
Chapter 35 Featherless
Chapter 36 The Grandmaster
Chapter 37 Knights and Kings
Chapter 38 Not What They Seem
Chapter 40 Daggers in Smoke
Chapter 41 Fake Souls
Chapter 42 The Sword and Torch
Part 2 Chapter 43 Mount Kryn
Chapter 44 I Am a God
Chapter 45 The Path of Gods
Interlude 1 Avra
Chapter 46 Quiet Waters
Chapter 47 Intentions
Chapter 48 The God's Scar
Chapter 49 The Frozen River
Chapter 50 Battle of Mer'dith
Chapter 51 Not the Same
Chapter 52 Gray's Resolve
Chapter 53 The Camp
Chapter 54 Bygones
Chapter 55 Preparations
Chapter 56 Haven
Chapter 57 The Assault
Chapter 58 The Forge of the Gods
Chapter 59 Homebound
Chapter 60 The Pinnacle
Chapter 61 Sacred Mind
Chapter 62 The Godslayers
Chapter 63 The Right to Rule
Chapter 64 Where the Heart Lives
Chapter 65 The Assault on Silondras
Chapter 66 The Era of Heroes
Epilogue
Characters from Theurgy: The Journey's Dawn

Chapter 39 Arrive at Hath

473 47 0
By ChaosHimself

        As brief as his time in Torlak had been, Lyse felt a small part of him sad to leave. As someone who had always been interested in something he did not know. Something such as Torlakian magic presented possibly the largest challenge to him. Something even outside the challenges he has already faced with aura yet still related somehow. He saw so much to learn, so much to discover. Despite his vow never to step foot in their land without the permission of the Grandmaster and Six Arms, he walked a bit slow behind Makyra looking around at the city. Its architecture and its customs. The people seemed relatively happy and spry. Busy, but with a step that determined a sense of aptitude of where they are. He still couldn't get the idea of those floating towers and islands slowly drifting around the cities. He could gawk at them for hours. They were a marvel to look at, a lump of rock and dirt suspended in the air and somehow guided around like guardians. He felt the urge to learn, to know what mystical mechanism they have created to do such wondrous things. Things saw as occurrences told in stories, a reality here. He pondered that if the sanction had never been placed, he would perhaps become a mage. Maybe after all of this is over, he could convince the grandmaster himself to appeal this sanction and repair the broken ties with the clans. He seemed like he himself is not very fond of the rule, but merely the one who enforces it. 

       While he was taking his time walking back, Makyra didn't appreciate his nonchalant pacing, and constantly pushed him along so he wouldn't be left behind.

     "Come on, Lyse," her tone was patient and annoyed somehow. "By the light of the Paladins and the grace of Fate we make it out of all of this with your heads. We should be grateful Remmus is still the rule breaker he always was.

      "I am sorry," Lyse quickened his step. "It's almost as if I forget my purpose here. I'm not so accustomed to such wonders."

     "You are still a mere cub to the world," she noted with a sigh. "But this is the least of what this place holds I'm afraid. But if you are caught in amazement at what this place reveals, you won't be able to see the others. Do you know why?"

        "Why?" Lyse asked, but he knew the answer.

         "Because they'd have taken your head already. Now come on."

       So much to learn That excited Lyse, even more than the sights themselves. They did dull, however, closer to the docks they came. The regular city dwellers were replaced by Torlakian fishermen and merchants. As if the sea washed away some of the lusters Torlak had to reveal gruff spindly men with wiry hair bartering with one another. These were still wonderous in their own right, huge barges loaded with all variety of fish bundled up and transported using water or air to manipulate them. Something that should require twenty men to load only requires one person with minimal effort. Many of the Torlakian vessels were smaller than the average empire merchant vessel, very much built for speed and efficiency. A few notable looking mages made their way around, walking up towards ships and asking a few bartering questions before departing. They didn't wear uniforms, but their silk shirts and costly cloaks painted them of wealthier men. The cane or staff or maybe even a book under their arm marked them as mages. One such person was speaking to Moxie now, who was overlooking her men loading some things aboard and taking some things away. Lyse supposed she can not very much stop her business on account of them. He didn't get a good look at any of the goods, but it was mostly crates and boxes marked with a red letter "T" on them. The conversation between the mage and Moxie seemed to go over smoothly, and they departed with a shake of the hand. Then she spotted her, blowing smoke out of her pipe and smiling at them thankfully. 

      "Took you long enough cubs," she regarded the both of them. "Got an easy score off one of those mages. They may be smart but they aren't good hagglers. They paid me to double what  normal vessels will take for shipping this stuff over to Hath."

      "What are you transporting then?"  Makyra asked curiously. "I do hope that it won't further put us into hot waters."

       "Of course not," she said, her tone almost offended, drawing out a few pieces of clean white paper from her pouch. "Here's the order, prim and proper like. Besides, I haven't smuggled a thing in months. The waters have been kinda hot around me since the last time I came across the Ravens. Been keeping my distance around such activities. Well, until now. Anyway, our next destination will be Hath, won't it?"

     "Yes, it will," Lyse said. "After that, we head to the southwestern coast of Arkouda, Mount Kryn is where we find them. I'll discuss it a bit more once we're safe on the waters."

      He handed her the small map he had drawn up, inspecting it while taking another puff from the chamber. "Mount Kryn, eh? Guessing that's one of their prisons?"

      "Has to be," Lyse told her, taking back the map and placing it in his pouch with the other precious items. "Although, the Grandmaster told us that the prison was abandoned years ago. I don't know what awaits us there, but it won't be a pretty thing I'm sure."

    "Well, we're setting the sail within the hour. No doubt those black feathers would like to ask a few questions before we get the chance, But I'd rather not give them the opportunity if you don't mind."

      And as she said, in the hour the masts that had been retracted into the ship were now being drawn up and prepped for sails. While Lyse and Makyra were away, they also purchased materials to repair the ship, which is easy enough to do while on the seas. One of the ballistae was damaged beyond repair, however, and would require a lot more time in order to install a new one. Some people occasionally walked past and curiously asked where the damages had come from. Moxie told them the truth, as it was so unbelievable that no one would believe it anyway. The Cardinal guards who walked the deck eyes their ship in suspect, but none made a move towards them, not so much as a question. She happened to see this place left behind in the time being, and perhaps even these waters. But she dreaded their next destination all the same. She hasn't stayed in Hath for long and she didn't intend to now. She hopes that these godslayers will be as expedient as they were before.

       Briefly, she went below deck, to the center rear of this ship near the rudder. There, the metal slab embedded into the wood with the magical glyph carved into it was still undamaged. This magic is what truly gave her vessel its speed. If it was damaged, her ship will stop its renowned one week runs throughout the southern oceans. Not even her crew knew it was there, as to them it was simply an iron decorative piece. Her father had designed this ship before she was born, and had used Torlakian magic in companion to his technology to achieve it. This was all that she owned from that man. That, and the guns decorating the walls in her room. She only briefly inspected it for damage, running her finger across it before quickly turning back, and took the helm.

       Lyse's party took to their rooms, away from eyes and ears. Edlund had stayed comfortably away from any commotion that was going on outside, even if their cover was that they were mere guards for this supposed ambassador, being seen was just requesting trouble. Thankfully Gray and Elena had the same thought. When they both first arrived, he thought they were ready to jump off the ship along with Lyse just to go sightseeing. He can admit that he was mystified, but the threat of hanging was more than enough to discourage his adventurous ways. He took his time bumbling below deck. The carpenters were busy with repairs and most of the crew was busy loading supplied aboard. With over two hundred men on this floating fortress he had expected that at least one would join him for a drink or at least a game of dice. He had made an earning here overall, though his game was rusty. Edlund thought about challenging Lyse to a game when he'd come back but dismissed the idea. Lyse was such a good hand that it made it impossible to beat him where the rule of the game wasn't chance. He was glad to see him alive and well, still. And much more bright in the eyes, as he last remembers. He and Makyra were talking about something about an aunt when he interrupted.

     "I suppose we have a destination now?" he asked.

      Lyse nodded. "Yes. She is in Arkouda, in mount Kryn."

      "Mount Kryn, huh?" Edlund scratched his stubble. "They kept their course then. At least we know where to go now. What's the plan of action?"

     "We'll be going to Hath first," Lyse reached into the small pouch at his side, pulling out another one of those documents. "James didn't mention it, but he did put this in here along with it. It's a letter to get me to my aunt to retrieve the other important object, you know?"

       Edlund racked his brain to remind himself that Lyse's aunt was the queen of Hath indeed. It will be interesting to see this place. Thankfully there was no sanction on knights to not enter it, it was just not a place for nice people. Lyse has never been to Hath before, or at least he doesn't remember, but he felt a strange thread leading him there that was indeed there all these years, and only now revealed. There were still things his mother had yet to confirm about their lineage. Since they the progeny of a king, does that not make them active successors to the throne. His mother had said no. Because she had been expelled by the late queen, their lineage no longer applied. But all it took was for their aunt to relinquish that banishment, and the throne is all there's. What's more troubling was to think of many of the clan's rulers as distant cousins, because Hath married off their prince and princesses to empire royalty to keep ties. And James's own mother was his mother's great cousin. He decided to take these thoughts and questions to his mother, who has stayed in her room all this time. She had recovered a little from the injury she endured, but not fully. Her arms still ached, though it was manageable. She has been meditating, a knight's way of replenishing zoi that was lost, but also was calming and made healing all the easier. Lyse felt her massive aura as soon as he stepped aboard. But now that he had witnessed the might of someone like the grandmaster, it was not even half as intense as it was before.

         When he opened the door, he expected her to be in the basic meditation form, both legs tucked beneath you and hands folded in your lap. But she was instead in bed, a blanket over her as if she had already fallen asleep. Though, she immediately sprung up when they entered the room, wide awake. Makyra stood off to the side as Lyse shut the door behind him. She looked tired, bags under her eyes. Lyse wonders if she has even slept in the past few days. He hadn't really noticed all that much. He can't blame her or chastise her for it. It had been nearly two months since she was taken. And how much longer must she remains in their hands. If they are lucky, they may be able to retrieve her alive, and not dead. From what he knows so far about this organization, he would not put it behind them. They have shown how little they cared for things such as innocence and justice. It made him sick to think that he had allowed her to stay in their custody for all this time. He hopes she can just stay strong just a little bit longer. Because they are coming, they know where they are now.

      "I hope your visit to Remmus went well?" she asked as Lyse shut the door. "I know he can be fickle."

       "Thankfully he had been in a hurry," Makyra said. "He was being chewed out by one of the council members when we arrived, so Remmus had plenty of motivation to get us out of there as quickly as possible. If we allowed him, he would talk up a storm to Lyse about his most recent findings."

      Celia chuckled. Lyse hated how long it had been since he had heard his mother laugh. She was not the most frivolous of types, but it was a comfort to him. Perhaps she is not too far steeped in her depression just yet. "Good. good. At least we are on the right path. So where is she? Where are they holding her?"

     Lyse took out the map, spreading it across her lap. "It's a prison, mother, in mount Kryn. He said that it had been abandoned before the war. But now that it's in use means that they are planning something."

     "It could very well be a trap set for us," Celia concluded. "They are hoping that we do chase after them. That may be why they have been placed on their attempts to capture or kill us. they want us there for something." 

      "That's . . . always been a possibility I suppose," it was something that Lyse had considered, and after the recent attack, it was starting to feel all the more likely. Though, the encounter with Thanatos, that may have been an attempt to capture them rather than spur them on. Capturing them seems to still be a secondary goal to guiding them to where they want them to be. "But what other choice d we have. We must afford caution, but we can not just leave her in their care for long either way."

      "You are right," she sighed. "But it is unnerving to think we are within their web, fighting the spider. It would be wise of us to examine the mechanisms that they want to use to ensnare us before it is too late."

      "We can most certainly do that, but it'll have to wait. Moxie told us it'll only be a few days journey till we arrive at the Hathan islands. And I want to ask you more about us, and our line."

      She sighed again. He didn't mean to be tiresome, but he would like to know either way. "You may leave now, Makyra. See if Moxie needs anything of us, though I doubt it."

      "And if she doesn't?" Makyra asked.

      "Then I think it wise to keep your eyes on the horizon for any more sudden storms. We didn't kill the dragon, it merely fled. It could always come back and attack us. We'll need all the time we can to evade it if it comes to that."

      "Of course my lady," she left and closed the door behind her. Lyse was growing accustomed to spending so much time alone with her mother. And he intended to squeeze as much information out of her as she can remember. Which is a lot, since she shares his compacity for knowledge in general. They went over the gods once more, the Plithos and their abilities. What Talin had done in the past and what they had at their disposal. They had the means of an entire nation, it seemed. Theurgy, on the other hand, was always a small group. Occasionally they got their support from the kingdoms, veiling their fights as skirmishes and such to further some end. But always it was down to these six people and whatever allies they nay acquire. Lyse feels that these clandestine procedures may be wasted in this upcoming conflict. From how Talin had added, it was something much bigger than anything he could fathom at the moment. And they were only approaching the storm, it seemed, not the terrors that lies within the eyes, which the storm conceals.

      Lyse spent most of his days talking with his mother. Occasionally he would wander on deck, conversing with either Blij or Moxie on the journey's progress before going on to observe one of Edlund's matches with some of the crew. Elena, as always was already there. Edlund somehow convinced Gray to participate in the event, but it was clear how green he was to the sport of cards and dice, and he was easy pickings to Edlund and the crew's mischievous tactics. Elena was the first to notice Lyse come over,  hand under his chin in some sort of thinking pose as he watched over Edlund's shoulder.

      "Fancy yourself to these games?" Elena gestured to the loose circle of men and women, anxiously watching as each chose a pair of cards to put down for the other to take up. "They're playing some Hathan card game. Apparently, all the cards are separated into five groups: Archer, Tailor, Sentinel, Swordsmen, and Lancer. The goal is to have seven cards of one type first. Or, if you'd like, call all to reveal their hands, and if you have the most of the card next drawn from the deck you win. If not, you owe everyone what you bid and have to draw a new hand."

      "Seems rather high stakes," Lyse said, sitting cross-legged next to Edlund, careful not to be in view of the others.

      "Yeah, and they are most certainly bloodthirsty," Edlund sat down two archer cards in favor of a sentinel, making three out of the eight cards of the sort. "If someone else is gunning for the same type of card you are just chasing their tail. You have to keep watch on what everyone puts down and picks up."

        "Seems like my type of game," Lyse said with a small smile. "And by the looks of things, your having a tough time." 

    Edlund growled. "And you're not helping by telling them that."

    One of the crewmen laughed. It was a woman, her dark skin and thick accent marked her as being Acirfan. she was the one who took up the archers, sat down a tower. "This game relies on the keen mind and strategy. Also a bit of luck."

      "I've never been one for luck," Lyse commented. Gray scoffed.

      "Lazy we have been lousy with it. Not the good kind, however," he paused, seeing the archer the acirfan woman had put down and snatching it to sit down a tower excitedly. Too excitedly. No doubt they will deprive him of archers for a while. "Anyway what are we after in Hath. I thought we got what we need from Torlak."

     One of the other crewmen groaned at his own hand, gesturing over to Edlund and Lyse. "you sure been bouncing me around like some balloon fish you know. I might have to take out before it's too late."

      "Nonsense," Lyse picked himself and over to him. "Come on, I'll take your hand, it can't be that bad."

     The crewman raised an eyebrow. "Of course friend. But how about a wager for this favor. I'll put in an extra gold coin saying you don't make it out."

     "And if I win, I'll take whatever you put into the pool then?" Lyse picked upon the cards he left on the ground. He took a look at the card. they were so various, it'll take a lot of work to get a number of even one of them this late in the game.

         The crewman shrugged. "Fine by me. May fate be on your side friend."

       "Fate hates our guts, unfortunately," Edlund said, sighing as he took up a tower card, putting down a Lancer. "Gray's right, what are we headed to Hath about. Some family bonding time or something."

     "Something like that, yeah," Lyse said, half a mind on the game. "My aunt has this necklace that was meant to be a gift for my mom. It'll just be a short visit."

       One of the crewmates snorted. "Hardly worth taking a vessel such as this. She could have just sent it by some messenger or merchant."

     Lyse shook his head. "She doesn't trust merchants I guess. And don't you worry there won't be any more sea dragons. I mean, I can not confirm or deny. You'll have to take me by my words I'm afraid."

       "Don't sweat yourself a bucket," the acirfan woman said. Her name was apparently Rali. "you're talking to a boat full of bloodthirsty veterans ready to jump back in. I won't be surprised that that sea dragon attack got their blood churning for some action. I was a pirate years ago, I can see this in any man."

     "Well then, let's hope it comes to that," Lyse picked up an archer, setting down a lancer. "Anyway, our last stop may be about Arkouda. Who knows, we might even have a few heads to knock around while we are there."

      "My swords need some head knocking I suppose," another of the crew, an older man name Tug said. He was the cannon master if Lyse can remember. "Honestly since you came aboard we've seen more action since the past last year. The closest we got was the last time those black feathers tried to arrest Moxie over some 'unauthorized cargo'. She must thank Fate himself that they only fined her and confiscated those valuables."

       "Whatever the case, I'm sure you'll get plenty of action gentlemen," Lyse seized the archer, again setting down another lancer for another of the crew to take. He rearranged his cards as teh next crewman eager took up the card he dropped. "You've caught a glimpse of what is chasing us."

      "Those dark eyed bastards?" Tug spat at the deck. "Scary bastards they are. Dismantled one of my ballistae they did. Glad the captain put a bullet in that one's skull. And I believe they deserve a few more pikes in the eye for taking my friend over the railing with that bloody dragon."

      "I'm sorry to of brought this onto you," As Lyse suspected, another archer was dropped. Though, he hesitated the cards in his hands. "If it wasn't for us being here, none of you would be in danger in the first place."

    Tug looked at him as if he coughed up a fish. "No need for your sympathies son. It was his time. We don't need to question ya on what you're about, but any of us would gladly be taken out by a bloody dragon, you see?"

    Lyse smiled, snatching up the archer to put down his last tower card. "It seems boldness is the key then. How about I bet on the next set up archers, huh?"

      He sat down his hand. And, much to their surprise, he had a full row of archers. It didn't take that much. The one next to him had a set of towers and only a few archers he wanted to get rid of. He had glanced at the cards as he walked past. But he only managed to gather four archers out of a hand of eight. But there was another portion of this game that they had yet to consider. there is an even number of each of the four types of cards. You may choose to draw from the deck, or from the sack of disposed cards next to it. Lyse had been paying attention to what everyone was dropping to determine what they were looking for. From what it seemed, the least desired card was the archer, which would stand to reason that by analyzing the deck draws, he could at least make a gamble on the next card being an archer. It was near 6 out of ten draws in his favor, but if archer was not drawn as often as others, it would stand to reason, then. They all looked at each other, the crewmen smiled. They sat down their cards, revealing hands filled with several of a kind. Edlund cursed setting his down, seeing the look in Lyse's eye, and having six cards out of eight being sentinels. Lyse took the pleasure of turning over the top card at the top of the deck. And as he suspected, it was indeed an archer. They looked on in surprise as Lyse took the small pile of copper and silver coins, stuffing them into his pouch.

     "As I said, I'm not a fan of luck, gentlemen," he patted the pouch proudly. "I rather seize the opportunity."

       Tug scoffed lightly, scratching at the salt and pepper beard on his chin. "Well, whether or not you believe in luck, it certainly has chosen you then. I'm going to check on the cannon cleaning down below. I don't have the patience for another game."

       "Curse you, I want another game," Edlund pointed at his hand. "So close. I was this close to taking off with their coins Lyse."

       "Then you have to be quick to catch up," Lyse laughed.

        The rest of the crew departed to their duties. the seas were steady and the sky clear. Makyra, as his mother ordered, stayed in one of the crow's nests keeping an eye to the horizon. Lyse is sure they won't attack again, at least for a while. They have other priorities, as far as he could tell. Though, he did join her just once. She was silently watching, the canvas above them shading the hot son. She seemed so still and patient, like the sentinels that guarded the king and his relatives. He wonders if this was how she was, watching him and his family for such a long time.

      "You shouldn't be so afraid of the sun," he said. "You look a little pale anyway. Did you eat anything today?"

     She regarded him. "I'm used to it. People in Lykos are always pale. Being so close to Frostlands, it's rare to have nice summers. Be careful, you might catch heat stroke on these waters."

       "Like such a thing is enough to defeat me," he sat on the edge of the crow's nest, facing her. "You told me that my mom saved your life. I know I'm being rather chafing, but you've been watching over us for years. It's a shame I still know so little about you."

        "What is the use?" she asked. "Do you really want to know?"

         "I like to know about the people around me," Lyse said. "We have the opportunities to talk as well. We're alone up here, you know. Only I can hear."

        She considered for a few moments. It had been a while since she was forced to review that night. She feared how vivid they are in return.

       "I grew up in a small village near the forest of secrets. My dad died in one of the skirmishes out east. I barely remember him, so all I knew was my mother and older brother. In those times, Frostlands kingdoms were far bolder. They often raided Lykos and Nychterida. But my village was fairly south. We didn't think we were in danger . . ."

       Her voice trailed off in pained thought as if she was forced to watch those distant events unfold.

     "They died, didn't they?" he asked her. She nodded. "I am sorry for forcing you to relive these memories. I should learn to tame my curiosity."

      "Don't be, she told him.  "Besides, it was your mother who saved my life that day. She took me in, basically as one of her own cubs. I vowed to protect her family as long as I am able. It is all I can do to repay this unpayable debt."

     "Well then" he looked to the horizon, towards the direction of land. "Did you think we would end up here?"

      She thought for a moment, then shook her head. "I rather this all never have happened, that you were just in the capital to become a knight, and your sister is the trouble maker she often was I know how close you were. How much she admired you. Among others. So why are you up here? Surely your not so cruel to make me relive those times for no reason?"

      He leaned on the rim of the crow's nest. "Perhaps I am. It's just that I'm curious, I guess. I like to know the people around me. Gives me peace of mind."

     "That's why you joined that little game down there," she gestured down to the circle still perpetuated by Edlund in an attempt to regain his wealth. Though, the circle was much smaller than before and lacked the audience. 

       Lyse chuckled. "Yes, I guess it is. "

      "These men have taken the liking to you," she told him. "They suspect that you're more than what you seem, Yet they still act cheerful and glad to have you around."

      "Honestly that's more Edlund'd charisma than my own," Lyse looked down again. Gray had gone below deck, most likely to grab something to eat. His abilities in particular are taxing on his body, he needs to gather as much aura as possible before a battle. He saw that Elena glanced up at him briefly before going on towards the helm. He can never read her, it seemed. There are moments where she is transparent and doesn't hide anything she was thinking. But perhaps being brought up in the home of a general made it easy for her to guard her feelings. But he could trust her, at least. She had bled with him and Edlund, which practically made them blood.

      "Even still," Makyra went on. "The way they behave around you is odd. Almost like you're an old war buddy of theirs."

     "Are you familiar with this type?" Lyse asked.

    "I'm familiar with hers," she nodded then to Moxie, scanning the horizon with an hourglass while Blij, behind her, held a map and a compass in hand. 

      "I could tell you both have history."

      "We were both Guardians," she seemed to hesitate on the word guardian. "She had made the same oath I had with you aunt. We haven't really spoken much since she departed. She sent the occasional letter to King James or your father, who then gave it to me. We were like sisters. Our connection to the godslayers. The issue with her family. I don't think either of us is right in the head to talk about it. What about you, got any room in this mind of your for another."

      "Haven't really thought about it all that much recently," he admitted. "I mean, sure people would try to court me, but I would try to ignore them. My mother even tried to get me to chase after the daughter of an innkeeper. She was nice though."

      "And how about that Lidia?" she smiled mischievously. "I do remember you two rather close sometimes."

    Lyse could feel his face redden, but tried to stay composed. "You . . .  you shouldn't peep in on stuff like that, you know?"

      "I don't watch fiend," she reared her fist back in a punch but knew the action would probably send him topping to the deck. "Don't think of something so scandalous. What happened to that anyway. I'm sure you would have been quite happy."

        Lyse sighed, bringing his gaze back to the horizon, back north towards the clans. "Perhaps. We have chased each other like the children we were. But I guess we were both doubtful at some point I would ever become a knight. So I guess we didn't go any farther."

       "You should enjoy the time you have," she said. "Godslayers, as you have witnessed, often have a short amount of time to enjoy what they have."

      They were interrupted abruptly by the sound of ringing brass bells. The air became a flurry all of a sudden, action and emotion spurring. For a moment, Makyra thought that she had somehow missed a dragon. But no storm was on any horizon. Instead, people flocked for docking procedures. On the distant horizon, a rising landmass came into view. It took a moment before Lyse suddenly realized that they've made it. It seemed a quick step from traveling from Torlak to here, he almost expected another day between their arrival. As he scanned the sea he saw other ships coming into view. From large merchant boats to fishing boats shaped more like bowls than narrow canoes. In fact, he never has seen so many boats in one place. As they came upon the large harbor, there were ships as far as the eye could travel, disappearing over the horizon. A myriad of sails fluttered in the colors of their nation. The pure white sails belonged to Hath. Torlakian sails were a solid red with a black "T" dancing in the middle. The Empire of Clans were represented by differing colors per clan, but all held the same golden background. The port at Tigri seemed depressingly small compared to this. And he had no doubt that they will find every commodity in the world in the open markets here.

    It was Hath, the land known for merchants and ingenuity. Lyse, upon seeing it, lulled over all that he knows of this place, the place of his heritage and mother's birth. Besides being well known for marrying into most royal lines this side of the Liontari mountains, it was known also for a plethora of fine arts and crafts, much like Aetos in that way. But also it was known for a devastating discovery almost a decade ago. A scientist, while exploring the rich mountain mines in Acirfa, discovered an explosive powder that would explode on detonation. This grey powder, now uniformly called gun powder, is used in almost every ship for the use of cannons, at least those not from Torlak. Torlak instead uses magic for a majority of its functions. The presence in Empire has been slower than others. The explosive power was definitely something to behold, and recently the use of gunpowder has extended to actual handheld contraptions that shoot out projectiles, called often handheld cannons or simple guns. From what he had recently discovered, this was done by Moxie's own father, a chemist, and studier of biology. Hath was also a mercantile society, owning ports even in other lands further east in the southern sea. They practically own the entrance to the southern sea as well, being the only island that separated the Apera ocean that leads to Umani. A lot of goods comes across their hands, and so they hold an abundance of wealth for being such a small island. They have been a distant ally of the empire in the past, with a string of rulers that delved on the edge of tyranny in their rule. the worst had been the recent queen, overthrown and replaced by the current queen, his aunt, queen Lizbeth. Ever since then the alliance had grown stronger. His mother's father, the former king of Hath had died under mysterious circumstances, and Lizbeth and Celia were banished, chased out by the former queen to secure power and placement. That's all he could figure now.

     Lyse quickly climbed down, Makyra close behind and ran to the helm where the rest of the band waited. Moxie seemed already in mid discussion, although apathetic in her tone. 

     "We'll find a spot for us to dock near the western docks," she said. "Besides, the main road that cuts through the entire capital is near. You better hurry up cubs. The ravens are one thing. I don't want the queen requesting some formal conversation upon me, understood."

     Lyse nodded. "Crystal."

     "I guess we are coming with you then?" Edlund asked. "I can do without Torlak, but there's no way I'm leaving you to these splendors."

       "Of course," he locked eyes with each of them. "We have to be careful, however. In a place like this, who knows what lurks in the shadows."

       "Nothing pretty I can tell you that much," Moxie pointed to a map of Hath, the three main islands as well a map of the capital itself. Lyse looked at it a moment, and blink. He no longer needed a map at that point, his mind is more reliable than a piece of paper now. The capital is the most unorthodox feature of the island. The island it resides on is called Capur Isle. The capital, Capuluria, serves as the economic and political center for the country, though one of the other islands, Dul'Minthas, was the military center of Hath, and Bomuthia the farming lands. The layout of the city was similar to most others, merchant and artisan houses near the waters, inns, and homes in the second tier, and higher estates near the center and back, including the Bueatillion, the fortress that was out of view for the moment, but was where the queen and her family lived. But what made this capita so jarring to think of lied in its center. The city was built around a giant ancient excavation site that tunneled almost two kilometers downward, a massive hole that extended the city even further with houses and inns nestled against the hard granite walls. This mysterious site is still under operation, with mining still in action and many valuable resources still being moved up. This pit is often referred to as that. Platforms and such spiraled down, mechanized elevators lifting heavy materials from the mine. Few bridges pass over the chasm. Most did not like the idea of traveling over such a large and dangerous attraction.

        "We'll have to hug the road here," Lyse pointed near the main road, a thinner one snaking its way north towards the capital, and around the Pit. "No site seeing, I'm afraid. Hopefully, if we stay off the main road we won't draw Talin onto us. But still, keep a close eye out. It is more than likely that they have intercepted us and is ready to pounce."

     "Would they make a move in such a populated place?" Gray asked. "Seems a tad risky if you ask me."

      "I see no reason why," Lyse said lowly, looking over to the harbor quickly approaching, analyzing each boat as if expecting that Thirian Garath to wave his location. "Come on and prepare. Take what you need as well."

       They did so, dawning cloaks and sheathing their real swords at their wastes. It was a comfort not being in the hot waters of Torlak, able to be what they were in some way. They were still to be hidden, but at least they had their own blades and could use zoi if the occasion arose. Lyse wished that they could get better armor here, maybe stop by an embassy, but most likely they won't have the time. If they want to get in and out without Talin noticing at all, they will have to stay on their toes and keep moving. The Queen's Revenge alone was more than a target, it's unmistakable bulk noticeable even here.  Anxiety crawled up his neck, thinking of the possibility of attacks. They might even attack this ship. His mother was not yet fit to travel, even she admits as much. Makyra has been healing her, but it seemed it was less and less effective. She would be killed if she tried to fight another Makhai. She's far safer here, far safer with Makyra at her side, which she agreed to. 

     "I should be back in full working order by tomorrow night," Celia sighed, stretching her legs on the small bed. It seemed to pain her to admit weakness on any level. "Tell my sister my greetings. I don't have to tell you to be safe."

       "It's still appreciated," Lyse reached for the bag full of his gold and the pendant, then froze. IT as far too dangerous to carry them around in public. If the pendants could attract Plithos like Thanatos, they must be kept off of him for the time being. So he took the three pendants out of his bag. Three pendants. The pendant of magic, the pendant of death and the pedant of life. They all shined and pulsed in unison, almost in tune with his own heartbeat. His noticed his mom stir a bit as soon as it was revealed, uncomfortably rubbing the faint green veins under her arms. He placed all three in a pouch in his traveler's bag, out of sight. His mother and Makyra didn't say a word, only watching him as he moved.

      "I don't want them to have it under no circumstances," Lyse tied the bag of coins back to his belt. "If I'm lucky, I won't need it."

       "Of course," Celia waved her hands dismissively. "Now go. My sister is waiting for you. She doesn't like to wait, you should know."

       Lyse couldn't help but feel a little worried, however. So many things can go wrong right now, there's no getting around it. So many points where he can fail, where he can die. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

589 56 18
Book One is finally complete, please look forward to Book Two, The Chronicles of Arnora: The Zemorian Invasion! Thousands of years ago there was a gr...
2.3K 1.3K 104
"My whole life changed after my mother's death. I was an orphan just before some time and now, I am a witch, the next heir of Witchdom, a princess, t...
46.6K 3.2K 52
**Wattys Shortlist 2018** Of Warrior and Crown || Book One Kiva is a general in the Lavri Resistance, dedicated to seeking justice and fighting again...
13.1K 934 82
"This bounty is mine, Xander," He said. It was the first time I ever heard his name. Xander smirked, "Kill me first, then take her." He proposed arr...