THE VILLAIN's APPRENTICE โœ”

Galing kay huntress2021

Transported to a parallel world that resembles ancient China, Dana has to live as Da Xia - the maidservant an... Higit pa

๐Ÿ—ก PROLOGUE
01 ๐Ÿ—ก Ancient Book
02 ๐Ÿ—ก Maidservant
03 ๐Ÿ—ก Master
04 ๐Ÿ—ก Strange World
05 ๐Ÿ—ก Meili, the Witch
07 ๐Ÿ—ก A Maiden's Heart
08 ๐Ÿ—ก The Value of a Maidservant
09 ๐Ÿ—ก Falling Leaves and First Snow
10 ๐Ÿ—ก Sword Dance
11 ๐Ÿ—ก Fame
12 ๐Ÿ—ก Poison Blood Curse
13 ๐Ÿ—ก Charcoal Drawing
14 ๐Ÿ—ก Spring Sunset
15 ๐Ÿ—ก Summoned Man
16 ๐Ÿ—ก Water Link
17 ๐Ÿ—ก Da Xia's Vow
18 ๐Ÿ—ก Wealth and Power
19 ๐Ÿ—ก Cao Manor's Banquet
20 ๐Ÿ—ก The Bear and The Wine Thief
21 ๐Ÿ—ก New and Broken Friendship
22 ๐Ÿ—ก Desert Fireballs
23 ๐Ÿ—ก Missing
24 ๐Ÿ—ก Rage of a Southern Guardian

06 ๐Ÿ—ก Hair Ornament

2.4K 207 81
Galing kay huntress2021

In his seventeen years of existence, Oreo thought he had seen a good amount of crazy, but nothing could be compared to the things he had experienced that day. His heart couldn't take any more surprises. Honestly, if he and a random child saw another being from the parallel world materialize before their eyes, he and that kid would cry together. Having Meili was already too much.

Leaning against the bedroom door with his arms across his chest, Oreo glanced at Ace and Meili who were having a conversation at the dining table. It was already dawn of Sunday, but his friend was still full of energy. Oh, he was so full of energy because of the nerd talk that he wanted to throw a brick at his face. That asshole. It was his fault in the first place, and he dragged him to this mess of no return.

Oreo brought his gaze back toward the body of Dana lying on the bed. Never in his life did he imagine that he would come across a soulless body. If he ever repeated any of his experiences today to anyone, that would probably earn him a golden ticket straight to the asylum.

He abruptly snapped out of his thoughts when he saw Dana's fingers moved. Surely, he was hallucinating because his brain was already half-dead from all the shocking things it had to endure. He blinked multiple times and stared at the short girl again.

When Dana opened her eyes, he was stupefied. He couldn't form any coherent words and just pointed at the bed while his other hand was wildly gesturing at Ace and Meili to come over. Seeing that the two were still preoccupied with their discussion, he swallowed hard and forced the words out of his mouth.

"Ace! Ace! Ace!"

"What is it this time?" his friend asked with disinterest.

"She's awake! Ace, she's awake!"

"What?!"

Ace and Meili hurried over, and the three of them crowded the bed, staring at Dana who was evidently still disoriented.

"W-who are you?" the girl mumbled groggily.

The three exchanged bewildered gazes, not knowing how to react.

Dana abruptly sat up and whispered, "I'm back." She then looked at her hands and body before darting her eyes around the room in shock.

"I'm back!" she exclaimed.

"Are you Dana?" Ace asked urgently.

"Yes, I am. Who are you?"

"Oh, my God! This is crazy! This is crazy!" Oreo yelled while holding his head with both hands, looking as though his mind was about to explode. "I can't handle this anymore!" he groaned and slumped on the floor with his back leaning against the wall.

"If you are back in your world, then why am I still here?" Meili asked in confusion.

Sensing that the two wouldn't be of any help, Ace took it upon himself to introduce themselves and to explain everything that happened thus far. Dana also recounted what happened to her ever since she was transported to the parallel world.

As they talked, they came into conclusion that one day in the modern world was around two weeks in Chun Empire, and two days in the modern world was worth about a month in the Chun Empire. The question they could not find an answer, though, was how Dana was able to get back to their world.

"If you possessed the body of my apprentice, what happened to the real Da Xia?" Meili inquired.

Dana's gaze was still unfocused, trying to gather her thoughts. It was mindboggling that she was talking to the villain written in the ancient book, but with what she experienced, facing the witch was not that surprising anymore.

"I'm not sure where the real Da Xia is. If my body didn't have a soul and I took over Da Xia's body, does that mean she's dead?"

"Since I was pulled into your world, then Da Xia might be in this world too," Meili responded.

"I'm worried for her."

"Although she is a weak 'awakened' one, my apprentice has a bit of qi in her core and she is a dark arts practitioner. She will be fine." The witch stared at the petite girl thoughtfully before adding, "I am uncertain if your return is something permanent or temporary. But if you find yourself back in my world, stick with that warrior as you travel to find the old hermit in North Mountain country. According to what I've read in the pages of the mysterious book, he is part of the Southern Guardians sect – the most elusive and secretive sect in the empire. Perhaps he could help you in finding the key to us switching worlds."

"Southern Guardians sect..." the petite girl murmured, as though recalling something. "My notes! And the book translation! Where's my bag?" she asked hurriedly.

Oreo threw the bag at Ace, and the latter pulled the documents from the bag before giving it to Dana. She then skimmed through the pages and pointed at a particular page.

"The story didn't change," she stated. "Here, Yong Jie encountered Cheng Bai alone. I was not written in it, though it was both of us who met the Snow Cloud disciple. Did the contents in the ancient book change?"

"No. I also noticed that the story written in it did not change even though I came here," Meili remarked. "Perhaps the contents written in the book would not change even if the events were altered. And there are things written in it that might still happen albeit rather differently, like meeting that Snow Cloud disciple for instance. Even if it was you and Yong Jie who met Cheng Bai, it did not change the fact that Yong Jie met Cheng Bai."

Dana and Ace nodded in agreement, while Oreo, who was still slumped on the floor, was unable to process anything anymore. He was also glaring at anyone or anything that produced a sound. With his stress level skyrocketing, it wouldn't be surprising if a demonic voice would come out of his mouth anytime soon.

"One thing I'm also curious about is why and how Meili's soul and body were transported to our world while only your soul was pulled to her world," Ace told Dana. "And if Meili's speculation that the real Da Xia is in this world, then does that mean Da Xia is now soulless because you're here?"

With Ace's words, Meili's expression turned restless. "Only dark arts practitioners could sense if a body doesn't have a soul," she commented. "To other people, Da Xia might appear like she's in a state of eternal sleep."

"A coma?" Ace frowned and asked, "Wouldn't the warrior abandon Da Xia if her body doesn't wake up?"

"It is likely that a Southern Guardian like him would do exactly what you said," Meili sighed heavily. If something were to happen to Da Xia's body, her apprentice wouldn't be able to go back and would be guided directly to the gates of the underworld.

"He won't abandon me," Dana murmured, her mind picturing the gentle gaze behind the sharp eyes of the warrior she had accompanied day and night, the flowers in the forest he would usually put on her hair as an ornament, the small flickers of fire he made to comfort her, and the red scarf he gave her. "He won't abandon me."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I—" Dana gasped as she placed her hand on her chest. "Something's happening. I feel like I'm being yanked by something."

Meili hastily formed a hand seal and touched Dana's forehead. She then spoke urgently, "Maiden, remember my words. Find a—"

Dana collapsed on the bed before the witch could finish. The two young guys jerked back in alarm and watched with their mouths partially open as the girl's body became immobile again.

"S-she returned to the parallel world again?" Oreo asked in bafflement. "Is this crazy day ever going to end?"

Find a body of water so I can communicate with you, maiden, Meili thought.

*****

"Da Xia. Da Xia!"

Amidst the haziness in her mind, the warrior's voice entered her ears. She slowly opened her eyes and squinted when the rays of the sun hit her. Beside her, Yong Jie was sitting on the ground with a concealed concern in his gaze.

"You finally woke up, you lazy girl," he complained.

The maidservant sat up and suddenly wrapped her arms around Yong Jie's body, startling the guy.

"Master, I haven't thanked you for taking me in. Please know that I'm grateful for everything," Da Xia murmured sincerely. Having experienced going back to her world and talking to Meili, she was reminded that her stay in Chun Empire would eventually come to an end. Something triggered her to come to this world, and in both instances, Yong Jie was there. Sooner or later, she would find out what the trigger was, but she didn't want to suddenly disappear without properly thanking the warrior who had been her shelter in this strange world.

The guy tilted his head to look at Da Xia and pushed her by the shoulders.

"You are saying odd things at this moment when you know you are to start practicing martial arts," he remarked and flicked the girl's forehead, making her yelp in pain and nurse the spot with both her hands.

"You are not getting away from practice. If you sleep like a log again, I will toss you off the cliff," he warned her as he stood up and offered his hand to the girl.

"Master, isn't it too late for me to practice martial arts?" the little maiden asked as she grabbed the guy's hand and pulled herself up. She then stood in front of him and began fixing the knot string of his cloak.

"There are disciples in our sect that started practicing martial arts later than you."

At the mention of his sect, Da Xia remembered that the guy had never mentioned the sect he belonged to. Although she already knew it, she had read it from the book. She was then reminded that she should be mindful of the things she said, and she should carefully remember the conversations they had in order not to slip up.

"Uhm... Which sect do you belong to, master?" she asked. According to the ancient book, the followers of the Southern Guardians sect would not casually reveal the sect they belonged to unless necessary or unless they trusted the person. No one except their disciples knew where the Land of Flowing Wind was exactly located. The book didn't mention as to why the sect was so secretive, or perhaps it was in the missing pages. Nevertheless, it wasn't something she was curious about. The important thing for her to know was what triggered her to being pulled into this world and how she could go back.

It came as no surprise that the warrior stared directly at her and studied her expression as he asked, "Is it important which sect I belong to?"

"Of course," the girl answered truthfully. "If you get in trouble and I have no means of helping you, I would make a fuss and drag the name of your sect until they have no choice but to come to your rescue," she stated matter-of-factly while dusting off the guy's cloak with her hands. She failed to see the small smile that formed on Yong Jie's lips.

The guy pulled out the squished flower sticking on her head and picked a wild flower on the ground. He then made her turn her back at him as he fixed her half bun.

"Southern Guardians sect," she heard him say and felt him tucking the flower on her hair – something that he had been constantly doing. "But I won't get myself in danger as to require the help of my brothers."

You will, Da Xia thought morosely. It was something that wouldn't happen soon, but it was indicated in the mysterious book that the warrior would face a lot of challenges. During that time, though, she might not be in this world anymore. And Yong Jie would probably be together with the heroine of the story.

"It's time to practice martial arts," the guy announced and gave her a slight push by the shoulders.

*****

"Don't just swing the sword without purpose! Use your strength!"

What strength? Da Xia couldn't even feel her body anymore and was functioning through sheer willpower alone. For weeks, she had been swinging and slashing the damn sword while gripping it with both her hands just as her master instructed, while walking in front of him and while carrying their belongings strapped on her back.

The guy, on the other hand, was controlling his fireballs and his hand seals while strictly monitoring her as he walked behind her. There was a fleeting moment that she thought of stabbing herself with the stupid sword to get it over with. Her death was the only reason she could think of to stop the warrior from torturing her.

Whenever she stopped to rest her arms, Yong Jie would use a little flicker of fire to pick up a pebble and hurl it at her. He had developed that particular skill just to ensure that she wouldn't slack off. Those pebbles were covered in flames, for Pete's sake! She had to dodge it every time to avoid her hair being burned. And he had the audacity to call it 'practice'.

"It will increase your awareness," he said. "It will develop your skill of dodging," he said. Those were his annoying reasons whenever she complained about those burning pebbles.

Hah! Awareness? The only thing she had been highly aware of ever since the warrior insisted on practicing martial arts together was her aching muscles as well as her growing desire TO DIE!

From the very start, Da Xia knew it was a horrible idea to practice martial arts. How could a modern woman like her learn swordsmanship when she couldn't even slash those big-ass watermelons in Fruit Ninja? She even had hand cramps whenever she played that game in her cellphone. And now she had to carry a real sword?

A couple of steps away from her, her master hollered, "Da Xia! Focus on your practice! You still have to learn how to use a bow and arrow!"

Whattt? The short girl glanced back in shock.

"And you also need to get used to holding the sword with one hand!"

Da Xia couldn't believe what she was hearing. All her limbs were about to disengage from her body due to exhaustion, but the guy had a whole new list of training menu to turn her into a monster. His unwavering conviction to impart her with his martial arts knowledge sometimes brought tears to her eyes – tears of misery and sorrow. Seriously, the things he wanted her to do were not humanly possible.

The soldiers in the modern world would faint with Yong Jie's concept of training, otherwise known as torture. Once she gets back, forget about being an assistant feature writer, she could change her job to be an assassin. Bullets? Have you met Yong Jie? The fire conjurer who hurl burning pebbles at a speed almost impossible for the naked eyes to see?

"You also have to learn hand to hand battle!" the warrior added while two fireballs circled around him. "And you also—Da Xia! Da Xia, where are you going?"

The girl couldn't hear him anymore as she abandoned the sword and ran in full speed away from him.

Yong Jie chuckled while looking at the escaping little maiden. Da Xia would probably breathe fire once she finds out that running away was part of his training plan for her.

*****

There was nothing that prepared Oreo and Ace for the amount of calories they had to burn and the level of intelligence they had to use to be able to help Meili in facing the modern world, or to prepare the modern world in facing Meili.

Sunday was supposed to be a stress-free day, but not that particular Sunday when they had to teach the witch the basic things she had to do to keep herself from being arrested by the cops. The woman only had 'murder' as her default answer to everything, which made teaching her such a painful task.

Oreo's brain was becoming foggy that he could've sworn he saw the Grim Reaper's welcoming committee. Death was calling him, and the invitation was becoming very tempting the more he spent time with Meili.

"No. Meili, listen to me," Oreo groaned in frustration as he buried his face in his palms. He then lifted his head and stared at the witch with pleading eyes. "You cannot kill anyone in this world. Anyone!"

The three of them were sitting on the floor in Dana's living room with various things laid down in front of them as they introduced the modern devices and other stuff to Meili.

When Dana went back to the parallel world, they drafted a plan wherein Meili would copy the appearance of Dana again and file an Indefinite Leave of Absence in her office to help out Dana. This way, Meili could move freely and wouldn't have to copy the short girl's appearance whenever she went out. They also planned on getting a new set of clothes for her and teaching her the things she needed to know about the modern world.

They were still discussing the part of how Meili should conduct herself when she enters Dana's office, but based on her replies, half of Dana's company would be annihilated once they unleash the witch unto them.

"What should you say when the security staff gets suspicious of you and asks for your ID?"

"I shall silence him. A dead person couldn't talk."

"When you encounter Dana's officemates and they ask you why you're behaving in a strange way, what should you do?"

"Kill them."

"What if Dana's boss doesn't approve of your request to file Indefinite Leave of Absence?"

"Then he will meet his demise. How dare he deprive me of what I requested?"

"Oh, dear God!" Oreo exclaimed loudly and threw an irritated glance at Ace. He would love to strangle his friend's neck for bringing them this misfortune if only he had an ounce of strength left.

"She has the defense mechanism of a wild animal!" he hissed between gritted teeth. "Do you know where she belongs to? THE ZOO!"

Ace massaged his nape while shutting his eyes firmly. Meili's 'kill-them-all' logic and Oreo's incessant whining was slowly extinguishing his will to live. Come Monday, he didn't want to imagine what kind of mayhem Meili would unleash in News86's office.

"All right," Ace said tiredly. "Just stick with the plan, Meili. Don't hurt or kill anyone. Don't use your powers. And just...don't talk. Please don't talk," he pleaded.

He showed her again the pictures of Dana's office which they saw in her social media account and explained everything to Meili.

"You have to find her boss's room and give him this paper," Ace repeated, showing the printed copy of the Indefinite Leave of Absence application with Dana's signature which they forged. "Then, get out of there and come back to this condo. We will teach you later how to use the public transportation."

The witch nodded without uttering a word. Ace then shifted his attention to Oreo, and the two began discussing about buying some clothes for her. As the two were talking, Meili was quietly observing them.

What a strange world, she thought. The young men were showing no caution even with the absence of weapons. They said they were not sons of nobles, but instead of worrying if there would be food on their tables, they were sitting idly and chatting in the middle of the day. And they were even attending an academy where they could learn a lot of things instead of spending all their time doing labor to help their household.

Meili tilted her head slightly in amazement, wondering if the two young men, as well as the people of the modern world, were aware of how fortunate they were.

*****

Battles do not only happen during the day; they can also occur at night. This was what Yong Jie told her, and it was also the reason why she had to train even at night.

Da Xia squinted her eyes while pulling the bow's drawstring as far back as possible until the bow felt tight, with the arrow guided by her fingers.

"Elbow up. Back straight," her master instructed as he stood behind her, checking her stance and her aim. He would sometimes hold her waist or her arm to correct her stance, but the girl still couldn't understand how she could properly aim if she couldn't see anything with the darkness of the night.

She was being trained to shoot a stationary target, but she couldn't even hit it during the day with the brightness of the sun. How could it be possible at night especially when the moon was hidden by the clouds?

"Be patient," the warrior ordered. "Your eyes will get accustomed to the dark, and you'll be able to see the silhouette of the target."

When she thought she saw the silhouette of the target, which was a tree in a distance, Da Xia released the arrow. But instead of the crisp sound of the tree trunk being struck, the sound of the arrow speeding to heaven knows where was heard.

Her shoulders sagged in defeat and a helpless sigh escaped her lips. More than a month of training but she was still holding the sword with both her hands and swinging it awkwardly, and she couldn't even hit a stationary target with a bow and arrow.

Seeing her crestfallen face, Yong Jie placed his hand on her head and ruffled her hair slightly. "Don't be discouraged. You are just starting. Learning martial arts and how to use weapons cannot be rushed," he explained. "Stay here. I'll get the arrow."

Da Xia watched the guy in silence as he conjured two fireballs to light his path while striding toward where the arrow was. The warrior didn't know that there was another reason why she was in despair.

It had been more than a month since she slipped back to the modern world and since then, she made sure to sleep beside Yong Jie while he gave her warmth through his qi. She thought it might be the reason why she was able to go back, but she was mistaken. There was no other choice but to revert to her former plan of asking help from the old hermit in North Mountain country.

Having experienced returning to her world and waking up in Chun Empire again was like handing her a present and taking it away right after.

With those thoughts running through her mind, her heart felt heavy as she trudged toward the tree where their clothes that she washed earlier were hanged. She didn't even notice that Yong Jie already returned and was following her with his gaze.

The guy leaned against a tree as he watched the girl neatly folding his clothes and stuffing it with a peel of citrus fruit afterward. In her clothes, she placed petals of flowers in between the folds. That explained the citrus scent that he smelled from his robes and the flower scent from hers.

Despite the harsh training that he devised for her, his maidservant always did her best and never neglected her daily duties. Their water containers were always full; they never ran out of fruits to eat; and his clothes were always clean thanks to her.

The truth was, even if he accepted the servitude contract, he meant to leave Da Xia at Yellow Dirt City. But whenever he glanced at her as she trailed behind him, she would give him the brightest smile even though she was clearly not used to the long hike in the forest. Days turned to weeks, then to months, but he wasn't able to leave the girl behind.

She came from the witch's manor, but she possessed the innocence of a newborn baby. He couldn't help but wonder what kind of life she led before he met her. But their journey was long, and just as he had a lot to understand about her, she also had a lot to understand about him.

His hand reached for the hilt of the sword at his back and drew it, bringing the blade in front of his eyes. The engraved characters on the blade near the hilt were almost undetectable if one wouldn't inspect it.

Memories of the past filled his mind as he read the engraving – his Southern Guardian alias that was bestowed upon him during his younger years because of a horrific incident. His reputation that echoed throughout the empire because of what he did remained an interesting topic to the people, but the person behind the alias remained a mystery since no one had clearly seen his face – not even the hunters who saw his last fight at that time and who found the terrifying scene he left behind.

He only lost control once, and he hoped he wouldn't experience it again. At least, not in front of Da Xia.

The girl already dozed off and was sprawled on the ground without a care in the world. A smirk formed on his lips as he stared at the little maiden extending her hand, seemingly searching for something beside her. It was the spot where he usually lay when they were about to sleep.

He made his way toward the girl and lifted her up. He then set her down on top of his cloak lying on the ground. After settling beside his maidservant, Yong Jie grabbed the blanket and put it over their bodies before gathering the girl in his arms.

Just like the previous nights, the warrior used his fire conjuring skills to give warmth to the little maiden, especially since the winter was approaching. As he was chasing sleep, his hand grabbed Da Xia's hand, and he noticed the callouses that were starting to dry.

They still had a long way to go before they arrive at Plum Mist village located at the foot of the next mountain since they were constantly practicing martial arts which was slowing them down. But once they reach the village, he planned on using the money he earned from the traveling merchants and the money he won from the gambling den to buy the things that the girl needed.

"Master," Da Xia murmured while her eyes remained shut. Yong Jie was already used to the girl mumbling incoherent words while sleeping, which was sometimes his source of amusement. He would often tease her about it, but the girl never believed she said those things on her sleep.

"Master," she whispered again.

"Hmm?"

"Warm."

"Hmm."

"Feels like..."

"Hmm?"

"...home."

*****

Meili darted her eyes, observing the people around her. It was amazing how everyone was glued to the rectangular object they called cellphone like it was something so mystifying that they couldn't take their eyes off it.

They were in the subway platform waiting for the train to arrive, which was like a long line of carriage that could hold a lot of people according to the two boys. Since Da Xia's clothes did not fit her, Ace and Oreo brought her a change of clothes and she again hid the girl's body in the 'boundless realm'. They decided on doing that since they didn't know when Dana would wake up and be pulled back to the Chun Empire again. They needed to talk to her once she wakes up to better understand what was happening to them.

The witch was wearing a long, cotton skirt, a knitted sweater and a pair of comfortable rubber shoes. Even with the simple getup, her beauty and height were eye-catching. She could easily pass as a model with her elegant bearing and her stunning appearance.

"Meili, remember, whatever happens, don't use your power," Oreo reminded her.

"Understood."

"And be careful inside the subway train. You have to hold the steel bar since the train is very fast."

The witch scoffed as she saw the arriving train slowing down until it came to a halt.

"With that kind of speed, my skills in martial arts is enough," she boasted. "The horses in Chun Empire is faster than that carriage."

After the passengers disembarked, Ace and Oreo guided her inside and instructed her to hold the steel bar. She still couldn't believe that such carriage could run without a horse and without any wheels.

As the two young guys were discussing their plans for the rest of Sunday night, Meili roamed her gaze inside the subway train. There were so many people inside, and she was beginning to think that the carriage wouldn't be able to run with the amount of weight it has to carry.

When Meili let go of the steel bar and tucked her hair on her ear, the subway abruptly jolted forward and sped away, startling her. It was too late to grab the steel bar as her body was thrown back.

Oreo and Ace weren't able to quickly react either. The moment the subway left the platform, they saw Meili's body being hurled back. Then, a loud screech like a terrified pterodactyl filled the air, scaring the living hell out of all the passengers.

Crouching on the floor on all fours, the witch was screaming madly like a demon being showered by holy water. The two boys rapidly moved and grabbed her arms, guiding her toward the steel bar. Meili glared sharply at the two and snapped at them.

"If you only allowed me to use my power, this wouldn't have happened," she hissed.

"My skills in martial arts is enough!" Oreo mimicked what she said earlier in a deep voice while pumping his clenched fist, making Ace bite his bottom lip to stifle his smile.

It was such a challenge not to laugh at Meili. Her hair was covering her face, her clothes were disheveled, and she was hugging the steel bar like her life depended on it. She was even slapping away the hands of other passengers who dared to grab it.

Fortunately, Meili was using her real appearance instead of Dana's or they wouldn't know how to explain why she instantly became a subway legend.

Ace and Oreo thought that the incident in the subway would be the last scene that Meili would create. They couldn't be more wrong.

As they were roaming around the city and introducing things to the witch while eating ice cream, a guy bumped into Meili, causing her ice cream to fall to the ground.

"M-my sweet snow cream..." the witch gasped as she stared at the ice cream on the ground, her eyes almost turning red with immense anger. Then, she abruptly turned around and pointed at the guy.

"You...wretched...creature! DIE!" she hollered at the dumbfounded man and was about to claw his eyeballs out if Ace wasn't quick enough to hold her shoulders.

"Meili! Stop it!" Ace pleaded while trying to block the charging witch.

But the woman was roaring in fury and was adamant on hurting the man who stood frozen on his spot, completely stupefied. Oreo had to grab Meili's long hair while pushing a lamp post with his right foot for leverage to stop the witch from leaping toward the man to tear his limbs apart. And Meili's explosive anger didn't stop there. It was like a parade of disaster one after another. The day had been very exhausting for the two young guys.

Upon reaching the riverbank, Oreo and Ace slumped on the grass with their backs leaning against each other while panting heavily. Meili sat near them, hugging her knees.

"This has been the most chaotic day of my life," Oreo declared. "This day was engineered by Satan, I'm telling you."

"I didn't expect a day would come that I would agree with your nonsense," Ace remarked. "Hell does exist."

"You know what?" Oreo glanced back at his friend with an accusing glare. "I'm still blaming you for this. If you didn't brag about that stupid ancient book in that stupid library, I wouldn't have thought of submitting it as my Comprehensive Writing topic and I wouldn't have gone to that stupid library which I never gone to for years! You planned this!"

"Of course, I planned all this." Ace rolled his eyes and exhaled audibly. "I purchased that ancient book during middle school and planted it in the tomb of the palace scribe. I've been living my years waiting for this moment," he added sarcastically. "You idiot. How the hell could I have planned all this?"

"Whatever," Oreo shot back. "It's still you who helped her. Why do you always have to help everyone, Ace? Why? Do you intend to save humankind? Congratulations, you've succeeded. I bet the future generations will create songs about your brilliance."

"If you really don't want to help out, then stop tagging along."

"Are you sure you can handle Meili without me?" the tall guy challenged. "If I wasn't there earlier, that poor man would've lost one of his eyeballs!"

True, Ace thought. Besides, he knew that even if his friend loved to rant, he wouldn't abandon him. Moving his mouth and spouting nonsense was just how Oreo always was. That, and because his friend had long deluded himself that he was the Einstein of their generation and that his words, no matter how useless, mattered.

Anyway, if his friend wasn't with him earlier, he might've witnessed a murder happening before his very eyes. Meili was almost unstoppable, and it was terrifying to hear a woman growl in anger. He almost thought she was about to give birth to a baby demon. She was completely redefining his views of women in general, to be honest.

Oreo moved toward Meili and sat beside the witch, settling on her left side as he extended his legs and planted his palms on the ground. Ace did the same and sat on the woman's right side.

After glancing around and after making sure that there was nobody near them, the witch made a hand seal and waved her hand at the river. But she couldn't feel the presence of Dana near a body of water, so she couldn't form a water link to communicate with her even though she made a connection with Dana by making a seal on her forehead before the girl was pulled back to Chun Empire. Or, perhaps, it didn't work because they were in different worlds.

"Hey!" Oreo nudged the witch and widened his eyes at her. "Don't use your powers!"

"I wanted to check if I could communicate with the young maiden," she sighed and hugged her knees again. "But she wasn't able to hear my words before she was pulled back to Chun Empire. Hence, she didn't know what to do in order for me to communicate with her."

"Well, you have to warn us before you do that...that witch thing so that we are well-prepared to run away in case any mishaps happen," Oreo reasoned, making the woman look at him with judging eyes.

"Oh. Oh. Ace, she's judging me."

Ace chuckled as he lay down on the ground with his arms beneath his head. "You must've realized it, Meili. But, yes, Oreo is a coward. He's an embarrassment to us, modern men."

"Yo, I'm brave!" the tall guy shot back. "Look at me sitting beside the biggest threat to humanity."

"I pose no threat to anyone," Meili scowled at him.

"I'm sorry, does 'killing' mean 'making friends'? Because here in our world, 'killing' means murder!"

A frightening smirk curved on the woman's lips as she spoke, "Those people I meant to kill are useless alive."

"Did you hear what she just said?" Oreo muttered in a breathless voice as he looked at his friend in disbelief. "We have to purify her. She is destroying the harmony of this ethereal place."

Tomorrow, when they let Meili enter News86 to submit the document without their supervision, Dana's company would probably be in ruins.

*****

The afternoon sun was shining brightly, but it wasn't able to defeat the freezing wind. Winter was fast approaching, which was the season Da Xia dreaded the most.

Adjusting her red scarf on her neck, she continued practicing with the sword while the warrior walked a few meters behind her, trying to throw the fireballs in a far distance with no success. Just like the other fire conjurers, Yong Jie's fireballs would vanish when they reached a certain distance.

From what Da Xia could recall, it was written in the ancient book that Yong Jie's power would improve but only to a slight extent. After all, it was the fate of fire conjurers not to reach the peak of 'awakening', which was why it was considered a disability. But he was the male lead, so what he lacked in power would be compensated with his wit, his fighting skills, as well as his luck.

As they were walking with the sun above them, the girl watched her shadow and her master's shadow moving around. Ever since she came to Chun Empire, she had never been apart from the guy. They always moved as a pair. Living in this era would have been unbearable if not for Yong Jie, and no words could describe how grateful she was to the warrior.

Hence, she decided that as long as she was with him, she would use the little knowledge she had of the story in the ancient book to make his journey a comfortable one. There were a lot of trials and tribulations in store for the warrior, but she would make sure he would be able to surmount them in the fastest and easiest way possible. She only hoped that tampering with the story line wouldn't make matters worse.

But from what Meili told her, it seemed that the story in the ancient book was not altered even if the events were changed. The events in the book still happened, though slightly different, like when Yong Jie met Cheng Bai.

Voices of people arguing pulled her out of her trance. The guy was instantly beside her and grabbed the sword from her hand, frowning at the path hidden by trees.

"Stay behind me," he instructed as he walked forward.

There was no worry or fear in Da Xia's expression as she followed the guy. She knew what was happening at the end of the path because she had read this chapter in the pages of the book.

Just as she expected, a gang of thugs was blocking the path of a group of maidens clad in pink robes with thick, white cloak and beautiful hair ornaments tucked in their half bun, their long hair dancing softly when the wind blew. The ladies were gripping their swords as they stood in front of two horse-drawn carts, and their eyes showed no sign of surrender even though they were clearly outnumbered.

If the gang of thugs fought them, the ladies with milky white skin who looked like they had not been touched by the sun for a long time would surely lose. Even someone as inexperienced in fighting as Da Xia could tell that only a few of them were skilled in actual battle. The only chance they had to be able to win was if there was an 'awakened' one in their lot. But Da Xia knew there was none. She also knew that a fight would not happen, because Yong Jie would step in to help them.

"I was wondering what the commotion was about," the warrior spoke calmly, but there was a hidden threat in his voice. He draped the blade of his sword on his right shoulder and grinned as he added, "I never would have thought to cross paths with you this soon, Little Fang."

The gang leader, named Fang, abruptly spun around and gawked at Yong Jie, unwilling to believe his misfortune of facing this unruly and frightening warrior again. Back in Old Burrow village, they had an encounter with Yong Jie when he was still leading the guards of the traveling merchants.

Their gang, called Wooden Bridge gang, were always lurking at the gates of Old Burrow village and would usually extort money from merchants or from groups of travelers by making them pay for a 'path fee'. This meant they could only enter the village if they pay the fee. The gang had been doing it for years on different villages which were the usual resting spots of travelers.

Never did they imagine that they would meet someone as strange and fearsome as Yong Jie. Not only did he beat them all up, he practically enslaved them for the rest of his stay in the village. He ordered the rest of the guards of the traveling merchants to keep an eye on each of them. And whenever someone would try to escape, he would hunt their gangmate like a wild animal and tie him by the village gates. It was the darkest days of the Wooden Bridge gang.

Other warriors would not tarnish their opponent's dignity like the way Yong Jie did, but he was such a wicked man with no regard to the rules of battle. Winners stay, losers die or walk away – this was the unspoken rule. But the warrior insisted that they had to pay their debt to the villagers for disrupting their way of life and made the gang do manual labor.

When Yong Jie finally set them free, he threatened to slit the stomach of Fang and display his internal organs for the entire empire to see if he ever caught them extorting money again. His words still brought nightmares up to this day.

"S-Senior Jie," Fang stuttered as he made his salute, cupping his closed fist with his other hand. "We're not causing trouble. We were just asking these maidens for some food."

"Asking for some food?" one of the ladies snorted. "You were behaving like bandits and demanded us to hand over our supplies!"

Yong Jie patted his shoulder with his sword, his eyes narrowing at the gang. "Ever since you left Old Burrow village, did you change your jobs to become bandits?" He sneered menacingly and added, "I abhor bandits."

"Senior Jie!" Fang exclaimed as he and his gang all knelt on the ground with their weapons laid down in front of them and with their hands cupped in a hold fist salute. "Please forgive us this once. We are simply desperate for food as we left with nothing but our weapons and the clothes on our backs."

"That is not an excuse," the warrior snarled at them. "Even my maidservant knows how to feed herself by picking fruits. A bunch of able-bodied thugs like you could hunt for food."

The men bowed their head in shame, unable to meet his eyes. When the warrior stepped forward, they all cowered in fear. Fortunately, the guy sheathed his sword and stopped in front of the maiden who seemed to be the leader of the group of traveling ladies.

"Greetings, maiden," the warrior cupped his fist and bowed slightly. "My name is Yong Jie, and this is my maidservant, Da Xia."

Da Xia crossed her hands above her chest and bowed, a proper greeting gesture for maidens just like what she read in the ancient book.

The lady with a kind face and charming eyes reciprocated the gesture while smiling. "Greetings, warrior, maiden. My name is Qian Ru. We are from the Rose Petal sect. Please accept our gratitude for coming to our aid."

Rose Petal sect was a small sect near the capital in North Mountain country. It was a peaceful sect that was immersed in arts, music, and in growing herbs. Its disciples would sometimes travel to different lands to view different sceneries, people, and events that would inspire them to write poems and novels, to create paintings, and to further enhance their artistic prowess.

Yong Jie placed his hand on Da Xia's head before glancing at the Wooden Bridge gang.

"Sit down, you lot. Don't think of escaping," he warned them.

While everyone's attention was glued on the gang who were settling themselves on the ground, Da Xia's eyes stayed at Qian Ru who was gazing at her master with interest.

It's happening, she thought. Yong Jie's harem number one made an appearance and was smitten by the warrior. The female supporting character – Qian Ru. Though she was not the female lead, she would be of great help to Yong Jie.

She then shifted her gaze at a particular lady standing near the carriage with a dangling hair ornament tucked in her bun and smiled inwardly. That woman was Qian Ru's trusted aide, named Rong Rong, who loved to be called 'Older Sister'. As described in the book, Rong Rong could easily be persuaded if one acted sweetly toward her while calling her 'Older Sister'.

When Rong Rong's eyes met hers, she gave her the brightest smile she could muster. It was time to make her move.

Da Xia was about to run toward Rong Rong but almost fell backward when Yong Jie grabbed her back collar and dragged her beside him again.

"Where are you going?" he asked in a stern voice. The girl immediately covered her forehead with both hands.

"I'll just talk to that older sister, please don't flick my forehead."

"All right. Don't go running like a child," he reminded her before finally letting go. "And observe proper etiquette, wait—Da Xia. Da Xia!"

"Yes, master!" the girl waved her hands at him and bounced merrily toward Rong Rong. The warrior watched silently as his maidservant properly greeted the lady and touched the lady's dangling hair ornament before he turned his attention back to Qian Ru.

Da Xia showered Rong Rong with her charms as she held her hand and sweetly called her 'Older Sister' while praising her beauty. The lady was immensely delighted with how she was being treated by the petite girl, and it made her more welcoming of the little maidservant.

"Older Sister, are you going to travel over the winter? The wind is harsh in the mountains. You should prepare warmer clothes," Da Xia said.

"We won't be on the road during winter. Our destination is near, and we will probably arrive there in a week." Rong Rong smiled at the girl and pulled out one flower from the maidservant's half bun, tickling the girl's nose with it afterward. "What is a cute, little one like you doing in the forest? It is such a dangerous place, especially at night."

Da Xia giggled and rubbed her nose. "Master chose the path through the mountains so that we can train while we travel."

"Then it's you who should take care during winter. It seems you don't have a proper cloak."

Bingo! Her goal was uttered by the lady, and she was led to it naturally.

"I don't have a cloak." She beamed at Rong Rong as she grabbed her hands again and swayed it left and right. "But if Older Sister has an old fabric or curtain that you are willing to give me so I can make a winter cloak for my master, I would really appreciate it."

"Silly girl. You don't need to make one for him. Your master helped us, so Lady Qian Ru will certainly offer anything to him. He can choose whatever he likes in our cart."

"Uh... My master will not take the winter cloak, Older Sister," Da Xia replied. The truth was, Qian Ru would give Yong Jie something more precious than anything in the cart. It was precisely the reason why Da Xia took it upon herself to get a winter cloak for her master. Yong Jie wouldn't ask for anything once he accepted Qian Ru's gift.

In the story, the Rose Petal's famed lady would give the warrior a Rose Petal's guest sect token, which was a talisman bestowed by senior disciples to people they trusted. A guest sect token was like a gate pass infused with qi to enter the land of a sect that they didn't belong to. Without it, they wouldn't get past the invisible barrier surrounding the sect's territory unless they were accompanied by the sect's disciple. Hence, it was a gift that should not be taken lightly – a gift that was not given to just about anyone. And according to the ancient book, Yong Jie would accept that gift and would later use it because of the female lead of the story.

"Hmm... In that case, I'll let you pick the winter cloak for him," Rong Rong smiled.

Meanwhile, Yong Jie and Qian Ru continued with their discussion. The warrior was adamant to pay for some of the food in the cart which he planned to give to Wooden Bridge gang, but the lady firmly refused to accept his payment. However, due to the gang's shameful behavior earlier, Yong Jie insisted and still paid for the food.

"Why would you care for these men who commit wicked act?" Qian Ru asked, curious as to why the warrior would be so kind as to feed the thugs.

Yong Jie crossed his arms over his chest and glanced at the gang who was sitting on the ground nervously, thinking that the warrior would soon bestow his punishment upon them.

"They are just a bunch of fools in the wrong path," he answered. "They were born in misfortune and grew up misguided. That's why they ended up as how they are now."

Realization dawned on the lady, and her smile grew wider. Unlike other people who were quick to throw their judgment, Yong Jie understood that the Wooden Bridge gang was unlike the forest bandits who commit unforgivable acts and were completely unredeemable. They could have easily hurt them a while ago, but the thugs only tried to scare them to give their supplies away. As he said, the gang was just a bunch of fools struggling to survive, but they unfortunately lacked the opportunity to lead a decent life.

There was a glint of admiration in the lady's eyes as she stared at the warrior, and she couldn't suppress the growing feeling of wanting to know more about the man.

*****

Bread was something that was almost a luxury when one was traversing the forest. Hence, the Wooden Bridge gang was so delighted when they learned that Yong Jie paid the Rose Petal sect disciples for the bread and other food to give to them. They were like a bunch of chicks as they sat obediently on the ground, waiting for Da Xia to give their share.

The gang leader, on the other hand, was eyeing Yong Jie standing in a distance with concealed contempt. He still couldn't forget how he enslaved them back in the Old Burrow village. If he were given an opportunity, he would certainly avenge their gang's embarrassment and bring trouble to the warrior.

Unknown to him, the little maiden knew of his plan for revenge. And Da Xia also knew that Fang would have that opportunity in the future and would put Yong Jie in a sticky situation.

The girl's lips curved in a mysterious smile. Having knowledge of some of the future events was tremendously beneficial. Since she was by the warrior's side, she would prevent it from happening.

Da Xia slumped in front of Fang and began handing him his share of food. The gang leader grunted his thanks without looking at the girl, but the maidservant was slow in her actions as she hugged the basket of food as though searching for the correct bread to give him.

"Brother Fang," the girl started, her eyes glancing momentarily at Yong Jie, who was still talking to Qian Ru, as though checking that the guy wouldn't hear them. She then shifted her attention back at the gang leader and stared at him with a serious gaze. "Do you still not understand why my master did that to your gang in the Old Burrow village?"

Fang frowned, but kept his mouth shut. What was there to understand? He beat them up when they tried to get a 'path fee' from him and made them do manual labor for the villagers to embarrass them and to boast his strength. Not to mention, he tied some of his escaping gangmates in the village gates for everyone to see.

Da Xia's next words were something that Yong Jie didn't tell her, which was why she was being extremely cautious as she talked to the gang leader. Fortunately, the warrior was still discussing something with the famed lady of Rose Petal sect and the two were now walking away from them.

"This is what happened," Da Xia started, grabbing the attention of Fang as well as his other gangmates who huddled together with them. "My master actually visited the Old Burrow village days before the traveling merchants arrived there. He wanted to check the safety of the place since words already spread among other villages about your gang and your ridiculous 'path fee'. The other villages you stayed in complained that you disrupted their business because there were a lot of merchants and travelers who opted not to stay there because of your exorbitant fee."

"As he was staying in the village, he observed your gang and noticed that even though you are a group of thugs, you didn't hurt anyone in the village and would pay for your food and your stay. He also realized that you all take great care of this boy," she explained, and patted the head of the ten-year-old boy, whom they called Peng Peng, sitting quietly beside Fang.

The gang leader draped a protective arm over the boy's shoulder and gave him half of his share of food. "Peng Peng is our youngest member, so we have to take care of him," he mumbled.

Da Xia looked at Fang squarely in the eyes as she continued, "However, the fact that Wooden Bridge gang blocked the village gates and extorted money from travelers was something that reached the ears of the local officials from Yellow Dirt City."

"What?" Fang exclaimed in alarm. If local officials of Yellow Dirt City were mobilized to hunt them, they would all end up in a graveyard. His grip on the little boy tightened, and his heart started to race in fear.

"And that is the reason why my master did that to you when he returned to Old Burrow village together with the traveling merchants." Da Xia smiled at the man who stared at her in bewilderment, still not understanding what she was telling them.

The girl placed a bread on Fang's hand as she spoke, "In front of the villagers, he defeated you and made you do manual labor to appease them. He tied your gangmates to the village gates whenever someone tried to run away, because he wanted to show the villagers that not a single one of you could escape. Then, he set you all free in the middle of the night and spread the word that Wooden Bridge gang was already disbanded and would never disturb other villages again. He also convinced the villagers not to file a complaint to the magistrate's office."

Da Xia grabbed a bread from the basket and handed it to the next gang member while Fang stared at her in bafflement as he finally realized what the little maiden was trying to get across.

"H-he saved us?" Fang murmured, confusion and disbelief laced in his voice.

The petite girl nodded and smiled at him. "It was all for show, especially because he heard that the local officials were planning to capture all of you. Since the villagers witnessed how he defeated you and how he treated you, they didn't suspect anything and it was reported to the local officials that there is no Wooden Bridge gang anymore."

"I see."

"Later, when my master gives you something, accept it and don't doubt his words."

"I told you he is a nice man," Peng Peng interjected. "Back in Old Burrow village, he also gave me food."

A satisfied grin passed Da Xia's lips as she studied Fang's expression. The look of gratitude on the gang leader's face as well as the murmur of approval among the other gang members proved that she had succeeded.

In the story, Fang and his gang were saved by Yong Jie, but the Wooden Bridge gang didn't know this since the warrior was not one to boast his good deeds. Hence, they harbored ill feelings toward the warrior and would later collaborate with his enemy to cause him trouble. Seeing that the misunderstanding was cleared and that the gang now knew that Yong Jie was their savior, Da Xia heaved a sigh of relief.

Her smile faded and her eyebrows mashed together when she saw that the last piece of bread in the basket was covered with molds. Such a waste, she thought. It had been months since she last ate bread. Even though she already ate one, she was still craving for more bread.

As Fang and his gangmates discussed what the little maiden told them, the girl was not paying attention anymore as she removed the outer layer of the bread covered with molds. Even though she knew it was not wise to eat it, she couldn't help her body's cry for carbohydrates.

"Older Sister, don't eat it!" Peng Peng cried out in alarm, grabbing the attention of Yong Jie. Seeing that the warrior was coming over them in long strides, Da Xia stuffed the entire bread in her mouth and chewed hastily.

"What happened?" Yong Jie asked urgently, unable to hide the worry in his face.

"Moldy bread," Peng Peng pointed at the girl.

The warrior narrowed his eyes at the little maiden who was pushing a protruding bread in her mouth.

"Spit it out," he ordered as he crouched in front of his maidservant.

The girl shook her head vigorously, her eyes full of determination. It was as though she was telling him that she would finish that damn bread even if she dies.

"Spit it out!" Yong Jie hissed and held her face, applying pressure on her cheeks to make her open her mouth. The girl whimpered and was eventually forced to spit out the moldy bread.

"You foolish girl!" the warrior snapped at her, his loud voice making everyone jerk back in surprise. "What if you get sick because of that?"

"Master, that was the last piece," the little maiden mumbled dejectedly, unmindful of the guy's temper while the Wooden Bridge gang was even holding their breaths in fear. Even though the guy was their savior, his angry voice still struck terror in their hearts.

Yong Jie let out an exasperated sigh before putting his hand on Da Xia's head, slightly ruffling the girl's hair.

"You already ate. Your stomach might hurt if you eat too much," he reasoned, his expression gradually becoming gentle. "Come on, stop sulking," Yong Jie instructed as he stood up. "Fetch some water in the nearby brook and fill our containers."

Da Xia nodded and grabbed the water containers, leaving them behind. Fang then stood up and faced the warrior who seemed like he had something to say to him.

"Go to Yellow Dirt City," Yong Jie said and tossed a small, circular metal engraved with a certain character at the gang leader. "The traveling merchants I worked with will stay there until the end of winter. Show them that token, and they will know that I sent you. Quit being a group of thugs and work for them. The pay might not be high, but they provide food and shelter."

The rest of the Wooden Bridge gang all shot to their feet and looked at the small, circular metal, unable to believe that the little object would grant them employment. They had been traveling from village to village, but nobody gave them the opportunity to work in any stores. Hence, they opted to be thugs instead under the leadership of Fang.

"Senior Jie, they might not want to take us in," Fang voiced his doubts. "They might not want Peng Peng to tag along."

A ten-year-old boy was another mouth to feed for the traveling merchants, and he would not be of much use to them. But Peng Peng was like the youngest brother to the gang, and they were unwilling to part with the boy.

"Once they see that small token, they will understand," the warrior explained. "Whoever has that token is someone sent by me, and will be employed by them. I already discussed with the merchant leader that I plan on giving that to you if I encountered you again, and he knew that you value this little boy." Yong Jie patted the young boy's shoulder. "I didn't anticipate I'd cross paths with you soon."

Like what the little maiden told them, Yong Jie indeed gave them something, and it was something so precious. If the maidservant didn't explain everything to them, they would have doubted the warrior's words and would go on a different path.

Fang and his members bowed their heads while cupping their fists in a respectful salute. They couldn't even utter a word of thanks as they were overwhelmed with gratitude.

*****

Standing in front of the News86 building, Meili, bearing the appearance of Dana, was unperturbed while the two young guys could not hide their anxiousness. With Meili's violent behavior the previous night, Ace and Oreo decided to skip their Monday classes to accompany the woman and wait for her until she submitted Dana's Indefinite Leave of Absence.

"Stick to the plan, all right? You'll be okay, Meili. Everything's going to be fine," Oreo reminded the witch. "Are you okay, Ace? Am I okay?"

Clearly, panic had overtaken Oreo's body. He couldn't shake off the thought that the witch would burn News86's office to the ground if somebody angered her. He had never seen a dead body before, but with Meili's temper, the possibility of him seeing one was rapidly increasing.

"O-Oreo," his friend stuttered as he looked at him, making him frown. "I'm starting to think this is a bad idea."

Oh no. Even Ace, the calm and collected Ace, was having doubts. Between the two of them, Ace was the pillar that he always counted on. In Oreo's mind, if his friend said something was not okay, that meant they were all going to die.

"Everything's going to be fine." Oreo patted his friend's shoulder awkwardly and grimaced. It was even hard for him to believe his own words.

"I don't feel secured hearing that from your mouth," Ace grunted in response.

"Hurting my feelings won't make all this disappear," Oreo gestured wildly at the entirety of the woman standing beside her.

Holding the document in her hand, a devious grin curved on Meili's lips. "Such a trivial task of submitting this piece of paper is something that anyone can do," she declared. "I will soon return. You, young lads, need not concern yourself."

She then began striding toward the entrance of the building while the two guys gawked at her.

"Wha—Meili, remember what to do in the elevator!" Oreo called out, but the witch just waved her hand dismissively.

"Don't put anything in your mouth unless you see someone eating it first!"

Meili continued walking steadily with purposeful strides.

"And don't kill anyone!"

As soon as the witch entered the building, her steps halted as she crossed her arms over her chest and surveyed the surroundings smugly, like a predator gloating at its prey.

*****

The Wooden Bridge gang already left, and one of Rose Petal's younger disciples informed Qian Ru of what she overheard when Da Xia talked to Fang. Her growing admiration for the warrior increased because of what she found out.

Rong Rong was beside Qian Ru when they saw the warrior approaching. Da Xia, on the other hand, was picking some flowers in a distance.

"Lady Qian Ru, thank you for all your help," Yong Jie said. "I apologize for decreasing your supplies."

"The food was something that you paid for," Qian Ru replied with a smile. "Hence, I still haven't shown you our gratitude for coming to our aid."

"I don't require anything in return, maiden."

Rong Rong cleared her throat and spoke with a knowing grin, "I heard you are traveling to North Mountain country. The world is small, and we might cross paths again." She then threw a meaningful gaze at Qian Ru. "The land of Rose Petal sect is near the capital."

"If we cross paths again, please don't be strangers, maidens," the warrior responded nonchalantly.

Qian Ru tucked her hair behind her ear as she cast her eyes downwards with a shy smile on her lips. She then untied the rectangular-shaped, smooth stone with a tassel at its bottom and with an engraving of Rose Petal sect's emblem hanging on her waistband.

"This is Rose Petal's guest sect token," she mumbled sheepishly as she presented it to Yong Jie. "Please accept this as our gratitude for your help earlier."

The warrior stared at the token and glanced tentatively at his maidservant who was still picking flowers.

"Many thanks for the honor," he said as he brought his gaze back to Qian Ru. "But I cannot accept that."

A hint of disappointment crossed the lady's eyes, which was immediately replaced by delight with Yong Jie's next words.

"Instead of the guest sect token, may the maiden bestow me your hair ornament instead?"

Rong Rong nudged the lady teasingly as the latter blushed. Asking for a maiden's possession was usually done by lovers. Surely, the warrior knew about this.

Qian Ru pulled the hair ornament from her half bun and handed it to the warrior, unable to look at him in the eyes. Yong Jie accepted it and ran his thumb on the beautiful piece of jewelry, a smile finally forming on his lips.

Rong Rong giggled and nudged the lady again, which made Qian Ru blush even more. Her trusted aide could sometimes be playful, but she knew she meant well.

"I wonder why the warrior wanted our lady's hair ornament," Rong Rong said in a sing-song voice.

Yong Jie stared at Rong Rong in mild puzzlement. Then, he replied in a casual manner as though it was something so obvious.

"Da Xia doesn't have one."

_________________________________________

⭐⭐Please click the VOTE button!⭐⭐

✔✔FOLLOW me here in WP!✔✔

_________________________________________

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

53.5K 1.5K 44
โ€Ÿ Power belongs to none , darling , only to those who take it ; and fortunately , I just happen to know my way about it." โ•”โ•โ•โ•*.ยท:ยท.โ˜ฝโœง โœฆ โœงโ˜พ...
67.7K 6.6K 60
" The darkness closed in around him, like a shroud of silence. Veeranshu's eyes fluttered open, and he was met with an unfamiliar ceiling. Groggily...
20.6K 386 21
Karl Heisenberg ร— Reader Y/n was kidnapped by mother Miranda and was brought to the village. After not having any use with y/n, she disposed her on t...
53.4K 2.8K 30
* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE, IT HAS BEEN COPIED/REPUBLISHED WITH...