Never Give Up

By AlwaysDramione

[SECOND INSTALMENT] This story continues on from 'I'll Fight For You - Fremione'. Amelia George Weasley, the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Sequel!

Chapter Twenty-Two

3.7K 131 44
By AlwaysDramione

Percy arrived that night after everyone had gone off to bed – Amelia had met him in the morning at breakfast and was glad that Percy hugged her with a smile on his face - with his very beautiful, in Amelia’s views, wife. Audrey Weasley greeted everyone with a smile on her face; even Fred and Hermione who hadn’t really seen her after Percy’s wedding. There was a dimple on the right side of her cheek and her blonde hair framed the side of her small face. She had light brown eyes that reminded Amelia of autumn for some reason. They also had two children who looked more like Audrey but still had the famous Weasley hair; Molly and Lucy. Molly, named after Mrs Weasley, was ten years old and very excited to be getting her Hogwarts acceptance letter next year. She also had a dimple on her cheek and was very happy to meet Amelia and the rest of the family. Lucy herself was seven and ‘absolutely adorable’ in Hermione’s opinion but she hid behind Percy’s legs. She was shy.

‘Hi,’ Dominique, Victoire’s younger sister who was sixteen years old, said and sat beside Amelia when they were having breakfast. Amelia thought this to be odd since Dominique hadn’t said a word to her yesterday.

‘Hey, Dominique,’ Amelia smiled none the less and noticed that she was really pretty. She had the straight Weasley red hair but her eyes were a brighter blue than Amelia’s and, of course, she was part Veela like her mother and sister.

‘So... James, Lily, Albus, Louis and I were thinking about playing a game of chess and seeing on who could win the most games after breakfast,’ Dominique said and poured herself some cereal. She glanced at Amelia with her eyes and Amelia noticed she wore eyeliner. She was pretty enough without make up, she thought but didn't say anything. Dominique coughed awkwardly, ‘we need one more player. Molly and Lucy were talking to Victoire, I think, and asking her if they could do her hair so they won’t play. So do you... do you want to...?’

‘What Dominique is trying to ask you,’ James appeared and managed to sit in between them on the bench that Mrs Weasley had fixed up with some magic. Dominique frowned as he climbed over and nearly sat on top of her. She moved to the left and he sat down, looking at Amelia, ‘is that do you want to play chess with us?’

‘Yeah, I think she understood me,’ Dominique said and kicked him when he tried to steal her orange juice. James frowned at her but she only turned back to Amelia, ‘so what do you say, Amelia? Want to play chess?’

‘With him? No thanks,’ Amelia said, glancing at James as she ate her breakfast. James turned the frown to her and narrowed his eyes. Dominique raised her perfectly trimmed eyebrows as if expecting an explanation, ‘he always beats me whenever we play in Hogwarts!’

‘He beats me too! We played in Hogwarts once as well,’ Dominique said. Amelia smiled politely as they bickered over their game of chess. She felt a bit left out since Dominique never said a word to her while they were in Hogwarts but she shoved that thought aside. They were talking to her now, weren’t they? ‘I’d love to play chess.’

‘I told you she would play chess,’ James said and linked arms with Amelia. He took this chance to steal some of her toast and ate it, talking with his mouth full, ‘she loves playing with me even if she won’t admit it.’

‘I hate you, James,’ Amelia said, looking at him with a serious expression but she could tell that he could see right through her. She took back the toast and glared at him, ‘get your own food!’

‘She loves me really,’ James said to Dominique who just rolled her eyes. Amelia scoffed as he got up and walked towards Charlie and Bill, starting a conversation with them. Dominique looked at Amelia curiously as though she was some sort of insect. Amelia blushed.

‘What?’ she asked.

‘You and James get on great. It’s like you’re twins,’ Dominique smiled, ‘it’s quite cute.’

‘Well, we’ve been together since birth and he’s been annoying me ever since!’ Amelia laughed.

‘Ron! I was wondering when you’d get here!’ Ginny was the first one to spot her brother, Ron. She shot out of her seat and was also the first to tackle Ron into a big hug.

Amelia looked up, grimacing slightly at the man that could have potentially tore apart her family. She had always loved Ron and his jokes even though he always kept his distance from her which Amelia know understood why. But now she wasn’t too fond of her Uncle Ron for many reasons. One of them being that he had been with her mother when she was with Fred. Amelia glanced at her parents and saw that Fred leaned into kiss her, she looked closer and saw he was whispering something into her ear which made Hermione turn bright red and giggle.

‘Kill me now,’ Amelia muttered as Hermione kissed Fred on his lips.

‘Sorry, did you say something?’ Dominique asked, looking up from the paper she was reading.

‘Nothing,’ Amelia shook her head.

‘Hey, Ginny,’ Ron hugged his sister and Albus came forwards, taking the bags of presents he carried. Ginny frowned at him and took the bags off of him before putting them under the Christmas tree. Ron captured everyone’s attention and they stared wide eyed when a girl walked in behind Ron. Amelia nearly dropped her spoon as the girl waved out her long blonde hair over her tight top and extremely tight jeans. Who was she? Ron took her hand, ‘this is Isabelle. Isabelle, this is my family. It’s fine if she spends a few days here with me, right?’

‘Well... I’m sure we could find a room,’ Mrs Weasley said, looking a little flustered as the girl  raised her eyebrows. Amelia crossed her legs under the table and looked down at her toast.

‘Grandma, I don’t think so,’ James interrupted. He counted off on his fingers as he listed the people sleeping in the rooms, ‘there are ten rooms. I’m sharing one with Albus and Louis. Amelia is sharing with Lily and Dom.’ (Dominique scowled at him at her nickname but James ignored her) ‘Molly and Lucy are sharing a room. Charlie has a room. Mum and Dad are in one room. Teddy and Victoire. Uncle Fred and Aunt Hermione. Uncle Bill and Aunt Fleur. Uncle Percy and Aunt Audrey. Last, but not least, Grandma and Grandpa are sharing. There are no more rooms.’

‘Well, we could grab a room in a hotel near by?’ Isabelle said, clinging onto Ron’s hand like a life line. Amelia watched her mum closely and frowned when she turned her back to them and started to eat once again.

‘No, no,’ Ron shook his head. He thought for a second and James crossed his arms over his chest, ‘I guess Lucy could sleep with Percy and Molly could share with Dominique and the girls?’

‘Not fair, Uncle Ron! I already have to share with Lily and Amelia! There’s hardly any breathing space!’ Dominique piped up, folding the newspaper in her elegant hands. She fixed him with a firm gaze, ‘tell Molly and Lucy to sleep in the living room!’

‘It’s scary at night!’ Lucy moaned.

They turned to look at seven year old Lucy, then back to Dominique to see if she had any more ideas. She shrugged and told everyone that she wouldn’t share a room with more than two people. Percy sighed and tried to control Lucy as she moaned about the dark.

‘Should we just take Amelia home?’ Hermione whispered into Fred’s ear. He shook his head firmly but he did not say anything else to her. Amelia looked at her parents then to Ron who was rolling his eyes at Lucy’s moans.

‘I’m sure Albus and Louis and I could set up camp in the living room and you could take our bed?’ James said, trying to be helpful. Ron nodded and turned to Mrs Weasley for confirmation. James smirked, ‘it’s on the top floor though. Just under the ghoul so I don’t know if you’ll like it.’

‘I’ll take anything I can at this moment,’ Isabelle sighed and grabbed her bags. Ron took his bags and carried them up the stairs as his pretty new girlfriend followed him.

There was an awkward silence for a second before everybody decided to go back to eating the breakfast that Mrs Weasley had so lovingly prepared. Dominique was looking like she was in a bad mood and when Albus asked if they were going to play chess, she snapped at him which he took for a clear and definite ‘no!’

‘How about we play Quidditch instead?’ Albus shrugged. Dominique’s eyebrows raised and James came over to sit next to Amelia. He sighed as Albus said, ‘come on! We can go in teams if we get others to play!’

‘I’m all for it,’ James said.

‘Me too!’ Lily said, coming up  behind them.

‘Me three!’ Louis grinned.

‘Me four!’ Amelia and Dominique said at the same time and burst out laughing.

After a few minutes of laughing, they calmed down when the adults told them to quiet down. Hermione smiled at Fred when they saw that Amelia was the one laughing and finally fitting in with her cousins. They all walked outside with their brooms holstered on their shoulders. James and Amelia did a spell, since they were seventeen they could do magic, and the snow cleared up for a pitch.

‘Seeing as how Amelia and I are the oldest,’ James said, flinging an arm over Amelia which she shrugged off. He smiled, ‘we get to pick the teams and be team captains.’

‘No... No...’ Amelia held up her hands in surrender. She shook her head, her curls bouncing a little. Amelia looked to Dominique, ‘she can be team captain... I don’t think I want-’

‘No, Amelia, you’re team captain!’ James said and grazed his eyes over his cousins and siblings who were standing in front of him; Dominique, Lily, Albus, Louis, Molly and even Lucy who wasn’t as skilled but could still score. He crossed his arms over his chest and thought hard before saying, ‘Albus, I pick you.’

‘Um... I pick Dominique,’ Amelia smiled as Dominique gave her a high five. Lily pouted at her brother and then at her cousin, wanting to be picked.

‘Urgh, fine. Lily, I pick you. Just stay out of my way,’ James said and Lily’s mouth turned up into a smile as she hugged James.

‘Louis!’ Amelia picked and he ran over to them.

‘Molly and you can have Lucy. Good luck with her!’ James sneered at them and huddled into a group, telling everyone what to do.

They started to get ready and James bought out the balls as they mounted their brooms. Amelia marked two trees, which were conveniently placed together at each side of the pitch, as goalposts. They got into position and she looked over at them grinning at each other. Amelia and James are the seekers; Dominique and Albus are chasers; Lucy and Molly are keepers; and Lily and Louis are beaters.

Soon they got started and Amelia zoomed up above them, looking for the snitch that had been let go a minute before. She watched as Dominique cheered after scoring a goal and James raised his eyebrows at Molly who ignored him. Amelia laughed and cheered with Dominique. The game continued on for an hour and even though it was cold, they were still having fun. Even though Amelia nearly got hit by a bludger, she was still zooming about looking for the snitch.

‘Do you think I’ve forgotten?’ James asked, hovering next to her in his broom that looked incredibly expensive. Amelia frowned at him but didn't answer back; this was probably just a tactic to distract her. James leaned over and moved her curls so that he could see her face.

‘Okay, I’ll bite! What are you talking about?’ Amelia asked turning to him but turning straight back when Albus scored, ‘come on, Dominique!’

‘I’m trying, Amelia!’ she shouted back, zooming on her broom as fast as she could, ‘find the snitch! We don’t want to give James the boasting rights!’

‘Never!’ Amelia shouted back and grinned. She turned to James who was watching her closely with his eyes that she were so familiar to Amelia. She blushed crimson and looked away, ‘why are you looking at me like that?’

‘Amelia, remember when we were coming home on the Hogwarts express?’ James asked, talking slowly. He hovered closer to Amelia and she frowned at him, knowing what he was talking about, ‘and you wanted to tell me something? What was it?’

Amelia thought of Scorpius and how she hadn’t even told James about him yet. She truly loved Scorpius but she didn't know if she could handle James’ anger just yet. There was no doubt he would get angry at her and say that what she was doing was ‘wrong’ and she was tainting their families name. She stared into his eyes and sighed, her breath was visible in the cold.

‘You’re my cousin but before that, James, you are my best friend,’ Amelia said, playing with her hair as she watched Dominique try to score.

‘Then tell me what’s worrying you? I want to help, Amelia,’ James muttered, his eyes never leaving her face. He could read her like a book but not when she was stubborn like this. Usually she wasn’t stubborn and had no problem telling him what was on her mind.

‘I can’t... not yet,’ Amelia shook her head and turned to look at him. She pleaded with her blue shining eyes and James looked at her angrily, ‘just give me some time, okay?’

‘I’ve gave you time. I didn’t question you about it until now but I know something’s wrong, Amelia, don’t lie to me. Even yesterday night when we were talking you-’

‘AMELIA, THE SNITCH!’ Dominique shouted and pointed to the left of where she was hovering.

Amelia glanced at James who looked at her with a glare; one that said to not fly away from him just yet. She shrugged and said, ‘we’re playing a game, James,’ before taking off in the direction of the snitch. James was hot on her heels and soon caught up to her so that they were leaning over their brooms, side by side, and stretching out their hands to catch the snitch. The wind blew Amelia’s curls behind her head as she saw the snitch move down and they both tilted their brooms down so that they were pointing to the ground.

‘Careful!’ yelled James but he didn't pull up either.

They both raced to the ground as the famous snitch hovered restlessly in the air with it’s wings spread out, looking like an angel. They got closer and closer to the ground until... Amelia and James rolled on the cold and dead grass, feeling rocks bump into their arms as they did so. The others exchanged glances and then quickly joined them to the ground as Amelia lay beside James.

‘You... alright?’ James asked, groaned as he held his back.

‘Yeah...’ Amelia groaned too but then a smile lit up her face as she held up her hand with the fluttering snitch snuggling into it, ‘WE WIN!’

‘Yes!’ Dominique whooped and helped Amelia up before hugging her. Her whole team tackled her so that they tumbled to the ground again in happiness. James stood up and shrugged.

‘Oh, well, I wasn’t really paying attention,’ he said before walking off with his broom over his shoulder. Amelia bit her lip, his bad mood wasn’t just because he lost and she knew that.

‘He’s such a sore loser,’ Lily smiled and hugged Amelia.

Amelia, feeling tired after falling off her broom and having James being knocked into her, walked up to the Burrow that seemed to be her favourite place to be at Christmas at the moment. This was a lot better than spending Christmas with just her parents even though she loved them. Dominique linked arms with her and that just added fuel to her fire of happiness.

‘Are they... shouting?’ Louis asked as they heard raised voices from inside the Burrow. Amelia shrugged and they walked on.

---

James walked into the house with his broom on his shoulder. When had been the last time he had been angry at Amelia? He couldn’t even remember since they always joked and got on well enough even though they mocked each other. He really liked Amelia and was glad that they were so close and best friends before cousins. He just wished she would trust him! What could possibly be so bad that she couldn't tell him? It wasn’t like she was sleeping with a Malfoy! James didn't know this but he was very close to the truth.

There was a crack in the living room like someone had apparated in there. James paused at the foot of the stairs when Teddy came out of the kitchen and saw him. They regarded each other for a second and then Teddy frowned.

‘Are they here?’ he asked. His hair was a normal brown colour and James didn't have to know the reason, he could probably guess. Victoire liked brown haired guys. James chuckled at the thought of Teddy and Victoire together. Teddy frowned at him, ‘what are you laughing at?’

‘Nothing,’ James chuckled again and then shook his head, ‘are who here?’

And that was when Draco Malfoy and Scorpius Malfoy walked out of the living room where they had just apparated in and greeted Teddy. James let his broom fall to the floor next to him as he frowned when Teddy shook hands with whom he considered to be the enemy; Draco Malfoy.

‘I meant to tell you to meet me for lunch, sorry. It completely slipped my mint until I heard you apparate in,’ Teddy said to Draco and looked behind him as someone asked who was there. This was not going to go well, James thought with his eyebrows raised.

‘About that, I don’t think we can make lunch. I just came to congratulate you on your engagement and,’ Draco raised his eyebrows as Ginny, Harry, Fred and Hermione came out to see who was here. He looked back to Teddy, ‘we’ll be at the engagement party.’

‘What?’ James asked.

‘You invited HIM?’ Fred roared.

‘There’s dirt all over the house!’ Ginny yelled as she looked at Draco and then at the dirt that was indeed dripping off of James’ broom, ‘take that upstairs!’

‘Fred,’ Teddy said, looking a little uncomfortable but relieved that none of the other family came out. They were probably talking about Christmas preparations. Teddy sighed, ‘Mr Malfoy’s helped me a lot throughout the last year with work so I don’t see why I can’t invite him to my engagement.’

Fred looked at Harry with an outrageous expression. James frowned; why was Fred looking at Harry? What could his father do about this? He watched as Harry shook his head and said, ‘this is Teddy’s decision. He’s legally not my son, even if I treat him better than my son, so I can’t stop him. See you, Malfoy.’

Harry leaned over and stretched out his hand. James glared at his father, he was hoping for a showdown of some sort and did not expect this. Draco shook his hand, ‘glad we can agree on this, Potter.’

‘Scorpius?’ Amelia and the rest of the Weasley/Potter clan trotted in behind her. Amelia left her broom outside like everyone else and now she walked into the room with her muddy shoes on.

‘All of you take your shoes off and go upstairs!’ Ginny said after they started to goggle at Draco and Scorpius. Ginny growled, ‘now!’

They all took their shoes off but there was so much mud in the house that Ginny muttered something about how it wasn’t this messy when she lived here with her brothers. They took no notice of her until she told them to go upstairs once more; yelled is more accurate. They all went except for James, Amelia and Dominique.

‘What are you doing here?’ asked Amelia in a small voice, her mind thinking of the worst possible scenes this could end in.

‘Amelia, go upstairs,’ Hermione said, clutching Fred’s arm as she did so. Amelia’s blue eyes turned to her Mum and they shared a look that only both of them, Fred, Draco and Scorpius understood. Hermione put on her best ‘Mum’ face she could, ‘they’re here to talk about Teddy’s engagement, now go... upstairs... NOW.’

‘Tell them to go upstairs. At least I know Scorpius,’ Amelia crossed her arms over her chest and looked at Scorpius who smiled at her but shook his head infinitesimally, ‘tell James to leave, not me.’

‘Fred tell her,’ Hermione said quietly but Fred didn't open his mouth. Instead he turned to Draco who chuckled under his breath. Hermione glared at him, ‘have you got something to add, Malfoy?’

 ‘No, I just find it funny that... you hand the job of discipline to him,’ Draco nodded his head to Fred who narrowed his eyes. Draco then lowered his voice, ‘you’ve changed more than I thought. What happened to the stubborn, bossy, know-it-all that I went to Hogwarts with?’

‘She got married and became a mother. That’s what happened,’ Hermione retorted back, ‘you have no right being here. Now, get out!’

‘Can I talk to you alone, Draco?’ Teddy asked, frowning at Hermione. He walked forwards and Draco shrugged.

‘Stay here, son. I’ll be back soon,’ Draco said to Scorpius, resting a hand on his shoulder that he shrugged off. Scorpius stared at Amelia and didn't even glance at his father as Draco and Teddy left through the back door.

‘Tell my father I’ll be back at the house, will you?’ Scorpius asked, taking a step backwards. Amelia shook her head and took a step towards him.

‘Your father told you to stay here,’ she muttered as Fred winced when Hermione dug her nails into his arm.

‘I’m not very welcome, am I?’ he asked and looked around at everyone staring at him.

She looked at James who was taking a step forwards so that he was in line with Amelia, Fred and Hermione were glaring at Scorpius like he was dirt. Amelia wanted to reach out and take his hand but she really thought Fred might explode the vein on his forehead.

‘I don’t think your father will be too happy to see you gone,’ she said and played with her hair nervously. She shrugged, ‘you’re not that bad, nor is your father. They can’t see that, sorry for their behalf.’

‘Amelia,’ Fred said and Amelia turned around immediately. She had never heard her father talk in that tone of voice... well, not to her anyway. He talked like that to Mr Weasley but never to Amelia. She widened her eyes as Fred glared at her, ‘get away from him. Go upstairs.’

‘Dad...’ Amelia whispered, her defence falling like rocks against her father. She could argue with her mother but never with Fred; he loved her and treated her like royalty. She never fought with him until this day.

‘I’m being serious, Amelia. Get away from him,’ Fred muttered. Hermione gripped his arm in a tight, death like grip.

‘Dad...’ Amelia repeated and the anger and betrayal she saw in his eyes made her knees weak. She turned to James for help who was frowning at her and seemed to guess the relationship between them without Amelia saying a word. Finally Amelia felt Scorpius’ hand close around hers and she looked into his eyes. She read the message loud and clear; he didn't even have to open his mouth. Before she could say anything, James muttered.

‘Don’t you dare ruin the first Christmas where nearly everyone has been happy to see you,’ he said.

Amelia wavered a little in her decision but Scorpius’ hand in hers seemed to feel so right, like a jigsaw puzzle was complete. She looked into the dark grey eyes and Scorpius could see her fear. He was about to pull back but she gripped onto him.

‘I’m sorry, James,’ Amelia muttered and then turned to her father  with a tear streaming down her face, ‘I thought you’d want what I wanted, Dad? I guess not. I’m sorry.’

There was no more words to be said as Scorpius and Amelia spun on the spot and disapparated in front of their watchful eyes. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.2K 1.2K 25
It's been one year since Hermione had lost Ron. She's growing tired of friends and family treating her as if she could break at any second. All she w...
4.4K 175 12
What if Ginny wasn't Molly and Arthur's only daughter? What if Draco was sorted into Gryffindor and not Slytherin? Y/N Minerva Weasley always knew sh...
728 30 21
Amely is a secret twin of Harry Potter. She's been living in America since the accident. And only two people knew, and that would be Albus and Hagrid...
119K 2.3K 20
What if Ron had a twin sister? But alike in some ways but not many. She is sorted into Slytherin not Gryffindor. Her parents we ashamed a Weasley in...