Off-Screen

By -hexed

EXTRA CHAPTERS FROM 'THE OPULENCE SERIES' The Opulence Series; ♛ Opulent Glory (1) ✔ ♡ Gilded Butterflies (2... More

IMPORTANT-PLEASE READ
OG| Dear Nora,
OG| Dear Spencer,
OG| When We Were Younger
OG| No Angel
GB| Nora's Comeback
TKOM| Announcements
TKOM| Amelie's Ever After
TKOM| Blake's Aftermath
♛ bits&bobs from readers ♛

BF | Golf

200 7 0
By -hexed

timeline: a few weeks after the final chapter (not the epilogue) of 'Best Fiends' (so don't read this extra if you haven't read Best Fiends!)

♢ ♢ ♢

"Let's go golfing."

  Charlie looked up curiously at Oliver as he entered the apartment. His curiosity was further fuelled by the huge bag in Oliver's arms.

  "What's in the bag?"

  "Just groceries," Oliver sighed, throwing the brown paper bag onto the table.

  "You bought groceries for my apartment?"

  "Well, when I left this morning I finished the milk. Plus you only had granola and I was in the mood for Froot Loops. I also got some Thin Mints because the girl scouts outside the supermarket were so cute."

  "Are they vegan?"

  Oliver kicked off his work brogues and loosened his tie. "Of course. So, as I was saying before, how do you feel about going golfing?"

  "Golfing?"

  Oliver nodded and plopped down beside Charlie on the sofa, raising his legs onto the table in front of them.

  "Golfing," He reaffirmed.

  "Uh... why?"

  "Have you ever been?"

  "I've been many times and that's why I'm asking why we would ever willingly go golfing. It's an old man's sport. Plus, I suck."

  Oliver shrugged. "I love golfing. And, it's my dad who suggested we go. He wants to meet you."

  Charlie's eyebrow cocked upwards. "I've met your dad on multiple occasions."

  "Yes but not as my boyfriend."

  Charlie put down his phone and faced Oliver, who had a pleading smile on his face.

  "Oh."

  His father had suggested it over lunch at work. Well, it didn't really count as lunch because they had to spend the entire hour going over charts as their food went cold. Still, he was grateful that his father was finally beginning to give him bigger responsibilities while also ensuring that they were within his capabilities. Ever since he went sober, the two of them had gotten closer and Oliver couldn't have been happier.

  Ed Scott wanted to re-meet Charlie , probably because the last time he had interacted with him was when Charlie was a teenager and, as everyone knew, Charlie was a douchebag as a teenager. He was a bit too free-spirited and didn't care about anyone but himself. Thankfully, his personality had drastically changed since then but Ed Scott needed to see it to believe it.

Oliver laced his fingers with his boyfriend's. "This Saturday."

  "Should I be nervous?"

  "No," Oliver scoffed. "It's my dad."

  "Ed Scott can be very intimidating! Remember when he caught me, you and Spencer smoking?"

  "To be fair, I was only thirteen so he had every right to freak out."

Charlie groaned, flopping his head back on the sofa. "Why can't we do something fun? Like polo or squash!"

"My dad's allergic to horses! And squash is the worst!"

"Golf is the worst!"

  "Please...."

  Oliver slipped his fingers under Charlie's chin and made him look into his eyes. "It would mean a lot if my dad could meet you. Again."

  Bending his neck downwards slightly, Charlie placed a chaste kiss on Oliver's hand and sighed. "Fine."

  He hated golfing but the sight of Oliver's smile made him shift opinions. He loved Oliver's smile.

♢ ♢ ♢

"You and golf attire are a match made in heaven," Oliver joked as Charlie met him outside the golf club.

He was clad in 'Tyler the Creator-esque' shorts and a very tight polo shirt and Oliver loved the colourful fit. He felt self-conscious standing beside his boyfriend, wearing a very plain trousers and sweater-vest-t-shirt combo.

"Is your dad here yet?"

  "He's inside but he ran into some of his Harvard friends so they're just catching up. Do you want to practise before he comes?"

  "Only if you do that thing where you put your arms around me and teach me how to swing."

  "Huh."

  "Like Troy and Sharpay in 'High School Musical 2'."

  "Ohh. But you know how to golf, Charlie."

  "So did Sharpay. I just want you to hold me."

  Oliver laughed before grabbing Charlie's polo shirt and pulling him towards him.

  Charlie tasted like sour apple gummies.  The gourmet and vegan kind that could only be found in one shop in Manhattan. A small, independent candyland with clouds of candyfloss and hershey's kisses showering the store. Charlie forced Oliver to dedicate an entire food shelf in his kitchen to the gummies and so Oliver always made sure he was stocked up.

  Oliver had to use his golf club bag for balance as he quickly became lightheaded.

  "I think I'm obsessed with the way your lips feel on mine."

  "Really?"

  Charlie sighed and nodded, resting his head on Oliver's. "I just want to kiss you all day everyday."

  "Everyday?"

"Everyday."

  From the corner of his eye, Oliver could see a few old men scrunch their wrinkled noses as they kissed in front of the golf club (which was basically 'Straight-White-Male-Central') but he paid them no attention. Most reactions had been surprisingly positive over their relationship. Both their families had taken it well despite the initial shock. No one at Oliver's work really cared. All positive reactions. Well, except from the tabloids. The media was going wild over how Nora Lawrence's ex-boyfriend, the heir of Scott Corps, was now dating a man (as if bisexuality wasn't a thing) and that the man happened to be Spencer Kingsley's brother. The headlines were nauseatingly sensationalist ('OLIVER CHEATS ON NORA WITH A MAN?! MORE ON PAGE FIVE') but the world cared more about Nora so he was quickly forgotten as the tabloids focused more on her other endeavours.

  He wondered how Nora was doing. He once googled her and found out that she had been busy doing charity work all over the world as well as continuing her physics degree. He wished he could tell her how proud of her he was. But he didn't get that privilege.

  "Boys! Are you ready to golf?" Ed Scott boomed, rolling next to them in a pale blue golf cart.

  "Hello, Mr Scott," Charlie said formally, straightening his back and extending his arm towards him.

  Oliver snickered at how serious he was being, only to be elbowed by his other arm.

  Ed Scott smiled and shook his hand. " Charlie! It's been a while since I've seen you."

  "You'll be seeing a lot more of him now," Oliver chirped, throwing his arm around Charlie's shoulders.

  Ed Scott smiled in the typical Ed Scott manner; strained but full of love.

  "Let's get golfing, shall we?"

  Oliver and Charlie took their own cart to the course, following Ed and the caddie.

  "Ol, this isn't a Ferrari. Slow down!" 

  Oliver grinned and continued zooming down a hill, relying on gravity and vectors instead of the limited force of the weak engine. "I raced in a rally in Monaco last year and came in fourth place with very limited experience. I think I know how to drive."

   They pulled up to their first site and found Ed Scott and the caddie waiting for them.

  "You ready?"

  Charlie pushed his sunglasses down from his head. "I'm never ready for golf.  Let's go."

♢ ♢ ♢

"I told you I suck!"

"I know, Charlie, but I didn't think you sucked that bad."

  Charlie's face twisted in disappointment as he looked at the scores etched onto the small white page, particularly how terribly high his score was.

  "I wanted to impress your dad but..."

  Ed Scott had tears in his eyes from laughing at Charlie by the time they reached the final hole. He was out of earshot putting away his clubs so he couldn't hear Charlie grumbling.

  Oliver's mouth widened even further in a burst of laughter. "I really don't think he cares about your golfing abilities. He just wanted to meet you again."

  Ed Scott came up to him before Charlie could moan and groan any further.

  "There's a table waiting for us in the golf club restaurant. I take it you both are hungry?"

  "Starving."

  Ed turned to Charlie. "What about you?"

  "Yeah, I-uh- I can do lunch."

  "Great. I'll meet you two there."

Ed nodded at them before returning to his cart.

  "I can do lunch," Charlie groaned, mocking himself. "Ugh why am I like this?"

   "You said nothing wrong!"

  "Whatever.."

  Just as Charlie began to make his way to their cart, he felt Oliver's hand reach out to hold him back. 

  "Hold on."

  Charlie stopped and turned back to Oliver. "You okay?"

  Oliver smiled and grabbed a club from the grass. He positioned himself behind Charlie, wrapping his arms around his back. "So, you hold the club like this..."

  He placed the club into Charlie's hands and interlinked their fingers before placing a soft kiss on the back of his neck.

  "Then you swing back like this,"He whispered, pulling Charlie's arms backwards. "Then..."

  Charlie swung forward and knocked the ball somewhere far. It looked like it hit a lake.

  "And that's how you golf."

  "Never let me go," Charlie said half-jokingly.

  Oliver squeezed him tightly, burying his face in the nook of his neck. He would never want to let him go.

"We should move in together."

Charlie whipped around to face him. "What?"

"Let's move in together."

Charlie looked shocked but Oliver wasn't nervous. He knew what Charlie was going to say.

"A-are you sure? Moving in together is a huge step-"

"We basically live together anyway. You always stay at mine."

"But-"

"It's okay if you don't think we're ready. I'll wait. I just wanted to put that thought out there. I want to wake up next to you everyday."

Charlie smiled that beautiful smile of his and kissed Oliver. "I want that too."

  "Really?"

  "Yes!"

  "Then it's settled. We're moving in together."

  "Which apartment will we live in?"

  "Charlie, I live in a penthouse overlooking Manhattan. You live in a fifth floor apartment with brick walls."

    "My place is better furnished."

  "My place has a swimming pool."

  "My place is historically preserved."

  "My place has valet."

  Charlie paused. "Valet?"

  "Yup."

  He pursed his lips. "Fine."

   He didn't know why it took him so long to realise it. But that was the moment Oliver realised he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Charlie. That didn't mean he wanted to propose or anything (he now considered himself allergic to the concept of marriage after having to sign annulment papers) but it meant that Oliver envisioned them growing old together and the thought brought him nothing but joy and exaltation.

  "My heart is yours..." He told Charlie as he pulled him in for a hug.

  Charlie paused for a moment, perhaps slightly surprised by how tightly Oliver was hugging him, but quickly hugged him back, placing soft kisses on his shoulder.

  "And mine yours."

♢ ♢ ♢

I decided to procrastinate by writing this cute little extra.

Alsooo guys I really want to get my readership up so if you can I'd really appreciate you spreading the word about my books. It would mean a lot to me. Tell your friends, post on your message boards, comment and/or vote- do what you can! I'd really appreciate it!

  Much love,
-hexed

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.1K 1.2K 9
DISCRETION SERIES - BOOK 4 (spin-off) " Here you are, gentlemen. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you " God, her voice sounds like s...
56K 1.8K 19
[Book 1]✓ 18+ Audience. Mature Themes. Kind, honest,humble, sweet, polite and absolutely beautiful. Hard faced, sometimes scary, but a good father. T...
4.1K 142 14
- 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.. 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨...
190K 12.2K 50
Vision of Love Book 2 *read book 1 before this* You're special to me. You're the only one who I wouldn't mind losing sleep for, the only one who I ca...