The downfall of Viscount Brid...

By VRiviera

THE ORIGINAL BRIDGERTON FANFICTION Aurora Grey, only daughter of Earl Grey and new closest friend to Daphne B... More

Casting
Chapter one - an arrival
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four - the first meeting
chapter five - a disagreement
chapter six - lady Danbury
chapter seven - the Cowper ball
chapter eight - uncertain feelings
chapter nine - an invitation to dinner
chapter ten - a proposal
chapter eleven - a response
chapter twelve - the grand picnic
chapter thirteen - afternoon tea
chapter fourteen - an arrival
chapter fifteen - a conversation
chapter sixteen - brothers
chapter seventeen - the Basset Ball
chapter eighteen - a proposal of a different kind
chapter nineteen - an explanation
chapter twenty - telling Aurora
chapter twenty one - a hug from Simon
chapter twenty two - news spreads
chapter twenty three - a night to regret
Lady Whistledown's Society Paper
chapter twenty four - the morning after
chapter twenty five - early wedding plans
chapter twenty six - learning to love
chapter twenty seven - the Lucas' ball
Lady Whistledown's Society Paper
chapter twenty eight - a meeting with the Queen
chapter twenty nine - a new friend
chapter thirty - maternal guidance
chapter thirty one - getting to know each other
chapter thirty two - a quarrel between rakes
chapter thirty three - Reginald
chapter thirty four - nerves
chapter thirty five - getting ready
chapter thirty six - the wedding
chapter thirty seven - the reception
chapter thirty eight - Daphne explains
chapter thirty nine - the beginning of a honeymoon
chapter forty - the wedding night
chapter forty one - a not so romantic honeymoon
chapter forty two - the same bed
chapter forty three - waking up
chapter forty four - spilling secrets
a letter from Julius
chapter forty five - a proper kiss
chapter forty six - returning home
chapter forty seven - falling asleep in the arms of a Bridgerton
chapter forty eight - a dawning realisation
chapter forty nine - a secret society
chapter fifty
chapter fifty one - slip of the tongue
chapter fifty two - a promenade
chapter fifty three - the society's first meeting
chapter fifty four - an explanation
chapter fifty five - a boxing match
chapter fifty seven - match makers
chapter fifty eight - paying a visit
chapter fifty nine - Anthony joins the club
chapter sixty - introductions
chapter sixty one - Doctor Lumet
chapter sixty two - with child
Epilogue

chapter fifty six - a resolution

17.5K 600 311
By VRiviera

Aurora was pacing back and forth across Anthony’s study when the duo returned to the house, a look of immense frustration on her features as she muttered out example explanations she might offer him.

When the door burst open she halted and nearly jumped in fright as the Duke and the Viscount entered the room.

“I have heard a ridiculous story from your husband and now I’d like to her the truth from you, Aurora?” He asked her.

Anthony was now stood a little behind him and the two came across like snakes ready to interrogate their pray. This did not help the situation.

“I didn’t do anything I swear-“ she started but was promptly cut off again by Hastings.

“Start at the beginning, but first... take a seat,” he gestured to the armchair by the fireplace and waited for her to sit down before he continued, “why was he here?”

Aurora glanced at Anthony who was still hovering by the entrance. Simon, however, had now seated himself on the armchair opposite her own.

With a deep breath, Aurora began telling them the truth. She was furious that she had to do so and was also greatly upset at the prospect of the society which had so excited her begin shut down.

“He was helping me tutor a group of young women,” she whispered.

“Pardon?” Asked Anthony as he made his way closer so that he might be able to hear.

“I said he was helping me tutor a group of young women. I had set up a society for female members of the ton who were interested in pursuing their education. We were to meet up four times a week here. Your sister was one of them, and Penelope Featherington too. There were around twenty in total, although I had hoped to expand it further.”

She muttered the last phrase for fear that it would further anger the Viscount.

“He was teaching them science. I would have done it myself only I hardly know anything of the subject. The only reason why he was still here when you arrived was because he was congratulating me.” She broke into a sob, devastated at how the whole affair had turned out.

All Aurora Bridgerton had wanted was the chance to educate women.

Simon breathed out a heavy sigh and flickered his gaze upward to look at Anthony who currently had a particularly embarrassed expression on his face.

“I - er - if that is true then I am sorry,” he muttered.

“No it is my fault. I will stop the meetings at once, I am sorry to have embarrassed you in such a way, my lord,”

She rose to her feet and made for the door that she might escape before she completely broke down.

But she was stopped by a hand clasping gently around her wrist. It was loose enough that she could escape if she wanted to

Except she didn’t want to.

So she let the hand pull her into her husband’s chest as she cried.

“You will do nothing of the sort, my love,” he whispered gently in an attempt to calm her emotions. Seeing his wife looking so... vulnerable made his heart clench - especially at the thought that it was he who had cause this pain.

“Not that you need my permission, but I would like for you to continue this endeavour of yours.”

It took a moment for his words to register with her, but once they did she snapped her gaze so it locked with his.

“You won’t try and stop me?”

He chuckled darkly, “I don’t think I could stop you if I tried. Besides, I cannot think of a more worthy cause for you to dedicate your time to. And I’m sure Eloise was thrilled at your invitation.”

“Yes, she was,” Aurora replied as she gave him a small smile. 

Seeing some kind of happiness return to her made Anthony’s heart feel a little less pained.

He leant down and placed a tender kiss on the tip of her nose, earning him a quiet chuckle from her.

“I wonder... is there any way I could help? To make up for my behaviour before. I understand if you wish to punish me and never speak to me again however I’d prefer it enormously if you didn’t.”

The viscountess pretended to think over his question, but then a thought came to her. A Eureka moment, if you will.

“You studied mathematics at Oxford did you not?” She asked him eagerly.

“Yes?”

“How would you feel about teaching us it? I’m not sure anyone would be particularly fond of you - only there aren’t many of us who are genuinely interested. But we need a solid understanding to progress to more advanced scientific studies.”

“For you, Aurora, I will do anything.”

“Except listen to me when I try to explain that I’m not having an affair with my best friends’ cousin,” she replied cheekily.

He only shook his head in response, although a small smile crept onto his face.

They fell into silence for a moment and Simon, who had previously found himself rather interested in Anthony’s book collection, now returned his gaze to the couple.

He had hated the thought of them marrying at first, after all, Aurora was closer to him than any of his own family and he despised the thought of her ending up with such a rake. Alas, it would seem he had been wrong.

Anthony was quite in love. And it had changed him for the better.

“So you haven’t been having an affair with Harding then?”

She struggled to suppress a giggle at the viscount’s stupidity.

“No. I would never, believe it or not I don’t find your company quite so intolerable as it once was?”

Anthony raised an eyebrow as he took a step towards her. He was now towering over Aurora, but something about it felt... gentle.

“Is that so? Well I suppose you are slightly less wild than I had thought you to be,” he whispered as the two subconsciously moved even closer to each other.

Simon let out a grimace at the display of romance.

“Or perhaps you have grown fond of it?” Aurora flirted back, a little surprised at herself for doing so - his display of emotion earlier seemed to have awakened something within her.

“I dare say I have.”

“I’m going to leave now,” declared Simon who had never felt quite so uncomfortable in his entire life. Surely he and Daphne weren’t half so sappy as this pair?

He received no reply.

In fact he was quite ignored, as Anthony closed the gap between himself and Aurora. What began as a soft, genteel kiss quickly turned into something much more intense and Simon found himself covering his eyes as he made for the exit.

He had barely left the room before Anthony picked up his wife and carried her across the room before placing her on the edge of his desk. From here their actions only got worse.

Having spent the day fretting over the thought of Aurora engaging in... relations with another man, the viscount was now overcome with passion and affection for her.

He had known for some time now that he loved her, but now - now he knew for certain that he was undoubtedly in love with her.

This goddess was more than he could ever have dreamed of having in a wife.

She was handsome of course, but that was hardly her most impressive feature. She was simply exceptional to him!

“I want to have a child with you,” he whispered as he broke their kiss, “in fact... I want to have at least ten.”

“Ten?!” Aurora cried out before kissing him again. She broke free after a moment to express her thoughts on the subject, “I think ten is rather a few too many don’t you- oooh.”

“We can talk about it later,” he declared as he pulled her in to him and trailed kisses down her neck.

****

Dear readers,

I do not think I’ve ever written something so awkward in my life! I had to cut it off there because I feared if I did not I may have to take a trip to church to ask for some holy water.

At least they’ve finally declared their love for each other... and who knows, maybe we’ll see a baby Antoura soon?

Update on me; my exam went pleasantly well and I actually finished all the essays to time. Plus, I tried a mangosteen for the first time today - verdict: I highly recommend.

Yours truly

Exotic fruit expert,

V Riviera

P.S. If I were to hypothetically write a Golden Trio Era HP story, who would you want it to be about?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 51 13
England, 1814. Edwina Sharma was not the final choice at this year's season. Rumours and bad voices lead her to Queen Charlotte, who offers her a dar...
40 2 1
Johanna Grey is eighteen, the oldest daughter of John Grey and Alexandra Hathaway, and is about to embark on her first London season, although she ca...
3.9K 227 6
All Is Fair In Love And War. Lord Anthony Bridgerton, the formidable head of the Bridgerton family, sets forth on a quest to secure a worthy spouse...
38.4K 1K 17
π·π‘’π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘ π‘‘ π‘…π‘’π‘Žπ‘‘π‘’π‘Ÿπ‘ οΌŒ I have been sharping my quills in preparation for this years social season; which I ensure will be filled with as much...