peak of interest • benedict b...

By laurenfrances

"you have no idea what it is like to be in a room with someone you cannot live without, and yet still feel as... More

cast
one • prima ballerina
two • these are a few of my favorite things
three • the ballet girl?
four • meant for something more
five • something's coming
six • sweet liberty
seven • secret soul
eight • forgiveness
nine • as good as you
ten • the pledge
eleven • sirens
twelve • things beyond this earth
thirteen • painting her portrait
fourteen • you, a favorite of mr. bridgerton?
fifteen • a tribute to beauty
seventeen • dear lady
eighteen • fresh on my skin
nineteen • slip of a girl
twenty • rain
twenty-one • reprise

sixteen • in the light of the virgin morning

6.9K 212 16
By laurenfrances

•••
"when I am his,

i'll be the star in his night.

and I will shine as a bride by his side."
•••

July, 1813

The bright sun had exposed itself through the window of the guest room, alerting the girl it was time to wake up.

Benedict had retreated to his corners after regaining his strength from their previous endeavors- and frankly, Sevyn was still enthralled, thinking of the events that had taken place. She never expected that that was what it was like.

For the first time, she felt like a woman, not a child. 

"Miss Granville?" Quickly covering her exposed chest with the sheet, Rose interrupted her thoughts with a gentle knock on the door. "Lady Bridgerton requests your presence."

"I will be up in a moment." She heard the woman's soft patters away, reclaiming her nightdress and robe. Today, he best friend was to be married. A grand soirée, indeed.

Sevyn could feel Daphne's aura from down the hall, seeing her clad up in her white gown. She was truly a sight to behold.

Covering her mouth, Sevyn could feel tears welling up in her eyes, examining her friends appearance. "Daph..." the girl smiled to her, "a diamond, indeed."

Before she could consider her surroundings, she found herself in the Bridgerton Chapel, accompanying the Dowager Viscountess, and soon sitting beside the Viscount, himself. Expected to create quite the... uncomfortable atmosphere.

Behind the girl sat Benedict Bridgerton, a light blush erupting on his cheeks from the view of the woman, who sat one pew in front of him.

He thought she looked remarkable.

Clad in a light pink gown, which resembled Daphne's dress from the Danbury ball, he could not seem to lose his gaze on her.

All stood upon noticing the entrance of the bride and her brother, who lead her down the aisle to the Duke, who received a comforting glance from the Granville girl.

Her dress was simple, but she was truly the most beautiful thing Sevyn had ever seen.

Giving a final smile to his sister, Anthony took his spot next to Sevyn, beginning the viewing of the wedding with a twinge in his heart.

Daphne and Simon truly would be a remarkable pair, but Sevyn could not help but feel something... off? "In the name of the father, the son, and the Holy Ghost," the bishop demanded attention. "Amen." We all waited eagerly to hear the words, "I now pronounce you man and wife."

Grasping Sevyn's hand, Violet's trailing tears did not go unnoticed by the girl.

Within the decorated halls of the Bridgerton House, Sevyn stood by the side of the eldest son. "A beautiful party?"

She gazed up to the ceiling, "truly."

"Sevyn," he grunted, easing into the young lady, "I am truly sorry for what conspired within the past week."

She huffed, looking to the man through narrowed eyes. "Anthony, your mother thought us to be engaged."

He seethed, "You know how the women in my family are with Lady Whistledown," he tried to reason, "once she mentioned us..." he could tell she no longer needed an explanation. "I am so sorry, Sev." She knew Anthony's reasoning matched her expectations.

"It is alright, my Lord." He looked to her hopefully, but quickly caught view of the light bruising on her neck. Eyes narrowed with confusion, he moved the loose strands of hair, exposing the area. "What is this?" He seemed panicked.

Of course, he knew what it was, but he had hoped he was simply seeing things.

"What do you mean?"

Across the hall, Benedict stood within the presence of Sir Henry Granville- the father of the woman of his interest. "A most enjoyable party."

"Indeed." Benedict hastily responded.

"Um, Bridgerton..." Henry knew Benedict had caught him in his endeavors with Wetherby. "Um..." A quite unfortunate situation. "The other night..." he uncomfortably began,

"What happened the other night?" Benedict responded, "I do not believe anything happened at all." He played coy, hoping that would ease the mans nerves.

With a grateful smile, the man sighed. "Very well." He agreed. "Ah, dearest..." he welcomed his wife, "I believe you know Mr. Bridgerton." He knew it was awkward, but he still thought of how he saw Benedict with Genevieve, when he knew his intentions with his child. "My wife, Mrs. Lucy Granville." He introduced, seeing Benedict's eyes widen.

"It is a pleasure, Mr. Bridgerton."

He nodded, sipping the wine, noticing Anthony walking around, arms linked with Sevyn. Eyes narrowing, the girl caught his gaze. Giving him a gentle smile, she broke off of his eldest brother, and began her way to the group. "Hello." She told the man, not having been able to converse till now. "It was a beautiful reception."

"Truly." Benedict smiled, gulping at the look he received from her father.

Joining Daphne, Anthony confirmed, "I spoke to the Duke." With a proud smile.

"That makes one of us." For someone celebrating one of the most important days of her life, Daphne was furthest from happy.

"He refused your dowry."

"Is this your attempt to raise my spirits?" She asked defensively, taking in a large breath.

"He refused for your benefit, sister." He stated. "I shall put the money in trust, so you may use it how you see fit." He explained, seeing her pained expression. "For your children, perhaps. Certainly, you two will have a brood large enough to put mothers to shame." He joked. Daphne, who looked as if she were hyperventilating, gazed at the floor, trying to catch her breath. "What? Is something wrong."

"I am..." she began. "This is all... I must take a moment." She explained, beginning to move away, "excuse me."

Seeing the girls sudden trudge up the stairs, Sevyn excused herself from Benedict and her parents, eagerly moving to follow her.

Upon finding her in her bedroom, she knocked gently on the door. "I know it must be difficult..." she sighed, inching closer. "To be leaving this house?"

"I have many memories here." Daphne confirmed, not moving an inch.

"And you will make new ones..." Sevyn smiled, moving to join her on the seat. "With Simon." She knew Daphne long enough to be able to pinpoint any change in emotion. The glint of pain in her eyes did not go unnoticed.

"My husband..." she whispered. "Seems so strange to finally be able to say that." Sevyn smiled to her.

"I suppose I have put this conversation off for as long as I can..." Violet suddenly appeared, not prepared to see the young girl, beginning to express the scenario that took place on her wedding day.

Sevyn took this as her leave, wrapping her arms around Daphne, providing a comforting embrace, before she parted ways with a smile.

"It is most natural. Much in the way that rain soaks a field in autumn, and in spring, flowers grow."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.7K 1K 27
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷𝑫𝑨𝒀𝑳𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻⭑.ೃ࿐ *・゚゚・:.。..。.:゚::✼✿ - ✿✼:゚:.。..。.:・゚゚・* 𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐎𝐍 𝐁𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐓, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to...
1.5M 44.3K 54
"𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒊𝒏, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐�...
803K 18.2K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...
139K 2.7K 24
I have known the Bridgertons for most my life. Daphne is my best friend and the closest to a sister I will ever have. Being the only child isn't just...