eleven • sirens

•••"damn the passion, damn the skies

•••
"damn the passion, damn the skies.

damn the light that's in her eyes.

i know too well where it has led before."
•••

July, 1813

He would not allow her to marry the viscount?

An amused grin grew on the girls face, rocking on the swing. "How ever will you convince Anthony- the man with the hardest head in England-" Benedict let out a throaty chuckle, "that he can not have something?"

She was honestly curious on how the man planned to execute his own wishes, also knowing Anthony did not deal well with being told "no".

"Well," she could not help but laugh, biting on the back of her hand to not dissuade the Bridgerton. "What?" A small smirk grew on his lips, watching her hold back her enthusiasm.

"I am sorry..." she began, seeing his look at her intrigued, "truly, but I do not see why you are helping me."

"I like you, Sevyn." He suddenly turned serious, "we might have just met, but you..." he sighed, "you are different."

"Should I be offended?"

"Not at all!" He corrected, "but you are passionate... intriguing," she smiled at him, but hearing the door opened forced their conversation to cease.

"Sevyn?" It was surely Violet Bridgerton herself.

Taking that as her sign to return to the herd, she gave Benedict the smallest of pecks on his cheek. "See you inside, Mister Bridgerton."

He looked at her in astonishment as she strutted to the off calls of his mother. "Here, Violet!" She was truly... exquisite.

Sevyn anxiously awaited Benedict's appearance, standing with Daphne, who bit her nails. "What are you doing?" Sevyn scolded her friend, smacking her hand from her mouth. "Bad habits shall not be tolerated, Daf."

"Like kissing ones brothers?" She retaliated, a play smirk growing on her face at the girls sudden seriousness. "I am only joking, Sev, but I am quite curious..."

"Daphne..." she groaned, begging the girl to end the conversation.

"Okay!" She laughed, "I'll stop!" Violet looked over at the girls curiously. "Can you at least tell me if you are to marry my brother?"

"I am not." Daphne's eyes widened, confused on how she could have done something as intimate as kissing, without a promised engagement.

"But-?" Daphne began, looking quizzically at the girl. "How?"

Daphne had found herself engaged to the Duke for such happenings, but Anthony was not to be held to the same standards.

"I do not wish to wed." Sevyn simply shrugged it off, knowing that is where she differed from her friend. Daphne thought her only purpose was to marry a man, have his children, and live as his property. Sevyn wanted to live her life the way she planned to, until she found love.

Across the room, Violet felt her heart shatter. Overhearing the girls conversations, she knew Anthony was to be perplexed.

Anthony waited impatiently for Benedict to re-enter the hall, and belittle him for the snake he learned him to be. Instantly upon arrival, he was pulled into the Viscount's office.

"What?" Benedict asked, releasing an "oof" as he hit the desk.

He could see the smoke stirring from his brothers ears. "What are you doin?" He spat, glaring at Benedict.

"What ever do you mean?" He joked in return, leaning against the bookshelf. "I am making our guest feel welcome."

He knew his words angered his eldest brother, and frankly, he did not care one bit. If Sevyn were to become a Bridgerton, it would be by taking his hand, not Anthony's.

"You know exactly what I mean!" The man began to pace the floor, knowing he was giving his younger brother a show. "What are you doing with Miss Granville?"

"Nothing Miss Granville will not allow, I assure you, brother." Anthony rolled his eyes in response, grabbing his desk to keep his balance. "Now..." He glared at Anthony, "what are you doing with Miss Granville?"

"That is none of your concern!" He exclaimed,

"I know you kissed her-"

"And I know you did, as well." Benedict and Anthony rarely got into arguments- especially over women. There had never been a need to. This was different. Benedict longed to be with Sevyn, and he knew Anthony was just trying to mend the fact her stomped on her virtue.

"What are you trying to get at, Anthony?" Benedict knew the girl had to have bewitched him, since it was out of character to push on this long in a argument with anyone. Now, he swore he could smell her, and the trail of vanilla and raspberry she adorned.

He acknowledged that she was down the hall, but it was simply odd. "I simply am asking you to back off."

As if Anthony truly believed it was that simple, "That is truly hilarious brother." Benedict huffed, "I am most sullen that I can not follow through on your request."

Anthony stopped his foot like a child, falling on their late fathers leather chair. "And why not?"

"She does not wish to marry you, Anthony." Benedict knew it must have stung, but someone had to tell him. "And I plan on courting her."

Anthony's head snapped in his direction, "you mustn't."

"Oh, but I must." The younger teased. "She is everything I long for in a woman," he knew he was causing his brother great pain, but his brother would have no issue finding another woman, but Sevyn... Sevyn was one of a kind, and seemed to be a perfect match for the artistically-inclined Bridgerton. "You can not define a woman who simply does not care, Anthony."

A quiet knock was heard on the wooden door, Anthony making quick strides to open it- revealing the woman of the hour- "dinner is ready."

Both men exchanged warning glances, as Anthony extended his arm to the woman- leading Sevyn back to the dining room, much to Benedict's dismay.

He knew attempting to up his brother would be chaotic, but Sevyn was made for him, and he knew it time, she would understand that, as well.