His Sunshine | ✓

By pink_flamingo_09

She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
Playlist
Trailer
Prologue - The Questionable Mentality Of The Bad Boy
Chapter One - Generations Of Bad Boys
Chapter Two - Periods & Boy Problems
Chapter Three - More Boy Problems
Chapter Four - Sunshine
Chapter Five - Ice Cream
Chapter Six - How To Build A Fort
Chapter Seven - Sleepovers With Sunshine
Chapter Eight - Beach Day
Chapter Nine - A Broken Princess
Chapter Ten - Surprise Lunch
Chapter Eleven - A Missing Princess
Chapter Twelve - Healing Kisses
Chapter Thirteen - Dates & Homecoming Dresses
Chapter Fourteen - Unwanted Exes
Chapter Fifteen - Homecoming
Chapter Sixteen - Too Much Trouble
Chapter Seventeen - Bad News
Chapter Eighteen - Drunken Mistakes With Handcuffs
Chapter Nineteen - The Problem With Handcuffs
Chapter Twenty - Comforted By The Bad Boy
Chapter Twenty-One - Paintball
Chapter Twenty-Two - Goodbye
Chapter Twenty-Three - Missing You
Chapter Twenty-Four - His Realization
Chapter Twenty-Five - The Party
Chapter Twenty-Six - Accepting Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Seven - The Distance
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Tattoos
Chapter Twenty-Nine - The Best Surprise
Chapter Thirty - To Be Holding Her Again
Chapter Thirty-One - Reece's Lethal Cuteness
Chapter Thirty-Two - Christmas Day
Chapter Thirty-Three - Her Realization
Chapter Thirty-Four - Celebrations
Chapter Thirty-Five - Alone Again
Chapter Thirty-Six - First Day Back
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Good News
Chapter Thirty-Eight - Back To Normal
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Who Is She?
Chapter Forty - A Kiss
Chapter Forty-Two - Ice Cream Part Two
Chapter Forty-Three - Better Together
Chapter Forty-Four - One Month
Chapter Forty-Five - Promise
Epilogue - A Little Surprise
Final Author's Note
The Carters
All Along
Bonus chapter - Proposal (18+)
Bonus Chapter - A Carter Christmas
Bonus Chapter - First Time (18+)
Bonus Scenes!!!
3M Bonus!!!

Chapter Forty-One - First Date

50.6K 1.2K 282
By pink_flamingo_09

~

Reece's POV

~

I can't believe this is happening. I must be dreaming. Because there is absolutely no way that Layla Stevens actually has feelings for me.

But we kissed. And that felt too fúcking real to be a dream. So, she actually, seriously likes me. All of my dreams have come true.

"You're fúcking with me, right?" Liam flat out laughs in my face, bending over with the force of his laughter, "There's no way you worked up the balls to tell her!"

"I did." I reply flatly, leaning back into the couch and taking a sip of my soda.

"Finally," Mark mutters, shaking his head, "The two of you have been pining over each other for months. It's about fúcking time."

"Months?" I ask, eyes wide, "Both of us?"

"Of course," he shrugs casually, "Layla tells Amanda everything and she never hides anything from me. Layla knows this obviously, but I'm no snitch. Layla told Amanda about her feelings for you the day we arrived in New York, but Amanda's had a feeling since..." He shakes his head slightly, "Homecoming probably."

I almost spit out my drink, "Homecoming?"

"Calm down, man," Mark chuckles, "You're really telling me you had no idea?"

"You think I would have waited this long if I knew?"

"Back it up, guys. I'm still over here trying to figure out how Reece was the one that made the first move." Liam exasperates, staring between Mark and I with wide eyes.

"That did shock me as well, I'll be honest," Mark agrees.

"You guys really don't think I'd have the guts to do that?"

"I don't think it's about that. It's more about you putting your friendship with Layla first. You'd never do anything to risk losing her. And you thought that telling her would make her leave." Mark replies.

"It's kind of creepy how spot on that was."

Mark only laughs at my statement, "Between Amanda and I, we've seen pretty much this entire relationship progress. I'm not kidding when I say my girlfriend knows everything."

"So where are you gonna take her on your date?" Liam asks, sitting further forward in his seat on the arm chair.

I look down at my drink, smiling softly to myself. "I think I have something in mind."

~

"You're an ásshole, did you know that?"

"I didn't, actually. Thanks for letting me know."

"You're welcome. It needed to be said eventually."

"True. Honesty is the best policy, as they say."

"Who's they?"

"I don't actually know."

"Right. Anyway, back to the point: You're an ásshole."

"We have established that now, Sunshine."

"You should have learned after I ended up crying on the floor of my apartment when you showed up in New York, that I hate surprises."

"Can you sit through just this last one? We'll be there soon."

Layla huffs, trying to hide her smile from me as she crosses her arms and turns to look out of the window, away from me. "Fine. You owe me."

"Of course, Sunshine. You can choose the second date." I promise, glancing at her quickly. I am so unbelievably happy at this moment, it's not even funny.

She turns back to look at me, a smirk forming on her lips. "Already thinking about a second date when we haven't even started the first?"

"Well, technically I think the date starts from the moment I knock on your front door and goes right up until I drop you back home. And, yes, I plan on taking you on many more dates after this one, Sunshine. If you're up for it?" I ask with a grin.

"Of course I am." She replies sweetly.

"That goes for both of us then." I smile at her quickly before focusing my attention back on the road ahead of me. She looks amazing tonight. She always looks incredible, but something about her tonight just has me wanting to fall to my knees for her. Maybe it's because I'm finally getting to take her on a date, I'm not sure, but I just think she looks gorgeous. She's wearing a light blue shirt that ties in the front with a pair of fitted white pants.

After a few more minutes of chatter, we arrive at our destination for tonight. Layla leans forward in her seat curiously, looking around as I pull into the small parking area of the little row of businesses. There's the restaurant we're going to tonight along with a few clothing shops, a café, a music store, and a couple other businesses.

"I've never been here before." Layla speaks her thoughts aloud as I swing into a parking space.

"I've come here a few times after school with my siblings – the little ones mostly. We come here to get-" I cut myself off as a thought suddenly occurs to me, "I've brought you here before."

Layla turns to me with furrowed brows as I kill the engine but we both remain in the dimly lit car. "I don't think so. I'm fairly sure I've never been here before."

I smile, shaking my head, "Remember the night of the party when you got drunk? Not long after we first me? The ice cream parlour over there-" I point to the little corner store with the bright sign reading 'ice cream', "that's where I took you when you wanted ice cream."

She takes another second to look closer at the area, a smile taking over her lips, "Was I really that drunk that I don't remember pulling into this little spot? I remember the ice cream shop, now that I'm looking at it, but I don't think I was looking much at the surroundings."

"I completely forgot that this is where I took you. That was completely unintentional, but maybe we should get some ice cream from the parlour after dinner?"

She immediately nods with an excited grin, "Definitely!"

As Layla starts grabbing her purse to get out of the car, I quickly jump out and jog around to her side, opening the door for her before she can reach for it. She steps out of the car and I shut the door after her, catching the grin on her lips.

"Thanks, Reecey," She expresses her gratitude by stepping onto the tips of her toes and pressing a kiss to my cheek. It makes me extremely glad that I made the extra effort for her. I know she appreciates little things like that.

We step onto the sidewalk and I put my arm around her shoulders as we start walking towards the quaint little Italian restaurant. I've passed by it quite a few times when taking my siblings to get ice cream, but I've never actually eaten here before. My parents have though, and they said the food is delicious.

It's not very busy, despite it being a Friday night, so we get seated at a table secluded in the corner of the restaurant quickly. We're handed menus and asked for our drink orders almost as soon as we sit down. Layla and I both ask for water.

"This place is so cute," Layla comments as she looks around, noticing all the different paintings of places in Italy, maps of Italy, and other cute souvenirs and memorabilia. There's soft Italian music playing in the background and the atmosphere is so comforting. I'm glad I chose to take Layla here.

"It is. I've never eaten here before, but my parents have and they say the food is amazing." I tell her, opening up my menu and scanning the options.

"I saw someone with a Margaretta pizza that looked amazing when we walked in. It was enormous though, I wouldn't even finish half of it." Layla laughs as her eyes scour the menu as well.

"We could share it?" I offer and she quickly agrees. I call over the waiter and order the pizza for us to share. Layla hands him her menu and I hand mine over to him as well. As I do so, I notice Layla looking at my hand. Before I can place my hand down on the table again, she gently takes it in her own and brings it closer to her.

"You're wearing the bracelet I got you." She comments softly, her thumb gently running over the sun pendant.

"Of course," I smile, watching our hands as well, "I've hardly taken it off since Christmas."

She smiles as well, not moving her hand from mine but using her other hand to pick up the sun pendant hanging on the necklace I bought her. "I haven't taken mine off either."

I hum, feeling one side of my mouth curl up into a crooked smile. "I haven't taken off my tattoo either."

Layla rolls her eyes at me, tapping my hand gently as if to reprimand me. Before she can completely move her hand away, I catch her fingers with my own and link our hands, brushing my thumb over the back of her hand. She looks down at our joint hands with a barely contained smile as she bites down on her bottom lip.

Our food soon arrives and the meal is spent comfortably telling jokes, sharing stories, and describing our dreams. There isn't once a lull in conversation between Layla and I. Everything flows so naturally between us that I barely even notice when we've finished off the last of our pizza and the waiter collects the plates, asking if we'd like the bill. Knowing that the night is still far from over, I pay for the meal – against Layla's protests – and we leave the restaurant once again.

"That was so good. Thank you so much, Reece. But you really should have let me pay for my half." Layla says as we start walking down the sidewalk. Her hand is still in mine, her other hand wrapped gently around my bicep as if to hug my arm.

"I asked you on the date, therefore I pay for the date. That's how these things work, Sunshine." I tell her with a smile.

"Fine, next time I will ask you out and I will pay."

"Good luck with that." I chuckle, leaning down to press a kiss to her temple as we walk.

She goes quiet after that and I glance down to see her biting back a wide smile. When we walk past the little music store on the strip of shops, Layla pauses outside the window and looks in at the guitars they have on display. The shop is still open and when she looks back at me, mouth open and ready to speak, I already know what she is about to ask. I gently tug her along and into the shop, unable to keep the smile off my face.

There seems to be only one older man working in the store tonight and other than that the place is empty. He looks up and nods at us once from behind the counter before going back to cleaning the guitar he's holding, letting us look around.

Layla seems to get lost in all the instruments, finding particular interest in all the beautiful guitars. I leave her be for a moment, travelling over to the grand piano towards the back of the store.

I haven't played the piano in years, but as I sit down at the seat in front over it and brush my fingertips over the keys, some of the songs I once learnt return back to me. I gently press down on one of the keys, listening to the soft sound it makes. Flexing out my fingers, I bring both hands up and start playing one of the songs I can remember how to play.

I play the intro chords of Lean on Me by Bill Withers before I feel someone sit down on the bench beside me. Layla smiles up at me gorgeously as I continue playing and I can't hold back my own grin. When the first verse starts, Layla starts singing along, knowing all the words. I'm not at all surprised.

"Sometimes in our lives we all have pain

We all have sorrow

But if we are wise

We know that there's always tomorrow,"

Layla smiles up at me brightly as she starts singing the chorus.

"Lean on me, when you're not strong

And I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

For it won't be long

'Til I'm gonna need

Somebody to lean on

Please swallow your pride

If I have things you need to borrow

For no one can fill those of your needs

That you won't let show

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on

I just might have a problem that you'll understand

We all need somebody to lean on,"

She leans her head on my shoulder as the song continues, and I don't miss the link to the song.

"Lean on me, when you're not strong

And I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

For it won't be long

'Til I'm gonna need

Somebody to lean on

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on

I just might have a problem that you'll understand

We all need somebody to lean on

If there is a load you have to bear

That you can't carry

I'm right up the road

I'll share your load

If you just call me

If you need a friend call me uh huh if you need a friend

If you ever need a friend

Call me call me call me

Call me if you need a friend

Call me call me call me call me,"

When the song comes to an end, I hear faint clapping come from behind us, making Layla and I both turn. The older main behind the counter smiles at us, clapping his hands. We both laugh, turning back to face the piano.

"Y'know, that's one of the first things you told me about yourself." Layla tells me softly, her fingers skimming over the keys on the piano.

"What?" I ask, unsure of what's she's referring to.

"The fact that you can play the piano. You told me the day we first found out our spare period is at the same time."

That day flashes through my mind and I smile, "That was also the day I saved your life."

"I wouldn't go that far. It was just a pole."

"Nah uh, I totally saved your life that day, Sunshine."

She giggles, looking up at me from beneath her long lashes. "How will I ever repay you for that?"

My eyes automatically drop down to her lips and I smile. "I think a kiss will do for now."

~

A/N -

Hello wonderful readers!

What are your thoughts on this chapter? What do you think will happen next?

Question: If you were home on a rainy Sunday afternoon, what movie would you most want to see on television? I'm going to have to say Die Hard. I love action movies and Die Hard is one of my favourites.

Thank you so much for reading my story! Have a great day!

~ Pink Flamingo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247K 7.9K 40
***COMPLETED*** PREVIOUSLY TITLED: Babysitting the Bad boy. " Why are you here?" His cold voice asks sending a shiver down my spine. I peek at hi...
530K 14.9K 57
'"I'll show you what to do. Get on your knees," he demands, his voice low like a growl. I can only do what he requests, nodding submissively as I fol...
390K 12.6K 37
Emma is the quiet, clumsy nerd that keeps to herself and is invisible to everyone but her quirky best friend Stella. Even her alcoholic father and br...
1.3K 26 20
Tears pricked my eyes as I tasted bile on my tongue. I could feel my wetness seeping through my panties but would not give him the satisfaction of kn...