[1] The Princess Royal | B. B...

By f1royalty

Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined... More

CAST
AESTHETICS
PLAYLIST
ABOUT HRH THE PRINCESS ROYAL
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
A ROYAL ENGAGEMENT
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
A ROYAL INVITATION
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Final Chapter
THANK YOU

Chapter 17

17.4K 463 196
By f1royalty

The Proposal

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my greatest pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted.

Carlton House, London

"It will be the grandest wedding of the the year. Tulips enough to fill the great room and the finest silks. Only the best for Miss Bridgerton and my nephew," the Queen told her menservants with pride. Brimsley arrived to her side with the scandal sheet, and she took it immediately away from his hands. "The latest Whistledown? How does she report my triumph?"

The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the Duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials...an event that will take place sooner rather than later.

Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the altar: true love, or concealing a scandal.

In that moment, the Prince Friedrich arrived in front of the Queen, with a smile on his face, a smile which slowly faded by the look on everyone's faces.

"Has something happened?" He asked in confusion.

And just in time, the Princess had just arrived on Snow from a very eventful morning.

"Your Royal Highness! You've finally arrived!" Fatima and Martin were waiting for her in front of Snow's barn door.

"Did anyone notice?" She asked as she hopped off Snow.

"No, Princess. Let's go to your room so you can take a bath, and have breakfast," Fatima said, and she sighed. "I'm afraid there is no time to sleep."

"Has my mother yet awakened?" She asked.

"As far as I know, she is just getting dressed," Fatima explained and the three quickly walked towards the Princess' room. Being cautious and avoiding being seen by anyone, specially not any of the Queen's ladies.

Inside the room were Cora and Lilia waiting for Charlotte and Fatima, while Martin stayed outside the door. The maids ripped the Princess off her dress and started the bath. Lilia and Cora giggled at the sight of the Princess asleep on the bath while Fatima washed her hair.

"What a great idea to put a pillow right where her head goes," Lilia chuckled. "Her Royal Highness is out like a light!"

"Lower your voice, or you'll wake her," Fatima whispered and glared at the two. Someone knocked on the door of the bathroom. "Cora, careful with her head. Imagine she is a baby."

Fatima went to see whatever was happening, while Lilia and Cora kept bathing her. Charlotte's bath lasted a bit longer than expected, due to her maids being gentle and careful not to wake her tired self. Fifteen minutes later, Fatima came back, panting a bit, but with a smile on her face.

"The Queen asks for her," she informed them and looked down at the Princess' numb body. "Did she faint?"

"No, but she does seem to have a bruise on her back," Lilia pointed at the spot. "Do you think she fell off Snow?"

"Let's hope that was it and not something more serious," Cora said and sighed. "Well, it is time to wake her."

"I already am," the Princess said, her maids' eyes grew wide as she opened her eyes and stared at the three. "I awoke the moment Fatima said that the Queen was asking for me."

"We must get you dressed, Your Royal Highness," Fatima said and Charlotte nodded.

The Princess got out of the bath, dried herself, and got dressed. Charlotte winced when Fatima tied up her corset.

"Lilia was right. I fell off Snow. Indeed," she sighed as she put on the sleeves of her dress. "A gunshot scared her."

"A gunshot?!" Fatima exclaimed.

"The Viscount and the Duke had their prides in the clouds and their heads up each other's arses. Miss Bridgerton and I went to stop them from getting themselves killed, but a gun was fired, scared Snow, and I fell. No one died, thank God for that. But my back is sore, but I'll live," she explained, and looked at her maids through the mirror with a smile. "Also... It apeares I am close to being engaged."

"That's fantastic!" Cora exclaimed with excitement.

"With Lord Bridgerton?" Lilia asked, but the Princess shook her head.

"With his brother, the second eldest of the family," she sighed contently. Her cheeks were turning red, and the smile on her face grew wide. "We spoke earlier, and... He said some sweet things, and that he was to ask my brother for my hand."

"Wonderful news, Your Royal Highness," Fatima smiled and sighed contently. "And you are all ready."

Charlotte walked out of her room with Fatima, Lilia, and Cora trailing behind her. As much as the Princess wanted to forget of the world and sleep the rest of the day, the thought of soon being engaged to Benedict kept her wide awake.

"Mama, I hear you asked for my..." She entered in the room and stopped talking the moment she laid eyes on the man inside the room. "Yo– You're he– here... Mr. Bridgerton..."

"Your Royal Highness," Benedict looked at her with a smirk and bowed his head.

"Wha– Well, what a..." She chuckled nervously. "What a nice surprise."

"Before we get into...that... I thought I asked you to help your cousin get betrothed with Miss Bridgerton," the Queen stated.

"I spoke very well of my cousin with Miss Bridgerton, I did my part. But with all due respect, Your Majesty, it is not yours or my place to decide Miss Bridgerton's husband, or fate," she stated with a small smile. "She chose the Duke. I'm sure my dear cousin can choose another beautiful young lady to be his princess."

"If it were up to the Queen, you would have been that 'another beautiful young lady' as you say, but..." George said with a small smile on his face. He was sitting next to his mother. "Mr. Bridgerton has asked for my permission to propose to you, dear sister."

Charlotte raised her eyebrows and her eyes grew wide. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words came out. Then, she looked at Benedict, who was now standing next to her with a smirk.

"I know better than to answer for you, Sister," George told her sincerely. "Whatever you decide, you shall have my support."

Then, the Prince looked at his mother, who was staring in between the two. The Queen was about to object, since she remembered her daughter crying over one of the Bridgertons for whatever reason... But when she saw the look in Charlotte's eyes, and her smile... It all went away. Her daughter seemed happy. He is a nobleman, a friend of hers, and clearly a man of good education, manners and wealth. Practically he was close to everything she was looking for for her daughter's husband.

"And..." The Princess snapped her head towards the Queen the moment she started to speak. "You shall have my support as well... Although I thought you were more interested in the Viscount."

"Mama!" Charlotte's eyes grew wide in disbelief for her mother's words.

"I'm just stating the obvious, darling," the Queen shrugged carelessly and her daughter chuckled.

"Shall you accept his proposal, Sister?" George stood and walked towards him and his sister. Charlotte looked at Benedict with a smile, and nodded. "Good. I shall inform the palace's—"

"We must make the announcement before Lady Whistledown. Tonight. Tomorrow morning, the whole country will be aware of your engagement. Finally, we are one step ahead of that vicious woman," the Queen cut her son off with excitement and a smirk. "Mr. Bridgerton, is your family aware?"

"My eldest brother, the Viscount, he is aware of everything, and has also given us his support," Benedict explained. "I was going to inform the rest of my family, only after having asked the permission and blessing of Her Majesty's and His Royal Highness'."

"As it should be," the Queen nodded in approval. "The wedding will take place by the end of this summer."

"Mama! Should we not discuss this first?" Charlotte asked and motioned at Benedict. "All of us?"

"Time does not matter much to me," Benedict said sincerely, and she looked at him with confusion. "For I love the Princess more, and more, every day that passes."

"Oh! Oh... Uh, alright," Charlotte chuckled nervously and nodded. "The end of summer it is."

"That is settled then," the Queen nodded with a smirk, grabbed the scandal sheet from beside her and lost herself reading it.

"A must heartfelt congratulations, Mr. Bridgerton. We look forward to counting you as part of the Royal Family. Our family," George stood in front of Benedict, and offered his hand. The second eldest Bridgerton shook hands with the Prince.

"As do I, sir," he nodded. "Although, if you don't mind me saying... My whole family already considers the Princess as part of our own."

"Thank you, Mr. Bridgerton. It means a lot," George let go and placed his hands behind his back. "We shall discuss your future with my sister further some other day. For now, we shall make your engagement official. After your sister's wedding, perhaps? That from what I heard from Lady Whistledown, would be soon."

"Indeed, sir," Benedict chuckled nervously, knowing this matter was a bit too fragile to be spoken with the Queen, for her nephew, and his sister.

"Mr. Bridgerton," George's voice grew deep and his face grew more serious. "You are marrying the woman I love most in this world. To me, you are not just marrying a Princess. You are marrying my sister. Her hand comes with a title, an image that must stay intact and protected. You would be a Duke, part of the Royal Family of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland."

"George..." Charlotte muttered and stared at her brother with wide eyes. "You will make him regret it!"

"No. He will not," Benedict stated with sincerity. "Nothing can change my mind."

"What I mean is... Are you sure you wish to marry my sister?" He asked firmly. "Choose your answer wisely, Mr. Bridgerton, for there will be no turning back once the wedding is done. And, it is healthy to clarify most things before announcing the engagement to avoid scandal."

"I love her. With all my heart, I love her, Your Royal Highness," Benedict said firmly and nodded. "I do not wish to marry for power, or for a title. I do not need it. All I need, and want is to marry her, for love. True love."

Charlotte looked at him with pure adoration. What came after their marriage was a subject yet to be discussed further, but hearing his words...only made her love him more.

"Is this your way of proposing?" Charlotte whispered.

"Part of it," he chuckled softly and looked straight at George. "Sir, if you allow it, may I have a moment with the Princess?"

"Of course," George nodded, and the Queen cleared her throat. The Prince glared at his mothers and sighed before looking back at Benedict and his sister. "But I'm afraid you cannot leave the palace's premises, for we have much to discuss later during the day, Sister."

"It's alright, Brother. It will be just a moment," Charlotte nodded gratefully.

Benedict bowed and Charlotte made a curtsy before the two walked out of the room. Once outside, the Princess jumped with excitement, and hit his arm, making him groan in pain.

"Why on earth did you not mention you were coming today?" She asked with wide eyes. "And so soon? I was speechless!"

"I thought it of it as a good surprise," he chuckled. "As well as making it up for not telling you of the duel."

"It is all the past, Benny," she said as the two continued walking, to nowhere in the moment. "What matters is that everything is alright. Daphne is getting married, her matter is resolving, and we...are happy."

"Can you come by my house this evening?" He asked. "The Duke is coming over for dinner with Lady Danbury. Perhaps we could announce our engagement to my family during that time."

"Of course I will," she nodded.

"Charlotte!" She heard her cousin's voice from behind her. Charlotte and Benedict turned around and the Prince of Prussia approached them.

"Oh, Friedrich. Wie gehts?" She sighed. How are you? "Es tut mir leid für das, was passiert ist." I'm sorry for what happened.

"Das ist gut, Cousine," he sighed with a small smile. It's good, cousin. "Ich bin hier, um mich zu verabschieden. Ich werde heute Nachmittag nach Preußen zurückkehren." I am here to say goodbye. I will return to Prussia this afternoon.

"Ja wirklich? Wie traurig... Ich werde dich vermissen, Cousin," she smiled, and felt Benedict's hand near hers, and then remembered he couldn't understand a word they were saying. Really? How sad... I'll miss you, cousin. "Oh, we must speak English now, my dear Friedrich, for I shall introduce you to my...future husband... Mr. Benedict Bridgerton."

"It's a pleasure, Mr. Bridgerton," he said and the two men shook hands.

"The pleasure is mine, Your Highness," he nodded and the two let go of each other's hands.

"I was just informing my cousin of my departure to Prussia this afternoon," he said and took a hold of both of Charlotte's hands. "I wish you a lifetime of contentment with your new husband, Cousine."

"Vielen Dank. Ich hoffe dich wieder zu sehen," she smiled. Thank you very much. I hope to see you again. "Sichere Reise, Cousin." Safe travels, cousin.

"Bis zum nächsten Mal, Charlotte," he kissed both of her hands and nodded at the two before walking away to say his farewells to the Queen. Until next time, Charlotte.

"Well... Where were we?" She looked at Benedict, and he chuckled.

"I asked Martin and your head of ladies maids, Fatima, to help me set up surprise for you, in the garden," He explained with a smile. "So, if you lead our way to the garden, Your Royal Highness, for I am unfamiliar with this palace's grounds, I shall thank you deeply."

"Alright, Mr. Bridgerton," she smirked. "Follow me."

Charlotte walked ahead of him and to the garden, in a fast pace. She couldn't wait to get there. The curiosity was eating her alive.

When they walked out of the palace's doors and to the garden, she saw, in the distance, near the roses, a blanket, with what seemed to be a few pastries, and a box of all the things she uses when she sketches.

"Is that..." She paused and looked at him with hopeful eyes, and he nodded with a smile. "What are we waiting for? Come on!"

Benedict laughed at her excitement and how she took off towards the place. Instead of running, he walked, only to only stare at her, at how she ran, with a smile on her face.

When she got there, her eyes started to fill with tears and emotion. She's never seen anyone setting up a private picnic near the garden of roses. She felt special. Unique.

"Do you like it?" She felt shivers going down her spine when she felt his breath on her neck.

"I love it," she breathed contently and looked at him. "Thank you, Benny."

He nodded and the two sat on the ground. Indeed, there were dozens of macaroons in display, of all different flavors and colors, and pencils with paper to sketch.

Charlotte chuckled when she saw a hat next to the macaroons, a hat that does exactly with her dress. Since it was a sunny morning, she put it on, and kept looking around her, at all beautiful things.

"Since we share a deep interest in art, I thought we could start this proposal of yours with something we love to do," he explained and took a bite of a macaroon. "With something you love to eat."

"Thank you for the macaroons. This is my breakfast. I was famished!" She chuckled and took a bite of one. "Oh, strawberry, I love it."

"Shall we begin sketching?" He asked, and a smirk slowly grew on her face.

"Is this a competition, Mr. Bridgerton?" She asked, and he raised and eyebrow.

"Shall we make it a competition, Your Royal Highness?" He chuckled. "Alright. May the best sketch win."

The two grabbed their own wooden board, paper, pencil, and began sketching.

Charlotte took a moment to see him. Really see him. How he was so focused, he would furrow his eyebrows together, and not take his eyes off the painting. How he wetted his lips with his tongue every once a while. How the strong and cold wind moved his hair from how it was initially brushed.

And oh, when he caught her staring, he smiled, with such joy... His eyes crinkled at the edges and the corners of his lips turned upwards. She loved seeing him smile.

Soon enough, he was grinning, and so was she. Her eyes, her lips, and her spirit all at once smiled at him.

She looked away shyly, and continued sketching.

That damn smile of hers drew him mad every time. It was so sweet and gentle. Her eyes sparkled happiness and love. It was contagious, and it makes everything seem so alive.

Although, he was very familiar with all her smiles. Perhaps too familiar. He knew them all too well. The ones she shows the rest of the world when she's sad, angry, bored, broken, entertained, too joyful, or happy... It was an understatement for him to think or say, he loved all of them equally.

However... Was it too selfish of him to think or say, that his favorite smile, was the one she does every time she looks at him? With so much passion, joy, and desire.

"I finished my sketch," her words made him snap out of his thoughts and blink a couple of times before looking once again at her. "Did you finish yours?"

"Uh, yes. Yes! Yes, well, I did," he said, and she chuckled.

"Show me," she pleaded, but he shook his head. "Come on, Benny. It cannot be that bad."

"It's nothing," he stated calmly. "Show me yours."

"Only if you show me yours too," she smirked, and he chuckled.

"Fine. Close your eyes, I'll close mine, we'll hand over each other's sketches, and we'll see them at the same time, alright?" He offered, and she immediately nodded with her eyes closed. "Alright, my love."

A giggle escaped her lips. 'My love'. She loved it.

Benedict closed his eyes, and carefully reached for her paper. He gently took hers, and placed his own in her hands. After the exchange was made, he opened one of his eyes and sneaked a peek of her drawing. And he was speechless of how detailed it was.

"Open them," he instructed, and she obeyed. Charlotte opened her eyes, looked down at his sketch, and a laugh escaped her lips. "There was no need on being so brutally honest of how hideous mine is."

"No! Oh no, Benny, I was just surprised," she chuckled. "Of all things I expected to see, your left hand was not one of them."

"Is my hand ugly? Is that what you mean?" He joked, and his smile slowly fell when she turned serious.

"Look at me," she moved closer to him, and gently placed her right hand on his cheek. "Benny, nothing about you is ugly. Absolutely nothing. Not one sketch of yours is...even if this is the first you have ever shown me. Do you have more by chance?"

"More hands? I do," he replied, and they laughed. "But yours is definitely something. I have never sketched a rose before, but it is definitely a far cry from something I could do."

"I– I'll take that as a compliment," she chuckled and placed the sketch back on the blanket.

"Now, if you please, stand up," he stood up first, too fast, and took a hold of both of her hands to help her stand too.

"Are we leaving?" She asked, and he snorted. "Is that a no?"

"No, we are not leaving," he took a deep breath and cleared his throat. "Char... These past week apart made me realize I never lived a moment of my life, before meeting you. You can't be separated from me, nor I from you. My heart was angry, mad, and destroyed when I was without you... And yesterday, so early, after midnight, when you came to my house, despite of how dark our surroundings were, my heart was colored in your colors."

"Oh, how poetic," Charlotte barely managed to speak and chuckle. Her heart was pounding on her chest, her knees were trembling, and now she was wondering why he wanted her to stand. She was so nervous! Was this it? Was this the beginning of the rest of her life? "Oh, Benny. You have this incredible way of making my heart so happy."

"I am yours, Char. Nothing in me is mine; it's all yours. I've fallen in your charms, in your smile, in your eyes, at your feet, down on my knees..." Then, without letting go of her hands, he got down on one knee. "The day I get down on my knees for another girl, is the day I'll help put on our daughter's sandals."

She squeezed his hands tightly as a tear rolled down her face. Children. Their children. It was the first time she thought of children, and her heart fluttered with joy in her chest.

"Charlotte Augusta Matilda... Will you marry me?" He finally asked with the biggest of smiles and hopeful eyes.

"Yes," she answered without hesitation, a thought, or a pause. and her emotions started to overwhelm her entirely. "Yes, yes. Yes!"

Charlotte fell on her knees and threw herself in his arms. She wrapped her arms around his back, and he did the same around her waist, holding her so tight and close to him.

In their embrace the world stopped still on its axis. There was no time, no wind, no noise. Both of their minds were at peace.

Charlotte felt her body press in such a soft and warm embrace. This was the love she'd waited for, prayed for. She inwardly thanked the Heavens and hugged him tighter. A love like this was to be cherished for life.

They felt at home.

"Benny..." She whispered and leaned back from the hug. His grip on her waist loosened a bit and stared at her properly. "I love you."

And there was that moment, when she stared down at his lips, and she bit her own, that she knew what she wanted. And she was desperate.

And he knew it too.

The world stopped around them when he leaned forward, and she leaned a bit back. She was scared. As much as she wanted to feel his lips pressed against her own, she was scared out of her mind. She's never been kissed on the lips, or being hold so tight as he was holding her right now.

"Trust me," he whispered, begging, and she nodded, while being hipnotized by the feeling.

Charlotte's heart was about to come out of her chest. Benedict pulled her closer, if it was even possible, and she held her breath when their noses touched. Both of their eyes were closed in anticipation, and one of her hands naturally traveled to his hair, making him sigh in pleasure.

And as their lips touch for the first time, neither of them wanted the moment to end.

(Benedict's Sketch)

(Charlotte's Sketch)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49K 1.5K 34
"Hold me close so I can finally... breathe" Marriage wasn't something Carina Bridgerton looked forward to. And true love was not something she dreame...
47.2K 1.2K 34
After spending years as one of the most notorious rakes of the ton, Anthony Bridgerton has decided it's time to settle down and carry on the family l...
3.1K 91 11
𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝑰 𝒈𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒐? 𝑪𝒂𝒏 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒉, 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 �...
60.9K 1.2K 21
"There are two sides to every coin, the head and the tail. You, sir, are certainly the latter." Madelyn Basset, the Duke of Hastings's little sister...