The Second Born Bridgerton...

By chxckbxss

"𝑰 𝒔𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒖𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒚𝒔�... More

A note from me! 💗
Presentable for the marriage market
A vision in purple
Bare babies with wings
Clumpy footwork
The downfall of Peaches Featherington
House arrest
Sly, sister
Rather hideous
What you want
The unthinkable
Half of it
Lilac ribbon
Improper to say
Hot in here
My virtue
Big, bad Benedict
A mess, dear sister
Top half
Fool proof
Fresh air
Appropriate matches
A liar
Blank canvas
No letters
A shock
Forgive, forget
Mere mortals
Before and after
Into reality
My own heart
A sham
First born
An hour
Bottle of bourbon
Any gentleman
At last
New wife
My hero
Ruin yourself
Purple and yellow
Nasty habit
Return to London
Hopeless dream
Rather eager
King of fools
Best for you
Something else
Bridgerton blue
Another glass
My departure
A note from me 💗
100k treat! Note and extra chapter 💗

Courted

20.6K 662 38
By chxckbxss

I stand back from the opened window as he climbs up the side of the house. It is hard to believe he has never done this before since he maneuvers the vines so expertly, launching himself through the open gap and landing with a small crash onto my floor. "Well I do hope no one has heard. That was quite an entrance you have made."

"I did not intend for it to be. In fact, I believe I was quite graceful until the final step." I cannot explain the wave of relief that rides over me as he takes me in his arms and places a small kiss on my head. "That lady whistledown is a horror of a woman and I should not talk of the terrible things I shall do to her when I find out exactly whom she is."

"With the way Anthony speaks, I am beginning to believe it could be him." I tease, returning his gentle kiss and resting my hands on his shoulders. "I was worried you should be upset with me over what she has said. None of it is true. You know that, do you not?"

"Of course, my dearest. You need not worry. After all, if you were falandering around with other men then perhaps you should be better at kissing." Benedict raises an eyebrow, in an attempt to tease me back but he is greeted with a soft hit to the back of the head. "You are sensitive! I apologise, shall I tell you of how much I love your kisses? And everything about you?"

"By everything about me, I am well aware that you refer only to my breasts."

"And what if I do-"

My door clicks open and I stare to him. He stands still for a moment, staring around my room before hiding himself under my bed. I cannot help but laugh a little as he realises he is much too tall to be doing so, and so he must curl his legs to his chest in order to be properly concealed. That is as my mother walks in. "Peaches, we must talk of what this wench has written! Is it true? Is any of it true? I must know so that... so... I... well... is there any truth in this?"

"The majority of things she writes of me are false. They are completely false and written by someone who seems to thrive off speculation and scandal. Many points of what she has written is completely outrageous. But I am being.. courted by Benedict. And I am in love with him. And he is in love with me."

"Courted by?" She scoffs, waving the white sheet of paper around as though it is gospel. "You have ruined yourself Peaches, simply because you could not wait until marriage, or did you allow yourself to be persuaded and convinced of it? I do doubt after what Colin has experienced with Marina that they shall allow Benedict to marry you!" She shakes her head and begins pacing, if she draws too much closer then he shall be revealed. "I do not know what we are to do but we must control this, Peaches. This could... ruin us. I know you do not care of this family and I am sure I do not wish to hear of what you say of me behind my back but... well... you must try. For the sake of me, but if not me then for the sake of your sisters. Think of Pen."

Little does my mother know that I believe it should be Penelope herself who causes all of these problems. But that is where this theory does not quite add up, why should she wish to destroy our family? Bring such dishonour to our name when she knows how it shall affect her just as much as it shall affect me? Or perhaps she was simply so angry with me last night that she no longer cared of what the consequences for herself were. "Yes mother."

"Is that all you have to say, Peaches? Yes mother? It is you who... I could have controlled this little rumour with Marina but I cannot control what she says of you. To even suggest that you have been partaking in... lord knows whatever Lord Granville's parties consist of... it shall be much harder to control. Do you understand?"

"Yes, mother."

She sighs wearily, as though she has suddenly become aware that I shall not speak to her any deeper of the situation. That is when she puts her head in her hands and I must admit I have never seen her so distraught. With no words words, thankfully no more words, she turns to the door and releases herself from my room and back to wander the halls and bother whoever it is she bumps into next.

I breath out a sigh of relief, turning away from him and taking the copy of the scandal sheet in my hands. "What are we to do of what she said, Benedict? I do not know what options we have or what we must do... perhaps you know more of this than I do? You shall figure out a way to save all of this?"

"I am afraid there is no way to do so, peaches. We cannot control what is already out there. However... I am aware of one thing that we may be able to do. But I am unsure if you shall like it or not."

"What is it?"

"I know that you most likely wanted a large and beautiful wedding, with flowers and a pretty dress. A cake and food, we should have danced the night away and kissed at the alter. But..." He hesitates, as though he is no longer sure his next suggestion is a good idea.

"Benedict? What is it?"

He reaches to me and takes my hand gently, placing a kiss on the back of my knuckles before he returns to eye contact. "We could go to Gretna green and be married... tonight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 76 14
Penelope Featherington has always been overlooked, however these past two years her life had flipped on its head. With a published novel pending, and...
68.5K 1.5K 17
Wilting || Colin Bridgerton Last season was hard enough for Magnolia Hayward after her father passed, leaving her and her siblings orphaned, just be...
145K 3.2K 24
MIR: #1 PenelopeFeatherington #1 JuliaQuinn #1 Periodic #1 Ficlet Penelope Featherington was never the beautiful one, n...
9.4K 137 21
Penelope Featherington is in love with Colin Bridgerton and he's too stupid to realise. He was getting married & she didn't want to watch him grow ol...