Jamie

By alanrman

Elinor Wright and Anna Harris were best friends at high school. But after they graduated, their paths separat... More

The Letter
A Car Ride
Feeling Home
Dressing Up
Backstage
Showtime
Truly Madly Deeply
Midnight Sky
The Thrill of Anticipation
First Date (1)
First Date (2)
Stormy Night
Fair Play
Future Plans

London King's Cross

357 21 4
By alanrman

Of course Anna would end up making her solo debut in one of London's most visited halls for classical music, that Elinor had known for sure since the very first time she met her. A feeling of pride filled her in, thinking about all the hard work her friend had put in to get to where she was now standing.

The envelope was now resting on her lap, one hand still clenched onto it. Only as the result of her letter she realized that there was something else peeking out of it. A small greenish piece of Paper, a ticket from Manchester to London. Elinor took it out, eying it from every angle. Of course she will visit her in London! no question about it.

Suddenly she noticed the date of departure. „The train will depart tomorrow morning??", Elinor laughed, Anna hasn't changed, still the same last-minute person she was back then. She gently put the ticket back into the envelope and jumped up from the couch, making her way towards the turntable that was placed neatly on a rotund mahogany coffee table in the back of the living room. After brushing through the records in a nearby shelf, she opted for the usual, Bach's cello suite Nr.1, carefully placing it under the needle.

With the sound of the rich yet warm sound of the cello, she danced her way back to the hallway, grabbing the pastries she almost forgot about. While tacitly munching a pretzel, she started to make up a little list of things she wanted to bring with her.

Standing in front of her closet, she grabbed for her usual monotone turtlenecks, some longer skirts and tights and some vests to complete the look. For some more comfortable clothing she opted for two oversized hoodies, all in the colors of dark green and red mixed with cream and mustard yellow.

When she was almost done packing the most important things into a larger back, she realized she does need some more elegant clothes for the concert. Standing up from the squatting position she was in to make the packing easier, Elinor reached for a cardboard that rested on the highest shelf. Se knew there was a beautiful black dress in there, she once bought a few years ago. Since that day there weren't many occasions for her to wear it, but it made her all the more exciting for the concert. She imagined herself in that stunning dress, sitting in that ostentatious hall and listening to the familiar sound of her friends violin...

There were days, she remembered, where Elinor got the permission to go backstage, lending a hand to position the chairs for the orchestra or helping to tune the instruments. She had a perfect pitch after all, which often was of great help to the musicians. She missed these kind of days, evenings where she escorted Anna to her concerts and witnessing the hall getting more and more crowded from backstage.

The sun was already low on the horizon, sending its last few gleaming sun rays through the reddish sky, when Elinor was done packing. She took a glance at the rustic clock that hung right above the doorframe leading into the hallway. It displayed 5 pm.

So she went back to kitchen and prepared some pasta for dinner. After that she took a quick shower and got bed ready. She went earlier to bed than usual, wether it was for staying up too late the day before or because she simply wanted the day to end with a thrill of anticipation for the following one.

-

Elinor woke up to the sound of rain that pattered against her bedroom window. It was a rather dull autumn day, but Elinor didn't let that affect her good mood. Instead, she was even looking forward to sit in the train and read a good book while watching the raindrops fall.

She swung her legs to the edge of the bed and slid her feet into some wool socks that were already laying next to her bed. She quickly wrapped her watch around her wrist and opened the window to get a bit of cool air into the stuffy apartment. The sudden gust brought a comfortable shiver with it as it approached. Elinor made her way to the bathroom to get a bit freshen up. The cold water was splashing onto her skin, waking her up once and for all. She allowed herself some make up and put her hair up into a high ponytail, leaving a few brown tresses to frame her face.

It was almost 10am when she left the apartment. After a quick glance into the hallway, she ensured herself that she hasn't forgotten anything and exited the building.

Dressed in her dark brown coat and a scarf wound around her neck and shoulders, she made her way downtown, grabbing a cup of coffee at the local bakery, before heading to the station.

As soon as Elinor entered the huge hall where trains arrived and departed, the air felt thick and had potent smells of European station, vehicle exhaust, cluttered garbage, and the stench of urine. People hurried past her, stressfully keeping an eye on their watches as they passed by. Voices echoed from everywhere, ricocheted off the thick brick walls and lost themselves in the crowd that was gathered next to the rails.

Elinor was amidst the whole turmoil, searching for the right track, her luggage romping about after her. "The train arriving at Platform 9 is the 11:00 service to London King's Cross.", she heard the announcement of her train arriving and made her way to the said platform.

"Please stand back from the platform edge until the service has come to a stop at the platform.", a blast of air tousled her hair, causing her ponytail to stream behind her as the train arrived, slowly coming to a stop right in front of her.

The doors opened and Elinor entered, rummaging around the narrow aisles to search for her seat. She went past some families with children in their custody, clearly stressed out by the look of their faces. She chuckled slightly and made her way past them. When she finally got to her seat near the window, she settled herself on it and fetched an MP3 Player out of her pocket. The train started moving just as she plugged in her headphones.

Slowly, the many buildings and streets became fewer and fewer, clearing the view for a wonderful view of trees, rivers and isolated country houses. It was like a movie playing in front of her, all to the sound of Debussy's Claire de Lune. Elinor's hands rested on the table right in front of her, dancing in parallel to the ups and downs of the beautiful dynamics of the melody. She always loved playing the piano, not perfectly if you asked her of course, She hasn't got a chance to practice after all. The lack of money and the fact that she would disturb her whole neighborhood with her play made things a little more difficult. Elinor was never the kind of musician who would brag about her skills. On the contrary, she was rather insecure and much preferred to play alone and to herself.

Lost in the sight of the landscape rolling by, she rested her head against the cool window and slowly closed her eyes.

-

„Next stop London King's Cross", the sound of the uninflected announcement was what tore her out of sleep. She yawned, stretching her muscles a bit before slowly gathering all her stuff back together. After taking a quick glance at her watch that displayed 13:48, she looked outside, watching the train arriving at King's Cross. Then she realized, how could she know where to go? There was nothing mentioned of where she would meet Anna when she arrived...maybe she should head right to the theatre? Still occupied in thought she descended as the train came to a stop.

„Elinor!!! You can't imagine how relieved i am that you could come!!", She recognized the voice of her friend immediately. Anna was standing a few meters away, waving as she smiled at her old friend. She had blonde hair that she brought up in a high chignon, not a single tress hanging out of it, It was noticeable that she already got ready for her concert. Her dark coat was barely curtaining the long silk dress that she was wearing underneath. Paired with some worn out white sneakers, the view was rather odd. „How was your journey here?oh i still can't believe we get to see each other again,it's really been a while!"

Elinor smiled and ran towards her to clasp her in her arms. „I'm so happy to see you too! But next time you could give some more time to prepare myself.", she chuckled, releasing herself from the hug. „i know i know, i will keep that in mind." she laughed, reaching for Elinor's bags to help her.

Together they walked off the platform, past some red-brick pillars that supported the ceiling every few meters. „You know i was really glad when you came out of that carriage.", Anna said, sliding her hands into the pockets of her coat to take out a pair of gloves which she put on, hoping to keep her fingers warmed up. „i wouldn't know what to do if you didn't." She smiled at Elinor, happy to see her familiar face again. „You had no reason to be doubtful, as soon as i read your letter i packed all my things and rushed here." she ensured, loosing her friends handle and took back her bags, aware of the importance of sparing Annas Hands, especially right before a concert.

They strolled further through  the great hall. „Where do we even head now?", Elinor asked as they reached a big gate that she assumed would be the exit. Anna rummaged through her little bag that she carried with her and handed her a ticket with the title „Vivaldi's four seasons at Cadogan Hall". „The concert is tonight...As you know me, i really am a last minute person and couldn't get you a train ticket that would have arrived earlier. That's why You have to drop me by the concert hall first for my final rehearsal before heading to my apartment. „Elinor gave her a sheepish look „Uhm...you know, i still don't have my driver's license.". Anna smiled at her „That's what i figured, therefore, i'm all the more grateful to Jamie for willing to drive you around.".

„...Jamie?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.1K 1.7K 11
The funniest things he said XD
2.9M 75K 23
"Stop trying to act like my fiancée because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...
1.2K 119 17
This book is a compilation of my one-shot stories and poems. Everything that is written in this book is all fictions.
18.6K 518 11
While on a seemingly easily mission to retrieve a valuable artifact for one of his clients, explorer and treasure hunter Nathan Drake crosses paths w...