The Alpha King's Hunt

By authormiakerr

"Tell me why I should waste my time on a maid when I can have a princess tonight?" On every blood moon, twelv... More

The Alpha King's Hunt
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
The Alpha King's Hunt Pre-Order

Chapter 3

74.4K 2.4K 490
By authormiakerr

Gabriel

I rolled over with a groan and found my stretch blocked by a warm but immoveable body.

Grunting, I propped myself up on my elbows, staring down at the woman passed out in my bed. She was snoring lightly and drooling on my pillow, which had been freshly laundered the day before.

I barely stopped myself from growling. I hated having to ask the help to do extra work. But I didn't want to sleep with the smell of this woman's saliva on my sheets, and already my sensitive nose was scrunching at the scent.

I couldn't quite remember her name, but she was impressively solid. I gave her a nudge and she snorted.

"Miss," I bit out, voice low with sleep. "You need to get up. I have places to be."

She shifted and murmured, rolling over onto her back, a string of spittle trailing from the pillow to her lush mouth.

I almost smiled remembering what I'd done to that mouth the night before, but ended up frowning instead as she began to snore even more heavily.

With a sigh, I rolled out of the bed, bouncing on the balls of my feet. I stalked across the room, pulled open a dark walnut armoire, and began to sift through clothing to find something comfortable for the day.

I didn't actually have anywhere to be – most of my daily responsibilities had been postponed or taken over by others in preparation for the hunt – but that didn't mean I wanted a stranger passed out in my room all day.

"Charles," I shouted gruffly, yanking out a pair of pants and a simple shirt.

The bedroom door open and my man stepped in, eyes kept carefully away from the bed and the woman's exposed breasts.

I got an eyeful of them instead, as appreciative as I was annoyed.

"Would you mind waking my guest?" I asked, shoving one leg into the pants and yanking them up.

Charles sighed, but started toward the bed. He looked away from the woman as he prodded her gently, a hand on her shoulder.

"Miss," he tried softly before shaking her a bit harder. I bit back a laugh.

She gasped and sat up, looking around quickly.

Her mouth remained open when she found me across the room, fingers deftly unbuttoning the shirt. She looked satisfied for just a moment before realizing that Charles was very, very close to her.

Then she screamed a small scream and snatched the sheet to her chest. This time, I did laugh.

"What are you- !?" she began, scrambling away from him.

Charles glanced down at her and said with a perfectly straight face, "If you don't mind, Miss, the King has a lot to do today, and will need his rooms available –"

Muttering angrily to herself and glaring at Charles, the woman slid out of bed and began the search for her clothes.

As she looked around the room, I began to piece together the night before. I caught sight of a lace bra flung onto a curtain rod and raised an eyebrow.

"I didn't mean to stay," the woman was saying, but from the offended tone in her voice, it was clear she'd had a plan just like all the others.

On the off chance I passed out before they left, whatever woman I had entertained usually thought they'd gotten away with something when they woke up in my bed. But I had a different set of rules than other men. After all, I was the Alpha.

It meant nothing to me that a woman had shared my bed. My bed was for a handful of activities; sleeping, sex, occasionally eating...most likely off of someone else's body.

But I had no sentimental attachment to it. It could be easily replaced. Like anyone who found their way into it.

I watched the women anyway, their faces when they realized that I honestly didn't care about them.

This woman in particular, who I'd met the night before for the first and last time, was almost fully dressed now. She glared at me and started for the door, but not before Charles cleared his throat.

I had to stifle a laugh as I glanced at my manservant and saw the bra hanging from his fingertips.

Face flaming red, the woman stalked across the room and snatched it before practically running for the door once again.

Charles sighed and started for me, clearly disapproving of the shirt on now and half-buttoned. Charles rummaged around in a lower drawer and pulled out a set of polished shoes, which he straightened on the floor in front of me.

"I really wish you wouldn't use me for that purpose," the man muttered, sitting on the edge of a dresser and crossing his legs.

It was obvious from Charles' posture that we had a relationship that went beyond just king and servant. Although I had a secret reputation of being incredibly fair and generous with my servants, that didn't mean they let loose in my presence. But Charles had been with me for almost all of my life and he could probably get away with murder.

"I wouldn't have to use you for that if they would just believe the rumors, and get out on their own."

Charles rolled his eyes. "You're hoping for too much. You know every woman in the Kingdom daydreams about being the one you can't let go. They each thing they're bringing something unique to the...bedroom."

I snorted.

"Well, I wouldn't say she was particularly unique. Somewhat of a dead fish, really."

"Where did you find her?"
"Out on the Red Street last night."

Charles' face froze as he stared up at me.

"She's not...?" he asked, voice icy with horror.

I rolled my eyes. "I haven't gotten that desperate, Charles."
"Well I wouldn't be surprised if you'd gone through all of the women in the kingdom, and had to work your way down to the lower classes at this point."
That got a grin out of me.

"Not yet. Surprisingly, they're still flocking to me, ready and willing."

Glancing at myself quickly in the mirror, I was satisfied with what I saw. A tall build, broad shoulders, thick blonde hair. The white shirt I wore accentuated my cheekbones and the pants fit perfectly. It was no wonder I never slept alone. I looked damn good.

Charles sighed and stood up.

"Well, you've had your chance at peace and quiet. It's time to start the day."

"Start the day," I scoffed, following my manservant toward the door. "What could I possibly be needed for today? Aside from giving my blessing on ballroom décor, menu items, signage for the tournaments – "

"Your mother wants to speak with you," Charles said lightly, smiling to himself as I groaned.

"Again?"

"Perhaps if you had listened to her during the hundred other conversations, she wouldn't need to bash you over the head with the same warnings."

"I need to find a mate," I mocked in a slightly higher-pitched voice.

"Your mother is the queen, Gabriel, I would refrain from mocking her if I were you."
"You don't need to listen to her every other day –"
"Actually, I do. You forget that I'm in the room with you during every awkward lecture."

We were heading down the hallway now, toward my mother's wing of the castle. The furnishings changed subtly as we went, from modern wood furnishings to cream walls and beautiful paintings.

The doorway to my mother's room was huge, ornate, and had been hand-crafted by my grandfather.

Despite being an Alpha and ruler of the Kingdom and all twelve packs, King Nathaniel had dabbled in the arts, among them woodwork.

My own father hadn't had time to find a hobby. During his reign, the Blue Pack had risen in a short-lived rebellion. He'd spent a year stamping it out and the decade after making sure they knew their place.

And my hobbies consisted of...somewhat inappropriate tastes. I was sure my mother wished I'd taken up woodwork or even knitting to drown out my interest in bedding the entire Kingdom. But something in me was insatiable, and I couldn't help it, trying to burn myself out so I could sleep soundly at night.

The guards outside of the door greeted me with a nod and opened the doors inward, letting Charles step ahead to announce me.

I walked in with my head down, already weary of the conversation that I knew practically by heart.

"Son," the queen greeted from her place at the window that looked out onto the gardens.

"Mother," I returned, walking into the center of the room with my hands behind my back.

"I wanted to speak with you about the Hunt," she said simply, as if we hadn't discussed the Hunt in some capacity over the last two months.

I couldn't help a sigh, and cut my eyes away when my mother looked at me sharply.

Queen Raquel had reigned as the Alpha female for most of her life. My father, King Jasper, had chosen her early on in their Hunt. It had been mother's first year in the Hunt and she was only 18 at the time of the mating. The youngest mate to be chosen in almost a century, and she had proven everyone wrong in their belief that she hadn't been mature enough to step into the responsibility.

Ironic that I would take so long to find my own mate.

Sometimes I found myself wishing that my mother was more of a pushover. But then, I got my strength from her.

"Take a seat," she demanded in a deceptively calm voice.

I walked toward her and pulled a chair over, turning it so that I could sit on it backwards. My mother's face tensed, and I recognized the temptation for her to roll her eyes, but she refrained.

"The Hunt starts in two days," I recited, wanting to get this over with.

"It does. And I've been holding off on this conversation –" she ignored my scoff – "but it's time we have a talk."

My eyes narrowed as I caught Charles shifting in my peripheral vision. The man was usually stoic, and restlessness was a sign that he was in on this somehow. I would have to chew him out for it later.

"This is the fifth Hunt during your reign, Gabriel, and it will have to be your last."

I sighed. "Mother, I told you, it isn't my fault none of these little brats are suited to be my mate."

"Don't pretend that's the issue, Gabriel. We both know you've been putting mating off so that you can chase tail all over the Kingdom."

I was momentarily speechless hearing those words out of my mother's mouth.

"Some of our more loyal pack members to the south have been whispering of another uprising."

That shut me up. I realized suddenly that me, my mother, and Charles were the only ones in the room. And Charles was watching us intently.

"What sort of uprising?" I asked, sitting up straight.

"There's word that their Alpha is dissatisfied with your inability to take the Hunt, and the future of the Kingdom, seriously."

"I don't...I take it seriously, mother, I just..."

But myself and the other two occupants of the room were well aware that despite my protests, I had done everything I could to put off mating. I'd made it all the way to 28 without committing to anyone.

"If you don't find a mate this year, they're going to come after you Gabriel. And if I'm being honest, I don't blame them."

My head snapped up. "What?"
Mother sighed, gracefully re-arranging her skirt.

"You lack conviction, Gabriel. You've more than proven that you can be a fair and just leader when it comes to the packs. But the people don't want to follow a man who is so easily distracted by lust."

"It doesn't distract me," I growled.

Charles cleared his throat. "My Alpha, you did miss a rather important meeting last week."

"I did?"

"It was in regards to addressing the messengers before they left for the territories."

I felt my heart sink and glanced up at my mother.

"I took care of it," she bit out. "But where were you?"

"I'm sure I had something to attend to –"

"You were with one of the huntresses," Charles cut in, staring straight ahead.

I had never felt so cornered, so ganged up on. My own mother and my own manservant.

But I remembered that day – last Tuesday. And the huntress in question, named Mina.

Names didn't usually stick with me but she'd given me a run for my money and I'd even considered visiting her again. It wasn't often that my wolf came out when I was with a woman. There had been something almost...feral about her.

Lost in my memories briefly, I startled when my mother cleared her throat and looked up to catch her disapproving gaze.

"It's been five years Gabriel. It's time. There can be no Alpha without a mate."

She turned back to the window and I knew the conversation was over, though I hadn't done much talking.

I shot a glare at Charles, who was avoiding eye contact, and stood.

The outer door slammed open and the guards had to scramble out of the way as their King strode out into the hall and back toward my own chambers.

Read up to chapter 15 on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 6.4K 49
Sexual content 18 and older advised Iris is an alpha female. She's beautiful, powerful, reliable and the future queen of the werewolf world There ar...
72.8K 2.6K 51
"I'll ruin you till there's nothing left to give." Every member of the lupine Realm lost his sanity after few centuries of living without a mate. Kin...
143K 7.6K 41
• Completed • • Highest Ranking #2 Paranormal October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #4 Romance October 2020 • • Highest Ranking #1 Matebond April 2021...
12.4K 194 86
"I peered up at Cain with tender eyes. "You are my mate, and a piece of my soul belongs to you. Just as it always has and always will." I told him ho...