Flaming Hearts ~Fire with Fir...

By Namifangurl07

"You know. . . Despite our differences, we both have the same flame inside of us. " I told him with honesty a... More

The main Cast of the Story (Yours truly)
Prologue
CH1 - Like Movie Clichés
CH2 - The Nightmare Begins
CH3 - Forced Invitations
CH4 - Getting Stronger - Part 1
CH4 - Getting Stronger - Part2
CH4 - Getting Stronger - Part3
CH4 - Getting Stronger - Part4
CH5 - New Members. . . . ?
CH6 - Crazy Boat Rides and Night Visits
CH7 - The Dark Tournament Begin
CH8 - The Little Mighty Foe
CH9 - The Element of Surprise
CH10- Rose With Many Thorns
CH11 - Playing with Fire
CH12 - The Drunken Warrior - Part 1
CH12 - The Drunken Warrior - Part 2
CH13 - The Knife Edge Death Match
CH14 - Night Talks - Part 1
CH14 - Night Talks - Part2
CH15 - Old Memories
CH16 - A day in waiting. . .
CH17 - Fighting For What's Right - Part 1
CH17 - Fighting For What's Right - Part 2
CH17 - Fighting For What's Right - Part 3
CH17 - Fighting For What's Right - Part4
CH18 - Team Urameshi vs Team Masho
CH19 - The Art of Fights
CH20 - Determination - Part 1
CH20 - Determination - Part 2
CH21 - A Brother's Rage - Part1
CH21 - A Brother's Rage - Part2
CH22 - Fighting With The Wind
CH23 - The Spirit Wave
CH24 - Reverse Decisions
CH25 - Matter of Love and Death
CH26 - In The End of The Day - Part 1
CH26 - In The End of The Day - Part 2
CH26 - In The End of The Day - Part 3
CH27 - The Masters Arrival
CH28 - Before The Test
CH29 - Decisions of our own
CH30 - The Urameshi Siblings' Big Trial
CH31 - Team Urameshi VS Team Uraotogi
CH32 - Hiei Battles on
CH33 - Many Faces Many Forms
CH34 - 'Yoko has returned' they cry. . .
CH35 - Behind your Reflection
CH36 - Accept it. . . Embrace it. . .
CH37 - The Cape of No Return
CH38 - Miyuki's Strength
CH39 - Suzuka's Challenge
CH40 - Arch Rivals and Old Enemies
CH41 - Another Loss To Bear - Part 1
CH41 - Another Loss To Bear - Part 2
CH42 - Overcoming Grief - Part 1
CH42 - Overcoming Grief - Part 2
CH43 - The Night Before The War - Part 1
CH43 - The Night Before The War - Part 2
CH44 - The First Match of the Finals
CH45 - Kurama's Last Stand
CH46 - At The End of the First Match
CH47 - Beneath Bui's Armour
CH48 - Wielder of the Dragon
CH49 - Waiting and thinking
CH50 - Old Enemies. . .
CH51 - Fire With Fire
CH52 - The Shadow of Elder Toguro
CH53 - Sakyo's Proposal
CH54 - Yusuke vs Toguro
CH55 - Toguro's Full Power
CH56 - Yusuke's Despair
CH57 - Toguro's Desire
CH58 - Out With a Bang
CH59 - The Start of the Last Chapters - Part 1
CH59 - The Start of the Last Chapters - Part 2
CH60 - Talk Between Brothers
CH61 - Going Home
Epilogue
Last Page - Author Note

CH42 - Overcoming Grief - Part 3

206 9 32
By Namifangurl07

The next morning, everyone went on their own separate ways. In the morning I couldn't find Hiei, but I did meet up with Ruby and Kurama at breakfast and told me about that small surprise visit they got from the clown who I humiliated yesterday, Suzuka. When I asked them what was the intention, they told me even though he disliked us still he wanted us to beat Toguro. He even offered Kazuma and Roshead gifts that could help our team to reach this goal. For corrections enchanted items that helped Team Uraotogi reach the Semi-Finals. 

"Isn't it. . . dangerous?" I asked them as I held the glass bottle that contained the Fruit of Previous Life. I didn't get to look at Carrot-Top's item since he left early to find my brother who is probably still out there mourning Genkai's death.

"Well, it can be." Ruby said, agreeing with my statement of course while I gave the items back to Rosehead.

"We won't know it if we just talk about it." Kurama pointed out before he got up from the coach. 

"But are you sure you want to. . . use it?" My water-bender friend asked, understandably concerned.

"If this is what it takes to defeat Karasu, then yes." My redheaded friend nodded his head while giving a serious look on his face.

"I'll come with you." Ruby said as she got up from her seat as well. Her announcement surprised me a little and made me raise an eyebrow at her. Her gaze caught mine and her face flushed red. " I-I mean, just in case something happens and you need help."

"Thank you Ruby." Kurama thanked her with a kind smile. "I really appreciate it."

"Well, what are friends for?" Ruby asked with a shrug and a smile.

"And I guess I am the third wheel then?" I joked out loud before drinking up the last drop of coffee from my cup while my friends laughed.

"Good luck with your training with Hiei." My water-bender friend said cheekily with a mischievous look on her face which made me mentally roll my eyes, but my mind suddenly remembered something important.

"Wait, before going, I need to ask you guys something!" I blurted out quickly as I placed the cup down and approached the two.

"Yes?" Rosehead asked me curiously.

"I'm curious if you have anything about Mara?" I went straight to the point. "Any information or something that could help me prepare more?"

The two shared a worried glance with each other which got me curious.

"Well. . ." Rosehead started, but before he can answer a knock behind them got our attention. We turn to the source, only to see. . .

"Master Yara. . ." Ruby called out softly while I just looked at my other master with the guilt panging in my chest. However, that soon turned into confusion when I see there was a small group of demons behind her.

"Huh?" I hummed out loud, puzzled as my eyes fell on Toya, Jin, Chu, and Rinku who was standing behind the blind old lady.

_________________________________________________________

Outside the cave, Yusuke remained there, sitting in front of the entrance with his head down and legs crossed. Suddenly a person approached him from behind.

"What do you want Koenma?" The Urameshi boy asked rudely, startling the prince of Spirit World and make him jump back.

"Hey, I always surprise you!" Koenma complained but sounded more like a whine.

"I'm not in the mood for your stupid gags." The male Spirit Detective said gloomily. 

"Yes, neither is Botan. . ." The brunette teen said with a defeated sigh. "Makes it very hard to function these days. Actually, it's a real pity. Botan is just too depressed to perform the duties that are expected from her. I'm sure if Genkai was still here, she'd call Botan a big whiny baby and give her a much-needed slap in the face." Hearing the name of the deceased Psychic made Yusuke lower his head down in shame while his eyes shut tight.

"I should've woken up, right when she left the hotel. . ." Yusuke said under his breath, his guilt eating him slowly and painfully. Koenma turned to his detective with a hard expression. "I know I could have stopped her."

"How did she picked such a moron apprentice?" The prince asked in disbelief. Hearing this Yusuke shot up from his spot and grabbed Koenma by his shirt and red scarf, his eyes shooting daggers. 

"WHO YOU CALLING MORON, PACIFIER JUNKIE?!" The Urameshi boy screamed into his boss's face, who was calm the entire outburst.

"They spent the majority of their lives consuming with each other." Koenma began, calmly. "A young fighter and a role model. To teammates to bitter enemies. Whatever terms happened to be on, they were always opposite magnets on a life long life-course. Genkai came here knowing she would die, and Toguro came knowing he would kill her. How were you, a kid, whose mother wasn't even born when this conflict began, planning the interfere with this dispute?" The entire time Yusuke kept himself silent while he let the information slowly shank into his mind. "So, you gonna let go? Or we're just gonna stand there and do the tango?" After some time, the male Spirit Detective shoved Koenma away harshly before going back to his previous spot and sat down, continuing to mourn over his teacher's death.

"Why did you go. . . ?" He asked through gritted teeth as he shut his eyes tight preventing the tear to fall from them while the prince of Spirit World just looked at his detective with sadness. . .

On the empty grass field, Kurama poured a small amount of the red-ish substance out of the bottle's lid. The water-bender girl used her hand to twirl it around in the mid-air while examining it with her energy.

"Find anything suspicious?" The redhead asked Ruby.

"Nothing that I can recall. . ." The bender replied in a murmur as she made the liquid flew back into that small cup. "But still Kurama, are you absolutely sure?" She asked, her worry never dropping down one bit.

"I have to try." The redhead replied solemnly before handing his watch to his friend. "I may be able to come up with strategies, but Karasu is far greater in strength and everything else. If I want to outwit him, I need to transform back to my demon form."

"I. . . " Ruby stammered a little before letting out a small sigh of defeat. "I understand. . ." Kurama placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze and smile to the water-bender before sucking in a deep breath and let go of her. The small cup reached his lips and before he knew the liquid was inside his system. Once he pulled the small lid away from his mouth he gave it to Ruby who took it fast and closed the bottle up with it.

"Are you. . . feeling okay. . . ?" The water-bender asked as she placed the bottle down at the bottom of the boulder she had been sitting on.

"Hm. . ." The fox-demon hummed to himself. "Strange. . ." He placed his finger under his chin thoughtfully. "Maybe it will take a while for it to wor-." His words were cut short when he suddenly felt an unfamiliar feeling inside his chest. His hand flew up to clung onto his shirt while his knees buckled up underneath him.

"Kurama!" Ruby cried out and rushed to his side without hesitation, placing a hand on his shoulder and back. "Kurama, look at me!" The teen girl said with a gentle yet firm tone as she grabbed onto the redhead's face and made him turn to look at her. His forehead was covered in sweat while his emerald eyes looked clouded and hazy. 

Kurama was light-headed and his breathing turned short and rapid. Feeling too weak to keep himself up any longer he collapsed onto the water-bender girl who hugged him tight and tried to keep him steady.

"I'm. . . s-sorry Ruby. . ." The Fox-Demon said dizzily as he buried his face into Ruby's shoulder while his hands clung onto her back, wanting to hold onto something that would keep him from falling even further. He feels himself fading away. Ruby felt it too through his Spirit Energy, which became weaker by seconds.

"It's okay Kurama, just stay awake!" The girl told him sternly, her professional-healer side popping up, but on the inside, she was freaking. "I'll get that thing out of you." However, before she can even lift her fingers. . .

"Smoke?" Ruby asked utterly confused as the cloud of silver-blue smoke began to build up around them. Not knowing what to do against it she just held onto Kurama's form with dear life with her eyes shut tight. A minute had passed and nothing happened besides that the smoke increasing around the pair who got trapped within it. 

But then, something happened. 

To Ruby's surprise, she felt strong arms being wrapped around her frame, making her let out a yelp and force her eyes to shot open. When she did that, she noticed the change on her teammate. . . His hair that was rose-red was now silver-white with a pair of fox ears and a long tail. The clothing had changed from yellow to white robes. Then a deep chuckle escaped from the person's throat as he slowly pulled his face away from the girl's shoulder and looked at the healer with his own eyes that were now taking a sharper and narrowed appearance while the orbs that were once emerald, are now gold.

"Never knew you were that eager to meet me, little lotus. . ." Yoko spoke with a deep yet gentle voice that sent shivers down to Ruby's spine who was still trapped within the fog and in the Fox-Demon's embrace.

"K-K-Kurama. . . ?" The water-bender stuttered as she looked into those sharp-gold eyes. "Is. . Is that. . . ?" Hearing her made the Fox-Demon chuckle in amusement.

"Made you quiet speechless I see." Commented Yoko, making the girl in his arms flush pink in the face while her heart skipped a beat or two.

"W-well it's not my fault that you're-you're-!" Ruby quickly cut herself off, not really knowing what to say next. Not to mention she realized how big of a mistake she had made when she opened her mouth with the accusation. . .

"Charming? Handsome?" Asked the Fox-Demon slyly as he dared to lean closer to the water-bender's face, making it even redder while Ruby's eyes widened even more. "Breath taking. . .Like those eyes of yours?"

"Gah-I. . . I. . ." Ruby started but was at a loss for her words. Eventually, though she managed to snap herself out of the moment. "We don't have time for this!" She said as she snapped her gaze somewhere else and boldly placed her hand on Kurama's face to push it away from her own face. Yoko did not appreciate the gesture but liked the girl's reaction none the less.

"No need to be shy, my dear." Yoko told her huskily as he grabbed the hand that was on his face and brought it close to his lips, giving a soft kiss that made Ruby froze in place and screech on the inside. "After all, it's just me. The same Kurama who you know. Only in his full demon form." Hearing those word made her think for a second before she turned back to look at Yoko and pulled her hand from his grasp, only to place it onto his cheek, which. . . surprised him a little.

"How much?" Ruby asked, earning a raised eyebrow and questioning eyes from the Fox-Demon. "How much of Kurama. . . or well. . . Shuichi is there within you . . . ?" Now understanding the question better, the silver-haired demon placed his large hand on top of Ruby's while leaning further into her touch.

"He is still here." He replied with a gentle tone to reassure the girl. "After all, he is me, still. His thoughts. . . feelings. . . they are all the same. . . we're one. . . So there is no need to be afraid. . . my little lotus. . ." Hearing that newfound nickname made Ruby's heart flutter as the butterflies kept on moving inside her stomach uncontrollably.

"I. . I know. . ." The water-bender girl replied, getting her courage back slowly. "It's just. . . I had known you for so long as Shuichi and well . . . I never thought I would ever see this. . . side of yours. . . if you get what I mean?" The girl was still stammering but still managed to collect some of her composure back.

"I understand." The Fox-Demon replied calmly before releasing his hold from the girl and pull out two roses. One was crimson-red while the other was lavender-purple. "But either way, there is nothing to be afraid of. . ." He once again reassured as he placed the purple rose behind Ruby's ears. The girl was taken aback of course but her lips still had the courage to curl up into a shy smile that she gave to Yoko, who returned the gesture with a sly smirk. "Now that's settled. . . why don't we have some. . . fun?" He asked with a confident tone as he showed the red rose he still had. Seeing that Ruby turned serious, but smirked back, the competitive side of hers peeking out.

"Think fast." She warned before she jumped away. Then she pulled the water out of the grass around her and threw some sharp icicles at Yoko's direction who managed to deflect them with his Rose-Whip.

" A fierce little lamb, who loves to play hard to get." Yoko commented with a wide fox-grin before getting into a fighting stance. "This is going to be interesting." With that, he and Ruby began their sparring session.

Somewhere else on the other side of Hanging Neck Island Hiei and Miyuki were doing the same. The two had been battling with each other for a while that felt like an eternity, but even if it was true, that didn't seem to be enough for those two. 

The female Spirit Detective run out of water, because of the many ice attacks she had performed previously on her partner. 

Once she got completely dry, she changed to air-blades and send them at the Fire Demon's direction still who just dodged them with ease while he got closer to the Urameshi girl's aura. Just as Hiei got there, Miyuki boosted herself up with a giant rock glued onto her feet that soon got kicked toward the demon's direction like a football.

Hiei managed to see it in time and with the Fist of the Mortal Flame, he destroyed the rock into splinters. However, he did not count on Miyuki's earthquake wave attack as soon as she landed back on the ground on her feet and fists. The earth-bending technique knocked Hiei off of his feet, but regained balance fast and disappeared from Miyuki's vision. 

Before the Urameshi girl can realize his disappearance she felt a fist hitting her in the back making her stumble forward but kept herself standing. However, an angry look twisted its way onto her face.

"Damn it." Miyuki grumbled between pants as she fell onto her knees. "Again." She asked before turning to her partner. She had asked Hiei to do this small thing from him. To punch her in the back, in a way of somewhat signalling Mara's attack. And they had been doing that non stop, but each time Hiei managed to find some openings that could lead to his mate to a bad spot.

"I think you two had enough for the time being." Master Yara said as she approached the couple.

"Don't interfere." Hiei spat rudely as he helped up Miyuki. "We will keep on training and that's final."

"What I meant that I need to borrow this dimwit from your hands for a little while." The blind-old lady corrected as she grabbed her other student by the shoulder. "If you don't mind. . . lover boy. . ." The last sentence was whispered since the group of demons who had been there to support the Urameshi Team was there and doesn't want to embarrass the two. . . Even though she considered it, but decided against it due to the circumstances. 

Hiei glared at the woman and was about to retort something, but Miyuki gave him a stern look while shaking her head in disapproval. That made the Fire Demon for once bit his tongue. 

"Hn." He scoffed out before looking at the group of demons with a warning glare before turning to his partner blankly.

"I'll be fine Hiei." Miyuki reassured as he placed her hand on Hiei's shoulder. "Also you need to tame that dragon of yours as well, don't you?" The Fire Demon turned back at the group once again before turning on his heels.

"Don't take too long." Was all he said before disappearing from the area.

"Well, that lad got some attitude there." Jin commented with his Irish accent kicking in.

"You can say that again." Rinku agreed while Toya just nodded his head while Chu just took a large swallow from his drink while enjoying the show in front of him.

"Master, I don't know what to do here." Miyuki said with a little frustration dripping from her tone. "I may be fast, but if Mara is going to get those pressure points again, it's over."

"I know." Master Yara nodded her head, understanding her pupil's concerns completely and for once taking it seriously instead of scolding at the girl for whining. However, the case was different this time. "Maybe you can try to block them by creating an armour out of rocks or maybe try to froze your blood at that specific point like in your fight with Sumika. . . ."

"Maybe. . ." The Urameshi girl thoughtfully said before her eyes accidentally went down to her small kunai-bag. 

'That's right, I haven't used these knives for a while. . .' The female Spirit Detective thought to herself as her hand slipped into the bag and pull out a knife. Once he saw her own reflection in them, an idea popped into her mind. Something that made her eyes lit up. 'Maybe not rocks. . .' 

"Master Yara." Miyuki called as she turned to her master.

"Shoot it, dimwit." Yara replied, sensing the questions already.

"Is it possible to shape metal into flat little scales?" Her question got a raised eyebrow from her master. 

The day flew by fast and the night eventually took its place in the sky.

The girl's brother hadn't left the cave's entrance still. He just kept sitting there and stare into the cave's darkness in hopes of maybe seeing his teacher again.

After some time, something began to come out. A blurry figure which sparkled up hope in the male Spirit Detective heart. A hope that was sadly false and was created by denial. . .

"Y-you're back." The teen boy gasped in disbelief as his eyes watched the illusion that his mind had created. "I KNEW YOU WEREN'T GONE! I knew you weren't!" The picture eventually faded away, bringing the Urameshi boy back to reality. "Grandma. . . wait. . . " Yusuke breathed out before he finally got back to his senses. . . sadly this just sent him into another round of emotional rollercoaster. 

"How long do you plan to stay out here like this, Yusuke?" The prince of Spirit World asked as he returned to check on his detective who was in tears again. "Why do I deserve this?" Koenma sighed in defeat. "Well, anyway. . . Yusuke, Genkai left a message that you might want to hear." Hearing this The Urameshi boy's head perked up then shot his stare at Koenma. 

"Are you serious?" Yusuke asked, only to earn a silent pause from the brunette teen. "Please, what she say?" Koenma groaned a little.

"She said her last year of her life suck because of her student who was such a pain in the ass." The young ruler started. "And she asked you to stay alive for a really long time so she can have some peace and quiet for once. So in other words: Dimwit, go in that battle. Sounds just like her, doesn't it. . ."

"Yeah. . . yeah it does. . ." Yusuke eventually replied with his voice cracking and his eyes filling themselves with tears again. Another minute passed and the Urameshi boy jumped up and with a triple black flip he landed on his feet. . . with a smile. . .

'It's time you bit the bullet and start caring about something with all your heart and energy.' Genkai's serious voice rang. 'But you can't care about it if you're always holding yourself back in case it doesn't work out.' This made him gave an idea, which led him to point his finger gun up into the air.

"I got it." He told himself as he began to charge up his bullet into the weapon. "Watch, grandma! I've got a message for you too!" The wind began to pick up around him along with the powerful aura that surrounded him. " It's a little sample of the energy you gave me! I don't say it, you wouldn't understand!" Then he pulled the trigger in his mind and shot into the air. 

The powerful blast left a huge line behind like a shooting star. . . Seeing that, Yusuke's tears fell once more. . . 

"Is that from. . .?" Kuwabara asked himself as he looked into the sky where that energy line is showing it's glory. . . "Urameshi?"

"That's. . ." Ruby started as she and her redheaded friend looked to witness Yusuke's masterpiece.

"Yes it is. . ." Kurama breathed out in awe. "Such power. . ." Hiei commented as he was also looking.

"Incredible. . ." Toya said as he and his friends watched the bullet of the Spirit gun fly higher and higher into the air.

"Woah, that's some blast out there. . ." Jin commented right after it with a humongous grin on his face.

"That's from Urameshi?" Suzuka asked as he watched the scene from his balcony. "He can do it. Unbelievable, Yusuke could really win!" 

 "Oh, Yusuke. . ." The young grim reaper girl breathed out in amazement as she, Puu, and Aki cheered happily.

The powerful blast of course got noticed by Toguro himself who now couldn't wait to see what that young boy is capable of.

"Well done there. . . Yu-Yu. . ." Miyuki said to herself as she happily looked at her brother's powerful blast disappear into the sky, her heart beaming with pride. . .

"You two can do it. . ." Master Yara told the female Spirit Detective with a reassuring hand placed onto her forearm. "I know you can. . ."

Now Yusuke was lying on the ground with a pleased look on his face.

"You think it got all the way up to her?" He asked Koenma in wonder.

"Yeah. . . I'm sure it did Yusuke. . ." The young prince replied with honesty and a small smile on his face.

At last, Yusuke managed to take the first step to overcome Genkai's passing. . . 

However. . . now that the night is already there, it means that once the sun next rises up, the Urameshi Team will face the biggest challenge of their life. . . The Finals of the Dark Tournament. . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 70 10
'I Finally Found You' (Hiei x Violet love story) It was dark and cold I hate it Cause I am scared I am in the forest I could tell Where am I? How d...
7.6K 385 62
"I'm sorry Hiei." I whisper to him softly with my voice trembling all the way by the pain that is tearing me apart on the inside. With one shaky brea...
1.2K 45 17
How does one go from constantly fighting for their lives to changing diapers? After participating in the second Demon World tournament, won yet again...
218 1 9
*DISCONTINUED* Kageyama x reader Kageyama is the same as always uptight, moody, and socially awkward. Or is that just an act? (Y/n) is an average...