Beast Charmings: Funeral Serv...

By Illinoisdewriter

Are you dying? Or are you preparing to die? Do you have recently dead loved ones? Do you want to treat them... More

Beast Charmings: Funeral Service for Beasts
Prologue
Episode 01: Once Upon a Wake
Episode 02: The Contract Signing
Episode 03: Funeral Home of Mysteries and Magic
Episode 04: Miss Frankenstein
Episode 05: Daisies
Episode 06: Maling Akala
Episode 07: Blood, Tears, and Scars
Episode 08: Blood, Tears, and Scars (Part 2)
Episode 09: Blood, Tears, and Scars (Part 3)
Episode 10: Dolce & Gabbana
Episode 11: Teenwolf
Episode 12: Teenwolf (Part 2)
Episode 13: Teenwolf (Part 3)
Episode 14: Pare Ko
Episode 15: Sunflower
Episode 16: Act of Contrition
Episode 17: Act of Contrition (Part 2)
Episode 18: Act of Contrition (Part 3)
Episode 19: Versace
Episode 20: Ang Huling El Bimbo
Episode 21: Roses
Episode 22: Rainbow Sunshine
Episode 23: Rainbow Sunshine (Part 2)
Episode 24: Rainbow Sunshine (Part 3)
Special Chapter: BuKo
Episode 25: Snowdrops
Episode 26: Peony
Episode 27: The Girl Who Self-Destructs
Episode 28: The Girl Who Self-Destructs (Part 2)
Episode 29: Givenchy
Episode 30: Ligaya
Episode 31: Wicked
Episode 32: Wicked (Part 2)
Episode 33: Chanel
Episode 34: With A Smile
Episode 35: Golden Locks and the Three Blacks
Episode 36: Golden Locks and the Three Blacks (Part 2)
Episode 37: Tiffany & Co.
Episode 38: Spoliarium
Episode 39: Beauty and the Beasts
Episode 40: Beauty and the Beasts (Part 2)
Beast Charmings: Funeral Service for Beasts (Volume 2)
Quarantine Serye No. 1
Quarantine Serye No. 2
Quarantine Serye No. 3
Episode 41: Hermès
Episode 42: Chrysanthemum
Episode 43: The Rebel Mermaid
Episode 44: The Rebel Mermaid (Part 2)
Episode 45: Periwinkle
Episode 46: Stumbled Lino
Episode 47: Stumbled Lino (Part 2)
Episode 48: Tindahan ni Aling Nena
Episode 49: Merry The Brave
Episode 50: Merry The Brave (Part 2)
Episode 51: Louis Vuitton
Episode 52: A Lady In
Episode 53: A Lady In (Part 2)
Episode 54: Toyang
Episode 55: Pok Hunts Us
Episode 56: Pok Hunts Us (Part 2)
Episode 57: Poinsettia
Episode 58: Emperor's No Clothes
Episode 59: Emperor's No Clothes (Part 2)
Episode 60: Balenciaga
Episode 61: Princes in the Prob
Episode 62: Raf on Cell
Episode 63: The Gay Who Cried Help
Episode 64: Sol White and the Seven Religions
Ever After
Alapaap

A Symbolic Look on Beast Charmings

1.6K 114 39
By Illinoisdewriter

A Symbolic Look on Beast Charmings

BOOK COVER SYMBOLISM

Black and white suit and tie
The traditional colors for mourning and funeral are black and white across almost all cultures and places. Ganito rin ang uniform ng mga lalaking Charmings.

Calla Lily
Lily or calla lily to be specific (the one in the book cover) especially the white one signifies restored innocence of the soul before departing for the afterlife. Kaya nga tinutulungan ng Charmings ang mga beast clients nila para mafulfill ng mga ito ang mga unfinished business nila, lalo na iyong mga may kasalanan (Father Piccolo from Act of Contrition for instance) because they have to redeem themselves from sins through confessions and asking for forgiveness. It also means resurrection and rebirth or reincarnation which was their main belief about the afterlife.

Beast Charmings
I designed the title that way because I was thinking of supernatural creatures and I have decided to use 'beasts' as a collective term for them. Charmings also gives me a fairytale-like vibe and thus presenting its relation to the back stories of each beast client to some of the fairy tales we loved with social issues as modern twists.

FIGURATIVE SYMBOLISM

Names of the Charmings
I have shared this earlier on my Facebook page but let me do it again here. The names of the characters were inspired from fairy tales as well. Apparently, Rumplestle from the titular character Rumpelstiltskin, Alladean from the titular character Aladdin also, and Snowbelle from Snow White and Belle combo. Quinnellssey is a word play of Queen Elsa (Frozen) and Tuttieana from Tiana (Princess and the Frog).

Descents of the Charmings
As you all know, the Charmings are half- Filipinos and another half of various descents. Rum is half- British, Dean is half- Indian, Queen's half- Italian, Snow's half- American, and Tutti's half- Chinese. Actually,   I connected Tutti, Dean, and Rum's descent based on history since history is something that really interest me. India during the period of the British Raj was placed under the British rule. Ang Singapore (a Chinese country) naman was part of the British Crown Colony before. To put it simply, na-colonized ng mga Briton ang dalawang bansa. Kina Snow (America) and Queen (Italy) binase ko lang din siya sa history pero hindi sila exactly in way na connected. Pinagpalagay ko lang ang ugnayan nila sa European invasion sa Latin America. Let's say ginawa kong representative ng European country si Italy na sinakop naman ang America.

Knowing that invasion and colonization aren't always rainbows and butterflies, they're dreadful and mostly bloody, I put them altogether and applied it to the characterization of the Charmings to support and promote the idea that despite their differences and histories, they and others too can still live in peace and work together.

Charmings symbolize five various social issues
Isa rin 'to sa mga pinag-isipan ko nang todo haha. All the five Charmings represent social issues and I will do a breakdown in this chapter:

1.  SNOW- Rape and victim-blaming, the most obvious social issue in this story. Odd as it may sound but I portrayed how women are being blamed for being raped and it's frustrating me because I still don't understand what's up with people for doing that. Instead of helping them recover, they are dragging the victims to the pit of despair even more. You know, they blamed Sir Gareth (the rapist) too but the degree of how bad they judged and how poor their verdict towards Snow was of another level.

2.  QUEEN- not really directed to Queen but to her Ate Anna, using wealth to cause someone else's demise (Dahlia's gang rape and murder case). The rich always gets away with murder and other evil deeds, especially in an incompetent and unfair justice system. This issue keeps on oppressing the poor. Itinuturing ng mga ganitong klase ng elitista na para bang may fixed price ang hustisya. If you have money then let's consider it a case closed.

3.  DEAN- passion vs. practicality. Let me quote Tutti's line to explain this: "Our society teaches more on being practical but less on being passionate. It's sad because there are a lot of professionals out there who are successful yet unhappy".

You see, Dean chose Civil Engineering instead of taking Physical Education which his heart belongs to just because his parents thought of being a PE teacher isn't something they will gonna be proud of and it's less of a profession. It's sad because our mentality need not to be like that. Ang daming mga doktor ngayon na ang talagang gusto ay maging isang alagad ng sining but they are afraid to pursue that just because the society deemed those as impractical for living and thus unsupportive of them. There's nothing really wrong with pursuing our passion. Yes, at the end of the day, we need money to survive but it's doing what we love that will keep us truly happy and alive.

PS. If you are an incoming college student and still having doubts on pursuing your passion, then this is the sign you are looking for. Do what you love to do and reach for your dreams because it's as valuable as gold! Let me quote my favorite line from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist to give you an inspiration: "Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure".

4.  TUTTI- she represents child labor and violence against children. Isa sa mga universal human rights ay ang pag-aalaga sa mga bata. Bagay na hindi nagawa ng nanay ni Tutti sa kanya. She made her join an underground fight for children, destroying her stuffs for school just so she would stop studying, and many many horrible things a child doesn't deserve to go through. She also signifies the illegal recruitment of children as proxy soldiers, especially in the Middle East wherein civil and other form of wars are prevalent.

5.  RUM- his was just hinted in the story but not completely disclosed. Although a successful case, he represents schizophrenia and the stigma surrounding the people with the said mental condition. If you remember, his mother abandoned him because of it kasi hindi siya nito matanggap. Rum met Tutti in the hospital where he promised that he will do everything to recover from it. As you see, he's completely not fine because he has triggers and episodes and his are worse than those of Coco. Malaki ang tendency ni Rum na manakit kapag inatake siya ng kanya unlike Coco na nagiging catatonic. He's totally out of his mind kapag hindi siya napipigilan. Rum's back story and truths will be revealed more in the second book.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.  May special chapter po ba?
  - YES, SO PLEASE STANDBY. Marami pa kayong dapat malaman. 🧡

2. May book two po ba ang Beast Charmings?
  - YES! It's entitled Beast Charmings: In Service of the Dead. It will be composed of 30+ chapters only and I had it all planned in my head from start to finish so stay tuned for more updates on my Facebook page Illinoisdewriter's Republic.

3. Ano pong mayro'n sa book 2? Spoil po kayo nang slight please!
  - Book 2 will reveal more secrets, present more social issues, introduce new characters and beasts, and may magkakaroon ng comeback (parang K-pop lang haha). Sa imagination ko, mas challenging ang services nila this time because of the new villains. Dito rin ma-iintroduce ang mga leads ng story kong "Family of Exorcists" and "Tadhana's Night Moving Agency". Anak kasi ng mga charas sa BC2 ang bibida naman doon haha.

4.  Ang Charmings pa rin po ba ang mga bida o iba na?
  - Sila pa rin! Hindi naman magkakaroon ng book 2 kung hindi ako na-attached nang sobra sa Charmings 😭. Mahal na mahal ko silang lima kaya extended ang kwento nila. 🧡

5.  Why should we read Hotel Grimm?
  - Para hindi masyadong masakit ang book 2 ng Beast Charmings hahaha

6.  Sabi niyo po may koneksyon ang Hotel Grimm at Beast Charmings, ano po 'yon?
  - That's for me to know and for you to find out haha

7. Kailan niyo po isusulat ang book 2?
  - After Hotel Grimm and most probably Alapaap hehe.

8.  Bakit ang tagal naman po?
  - You see, I have intricate plots because my weakness is doing the simple ones. Gusto ko talaga iba 'yong akin kaya patuloy ako sa pag-eexperiment and I want my stories to be informative and transformative at the same time. I have to search for facts because I really really want you to learn something from me even though that this is a fantasy story. Lahat nang sinusulat ko ay pinag-aaralan kong maigi kasi ayoko kayong biguin. I read a lot of articles, watch documentaries and movies, listen to current events, and study news stories so that I can give you something worth your time and worth learning and appreciating for. Aside from my studies since I have a scholarship to keep (and currently on my thesis proposal), I want to take a break from this. I want to breathe for awhile. I have been so exhausted. Feeling ko naubos ako laytch sa pagsusulat ng Beast Charmings huhu. Mag-iipon muna ako ng brain cells at kasipagan saka time para masulat ko ang book 2, so that I can proudly and confidently present it to you in its best version. I hope you still wait for it. Isusulat ko naman siya kaso hindi pa sa ngayon.

I hope you give my other stories a chance too because I promised you they won't disappoint, lalo na kung ang tunay mong hanap ay kwentong puno ng aral. Hotel Grimm is about mistakes, second chances at life, and forgiveness whilst Alapaap is about family struggles and faith in God. Plus, I can assure you that they will have the conventional happy ending hehe. They will teach you something valuable for life.

Thank you so much for reading this and appreciating Beast Charmings. It's been a tough journey but you didn't leave me alone. Please know that I am beyond grateful for that. Standby for the special chapter entitled Alapaap. Mahal ko kayo, Charmings! 🧡✨

Nagmamahal,

Illinoisdewriter✨

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 46.3K 39
Head shall bow, knees shall kneel, look into eyes, you shall die! ABSOLUTE adjective abΒ·soΒ·lute \ˈab-sΙ™-ˌlΓΌt, ˌab-sΙ™-ˈ\ : complete and total : not li...
63.9K 1.8K 65
Xanthe Delos Reyes was known for being a 'Maria Clara' on her school.She have the brain,beauty and attittude.Lumaki si Xanthe sa isang maranyang pami...
260K 6.6K 35
Zanelli Terrington has a few more months to live. Just like her past lives, nothing changes as she is still the 2nd princess of the Kingdom of Hawysi...
444K 6.9K 50
Highest Ranking : #680 over 27.65k stories in Fantasy. The only question is, Are you ready to face the Pitfall? Because you are ENTERING THIS ACADEM...