The Priestess and the Dragon...

By NicoletteAndrews

Love and revenge don't end with death. Exiled for her mother's sins, Suzume lives in a remote mountain shrin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Authors Note 5/31/16

Chapter Thirty-eight

10.6K 709 48
By NicoletteAndrews

Suzume stood in mute shock. Kazue turned but she did not seem to see Suzume. Kazue walked down the hill and past Suzume before Suzume realized what she was seeing was not the living Kazue, but a vision of the past. The field they were standing in was strewn with crimson flowers which swayed in the breeze on long leafless stalks. The bright petals curled inward and were surrounded by thin tendrils which flickered like flames as Kazue swept through them. Pollen clung to Kazue’s red pants and sprinkled them with golden dust. Kazue was attired as a priestess, with her white tunic top and red pants. She stopped to pick a flower and rolled the long stem between her fingers. She looked up at the sky, as if she was waiting for something. Then Suzume heard a rumble like the crash of thunder. Kazue smiled at the sky and Suzume followed her gaze. Kaito in his dragon form, weaved through the clouds, his seprentine body dissapearing behind clouds and reappearing moments late. He twisted through the sky before tilting down towards the ground and an incredible speed. Kazue laughed.

“Enough drama, come down here, I have something exciting to tell you!” Kazue rested her hand against the flat of her stomach.

Kaito came down at a sharp angle towards Kazue. Had it been Suzume, she would have turned the other way and ran. Before he could collide with Kazue though. He transformed mid air and hit the ground. He rolled head over heels then popped up in front of Kazue. He threw his hands up in the air with a flourish.

Kazue clapped. “Very nice,” Kazue said with a roll of her eyes but she was smiling all the while.

“I will not stand you rolling your eyes at me, priestess.”

She shrieked in reply and ran away from him. He ran after and caught her easily enough. He gathered Kazue up in his arms by her waist. He swung her around as she giggled. Just seeing them together made Suzume’s stomach twist with jealousy. She knew it was the past but it might as well have been the Kaito she knew flaunting his love for Suzume’s past life in front of her. Is Kazue trying to torture me, why do I have to watch this sappy scene. When they were done kissing, Kaito set Kazue down on her feet.

“Now will you let me tell you my news?” Kazue said eyes dancing. Her hair was a tangled halo around her head and a few crushed red petals clung to the strands.

“In a moment,” Kaito said as he plucked a petal from her hair. “I want to drink in your body a bit longer.” He nuzzled her neck and kissed it. Suzume had to resist the urge to roll her eyes. How much longer is this going to go on?

Kazue pushed him away gently. “First let me tell you, what I was going to say,” she said. Kaito nodded but there was a smirk playing at the corner of his lips. Suzume knew that look, he was going to try something any moment. Kazue continued onward ignoring Kaito’s mischievous smirk. “You know we’ve been talking about the future —what we will do once I die…”

Kaito’s smile faded and he frowned instead. “Kazue, we’ve talked about this a hundred times. I cannot make you immortal.” He took a step away from Kazue. His shoulders were tense and Kazue’s posture change she was tight and alert. I get the feeling this is an old argument they’re both ready to fight.

Kazue crossed her arms over her chest. For Suzume, it was like looking in the mirror. She herself had done that same thing hundreds of times seeing Kazue do it was familiar, like dejavu or a half-remembered song where the lyrics were lost but you still had the impression of the melody. Maybe we are more alike than I thought. Suzume took a moment to study Kazue. At first she thought they looked alike but there were subtle differences. Kazue’s bow shaped mouth was the perfect shade of pink. Her eyes were larger than Suzume’s as well, and her face rounder. We don’t look much alike. At least I am prettier. Suzume thought with mild satisfaction.

“How can you stand to watch me wither away and die while you stay the same? Today I am young and beautiful but what about ten years, twenty and thirty years from now? I will change and you will stay forever the same, unchanging… What then, will you love me when I am old?”

Kaito reached out to brush his hand against her cheek but Kazue slapped his hand away and scowled at him.

Kaito was visibly angered. His brow creased and his mouth had white lines surrounding it. “Kazue, I love you, even if you look like a prune.” He attempted a smile to coax her out of her sullen mood.

Kazue lowered her lashes. Her hand hovered over her stomach but she did not rest it there. Instead she let her hands fall to her side. “What about children? I always dreamed of becoming a mother.”

He sighed. “It is forbidden, such a child could never live.”

Tears gathered along Kazue’s lashes. “Is that why you forced me to become a priestess? So you could have your way with me and never fear a child? I was betrothed. I had a life prepared for me that I gave up for you, Kaito!”

He threw his hands up and Suzume involuntarily flinched, even though his anger was not directed at her. Kazue, however held her ground she looked at Kaito with a defiant lift of her chin. Once more echoing Suzume’s own mannerisms.

Kaito huffed and then said, “Do you think I have not made sacrafices for you? I am laughed at by my equals and even my inferiors. They call me weak because a human woman has captured my heart. They say the great dragon of the west has been brought to his knees by a mortal! I risk losing my domain because I want to be with you.” He tossed his hand in her direction.

“But if I were immortal…”she pleaded.

“No, Kazue.” He spoke her name and thunder clouds rolled and shook the sky. She did not cower, which Suzume had to admit was admirable. She had been on the receiving end of Kaito’s temper plenty of times. He sighed again. The clouds cleared away revealing once more a bright day. He reached for again Kazue and this time she fell into his embrace. He buried his head in her hair as she clutched the fabric on his chest. “Can we not enjoy this time as we have it now? I do not want to think of a future without you, but if I must, I will find you in the next life and the next. We are meant for one another.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry I will not mention it again.” Kazue said. Suzume could see Kazue’s expression. Suzmume had made that same face many times in her life. Kazue had made up her mind and she would not be dissuaded.

The field melted away and in its place, Suzume stood along the craggy surface of a mountain. The center of the mountain was cracked open like an egg and molten rock bubble and hissed within. Someone walked along a narrow pathway, between jagged rocks, a cloak pulled up over their head. Suzume knew her just from the way she walked, full of intent and power. Suzume followed Kazue to her destination which was a hut carved out of the volcanic. The door was painted bright red and outside was scattered chunks of ore and metal. Kazue knocked on the door in a deliberate rhythm. The door swung open and revealed an old bent woman. The old woman lifted her head and revealed sockets devoid of eyes, with the lids sown shut. Her long white hair fell down onto the ground and dragged on the ground. Her large knobbly hands clutched at a hammer, with an enormous iron head that was bigger than the old woman’s head. She held it with ease.

“Who is it,” the old woman said. Her voice was reedy and high pitched.

“My name is Kazue. Please let me in, I was told you could help me.”

The old woman sniffed nosily in Kazue’s direction. “Very well, come in, priestess.” The old woman stepped aside to let Kazue in. Suzume followed, slipping in just before the door closed. Inside more bits of half form metal gathered in the corners of the room. Steam hung about the ceiling like a cloud and at one end a large fireplace dominated a wall. Inside Suzume could see red hot coals burning and bubbling. Is she using the volcano to make weapons? Blacksmith tools were lain next to the bellows, an anvil and metal forms where the swords were poured. Kazue stood in the center of the room looking out of place. The old woman moved some things around shifting hunks of ore about she would lift them up sniff at them and either toss them back down or throw them into the flames of her bellows.

“You’ve come looking for a weapon, I assume.”

“Yes,” Kazue said. Her breath exhaled and with it was all the tension she had been holding in.

“Well you’ve come to the right place. What sort of weapon, perhaps a sword? Or a bow and arrow? I have an quiver that is sure to make the mark every time.”

Kazue shook her head. “No, I am looking for a weapon that can channel my spiritual energy.”

The old woman who had been hobbling around the room stopped. “Are you now?” she turned her sightless face to Kazue once more and took a deep breath.

“You’re a human, but you’ve the stink of dragon on you. What does a priestess want with such a weapon?”

“There is something I must do. I need the weapon to do that.”

The old woman tutted. “It will not be easy to make.”

“Name your price, whatever it is I am willing to give it.”

“I want a dragon scale.”

Kazue sucked in a breath.

“Your dragon doesn’t know you’re here does he?” the old woman said. She grinned and revealed rows of sharpened teeth.

Kazue looked at her hands which she balled into fists. “No, he would disapprove if he knew.”

The old woman cackled. “Mortals, I will never understand you. Well that’s my price, dearie. Bring me the scale and we can conclude our business.”

“I will bring it to you. I will return within the week, for my weapon, have it ready.”

The old woman cackled as the vision faded.

Now Kazue paced back and forth in the same meadow as before. The flowers had whithered and left behind only long leaves which brushed against the hem of Kazue’s robe. In her hand Kazue held the staff. It glimmered with gold markings worked along the shaft and near the handle. Suzume reached for the staff but in this dream world she was unarmed. I wonder what the markings mean, perhaps Kazue can tell me. If only I could reach her. Kazue stopped pacing and looked to the sky. There was no more joyful anticipation. The sky over head was a bleak gray. The rumble of Kaito’s approach rippled through the meadow and the leaves trembled. Kazue set down the staff among the leaves and went back to the crest of the hill to wait for Kaito. This time when Kaito landed there was no playful greeting. He was angry. His blue eyes sparked and the clouds overhead grew thicker and stronger. Thunder rumbled above as Kaito marched over to Kazue.

“Kazue, what have you done?” Kaito said with a snarl. “Did you not think I would find out about the scale, about the iron woman’s deal? The moment you left, she sent word to me. How could you betray me like this?”

“Kaito, listen, I can explain—”

“No!” he shouted. His voice shook the sky and the ground trembled beneath his feet. Lightning flashed across the gray sky.

“I was a fool to trust you. The others were right, humans and immortals were never meant to mix. I should have known you would use me from the start.”

She reached for him but he slapped her hand away. She recoiled and pressed her injured hand to her mouth.

“Kaito, I was going to tell you about the scale, once I finished. I found a way to solve all our problems.”

He shook his head. “That’s what you do not understand. There is no us any longer. You cannot deceive me and expect forgiveness.”

“Kaito—”

“Silence!”

She took a step back. Though she looked ready to cry she did not. She closed her eyes took a deep breath and took a few steps back towards where the staff was concealed.

Kaito saw her and took a few steps to stop her. “Kazue, I do not want to hurt you but if you raise that weapon to me—”

“I’m sorry, I did not want to have to do this but you leave me no choice.” Kazue’s voice cracked.

Kazue picked up the staff and twirled it in front of her. It blurred into a circle of brown and gold. She sang a high and clear note. As she sang, lights burst to life in a circle at Kaito’s feet. The leaves of the flowers had hidden it from him until then. He looked down at his feet and noticed too late the circle drawn into the earth. He looked up at Kazue his expression fierce.

“Kazue, how could you?.”

Tears streamed down her face but she continued to sing. The sound was melancholy and so beautiful that it hurt Suzume to listen. She felt Kazue’s emotions, her fear for her unborn child growing in her womb. Her love for the man she was trapping with her spell and most of all her guilt. The lights spun around Kaito slow at first but gradually gaining speed and closing in on him little by little. He pressed against them but touching them burned him. He howled like a wounded animal and cursed Kazue’s name as the circle enveloped him and when the spinning stop all that remained was a small round stone. Kazue fell to her knees. Rain burst from the clouds overhead and soaked Kazue to the skin.

“I promise you. I will release you as soon as I am immortal. Then you will understand and we will be together again.”

The image faded and Suzume was standing back in the cave, the stone in her hand. She stared at it for a moment. Now I see why Kaito was so angry when he woke up. I would be angry too.

“Now that you have seen what I have done, are you willing to listen, Suzume?”

Suzume turned slowly, uncertain at first but then she saw her standing there. Kazue not as she had seen her in her visions but a statue made of red stone. Suzume’s mouth was dry and speaking proved difficult for a moment. At last she managed to reply. “I don’t suppose I have much of a choice, do I?’

The apparition that was Kazue smiled. “No, not really.”

A/N: At last part of Kazue and Kaito's tale revealed but there's more to come! Just a few chapters left. For those of you that signed up for the Priestess and the Dragon List I am closing it down since there's only a couple chapters left and I plan on posting them once a week until the end. If you want to get more information about my stories then make sure to sign up for my general Story Newsletter, links on my profile. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

539K 18.7K 75
She had only wanted to have a working marriage and a happy family. Despite that, her husband leaves her for another woman after the loss of their unb...
11 0 6
~ not your average fanfic. setting takes place in a magical world where dragons, knights, and kingdoms come alive. along with a few other mysteries...
4.3K 465 41
Tokyo, 1985. As a kitsune living under the guise of a young woman, Kumiko is determined to maintain a low profile and avoid raising the suspicions of...
17.8K 416 39
{Book and look of Kita has been updated and re-edited} Takes Place after Naraku was defeated.... Kagome had a sibling, one from America, who is half...