The downfall of Viscount Brid...

By VRiviera

THE ORIGINAL BRIDGERTON FANFICTION Aurora Grey, only daughter of Earl Grey and new closest friend to Daphne B... More

Casting
Chapter one - an arrival
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four - the first meeting
chapter five - a disagreement
chapter six - lady Danbury
chapter seven - the Cowper ball
chapter eight - uncertain feelings
chapter nine - an invitation to dinner
chapter ten - a proposal
chapter eleven - a response
chapter twelve - the grand picnic
chapter thirteen - afternoon tea
chapter fourteen - an arrival
chapter fifteen - a conversation
chapter sixteen - brothers
chapter seventeen - the Basset Ball
chapter eighteen - a proposal of a different kind
chapter nineteen - an explanation
chapter twenty - telling Aurora
chapter twenty one - a hug from Simon
chapter twenty two - news spreads
chapter twenty three - a night to regret
Lady Whistledown's Society Paper
chapter twenty four - the morning after
chapter twenty five - early wedding plans
chapter twenty six - learning to love
chapter twenty seven - the Lucas' ball
Lady Whistledown's Society Paper
chapter twenty eight - a meeting with the Queen
chapter twenty nine - a new friend
chapter thirty - maternal guidance
chapter thirty one - getting to know each other
chapter thirty two - a quarrel between rakes
chapter thirty three - Reginald
chapter thirty four - nerves
chapter thirty five - getting ready
chapter thirty six - the wedding
chapter thirty seven - the reception
chapter thirty eight - Daphne explains
chapter thirty nine - the beginning of a honeymoon
chapter forty - the wedding night
chapter forty one - a not so romantic honeymoon
chapter forty two - the same bed
chapter forty three - waking up
a letter from Julius
chapter forty five - a proper kiss
chapter forty six - returning home
chapter forty seven - falling asleep in the arms of a Bridgerton
chapter forty eight - a dawning realisation
chapter forty nine - a secret society
chapter fifty
chapter fifty one - slip of the tongue
chapter fifty two - a promenade
chapter fifty three - the society's first meeting
chapter fifty four - an explanation
chapter fifty five - a boxing match
chapter fifty six - a resolution
chapter fifty seven - match makers
chapter fifty eight - paying a visit
chapter fifty nine - Anthony joins the club
chapter sixty - introductions
chapter sixty one - Doctor Lumet
chapter sixty two - with child
Epilogue

chapter forty four - spilling secrets

19.8K 568 78
By VRiviera

Aurora had positively sprinted through her washing in order to make sure she was not one second late to her ‘appointment’ - for fear that Anthony would refuse to impart any information should she get on his bad side.

In fact, she was so determined to be on time that she called upon three maids to dress her as quickly as possible.

The operation was an almost military one and it took the Viscountess a mere fifty six minutes to complete. This was certainly a new personal best.

With three minutes to spare, Aurora rushed from her room, along the hall of the east wing, down a flight of stairs (missing a step halfway down and nearly tumbling to her death), through the main entrance, the main hallway, along an unnamed corridor, and into the study.

Inside, Anthony sat comfortably at his desk, peering over the papers. Hearing her rather noisy arrival into the room, he looked up to greet her.

“I made it!” She managed through heavy breaths, “I’m on time, you have to tell me now. No excuses!”

The Viscount chuckled darkly and shook his head from side to side at her antics.

He had since decided to explain the entirety of his plans to her. After all, Aurora was certainly intelligent and may perhaps be of some assistance. Furthermore - although he would never admit it - Anthony was hopeful that she may find a way to persuade him from accepting the deal. There was something about the venture that did not sit right with him and, were it not for the extensive wealth that came with it, he would gladly have turned down the opportunity.

“Please, take a seat Aurora.”

She so desperately wanted to comment on his use of her first name, but she knew that it would most likely just annoy him and she was determined not to do that.

Anthony caught sight of the ticking in her jaw. It was clear to him that she wished to speak, and her refusal to do so was much to her credit, he thought. It showed her dedication to uncovering his secret.

Taking a seat in the chair that Anthony had placed on the other side of his desk, Aurora stared at him expectantly.

“I would like you to read to my the first paragraph of this document and then tell me what you perceive it to mean,” he spoke as he handed her the document that had previously been sat in the very centre of his desk.

Cautiously, Aurora opened the paper and scanned her eyes over its contents.

“Go on,” Anthony urged.

“Operation Black Swan: proposal. Black swan is a secret venture by the East India Company who’s aim is to profitably transport indigo dye from the Indian sun-continent to England.” Aurora paused and looked up at him, uncertain whether she should continue. Indeed, she was uncertain where she even wanted to continue. The presence of the East India Company within Anthony’s plans did not sit well with her.

“Continue.”

She cleared her throat and returned her focus to the page, “recent increases in consumption of indigo across Europe has created a higher demand which needs to be fulfilled. Private merchants and small companies are turning to the trade as a source of income, therefore. The EIC proposes that we form a more secure standing within the trade so as to eliminate competition.”

There was a deathly silence as both parties analysed the words spoken. Aurora was horrified at this news, she could think of little worse and could not - would not - let her husband go anywhere near the East India Company.

“What do you think?” Came his coarse voice at last.

“Anthony, you cannot pursue this,” she exclaimed, handing him the papers.

Internally, he breathed a sigh of relief. But external he maintained a cool expression.

“Whyever not?”

“I have heard tell that the East India Company is involved in the trafficking of slaves, amongst other horrors. In the north they say that the Company is raping the land of India, that they use little children for labour. I will not let you partner with them.” As her speech gained motion Aurora became more and more resolute in her decision.

Was this the reason why he had become so distant and rude toward her? If so, she would have all the more reason to halt the endeavour in its tracks. The whole affair was ridiculous and unnecessary.

“Aurora I cannot do that.”

“Why not? What is stopping you?” Her patience was quickly wearing thin. Surely he could see why this was a bad idea!

Anthony took a deep breath and rose from his seat on the other side of the desk. Without saying a word he moved around the side of it and stopped in front of Aurora. Leaning back against the wooden table, he crossed his arms across his chest and glanced up at her, removing his gaze once again before speaking.

“You have come from a family of extensive wealth. Indeed, your father himself owns half the ta plantations in the subcontinent! But we are not half so prosperous. That is not to say we are poor - far from it - but I fear you will think us so in our present circumstances. This is an opportunity for the Bridgertons to gain extensive wealth and status, thus securing our finances for generations. Securing you comfort within this family.” The final line was said with such emotion that she had to bit her lip in order to prevent a gasp from escaping.

Aurora was utterly taken aback. That he had considered her own feelings and well-being when making such a decision was shockingly difficult to process.

“Anthony, I do not care for extensive wealth. I would happily live in genteel poverty so long as I was happy and with a man I loved.”

“But you do not even have that!”

“No, perhaps not yet. But if you choose to pursue this deal I fear I will never have the chance to. You will be so caught up in protecting us all from the difficulties that will surely arise working for the EIC that most of us will forget what you even look like! No. I forbid it!”

“I did not realise that you dictated my business decisions.” He said with a chuckle as they caught each other’s eyes.

“Well I do.”

The viscount merely sighed and made his way over the the window of the study, glancing down across the entrance to the house.

“Then what do you suppose we do instead. I think it wise to invest in some kind of enterprise  our inherited wealth will not last forever. Your father has been most intelligent in that respect.”

“I am sure we can examine alternative options. Less morally wrong alternatives, perhaps.”

“Very well,” a brief pause ensued and Aurora nearly thought the conversation to be over until Anthony spoke up again.

“I’d also like to return to your actions earlier,” he remarked, still facing the window.

“What actions earlier? I don’t remember any-“

Her feigned innocence was quickly cut off by the viscount’s gaze as he turned to look at her.

“Is that so, my lady. Perhaps I should remind you.” He stalked toward her powerfully.

“I believe it was something like-“

But, alas, his actions were deftly cut short by the sound of knocking upon the door to the study.

A light sigh of agitation escaped the Bridgerton as he took an unnecessarily large step away from his wife.

Straightening his jacket, he called out, “come in.”

Following the order, the brown door pushed open to reveal on of the Bridgerton butlers carring a pristine silver platter upon which was placed a singular envelope.

“A correspondence for my lady, my Lord.”

Whatever previous annoyance she felt toward the man for interrupting - well she want exactly certain what he had interrupted but regardless - her enthusiasm for him returned thrice-fold upon noticing Julius’ scrawny and practically illegible writing.

*****

My dearest readers,

Most shocking news - it would seem as though our two protagonists might almost be experiencing something akin to affection for one another. It has only taken them forty four chapters.

I decided to make this chapter extra long as I completed my essay on ‘the significance of the vocative case upon our understanding and translation of Latin into modern English’ early. Yes, it was a fascinating piece of work. I wish we used the vocative and locative more regularly but, alas, the English language is not so fortunate as to furnish us with such opportunities for linguistic superiority.

Lockdown is rough.

Yours

Valentina R.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 248 24
Belle Whitmore, daughter of the dowager Viscountess Whitmore, is about to turn 18 and thus will finally be able to enter the matchmaking market of Lo...
126K 4K 35
[Draft 1 of Lady Whistledown's Unpublished Papers] Dear Reader, "Egredere Audacter Et Fideliter "~ Go Out Boldly and Faithfully, is the Vincent famil...
3.4K 205 6
All Is Fair In Love And War. Lord Anthony Bridgerton, the formidable head of the Bridgerton family, sets forth on a quest to secure a worthy spouse...
1M 28.4K 56
It is said that second-born sons have all the fun. This much is certainly true for Benedict Bridgerton, free from the burdens held by his eldest brot...