Avoidance | #2

By Aella_Grey

❝ Because I am the big brother. I'm sorry I wasn't better at it until now. ❞ **** Six months of physical ther... More

intro
aesthetics
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty nine
thirty
third book!

twenty eight

15.7K 657 1.3K
By Aella_Grey

Victoria Hunt

The ballroom was already full of people, most unsuspecting of the events that were going to follow throughout the night. We didn't know when Blaze would show but we had to be ready. I followed my brothers to talk to the Van Doren's while Asrael's family went to talk to some friends.

Alessia was having fun with some of her friends she went to school with but River was by her side, ready to take her out as soon as he was here.

I took a deep breath, putting on a smile and shaking hands Dante after my brothers had done so. His younger sisters that were twins smiled at me and I returned the genuine one.

"Everything ready?" Dante asked, taking a sip of his champagne.

"Yes, there's no room for error." Alex told him and he nodded firmly before they engaged in a somewhat normal conversation, as normal as conversations with rival mafia families went.

I followed Wyatt to the confectionery table and he threw me a lollipop before stuffing his pockets with gummy bears. Damon joined us, stealing the lollipop from me while Wyatt and Helios talked.

As more time passed and Blaze didn't show my nerves started building up but I forced them back down. I had my brothers and five of the most powerful mafia families backing me up.

Damon nudged me and I looked at him before following his eyes. I saw Blaze standing by the entrance with several other men and women. The guard, who happened to be Alessia's cousin was checking the guest list.

Damon nodded to me and placed his hand on the small of my back, leading us back to our brothers. They all exchanged a look before Reuben started toward Dante who took one glance at him before talking to his family.

No room for error.

Wyatt sent me an encouraging half smile and I returned it before catching Blaze's eye. He started towards me and I looked around for Alessia, sighing in relief when I noticed she was gone.

"Vic, I missed you." Blaze said as he reached me, kissing my cheek.

Don't slap him. Don't slap him. Not yet.

I just returned his smile and nodded, leading him over to one of the tables. I looked at Creed who was talking to someone on the phone. Everything was going smoothly.

Blaze picked up two glasses of the champagne and handed me one. I took it with a simple 'thanks' and we both drank.

"So, how have you been. I'm sorry for how I acted that day." He told me and I almost believed him. But the knowledge that he didn't have one good bone in his body made me inwardly scoff.

"I've been good, my brothers and I are getting along much better. How about you and Greyson?" I asked him and he frowned.

"Haven't seen him since I left New York the day you almost died." He told me.

Liar.

Greyson talked to Blaze only last month, he was there for each of our meetings following the outcome of today. I reciprocated his frown and muttered an apology that they weren't close anymore.

A certain song started playing in the background and people started dancing. Blaze extended his hand, asking me to dance and I nodded, accepting it.

Try not to throw up on his shoes.

By now everyone should be in position.

I looked around for my brothers and noticed everyone was there, mostly. My brows furrowed in confusion but I shook it off and guessed he was just getting there or in the bathroom.

"You think I don't know what you're planning? I'm not stupid Victoria, you of all people should know that. Alexander should also keep a close watch on who he trusts." Blaze leaned closer to whisper into my ear and I froze.

What was he talking about? There was no way he could know. Who Alex trusts?

I resumed dancing and shook my head, "I don't know what you're talking about." I put on a fake smile but he saw right through it, letting out a humorless chuckle while spinning me.

"Look at Wyatt." He stated and I turned my head to my brother who looked clueless to the red dot on the back of his head.

My palms started getting clammy and I pulled at the straps of my dress.

There was no room for error, yet here we were already.

I gulped, pushing down my nerves and looking back at Blaze who had a smirk plastered on his lips.

"Wait...how? " I trailed off, unsure.

Blaze only chuckled again and let go of me, my arms dropping to my sides as I looked at Wyatt again. I sucked in a shallow breath.

I was about to speak again when the ballroom doors suddenly opened with  a slam and... Blaze walked in.

What the fuck is going on.

Blaze 2.0 walked down the steps with a bright smile while picking up a glass of champagne. Everyone aimed their guns at him while I just stated at the Blaze in front of me.

The second one practically skipped over and pulled out a gun before shooting the first one point blank in the head. I blinked, looking at the blood now covering my arms and face.

His body slumped next to me and I didn't even the chance to be shocked, I was just confused. The plan had already gone to hell within an hour. Great.

"Oh, that, right. That was my brother Broc. One year younger than me but basically identical." Blaze stated, his smile never wavering.

He had just killed his own brother and he wasn't even fazed? I looked at Broc and began to notice the slight differences in their features. They could easily have passed as twins, and they did.

"Now that that's over and your plan is blown, should we get going?" Blaze questioned, extending his hand toward me. He actually expected me to just go with him.

I walked over to him and he smiled. Right before I rammed my fist into his face.

He doubled over, holding his hand to his face and I heard a few laughs around the room. He stood back up and huffed before sending me a half smile.

"I deserved that but because of it I'm going to have to ruin your perfect little family." He sent me another grin and looked at everyone else who scowled at him.

"You want to know how I knew what you were planning. You have a traitor and the best part about it, is you all trust him unconditionally." Blaze laughed and everyone looked between eachother. Some with suspicion and others just confusion.

I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand and tried to brush the blood off my hands.

"Who is it then?" Damon asked, getting impatient at the lack of movement and sound in the room.

Within a second people started moving, creating a pathway for someone. I couldn't see over the top of people's heads but soon enough someone emerged from the crowd.

My blood ran cold.

There was a collective gasp from everyone around the room. I glanced at my brothers who only had betrayal, hurt and confusion on their faces. I didn't know what to think, I couldn't even do that.

It was a joke right. There was no way in hell. But it's hard to believe a lie when the truth is right in front of you, staring you in the eyes.

The 6'0 brown hair, brown eyes boy looked back at me without an ounce of regret in his eyes.

"Callan.." I whispered, blinking as if it would wake me up from the bad dream.

Blaze looked between everyone before gesturing to Callan, "The floor is yours to explain your reasons." He said with a sly smile, taking a sip of his champagne.

"I don't have anything to say other than imagine being the one sibling no one ever notices. You have the perfect brothers on one hand and then the shining star of a sister on the other. I searched for Vic with my brothers for years even though I was the one no one ever cared about. Who was the one mom and dad always forgot about? Who was the one my brothers never includee in anything. You all deserve what you get." He stated, only resentment for us dripping from his tone.

I didn't even notice I was crying until I felt the wetness on my hands. I didn't even know what to say. If I should have said anything. Because what hurt the most, is that it was true. We included Callan in most things, but not everything. We were never there to listen to him rant, but he was there for us.

So, I couldn't find it in myself to hate him. He was my brother. I,  was a poor excuse of a sister.

I wiped my eyes and glanced between my other brothers. I couldn't read Alex's expression. Reuben looked angry. Creed, Adrian and Zane just looked hurt. Damon and Wyatt though, they had every emotion and none flickering in their eyes as they stared at their brother. Our brother.

"That's nice, now. " Blaze started again, aiming his gun and Callan and pulling the trigger without a second thought.

I felt like time was going in slow motion. Callan dropped onto the floor, unmoving. Most of my brothers were frozen in shock.

But I couldn't describe the hurt that ran through me when I saw Damon, tears streaming down his face as he dropped to his knees. Damon was always the brother who had a short fuse but I knew he was strong. When I first met him I knew he was like me in some ways, broken. But he held himself together, he never once cried. He was the brother I looked up to. Now, he was on his knees, crying as if the tears would never end.

Wyatt got down next to him even though he was barely holding himself together and they just held onto each other.

I was suddenly aware of the weapon strapped onto my thigh and while Blaze was smiling to himself, I took it out. My hand trembled slightly but I gripped the gun, my knuckles turning white as I rested my finger on the trigger.

Blaze looked at me, visibly gulping as he looked at my hand. My brothers looked at me, worried. But I couldn't have cared less at that moment. My brother was dead, because I was too selfish. I only talked to him when I needed to, I never hugged him as he cried. I was never there for him.

My strongest brother who carried the weight of the world on his shoulders was bawling and my youngest brother, who I thought never let anything get to him, was crying as well.

The plan was blown in so many different ways, each worse than the other. I only had one option now.

My hand stopped trembling when I was sure of my decision and the outcome. My eyes hardened but just as I was about to pull the trigger, Blaze pointed to the side. I spared a glance and saw Asrael. He was aware of the red dot on his shirt but never once called out for me to put the gun down.

He nodded at me and I looked back at Blaze. Just before he ripped the gun from my hand, I pulled the trigger. He let out a groan, looking down at his leg. Blood dripped onto the marble floor. He threw the gun aside and frowned at me.

"Didn't know you had it in you, however, you only hit my leg and I'll survive. We really should he going-" Even though my aim was definitely off, it didn't mean I couldn't use what Silas and Asrael had taught me.

I stole a glance at Asrael, relief washing over me when there wasn't a sniper aimed at him. Only, if it wasn't aiming at him now, who was it?

I looked back in time to see Blaze throwing a punch at my face. I blocked it and grabbed his arm, twisting it and pushing down on his knee so he hit to floor.

As I kicked him down he glared at his men, "The fuck are you waiting for? Kill them already." He ordered just as his face slammed into the ground.

Everyone jumped into action and soon enough all you could hear was gunshots left and right, everywhere. As I went to kick Blaze he moved his arm, tripping me so I hit the floor next to him.

He stood up quickly, raising his leg but I grabbed his ankle in time, pulling it so he dropped again. I stood up at the same as him and he scowled before going for the reverse elbow.

I ducked just in time, almost tripping over my footing and falling into the table. Before I could hit the floor though, I caught myself and grabbed a glass, smashing it off Blaze's head.

While he recovered from the blow I punched him before looking at my brothers and Asrael. My brothers were shooting but Damon and Wyatt were nowhere to be seen. Asrael was taking down Blaze's men effortlessly but caught my eye and fear flashed in his own.

I looked back as Blaze just as his fist collided with my cheek. I stumbled back, holding my cheek and opened my eyes to see his cocky smirk. It riled me up and I tried a roundhouse kick.

My heel collided with Blaze's own cheek and I almost cheered at the victory if we weren't in a life and death situation. Blood ran from the cut and he lifted his leg, ramming it into my ribs.

I let out a wince at the familiar cracking sound and wrapped an arm around my waist on instinct. My blurry eyes caught Blaze's fist coming in fast and I moved quickly to the side. He fell onto the table, rolling off the side and groaning.

I rounded the corner, putting as much power as possible into my kick as my foot collided with his groin. He yelped, bringing his legs up and rocking back and forth.

I didn't have time to waste so I looked around for the gun. Asrael caught my eye again and realisation flashed in his eyes. He was too far away to reach me and was fighting off five different guys so he pulled the gun from his waistband before throwing it to me from across the room while taking out another guy with a move of his hand.

Don't you dare fail this shit.

I looked at the gun coming toward me and reached my hand out. The weapon basically slided into my hand perfectly and I took the safety off.

I turned back to Blaze, expecting him to be there still but he wasn't.

I turned around and aimed the gun at him. Only he wasn't aiming for me like I expected and the noise had ceased as everyone became deathly quiet.

My gun was pointed to his head while his was pointed to Asrael's. Asrael's was aimed at Blaze's and I gulped. If I pulled the trigger at the same time as Blaze, he would die, but so would Asrael.

"Well this was a waste of time." Blaze choked out, knowing he would die even if one of us pulled the trigger too late. He had no way out of this.

"If I can't have you Victoria, pretty boy here won't either. What's worse than being alone with the love of your life rotting six feet under."

With those words, the lights went out and three guns went off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9M 78.1K 50
She's a fifteen-year-old girl who killed her "father" in self-defense and lied about it to the police. She thinks she has no other family members and...
87.9K 1.8K 16
Alessandra had always been in the dark about her family. Her mother made sure of it. She never told her anything about her father, her mysterious jo...
159K 6.4K 36
Sequel to The Mafia's Daughter! Adelaide managed to kill Anne and now looks forward to living like a normal teenager... well as normal as she could...
1.8M 38.8K 45
Cover by @_navyblueee_ ~~~~~ The Cortello and Moratti brothers rule the city of angels, Los Angeles. Two famous billionaire families with seemingly n...