I Will Always Bet On You // B...

263FANDOM362 által

Lacy Miller was New York's new uprising reporter. Her way with words give readers an extraordinary image of a... Több

1. Hello Stranger
2. Dinner and a Show
3. Strip chess
4. She's Evil
5. Jealous
6. 30 Moves
8. Hospital Visits
9. Forgiveness
10. Epilogue

7. Bring Back the Party

2.9K 69 64
263FANDOM362 által

Lacy woke up to a kiss being planted on her cheek. "Good morning darling." A ruff voice greeted her. She kept her eyes closed, but a smile pulling at her lips made it clear she was awake. "I see you smiling." Benny pointed out. Still Lacy refused to move. "Fine, be like that." The bed moved causing the girl to sink into the empty spot beside her. That was until Benny jumped on her, attacking her body with kisses. Giggles erupted out of her mouth as he continued to tickle and kiss her. "Say it!" He demanded. Lacy could hardly breath she was laughing so hard. "Say it back and I'll stop."

"Good morning!" Lacy huffed out, feeling her boyfriends weight shift. Brushing away tears she looked up to see him straddling her. "Get off me cowboy." She laughed out. He loved the sound of her laugh, or the way she always loved to sleep in.

"That's not very nice, I thought you'd like me on top of you." He winked. Lacy felt her face warm up. "Now come on, we have to get up or we aren't going to leave here in time." Benny got off the bed, watching as Lacy pulled the covers over her head. "Don't make me tickle you again." With that she sprung out of her position, groaning.

"I'm up!" She shouted in a panic.

---------

Beth had taken the back seat on their way to New York. Lacy turned the radio up, letting them all sing along with the music. The reporter took the long car ride to get her work done. Most of it was done, all she had to do was finalize her work, the rest was already written. She would release and article in a few days with interviews from both Benny and Beth about their match. That was also almost written thanks to the after math at the bar.

After a few hours of mind chess, and practicing Russian, Beth had fallen asleep in a comfortable looking position in the back. Lacy stayed awake the whole time. She loved the scenery, everything so open, free. She had only truly got to experience that a few times in her life. But she wished she could stay there, no neighbours, no traffic, no crowded areas, space and light where ever you look.

There was only an hour and a half until they got to New York. They had been driving for so long, that the sun was already going down, giving them a beautiful pink and orange sunset to watch. Lacy watched Benny drum his finger on the steering wheel to the beat of the music, as he payed attention to the road. His eyes shifted, watching every twist and turn carefully. "Hey." His deep eyes turned to look at her, then back towards the road.

"Hey." Her voice was light. She could feel her eyes relax on him, a light smile was barely visible on her lips.

"You don't have to stay awake you know." He stated, his voice showed he cared.

"I know, I want to." She pulled her legs up on towards her chest. Benny nodded, spreading his arm out to her, taking her hand in his. "I love you, you know." Her light voice made him feel like he was floating, replaying those words in his mind. He didn't know what this was about, but he felt butterflies in is stomach when his eyes met hers.

"And you know that I love you too." He brought her hand to his lips. "Try to get some rest, you look tired." His thumb ran gentle circles over the back of her hand. Lacy nodded. Pulling herself into a tight ball on the seat. Benny had reached to turn the radio up, to preoccupy his mind.

"Wake me up if I don't wake up before New York. I want to see the lights." She smiled resting the side of her head against her head rest.

--------

After an hour Benny decided to wake Lacy up. "Lacy." He carefully nudged her. Her long black eyelashes fluttered as she opened her tired eyes. "Look at the lights." His warm smile welcomed her as she came to understand where they were. Lacy's head whipped around to her window. She was awestruck. No matter how many times she would see the lights, she still found them breath taking. Lacy grabbed Benny's hand in pure joy. "Welcome back." Benny watched her face, she was in awe at the city, thats what he felt when he looked at her.

"Thank you for waking me up." She smiled at him completely in a trance. "Beth, look at the lights." Lacy reached back and shook her a bit. The red heads eyes caught the same wonders, she was just as in love with as the girl in the seat in front of her. "Isn't it just great." The reported sighed.

"I think I'm going to like New York." Beth replied, feeling the same warmth Lacy felt.

--------

Benny pulled the car up in front of his apartment. "Leave your stuff here. We're going to Lacy's after this." Benny looked back to Beth, who nodded. Lacy let Beth out of the back, watching her climb the stairs towards and apartment. "Not that one." Benny called after her, making his way down the stairs, with Lacy following close behind. Lacy stood behind Benny, waiting for him to open the door.

"Guys?" Beth called out to them.

"Come on." Lacy laughed, entering the basement apartment. Her heart swelled, though she hadn't been away that long, she was really glad to be back. The room was silent as they walked in. Beth looked less than impressed with the small apartment.

"Is there a bathroom?" She looked to Benny.

"Uh, yeah. Just through there." He pointed down the hall. Once Beth had left the room, Lacy took off running, jumping on Benny's bed. He let out a loud laugh, watching the women cuddle up in the blankets, taking a deep breath.

"I missed this." She smiled looking up at him. He made his way to her giving her a kiss, before starting to pack somethings they would need. Lacy walked back into the open room. Beth came out of the bathroom, still taking in the apartment. "It'll grown on you, just be glad you get to sleep on my couch, and not a foot pump air mattress." Lacy laughed.

"Okay, we're ready to go." Benny held a few thing. The two women walked out letting Benny lock the door. They all made their way back to the car, getting back into the seats they were in before. Benny drove a few extra blocks getting to Lacy's apartment. This time Beth waited to see what number they went into. Beth was surprised at the difference between the two houses. Lacy actually had a couch, and colour on her walls.

"I'll get you some blankets." Lacy walked to the spare closet, grabbing a thin blanket and a comforter. "The bathroom is around the corner in the kitchen." Lacy pointed.

"Thanks. Goodnight." Beth smiled awkwardly.

"Night." Both Benny and Lacy said back, walking into the fairly big bedroom.

"I'm so happy were home." Lacy smiled changing into her pyjamas. "I missed my bed." She hopped into her bed, pulling the covers up.

"You know what I missed? Seeing you in your bed." Benny's finger tips ran over Lacys exposed skin, giving her goose bumps.

"We have company, so keep your hands to yourself." She laughed pulling his hands off her hips. He noticeably pouted.

"You're no fun." He slouched into the bed. Lacy smiled, cuddling in closer to his warm body.

"Goodnight." Benny looked down to see her wide eyes fluttering shut. He leaded forward, kissing her forehead.

"Goodnight love."
---------

Tight arms held Lacy to the bed when she had woke up. She leaned forward and kissed Benny's nose, brushing some hair from his forehead. Lacy felt truly happy in that moment. She unwrapped herself from him, trying not to laugh as he groaned. She slipped out of her room, making her way to the kitchen to start the coffee pot. Deeply inhaling the smell of the warm beans, she tipped toed though the kitchen to get filling the pot with water, pouring it into the machine.

Lacy looked through her fridge for something to make for breakfast. She decided to make pancakes. She could hear Benny's feet shuffling on the floor towards her. He let his arms glide around her waist, pulling her tight to kiss her neck. "Morning." He planted a kiss on her lips, while she flipped her pancakes. She watched him pour them both coffees, and an extra one for Beth, when she woke up. "I need to get ready." He sipped his coffee. Beth had gotten up from her stop on the couch.

"Morning. Long day ahead of us." Benny passed her the coffee.

"I need a shower." Beth took a sip from the cup, closing her eyes, taking in the rich taste.

"The bathrooms all yours." Lacy smiled flipping a pancake on to the plate. "Breakfast will be ready when you're done." Beth nodded heading towards the bathroom.

"You are so beautiful." Benny leaned over the island of the kitchen, watching Lacy cook. A smile appeared on her face turning around.

"Why thank you Mr.Watts." She giggled, holding the ladle with pancake batter on it.

"I like hearing that from your mouth." He stalked her way slow.

"Well you know what I like?" She paused waiting for Benny to get closer. When her wrapped his arms around her waist she broke into an evil grin. "Seeing you look like an idiot." Lacy brought the ladle up to his nose, wiping it down his cheek, managing to get some in his moustache. She let out an evil laugh, while running away. Benny was right on her tail.

"It's a good thing you're cute, or I'd have to put you out." He said when he finally caught her in the bedroom.

"Remember who's house you're in Mr.Watts." She smirked up at him. A squeal came out of her mouth when Benny rubbed his batter covered face on hers. They laughed, holding each other, until the smell of something burning filled their noses. "The pancake!" Lacy ran to the kitchen, flipping the pancake to see it was charred. "This is the one you're getting." She waved the burnt pancake at Benny, who was trying to keep a straight face.

-------

A few days had gone by, and the three were constantly working, Lacy had been assigned a new article on who is likely to win, Beth or the Soviets. She had to look over and compare almost every one of Borgov's and Beth's games.

Chess filled the apartment. Lacy's article about the Ohio match was amazing, published to the front page. But after hearing about chess for multiple days straight, never taking breaks, Lacy's mind was clouded with another topic. She wanted to do something a little more fun. "What do you think about inviting Hilton, Arthur and Cleo over to your place? I bet they would love to meet Beth. Plus I miss them, and I could really use a brake." She looked up from her chess book, Benny had her helping with research, which she didn't mind.

"Yeah, I'll give them a call." Benny got up from his place at Lacy's table.

-------

Benny had took Beth to his apartment to get ready. Beth though it was just to get some more books to study. Lacy slipped on a tight skirt with a button up blouse. She smiled putting on her usual makeup. She was so excited to see Cleo, she loved her sense of style and he opinions on everything. Plus the girl knew how to have fun. Lacy carried a bag of booze two blocks towards Bennys apartment. When she walked in she heard Benny talking about how he was putting Beth to sleep.

"I'm sorry. I'm tired." She had a sarcastic look on her face.

"And miss out on all the fun?" Lacy laughed announcing herself. Benny stood up walking to her, giving her a kiss.

"What fun?" Benny smirked towards Beth. Right on cue, there was a knock on the door.

"I wonder who that could be?" Lacy placed the bag down, watching Benny open the door. Loud voices filled the apartment. Hilton and Arthur made their way into the apartment, placing their things on the counter.

"Beth Harmon, this is Hilton Wexler and Grandmaster Arthur Levertov." Beth introduced still holding the door.

"The new champ." Arthur shook her hand. Hilton made his way to do the same.

"Congratulations. Benny needed a lesson in humility." Hilton laughed. Arthur made his way to Lacy giving her a hug, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. Arthur and Lacy had always gotten along well, like a sibling relationship. Arthur also gave Lacy a hug.

"Hey, I'm already tops in humility." Benny laughed closing the door. "Hands off my girl." He pointed to Arthur, who raised both hands in the air laughing.

"Hello Beth." Cleo's thick French accent filled the room. She walked to Beth placing kissed on each cheek, startling Beth. "I'm Cleo." She introduced herself. "Lacy! How I've missed you." Cleo said making her way towards the girl, placing her bottles on the counter.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to see you for." Lacy pulled Cleo into a hug, kissing each other cheeks. "You must tell me what you have been up to." She smiled as they held each other's hands.

"Over drinks." Cleo grabbed one of her bottles, opening the top.

"Do you do problems?" Hilton asked Beth, who looked a little out of place. Lacy and Cleo shuffled around the kitchen pouring drinks for everyone.

"No." Beth looked at the long haired man.

"Never?" He asked her.

"I always found them irrelevant. Positions that would never come up in actual games." Beth answered.

"Oh no, don't tell him that. He'll never shut up about it now." Lacy joked, getting a serious face from Beth, but a laugh from everyone else.

"Let me show you one you might like." Hilton laughed. Beth and Benny made their way to the table. Beth took a seat across from the awkward looking man. "Can I mess this up?" He asked, getting permission from both Benny and Beth.

"Hilton, she's no one of your problem freaks. She's the us Champion, for Christ's sake." Cleo smiled at Beth. Beth dismissed it friendly, watching Hilton's hands set up the board. The kept their attention to the board, while Lacy took a look at the board, already knowing the answer. It was one of the first things he had said to her, when Benny first introduced them.

"Benny under what mound did you hide your drinking glasses?" Cleo asked, causing all attention to go to her.

"Hey, quit distracting her." Hilton told Cleo, Beth had reassured him she hadn't.

"Here." Lacy showed Cleo, helping her pour drinks. Beth answer, impressing the two new men in the room. Lacy placed a drink in Arthur's hand with a friendly wink, going back to the counter to retrieve another for the other boys.

"Drink?" Cleo asked Beth. Beth gave Benny a weird look, making Lacy's eyebrows scrunch up for a second.

"No, thank you." She replied still watching Benny. "I should fix the food." She stood from her chair.

"Eh, come on , that's enough of that." Benny patted Hilton's back. Lacy sat on the counter beside Cleo.

"Are you here with Arthur or Hilton?" Beth asked. Lacy's feet swung back and forth as she took sips from her drink. She felt like she was in a trance, listening to the music the boys had put on. She came back to reality as Cleo answered.

"Both of them. Neither of them. The two of them are better than one, if you know what I mean." Cleo answered Beth with a seductive smile. Lacy laughed, as Beth looked down.

"How do you all know each other?" Beth focused on cutting food.

"A sad story, involving me and a bad breakup, and a walk through le Jardin du Luxembourg, where those two stopped me form killing myself." She looked back at the men who sat around joking. "Like I say, a sad story." She smiled at Beth to break the awkward silent. "But as I walked past, Arthur and Hilton were having a violent argument over a chessboard, and I became mesmerized by their passion. Well, thats how they tell it anyway." That caused the three girls to laugh. "No, the truth is. Benny was there and I became mesmerized by Benny. Over and done." Lacy looked up to see the boys looking at them. She had wondered what would have happened if Benny shared the same feelings as Cleo at the time. It didn't matter anyway, she knew they were all friends.

"As every women does." Lacy laughed with Cleo.

"What do you do?" Beth asked the black haired women.

"Guess." The french girl encouraged.

"Something in fashion." Beth answered.

"Lacy, come here." Benny called. Lacy hopped off the counter. She walked over to the three men, who looked up at her.

"What can I do for you boys?" She smiled, taking a seat on the arm of Benny's chair.

"What do you think of playing a simultaneous?" Arthur asked.

"Been there, done that." She laughed, followed by all the guys.

"Not with us, with Beth. We would all play her." Hilton answered.

"Are we placing money on it?" The boys shrugged. "I'll see how the first round with you guys go. See if I want to risk my money." Lacy smirked. Lacy looked to see all three of the boys staring at Beth. "Relax guys, you're asking to play chess, not have sex." Lacy laughed. Beth walked over, placing a tray of cheese and meat on the table. Followed by Cleo.

She looked up, slowly seeing all the guys watching her. "What?" She looked to Benny.

""Let's do a simultaneous. You, play all of us." Benny sighed out.

"Uh, not me. I don't even know the rules. I'll spectate." Cleo answered. Lacy stood up from her spot.

"I'll join you. It'll be more fun watching the guys get crushed anyway." Lacy laughed taking a seat beside Cleo.

Lacy and Cleo laughed as Benny and Beth argued on playing speed chess. Lacy sat with Cleo taking large sips of their drinks, talking amongst each other. The ended up standing in the doorway of Benny's room smoking, watching each boy look over the board as Beth turned fast, playing each one. First round Beth won each game. Lacy and Cleo moved spots to the table, watching intently as they set up again. Both women had been drinking heavily, watching Beth win another round. They laughed as the men's faces showed anger. Clearly they did not like losing money, and losing in general.

Round three came and they all had lost again. The room was quite until Beth spoke up. "Again." She looked straight int Benny's eyes.

"No." He answered leaning back. Beth looked to the other guys who did not look happy either. "Well kid, I think you've got it." Benny looked over the boards. Cleo and Lacy started clapping, along with the rest of the guys.

"Can we dance now?" Lacy stood, pulling Cleo up with her. The two started waving their arms around each other, looking sexy. Everyone laughed, as Benny and Arthur pulling the two women away from each other, taking them as new dance partners.

The rest of the night held the same fun, but all good things come to and end. Everyone was saying goodbye Lacy hugged the boys, she missed nights like this. Lacy waited for Cleo to talk to Beth. Once Cleo made her way to Lacy she stopped. She could tell something was bothering the reporter. "Want to go for a quick smoke?" Lacy nodded and followed the French girl.

"I'll be back." She gave Benny a quick kiss, and followed her friend out the door.

"What is wrong?" Cleo's accent filled Lacy's ears. Cleo handed Lacy a cigarette and a lighter, which she gladly took.

"Nothing, I just miss this." Lacy lied. She knew Cleo had been seeing the weird gazes all night. She could tell it was a bigger problem than that.

"Is it about Beth?" Cleo watched as the other girl shifted uncomfortably.

"Do you find Beth a little attached to Benny?" She sighed out, taking a long drag.

"I do think she has a little interest. But look at you, you're beautiful, smart, successful." Cleo smiled at her close friend.

"But so is she." Lacy's eyes wandered around the New York streets.

"I would hope Beth would never do that to you, especially after your hospitality." She grabbed Lacy's hand with a smile. "I better be going, the boys are waiting." Both the girls stomped out what was left of their cigarettes. "If you need anything, call me." She kissed each of her cheeks.

"Goodbye Cleo." She gave a hopeful smile to the girl.

"Until next time." Lacy watched her walk to where the boys were waiting. She gave a small smile and a wave, receiving 3 back. Lacy made her way down the stairwell, hearing weird noises. She slowly made her way down the stairs, opening the door quietly.

"What the fuck." Was all she could say when she looked into the small apartment to see Beth on top of Benny kissing him. Benny quickly pushed her off of him.

"Lacy please, it's not like that." Lacy's eyes started to water. She was too proud to cry in front of people though, so she held tears back with all her might. Lacy looked over them. Beth's head looked down, unable to meet her eye. Benny rushed to grab her hand. "I swear I didn't mean it." Lacy ripped her hand from his, as if he had poked her hand with something hot.

"I knew it." It scared Beth how calm her voice was. "After everything I have done for you." She looked at Beth, who looked up in shame. "You slept on my couch, ate my food. I can share all of that but I will not share my love." Her eyes met Benny's watering ones. He was shocked at how cold her face was. "Don't ever talk to me again." She turned on her heel, slamming the door behind her. She couldn't help but flinch when the loud bag filled the hall.

She didn't go home right away. She couldn't. All of Beth's and Benny's things were there. Plus she didn't want to be there incase they went to apologize. She knew where she wanted to be, but she couldn't go at this hour. Lacy found herself at a bar. She had already been a decent bit drunk before, but something told her she was fine now. She had gone in, it was half empty. She took a seat at the bar, beside a young man, maybe a year or two younger than her.

Lacy ordered a beer, two actually. She sat drinking both at once. "Wow, I've never seen a women like you drink like that." The young man had turned to her.

"I'm celebrating." Lacy raised her drink to the roof. Her eyes opened and closed tiredly.

"Celebrating what may I ask." He was puzzled by her.

"I caught my boyfriend making out with who I though was my best friend." Her eyes were hardly open when she turned to him taking a long sip from the brown bottle.

"You're celebrating that?" The young man looked concerned.

"No, I'm celebrating being newly single." She laughed out. The song playing in the bar switched, making Lacy's ears perk up. "I love this song! Come dance!" She yelled, pulling the stranger to the dance floor. She held on to the man, swaying back and forth. She laughed as he followed her lead. Finally the song was over and they returned to the bar.

"What's your name?" The man brushed hair out of her face.

"Lacy Miller." She stuck her hand out, like it wasn't too late for an introduction.

"The writer?" The man had been shocked.

"Yup." She hiccuped, still holding her hand out.

"Andrew Felt." He took her hand wearily. "We should probably get you home." He stood trying to help her up.

"But I was having so much fun." She whined leaning up against Andrew for support. Her feet didn't line up with there she was going, so it took Andrew practically carrying her to get her out. "Where do you live?" Lacy lifted her head, looking around.

"That way." She pointed to her right. Andrew sighed hoping she was right. Along the way, Lacy told him when to turn, and which way. "That's mine right there." She pointed to the one with Benny sitting outside of it.

"Who's that?" Andrew asked, though her knew the answer.

"My ex." Lacy replied flatly. They continued approaching her house.

"Who's this?" Benny asked with anger in his voice.

"My new boyfriend. You replaced me, so I replaced you." She laughed like it was the funniest thing anyone had ever said. Her hand reached up to touch Andrew's faces, her hand lingered touching his chin feeling his stubble.

"No. She was drunk, I'm bringing her home." Andrew corrected.

"Boo, no fun." Lacy's body was hanging backwards in Andrew's arms.

"I can take her." Benny stepped forward reaching for Lacy's arm. That seemed to switched her mood real quick. Her body launched straight, twirling around to Benny.

"No you don't get to touch me." She stopped swaying back and forth, though Andrew didn't want to let go just incase.

"Even if I did as you asked, I can smell the whiskey on you from here. Clearly she doesn't want your help." Andrew said calmly to Benny. Benny's face scrunched up pissed off.

"She's my girlfriend." He was almost yelling.

"Not anymore." Lacy broke free from Andrew's grip, making her way up her stairs to her apartment. "Thank you Andrew, I would invite you in, but I'm so tired." Her body swayed back a forth as she tried to unlocked her door. "Shit." She tried again, both men watching her.

"Here." Andrew walked up the steps to help her. He unlocked the door, pulling it open for her, and handing her the keys.

"I need a favour." She looked serious into his eyes. Andrew nodded telling her to continue. "Can you stay here until he takes everything out." Benny's head twisted to the side. "Beth's stuff is still here." She rolled her eyes, walking inside. Both men followed her. "Ill be in my room." She went to get ready for bed. She stayed in her room, but the whole time she could hear the men talking.

"I don't know you but stay away from her." Benny's voice echoed into her room. Lacy's eyes started to fill with tears. She wanted to run out there, and forgive him, but she was so mad, so betrayed, she would never let herself forgive like that.

"And I don't know you, but she told me what happened, and you seem like an asshole." Andrew answered. Benny had felt terrible, he was drunk, he didn't mean to. It just happened. He didn't want Beth, he wanted Lacy. She was all he wanted.

"I messed up, I didn't mean to." He sounded desperate to make Andrew believe him.

"Either way, you've hurt her, really bad. You should go." Lacy heard her front door open. She sniffled as her bedroom door opened. Andrew's head popped out. "He's gone."

"Thank you." She wiped her eyes.

"Just some friendly advice. It will get better, but the longer you stay mad the worse it will be." He offered a small smile. Lacy pulled herself out of her bed. She opened the door all the way, gripping onto Andrew's body. Her body started to break down into sobs. Andrew hugged her back, raking his hands through her hair. "It'll be okay." He told her.

He took her fragile body to the couch. She had curled up into his side sobbing. She cried until her body seemed to dry out of tears. Her eyes and lips were swollen, her face was covered in tears. This wasn't the first time she had felt heartbreak, never like this before though. She had been heartbroken when her father and her grandmother died, when her first dog died, but this was different she felt a lose worse than those. She felt worthless, angry, lost.

"I have to go." Andrew looked down at her.

"Andrew." She got a hum back in his response. "Can we be friends?" She looked up.

"Of corse we can." He hugged her a little tighter.

"Will you come over tomorrow?" He watched her big eyes, they were so desperate for companionship. He nodded again. "I'll see you tomorrow." She stood up making her way to the door. He followed, he didn't say anything back, just made his way down her stairs.

Lacy locked the door. She went to her room, she had so many memories with Benny in there. Her body felt so small in the bed by herself. Her body curled up, hugging herself into a tighter ball. Lacy had cried herself to sleep that night, she felt like she was never going to feel better.

-------

4917 words

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

39K 759 34
"Such a foolish reason I'm afraid, I just wanted to kiss you," she shrugged. Benny went quiet thinking for a second about his next move... She's just...
8.2K 193 15
A Young Benny Watts meets up with a beautiful girl with an infectious lust for life who goes simply by Angel. The Two Fall for each other quickly goi...
239K 7.2K 36
[COMPLETED]❞𝑪𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒊𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒑𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒗𝒆. 𝑪𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍.❞ Meeting someone as arrogan...
110K 4.7K 52
Almost a year after Russia, Beth Harmon returned to her bad habits. Drinking, smoking and ofcourse iridium. She pushed everyone away that she knew an...