The Child of Artemis

By SilverQuillsandRoses

It's been seven years since the War against Gaea and the Giants. The Argo ll crew has grown, and are ready fo... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilouge
Author's Note
PSA: the PJO Show

Chapter 16

572 20 0
By SilverQuillsandRoses

The room was lit by torches, but the flames only made the shadows worse, if possible. Stone statues of monsters lined the walls, silent guards who would never move. She wished the shadows would cover those. The shadows were everywhere. She could sense horrible things waiting in the darkness, creatures that would tear into her and devour her in seconds.

But none of this was as scary as him.

The Thief of the Flames.

Prometheus.

Her maker.

He sat on a golden throne, in the place least obscured by the dark. He radiated unholy power, the feeling sending waves of dread through her. His face was handsome and cruel at the same time, the face of a villain, a trickster, a con man.

He sat in silence, staring straight at her. Straight through her. His dark eyes reading her entirely.

Luna was almost great full for the the eagle when it entered. Clutched in its talons was a scroll. Her scroll.

The eagle dropped it in his lap, then landed on the back of his chair. Prometheus unrolled it, and a small, digital figure of Luna popped up.

"Lord Prometheus," her voice was bold and strong, stronger than she felt at the moment.

"I am Luna, daughter of Atlas and Artemis. I wish to serve you my Lord. It is the least I can do after you brought me into this world."

Prometheus raised an eyebrow but said nothing. The eagle snapped at tiny Luna with its beak.

"I await you, my Lord, at Mount Orthys. I am your servant forever." Tiny her bowed, then the image blinked out.

Prometheus sat back in his throne, a small smile playing at his face. Then, he spoke.

"Bring the goddess."

Luna gasped as one of the statues stepped away from the wall. It bowed to Prometheus, it's rocky skin cracking, before it turned, and marched away.

A moment later it returned, a silver cage in its bedrock arms. In the cave, a being was sitting on her knees, bleeding and bruised.

Artemis, goddess of the moon.

Mother.

The goddess raised her head, and Luna was startled to find that she looked no older then twelve. She glared at Prometheus, silver eyes flashing like stars. The look wasn't directed at her, but Luna shivered at the ferocity in her gaze.

Prometheus, however, simply laughed. He stood up, and went to Artemis.

"Your strength is almost gone, yet you fight until the end. Why not give up now? It would be so easy." His voice was calm and soothing, and Luna felt tempted to agree. But Artemis shook her head.

"A true huntress never gives up. Even when her prey is faster then the wind, or stronger then a bear." Artemis replied sharply. "She perseveres until the end, and receives her reward."

Prometheus rolled his eyes. He made a flicking gesture to the servant, who turned and carried the cage away.

"Take her to the carriage. I want her to be there when we meet her daughter."

Luna let out a yelp of surprise. Prometheus turned to her, and smiled. But the voice that echoed in the space wasn't his own.

"Luna. Luna wake up. We're here."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking back, Leo thought he should have been suspicious when the Phoenix asked him to wake up Luna.

She had been tired after tree jumping halfway across the United States (A feat Leo found incredible, and now owed Percy ten bucks for), and had ridden in the van when she felt tired. They had arrived at the mountain, and Azura had asked him to wake her up.

Leo reached over and whispered her name. A breeze stirred, blowing inky strands of hair across her face.

Nothing.

He snapped his fingers in front of her face.

Again, nothing.

Out of ideas and patience, he reached over and shook her.

That was a bad idea.

Luna shot upright, her eyes darting around like a startled animal. Her fingers latched unto his arm in a steel grip, and she twisted it. Hard. Leo let out a yelp of pain, before she realized it was only him. She let go with a muttered apology, before crawling out of the van.

They had stopped at the base of the mountain. It was a steep climb upward, and the sky was already growing dark. Everyone agreed it would be better to make camp and wait until tomorrow. This time, Leo was in charge of starting the fire, a task he was happy to complete. Soon, a bright orange blaze was eating away at the pile of wood.

Frank and Percy rolled up some logs around the fire, as Azura roasted some venison over the flames for them. Well, minus Piper. She had packed some sandwiches for herself and had those instead. It was interesting to watch how, in the mere course of a day, they had become allies. Trust was building between the demigods, Luna and the Phoenix.

"You know," Jason said as they gobbled down the deer meat. "I've been wondering about something." He turned to Luna, curious. "How did you know that I was a Son of Zeus?"

Luna raised an eyebrow. "Because you smell like one. Duh." The demigods stared at her. She stared back, unblinking. "What?"

"I'm sorry. Did you say I smelled like one?" Jason asked incredulously.

"Yes. Why?"

"Uh, Luna, demigods can't really... smell each other."

Luna frowned. "What do you mean you can't smell each other? You have stronger scents than anything!" She pointed to Piper. "Her scent is easily the strongest. Roses and perfume. Daughter of Aphrodite."

Piper groaned. "Of course."

"What do I smell like?" Leo asked.

"Motor oil and grease."

"Oh."

"Interesting." Annabeth murmured. "I wonder if you got that from you father."

"Weaving yarn and owl feathers plus an aura of intelligence makes you a Daughter of Athena." Luna said. "And he smells of salt water and fish. A son of Posideon."

"What about me?" Hazel asked. "And Frank?"

"You are earth and gems. Hadez, or Pluto since you are Roman. He is  sword metal and an aura of war. Mars I think."

Frank sighed. "That's what I get for being a child of war."

"At least you don't smell like a wet dog or something." Leo offered. Frank rolled his eyes.

"Wait. I've been told we smell like buttered bread. Is that true?" Percy asked.

Luna nodded. "From a distance, yes. But up close, you each have different smells. It's quite miraculous that no monster has attacked you yet, come to think of it."

"Oh. Cool." Percy finished off his meat and yawned. "Who wants to take first watch?"

"I will." Luna immediately volunteered. "I'm strongest at night anyway." There was no argument from the others as they turned in to their sleeping bags. Pyron and Azura transformed into fire birds and went to roost in the top of a nearby tree. Soon, the sounds of quiet, even breaths, and Leo's snores, filled the camp.

And Luna was alone.

She paced the encampment, trying to ignore the growing feeling of dread. Her dream from earlier had been real, that much she knew. But she had no idea for where Prometheus was, or how far away from the mountain he was. He could arrive in an hour, or in three days. And if he absorbed the last of Artemis's strength before he arrived, they could do nothing against his godly powers. People would get hurt.

Someone might die.

She wouldn't let that happen.

Luna checked to make sure her quiver was secure, then her daggers. Both were safe. She grabbed her bow from beside a log, and started for the mountain.

"I will convince Atlas myself. I will not let anyone get hurt."
~~~
Hey guys!

Hope your day is going well.

Any thoughts/ideas/comments in the chapter?

Don't forget to vote and follow.

Thanks!

Peace ✌️

-SilverQuillsandRoses

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 70 19
"i thought the plane was going down, how'd you turn it right around?" [Seven half-bloods shall answer the call. To storm or fire the world must fall...
108K 4.9K 80
𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝑭𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏 𝑨𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍 𝒔𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔..... 𝐀 𝐒𝐎𝐑𝐂𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐅𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐀 𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐒 𝐈𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐒𝐇𝐈�...
31.4K 941 49
Eliza's life turned upside down while on a field trip with her friends Piper, Leo, and Jason. Everything she thought she knew is called into question...
226 0 11
This mysterious new girl appears at Camp Half Blood just when a new prophecy is told by the oracle that someone very special is going on a quest to s...