Autophobia | H. POTTER [1]

By sectxmsemmpra

Abigail Lupin arrives at Hogwarts alongside Remus Lupin, her father who is also the newest Defense Against th... More

F A C E C L A I M S
P L A Y L I S T
M O O D B O A R D S
1 | fortuna major
2 | the sight
3 | riddikulus
5 | calming draught
6 | vengeful godfather
7 | alleged attempted murder
8 | scabbers
9 | the grim
10 | the truth
11 | firebolt
0 | second book

4 | eyes like the devil

164 6 10
By sectxmsemmpra

Abigail spent the majority of the remainder of the week avoiding people. News seemed to have spread like wildfire about the girl whose biggest fear was herself and she didn't really care to deal with the curious and intrusive whispers as she walked by. She had been avoiding her father as well because she knew he would be the one with the most questions and she honestly didn't have an answer to any of them.

"Are you sure you don't want to come, Abby?" Hermione asked as she looped the scarf around her throat. This weekend was the first Hogsmeade weekend and Abigail had opted out. "It'll be fun."

"No, I'm okay," Abigail answered honestly. "Really," she nodded upon seeing the look on the girl's face. "I'm not in the mood to go anywhere right now." Hermione frowned slightly, "Besides, I have a few more things homework wise I need to get done and I'd much rather not fall behind."

"Okay, well..." she trailed off for a moment. "We'll see you when you get back." Abigail nodded in agreement before the girl left the room and joined everyone else on the trip into Hogsmeade.

After Abigail finished up the remainder of her homework, she made her way down to the common room to read by the firs. Seeing as the entire house was either at Hogsmeade, in their room or outside enjoying the weather, she had the entire place to herself. At least she did for some time. "I thought you went with everyone else." Abigail jumped at the voice and looked up from her book to see that it was only Harry who seemed amused by her reaction. He smiled a little, "I didn't mean to scare you."

She shook her head and closed her book. "It's alright," she informed him, "You just surprised me is all. I didn't think anyone else would be coming in here for some time." Harry walked over and took a seat at the other end of the couch that Abigail sat in. She turned to face him, "I figured you'd be with Hermione and Ron."

"Can't," he replied, "My guardians never signed the permission slip."

"Oh," she frowned slightly. "I'm sorry." It didn't surprise her, however, assuming these were the same guardians that had him sleeping in a closet under stairs at some point in his life.

"I'm used to it," he shrugged. "Why didn't you go?"

"Wasn't in the mood," she answered before resting her head against the couch. "Guess I'm just not used to being around this many people all the time. It's kind of draining."

"I know the feeling." They both stayed silent for some time. Not the awkward, tension filled silence where everybody in the room wants to be anywhere else. But the kind of silence where you find comfort in the other person's company. "The other day, with the boggart..." Harry began cautiously, clearly uncertain as to how he should ask the question that had been sitting in the back of his mind since it had happened. He looked down at his hands and shook his head before looking back up at the girl, "If you ever want to talk about it...I'll listen."

Abigail smiled at this, "I appreciate that." She pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her head on them, "Same goes for you."

"Oliver told me you're joining the team as a Chaser?"

"Oh, yes," she nodded. "My father wanted me to become more involved with the school other than the required classes and make friends or whatever. He told me there was an open spot and I promised him I would at least try and get on the team. And well," she shrugged, "Here we are." She looked around for a moment, "Is he always so...uptight?"

Harry laughed at this, "You get used to it."

"Do you?" she inquired.

"No, not at all," he answered honestly and they both laughed.

"They ought to be getting back soon," she informed him after a moment, "If you wanted to go meet them?" Harry nodded and they both got up and made their way out of the common room through the portrait.

They stepped through and the portrait shut behind them. Harry kept walking but Abigail stopped, a chill running down her spine. She turned around slowly and her breath hitched in her throat when she saw that there were claw marks in the portrait and the fat lady was no longer there. "Harry," she said, trying to get his attention. She was so quiet that for a moment she thought she would have to repeat herself.

Harry turned around in confusion but stopped upon seeing what had the girl so worried. Abigail raised her hand and touched the claw marks, images flashing through her mind. The shaggy black dog. The rat. And what appeared to be an old, run down house of sorts. She looked around at the other paintings in the area and they were all staring at the destroyed portrait. Some were watching in shock while others were whispering to each other about what could have possibly happened.

A crowd of students began to form around the two as Abigail looked around. Ron and Hermione pushed their way through and approached the pair. "What's going on?" Ron asked before his sight fell on the portrait.

"Excuse me!" Percy shouted from the back as he forced his way through to the front of the group. "I'm Head Boy!" he reminded all of them. "Get back, all of you." Abigail remained transfixed on the painting. Harry placed his hand on her shoulder and she jumped slightly. She looked back in confusion and he nodded his head for her to follow him. "No one is to enter this dormitory until it's been searched," Percy ordered.

Abigail looked back up at the painting before looking back at Harry. She saw Hermione and Ron standing behind him and she opened her mouth to say someone but a younger Gryffindor's exclamation cut her short. "The Fat Lady!" they shouted. "She's gone!"

"Serves her right," Ron pointed out, "She was a terrible singer."

Abigail looked around again, trying to figure out what was bothering her. "It's not funny, Ron," Hermione scolded the boy.

"Abigail?" Harry spoke up, "What is it?"

She looked back at the boy with a frown. "Keep calm, everyone," Percy shouted over the crowd, "Back to your common room."

"Make way," Filch ordered. "The Headmaster's here." Most of the students remained put and Filch grew irritated, "Come on, move. Move!"

Abigail's head shot up and Harry watched her in confusion. She made her way up the stairs and Harry followed after her as she observed the paintings. It took Hermione and Ron a moment to realize they had walked away but they quickly caught up, watching her curiously.

"Round up the ghosts," Dumbledore informed Filch, "Tell them to search every painting in the castle to find the Fat Lady."

Abigail came to an abrupt stop causing Harry to run right into her. Hermione and Ron were quick enough to stop themselves as Abigail turned to face the painting next to her. "There's no need for ghosts, Headmaster," she informed them. Dumbledore looked up to where the girl stood and she pointed up at the painting, "The Fat Lady's here." Hermione, Ron and Harry all exchanged confused looks.

There was some scuffling and shouting before Dumbledore managed to make his way to where the girl stood in front of the painting. "Dear lady, who did this to you?"

The Fat Lady shook with fear as she spoke, "Eyes like the devil, he's got, and a soul as dark as his name. It's him, Headmaster. The one they all talk about. He's here, somewhere in the castle!" Abigail felt all the color drain from her face as the other students exchanged confused looks. The lady looked around before adding, "Sirius Black!

"Secure the castle, Mr. Filch," Dumbledore demanded immediately. He turned around to face the crowd of students, "The rest of you, to the Great Hall!"

He began to walk off but Abigail quickly shouted after him, "Professor Dumbledore!" She caught up with him after a moment and he turned around and looked at her with a curious expression. "My father, is he-"

"Your father is fine," he nodded before looking over at where Ron, Harry and Hermione were watching. "I believe your friends are waiting for you."

Abigail made her way over to where the three were and when she caught up to them they made their way to the Great Hall, whispering quietly to themselves. "Do you think he's here for you, Harry?" Ron asked.

"Don't be silly Ron," Hermione shook her head. "We don't know that he's here for him, you're just assuming." It was clear from the look on the girl's face that she didn't buy it. "Besides," she shrugged, "He could have easily killed him already if he had felt so inclined."

Harry ignored his two bickering friends and his attention was on Abigail who had her head down and arms crossed over her chest as she walked toward the Great Hall. She looked up and noticed Harry watching her with a curious expression and she simply shook her head. She knew what he wanted to ask her and she honestly had no idea. She didn't know how she knew something was off or even how she knew which portrait to stop at.

Once they entered the Great Hall, the students were split up and sent to their assigned spot. Abigail sat up with her back against the wall as her classmates dozed off.

"I've searched the Astronomy Tower and the Owlery, sir," Filch announced as he approached the Headmaster. "But there's nothing there."

"Ah, thank you," Dumbledore nodded.

"The third floor is clear too, sir."

"Very good."

"I've done the dungeons, Headmaster," Snape spoke up as he joined them. "No sign of Black, nor anywhere else in the castle."

"I didn't really expect him to linger."

"Remarkable feat, don't you think?" Snape inquired. "To enter Hogwarts Castle on one's own, completely undetected?"

"Quite remarkable, yes."

"Any theories on how he managed it?"

"Many," Dumbledore confirmed. "Each as unlikely as the next."

"You may recall prior to the start of term, I expressed concerns about your appointment of Professor-"

"Not a single professor inside this castle would help Sirius Black enter it," Dumbledore pointed out. "I'm quite convinced the castle is safe and I'm more than willing to send the students to their houses."

"What about Potter?" Snape asked. "Should he be warned?"

"Perhaps," Dumbledore agreed. "But for now, let him sleep. For in dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own." He looked down at the boy as he continued, "Let them swim in the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud."

A distant howl could be heard and Abigail looked over at the window that was closest to where she sat. The girl frowned as she looked up at the full moon shining through on full view.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 43 12
Abigail Lupin returns to Hogwarts with her friends Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. Abigail dreams are plagued with events and she can...
1K 31 12
Entering her fifth year at Hogwarts, Abigail has more on her plate than ever before. Between the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher who hates...
18.4K 483 17
Jane Lupin grew up with a loving father in a comfortable nice home with fantastic friends and went to the greatest school for witchcraft and wizardry...
70.9K 2.1K 53
"Be a good girl and listen" his voice was cold yet demanding and dominate "Y-Yes" I felt my breath hitch as I suddenly felt small Her name is Syden...