4 | eyes like the devil

Abigail spent the majority of the remainder of the week avoiding people. News seemed to have spread like wildfire about the girl whose biggest fear was herself and she didn't really care to deal with the curious and intrusive whispers as she walked by. She had been avoiding her father as well because she knew he would be the one with the most questions and she honestly didn't have an answer to any of them.

"Are you sure you don't want to come, Abby?" Hermione asked as she looped the scarf around her throat. This weekend was the first Hogsmeade weekend and Abigail had opted out. "It'll be fun."

"No, I'm okay," Abigail answered honestly. "Really," she nodded upon seeing the look on the girl's face. "I'm not in the mood to go anywhere right now." Hermione frowned slightly, "Besides, I have a few more things homework wise I need to get done and I'd much rather not fall behind."

"Okay, well..." she trailed off for a moment. "We'll see you when you get back." Abigail nodded in agreement before the girl left the room and joined everyone else on the trip into Hogsmeade.

After Abigail finished up the remainder of her homework, she made her way down to the common room to read by the firs. Seeing as the entire house was either at Hogsmeade, in their room or outside enjoying the weather, she had the entire place to herself. At least she did for some time. "I thought you went with everyone else." Abigail jumped at the voice and looked up from her book to see that it was only Harry who seemed amused by her reaction. He smiled a little, "I didn't mean to scare you."

She shook her head and closed her book. "It's alright," she informed him, "You just surprised me is all. I didn't think anyone else would be coming in here for some time." Harry walked over and took a seat at the other end of the couch that Abigail sat in. She turned to face him, "I figured you'd be with Hermione and Ron."

"Can't," he replied, "My guardians never signed the permission slip."

"Oh," she frowned slightly. "I'm sorry." It didn't surprise her, however, assuming these were the same guardians that had him sleeping in a closet under stairs at some point in his life.

"I'm used to it," he shrugged. "Why didn't you go?"

"Wasn't in the mood," she answered before resting her head against the couch. "Guess I'm just not used to being around this many people all the time. It's kind of draining."

"I know the feeling." They both stayed silent for some time. Not the awkward, tension filled silence where everybody in the room wants to be anywhere else. But the kind of silence where you find comfort in the other person's company. "The other day, with the boggart..." Harry began cautiously, clearly uncertain as to how he should ask the question that had been sitting in the back of his mind since it had happened. He looked down at his hands and shook his head before looking back up at the girl, "If you ever want to talk about it...I'll listen."

Abigail smiled at this, "I appreciate that." She pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her head on them, "Same goes for you."

"Oliver told me you're joining the team as a Chaser?"

"Oh, yes," she nodded. "My father wanted me to become more involved with the school other than the required classes and make friends or whatever. He told me there was an open spot and I promised him I would at least try and get on the team. And well," she shrugged, "Here we are." She looked around for a moment, "Is he always so...uptight?"

Harry laughed at this, "You get used to it."

"Do you?" she inquired.

"No, not at all," he answered honestly and they both laughed.

"They ought to be getting back soon," she informed him after a moment, "If you wanted to go meet them?" Harry nodded and they both got up and made their way out of the common room through the portrait.