Just Me and You

By soccerfanatic2

There's a new girl in town - yet she isn't a soccer player. At least not anymore. Her name is Alexis, but eve... More

Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 5

3.4K 81 8
By soccerfanatic2

Lexi's POV

"Woah that was a huge splash! You got me wet all the way over here," I say with a smile looking at Pia wade in the pool.

"How much longer do I have mommy until Kristie gets here? I can't wait to see her!"

"You have about an hour and then we have to head inside okay?"

I don't think she heard my last few words as her head has disappeared under water. She swims around the pool doing jumps here and there, as I lay out soaking up the sun. My skin burns a little, telling me the color of my skin is getting darker.

The best part of Houston - sun all year round.

My phone rings, which catches me off guard. I jump a little in my chair before looking at the caller ID. Seeing it's the hospital I start to panic.

"Hello, lexi speaking."

"Hey Lexi, it's Jody."

Knowing the call is coming from the ICU, I start to panic. I wouldn't be getting a call on my day off.

"What's wrong, what's happening?"

"It's Leo, the little boy you've been taking care of the past month. He took a turn for the worst over night, we just got him stabilized. Dr. Choi says he probably won't make it through the night. Him and his dad are asking for you to be here. I know you're probably busy but-"

"Don't say that. I'm on my way. I just have to find someone to watch Pia."

Ending the call quickly, I start to hyperventilate thinking of the little boy holding on for dear life at the hospital. I have been there since his first day in the ICU, immediately drawn to him. After my first day, his dad requested I was always by his side when I work. His cancer has increasingly gotten work over the last week, and he's been on and off a ventilator all month. Today he's on his last straw, and being by his side is the most important thing to me.

Closing my eyes, I take a deep breathe and settle myself before putting my phone to my ear.

"Hello?" Ella says on the other line.

"Ella, I need a huge favor. You know I hate asking you to work on my off days, but I'm desperate. This little boy I've cared for for over a month is on his last day, maybe even his last hours. He's asking that I be there with him. I'm down at the pool right now, can I drop Ella off by your apartment?"

"I'll run and grab your keys and purse and I'll be down in five minutes. Ben was wanting to go to the pool today anyway. I don't mind at all, see you soon."

Before I can even respond, she's hung up on me and I lean back into my chair.

"Pia, come here for a minute."

"But mommy I'm having so much fun!"

"Baby please okay? It'll be quick."

She runs toward me in her wet bathing suit that's clinging to her body and I hold out the towel in front of me as she runs into my arms. Wrapping her in a hug, I hold her and let a couple of tears slip from my eyes. Leo is the same age as Pia, and I could never imagine losing her to something so serious.

Before I can even grasp what's happening, Pia is out of my arms and her and Ben are running toward the pool. Ella is sat in front of me, her hands holding mine.

"Wipe those tears away, Leo doesn't want to see those. He wants to see that beautiful smile of yours."

Looking up at her, I pull her into a hug before standing up.

"I'll call Kristie and have her come and grab Pia from you when she gets home. She should be home within the next few hours. Pia and I were supposed to pick her up but Jane can bring her home, or another teammate I'm sure. Let me know if you need anything or if Pia causes you any trouble."

Not waiting for her response, I'm jogging toward the parking lot on the other side of the building.

Jumping in my car, I'm amazed by how slow time went. I drove aimlessly, not even sure how I made it to my destination. As I hit the city traffic, it takes all I have in me not to scream. As the light turns green, I weave in and out of cars before making a sharp left turn into the employee parking lot. Finding the first spot I can, I jog up toward the front entrance, scan my badge at the front desk, and making a bee line for the elevator.

As I wait to ascend the eight floors, I finally send Kristie a text.

Hey, I'm at the hospital. One of my patients is on his last day and wanted me to be by his side. Little Leo, the boy I told you about. Pia is with Ella, I'm sure you're exhausted but if you wouldn't mind grabbing her on your way to your apartment. I'm not sure what time I'll be home, but I'll be back in the morning in time for school. Love you, see you soon ❤️

As the elevators open, I step onto the floor and take a deep breath. Pocketing my phone after turning it on do not disturb, I make my way to room 8106.

Six is Leo's lucky number, his baseball number, and the date of his birthday. When I found this out, I immediately had him moved there. To bring him luck - and thankfully it's brought him this long of a journey that Dr. Choi didn't even believe would last a week.

Waving at Jody as I walk by, I slide open the glass door to Leo's room to see him sound asleep, with his dad by his side. As his dad, Mark, hears the click, he immediately looks my way with a tear stained face.

Walking over to him, I pull him up into my arms and let him cry into my shoulder. Rubbing his back I whisper soothing and comforting words, hoping they're the right ones. Finally sitting down on the couch he holds my hand as we both stare at Leo.

"You know you were his favorite nurse. He would count down the days until the next shift you were here. I think it's really what kept him going."

"I think you being by his side definitely helped. He talks about you a lot you know, you're his hero."

"Well you, my Lexi," he says as he squeezes my hand and looks toward me. "Are Leo and my hero. I could not have gotten through this month without you. And knowing you're here for his last hours warms my heart."

Wiping away the fallen tear, I pull him into a hug before hearing a stir in the bed. Quickly composing myself, I sit down next to Leo.

"Hey my little superstar, I've missed you since yesterday."

"I'm dying Ms. Lexi, aren't I? I heard Dr. Choi earlier."

Looking toward his dad who has a sad smile on his face, I know it's okay for me to continue as he gives me a small nod.

"Well bud, you are. And of course it's sad and scary and I'm sure you might be in some pain, but I'm going to do everything in my power to stay holding your hand all day and all night."

He pulls me into a hug, and whispers in my ear, breaking my heart.

"Will you watch after my daddy for me? I don't want him to be alone."

"Of course I will, and you better watch over daddy and me. Right?"

"I'm gonna be an angel baseball player."

"The BEST angel baseball player there ever was."

We talk some more, his words getting slower as the minutes and hours go by. His dad is now next to us, each of us holding a hand and laughing through Leo's funny stories. Dr. Choi has stopped in a couple of times, but the rest of the nurses have let us be.

And finally, at 2:23am, I feel Leo's hand go limp in mine. He becomes cold and his dad breaks down beside me. His peaceful body lays underneath his father who is holding him, and whispering 'I love you' over and over.

Stepping out of the room to give him some time, the night nurse AJ looks on with a sad expression, the other nurse Leo grew attached to. AJ and I often would keep each other in the loop on Leo's condition, him and I sharing almost the same schedule. And as I walk toward him, he pulls me into a hug.

"Our baseball boy is gone," he says to me as he pulls away and looks me in the eye. "But he'll always be right here," he says placing my hand over my heart.

——————————

Stepping into my quiet apartment, the glow of the TV is shining from the living room. Tossing my shoes and wallet to the side, I hang up my keys before heading to the kitchen. Taking a long sip of water, I then make my way into the living room.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is on, and Pia is asleep on Kristie's chest who is laying on the couch. Peeling Pia off of Kristie's frame, I pick up the five year old and carry her to her room. Before putting her to bed, I sit in the corner chair and just hold her. My baby is in my arms, and she's safe and healthy. And that's what brings me to tears.

I silently cry for a little while, until the door is slowly opened. The hallway light peers inside and Kristie walks toward me. Lifting Pia off of me, she lays her down in bed and covers her softly, before grabbing my hand and bringing me to my room.

I sit there stunned with tears running down my face as she undresses me and places my pajamas on my shaking frame. Pulling me down next to her, she throws the blankets over us before placing my head on her chest.

"I love you baby, let it all out."

I fall asleep listening to Kristie's heart, dreaming of baseball that whole night.

—————————

Enjoy!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.7K 796 23
Jenn Mckenzie loves her job as a nurse on the busy ward 36, and loves the fun times she has with her friends but is severely dissatisfied with her lo...
508K 13.3K 21
Keri and Maia are complete strangers yet go to the same school. Maia is the captain of the Girls' Soccer team whereas Keri is the former Cheerleader...
292K 10.3K 46
This isn't your typical nerdy girl falls in love with the jock book ... what happens when you put bad with new? Meet Lexi Reed, the 18 year old rebel...
924 0 47
1 month after the events of Goal! The Third Chapter! Maire who is known as "Five" from the USWNT and "Zero" from her international soccer teammates...