Cosplay Shenanigans

By Tara676

Since he was young, Abel Eastwood had been a diehard fan of cosplaying characters from various TV shows and m... More

introduction
0 - of encounters and eye contact
1 - of control freaks and special attacks
2 - of cynical douchebag and closeted weeb
3 - of punchable look and violet eyes
4 - of cocky detective and princess charming
5 - of ulterior motives and first challenge
6 - of setting sun and poker chip
8 - of dying walrus and miserable liar
9 - of baby dumplings and phone numbers
10 - of hottie noodles and silent breathing
11 - of friendship plans and basement dwellers
12 - of masterpiece and huge confidence
13 - of first impression and misunderstandings
14 - of night walks and burning star
15 - of rabbit hole and pandemonium
16 - of bigger person and timbits
17 - of math exam and show off
18 - of morning exercise and nicknames
19 - of repeated offender and stupid loser

7 - of tiniest smiles and screaming parents

298 12 432
By Tara676

Adrian insisted on accompanying Charlotte home, so their departure had Mairi and Abel lost in their respective minds, leaving only the roars of the train to escort them.

Right now, all he wanted to do was to rest his eyes, but they decided to find appeal in Mairi's mini performance with her poker chip. Not even diverting his gaze stopped him from watching her.

Moreover, the suffocating silence slowly clenched his insides, as if it was forcing him to say something. No matter how much he tried sealing his lips, they gradually opened up against his will, trying to produce a word. Seriously, there's nothing to talk about. Why the hell am I feeling so pushed...?

"So, what stop are you getting off at?" Welp, in the end, there was no point fighting against curiosity. What a waste of energy.

"Braid. Right after this," announced Mairi, which pulled Abel's attention even more. Oh, that's where I usually get off for school...

When the train eventually reached her station, the veteran crossdresser sprang up and straight for the door before Abel could make a comment. She neither spared him a glance nor did she speak out, like she was downright ignoring him. Of course she's gonna act like that. Heh, after all, why am I building my hopes on her? She's just gonna ghost me like...

All of his thoughts quickly vanished into nothingness when Mairi suddenly turned on her heels. "See ya," she muttered loudly, barely taking seconds to further stump him. So she did acknowledge me...

It wasn't only her words that he managed to register, but also the tiniest details of her farewell. At first glimpse, Mairi's wooden expression refused to slightly budge, but upon closer inspection, her face... it didn't look so blank anymore.

Literal stars glittered in her purple eyes. Her sharp features loosened up as she showed him... one of the tiniest smiles he had ever seen. Her voice didn't sound so flat anymore, like there was at least effort put into it. And at that same moment, Abel was sure he wasn't hallucinating, because it was too realistic to be a product of his imagination.

This was the same Mairi he had known for years. She was that famous cosplayer who probably never learned how to smile, and whom Abel always vowed to maintain his distance. Why did it seem that someone like her was hoping to see him again? What the fuck is this? The end of the world?

Even as Abel walked back home, memories of Mairi's little scene at the train continued playing in his vision. His heart would then hop and thump hard against his ribs while a tingling sensation pricked his guts. Maybe, this was why he kept stopping in his tracks and stared down at his hands.

That damn Princess Charming. She seriously lived up to her character.

Wait... what am I thinking?! Abel furiously shook her head and smacked his temples. His body grew unusually hot as he hurled all of those lunatic thoughts away and straightened himself up. No, I can't be like this. I'm not getting swayed by her.

One fact he almost forgot: Mairi was his rival nonetheless, and she had thoroughly torn him apart during the cosplay showcase. She even bombarded him with stupid compliments so that she could lower his guard and carry out her schemes. It was clear she already deduced a plan to further reduce his dignity to oblivion.

She shouldn't be underestimated at all costs.

She might be clever, but the next time we meet, I won't fall for her tricks. Abel pondered, narrowing his eyes. I've got to outsmart her somehow... but then I've to see what she's really like.

While submerging within his mind, he eventually arrived back home — the place where the looming dread patiently waited for his return. Just looking at the house induced unwanted memories, stirring his urges to turn around and never look back. And now... I have to deal with this shit.

With a profound sigh, he slipped inside, but the barking noises of his beloved boy promptly eased every inch of his muscles and smothered the flickering fire inside of him. He tore into a huge grin as the ball of fluff practically catapulted itself towards him, its tail madly beating side to side. Oh Rocky, what did I do to deserve your love?

"Hi Rocky, guess who's back!" Abel's pitch went a notch as he wrapped the jumping dog within his embrace, sinking his face between its furs. Rocky yapped, clearly replying to his statement while its owner caressed its downy body everywhere. "Oh yes, it's me!" He chuckled. "Yes, I missed you too, baby! I know you've been a good boy! I love you!"

The border collie lapped him, pawing everywhere it could touch. God, how I keep on wishing I could hold him like this forever. Rocky and I would have made an awesome combo. Such a sweet child.

After spending time with his precious brother — and the only brother Abel would ever recognize — he swallowed his breath and slithered to the living room. His parents were last seen chilling on the couch, but now they had completely disappeared into thin air. Huh, guess they're preoccupied with their so-called jobs.

Well, that explained the tranquility settling in the house. Also, their lack of presence sent huge waves of relief through his veins. Good. I don't wanna see their faces. That asshole better tag along with them too.

A plate of stir-fried noodles sat on the dining table, wrapped with plastic as a Post-It note was stuck to the side.

I microwaved it so it should be warm by the time you get home. Remember to pray.

Love, Mom

Abel sneered and plopped to his chair, shoving the small paper into his suit. Yanking the plastic away, he squeezed his eyes shut and muttered incorrigible words before he devoured the noodles. For the time being, Rocky wandered around the table and ended up sitting down next to its owner.

In all honesty, his family might be obnoxious to the bone, but Mom... She was the most tolerable. Yes, she could be equally overbearing, but only regarding ancient etiquettes and reminders. She rarely took part in the research of comparing him and that Jethro jerk... even though she never once defended him. I guess she's okay. I can handle those. Moms are always like that.

Moms, huh... Munching on his soggy — at least it was edible — noodles, Abel tapped his finger. Speaking of which, that poker chip Mairi has is from her mother. Wonder why she would give her a casino token...

"It was like some sort of a gift."

Mairi's explanation never... satisfied his curiosity in the slightest. If he didn't control himself and shut himself up, he would have straight up interrogated her to no end. Well, it wasn't even his business to begin with; being a nosy person was never present in his dictionary. It didn't concern him.

But, I just can't shake that feeling off... I don't even know why I'm that... concerned about her in the first place. Abel was about to have a huge bite, but he precipitously froze in his tracks at the passing thought. He lowered his fork down, gazing at the noodles.

Ah, damn this. He snorted before he shoved some of the food into his mouth. I might need to watch some anime tonight...

***

Just like always, the cosplay convention was such a huge breath of fresh air. For Mairi Cabanila, it was a definite getaway from the strangling atmosphere that had been occupying her home. She didn't have to see Mama wandering around aimlessly and Papa wasting his soul away with his work.

Most importantly, she had also saved her eardrums from constantly being tortured by her screaming parents. They never bothered searching for a solution and sorting themselves out whenever they were together. It was like they were unaware of what being civil meant, and it didn't matter how much Mairi had taught them.

Gingerly entering her home, the door squeaked hard, followed by the creaking floorboards bouncing off the walls. They were fortunately the only noises she could hear, as the piercing, explicit conversations of her parents were no longer present, so her shoulders slumped as she exhaled quietly. This is the peace that I really needed.

Papa was all alone — thank the heavens — in the living room. Even from when she left, he still had his fatigued gaze affixed to his laptop screen, while his fingers punched the keyboard buttons. He was too absorbed with whatever he was doing; he didn't seem to detect Mairi's crystal clear footsteps until she was merely a meter away from him.

"Ah, Mai, you home," Papa greeted with a lopsided smile. "I've just cooked some chicken adobo and rice on the table, so they should still be hot."

"Thanks Pa," Mairi whispered as she leered at the steaming chicken. "Where's Ma?"

Papa's expression darkened as he scorned derisively. "In the casino or bar, probably? Not caring for her family back here as usual. How about you, how's your day at the convention? Did your cosplay manage to blow up?" he questioned, deflecting the original topic in a heartbeat.

No one could blame him though. Mom always vanished until the clock struck midnight, scrapping out every single problem from her hands. She would then show up staggering on her feet while mumbling vague comments. The depiction had Mairi clenching the poker chip inside her pocket.

"Yeah." She nodded, a little too fast. "I won the showcase too. It was fun."

"Wah, so good for you!" Papa laughed, albeit sounding so forced. "You deserved it. You always made your costumes by yourself."

Mairi hummed. "Also, I made friends with a guy called Abel. He's hilarious."

"Abel? Ah, like Cain and Abel?" Papa finally looked up, his exasperated face fairly brightened. Crinkling his nose made his fragile smile much more visible. "I'm so happy you got yourself a cosplay friend. Bet he's a humble boy like in the story."

"Not really, but I still like him." Mairi's limbs somewhat lightened. "He's a nice guy."

Aside from the acquaintance from high school and a few longtime fans, she avoided interactions with people at her convention. None of the cosplayers sparked her interest — she barely recalled their names — until that dude showed off his high confidence... as well as his massive ego.

She effortlessly defeated him of course, but the sheer determination engraved his face was something she would never forget. She remembered that burning blue eyes of his as he continued challenging her despite everything. It's cute to see.

Her complaining belly subsequently disturbed her musing. She subsequently went to the bathroom, but she allowed herself to relish on all those flashbacks once more.

Well, Abel never failed to reel in her attention, even before they gradually talked. She had seen this dude in every convention, never missing one at all. He always had a perpetual smirk as he held his head up high, brimming with pride. He had cosplayed countless characters Mairi undoubtedly knew, especially that detective Kaito today.

With their egos larger than the entire mass of Canada, those two were total doppelgängers. These types of people would usually suck up every compliment, so she gave this a try. Instead, Abel's cheeks flushed pink as he got all flustered. Exactly like Kaito when Midori applauded him.

Despite his self-centered tendencies, an unknown force pulled her towards him. Even if she had yet to uncover more about that dude aside from his cosplays, her instincts felt the need to unravel more about him. In the end, asking for his friendship after his great debacle surely wasn't the wrong move.

As the cold water pierced against her hands, Mairi peered up at the mirror, coming across her own muddy eyes and her... overall image. Her stomach heaved at the glaring blotches and scars adorning her skin, and she flinched at her thinning brows. No matter how much foundation, concealer and brow pencil she had excessively applied, they continued latching on her like vengeful ghosts.

Look at you. A tiny voice snickered in such a degrading demeanor. Even if you tried hiding behind your makeup and colored contact lens, you will forever remain hideous.

Stepping back, Mairi abruptly shut the sink and marched out of the bathroom. She didn't need to have her reflection hanging around her. She had to chuck those repulsive traits out of her sight. She was supposed to be Princess Charming, not some ugly ogre.

Confidence, Mairi.

It's all about confidence.

You were just caught off guard.

Well, at least the real Mairi wasn't what people actually saw. If only she could throw that side of her to the trash, she would have done that a long time ago.

I hate myself.

I really, really hate myself.

But this isn't the time to think about that. Hauling herself back to reality, Mairi shifted towards Papa, whose dinner was left untouched and sat quietly in the cold. Taking breaks never existed for him and as a result, his sagging eye bags were clear as day and his body was growing... thinner and thinner. It looked like he was about to drop dead.

"Pa. You need to eat," she nudged him. "Let's have dinner together."

"It's okay, Mai. I need to finish this first, then I can join you later," he argued.

"But you've been doing your work for the entire day."

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine!" He was firm with his statement.

Papa... seriously exerted on himself too much. Even if he was stripped off his energy, he would just push himself beyond his limits. Mama should have helped him too, but she was more fascinated in moping around, squandering their money and never batting an eye, even if they were in a pinch.

Papa had denounced her habits, but they ended up raising their voices and switching to their mother languages. In the midst of their vocal battle, Mairi managed to catch some Tagalog and Spanish phrases that weren't so pretty.

"Pa, really... you need to sto-"

"I'm fine, Mai. I'll figure this mess out on my own," interrupted Papa. "You should do whatever makes you happy. You love making costumes and cosplaying, right? You should just focus on that," he went on. "Just remember... I'm there for you."

Mairi's appetite suddenly diminished as she nearly lost her grip on her spoon and fork. Papa's gruff voice... was like a thousand knives continuously jabbing her heart, and it only doubled the moment he showered her with his support. Isn't he gonna realize the condition he's in?

And so, the next thing she did was to pull out the poker chip and shoot daggers at it as if it could do something to save Papa.

***

A/N: Thanks for reading! I'm going back to university this week, so updates are gonna be late and irregular :') Hope you enjoyed this chapter and have a safe week!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 534 36
[Genre: Romance, Drama, unrequited Love] Diana's best friend, her unrequited crush, is getting married soon. As she's heartbroken watching the new co...
2.6M 70.7K 49
COMPLETED BUT EDITING ~~~~šŸŒø~~~~ "Look who joined us boys. If it isn't the GG herself." I rolled my eyes and taped my hands as one of the annoying j...
154K 5.5K 58
š’šØš©š”š¢šš š‚š„ššš«š¤ is smart, quiet, shy and beautiful. She joined crystal high sophomore year and soon won the hearts of all teachers with her...
84 7 7
"AxoVolt. You can call me AxoVolt" "AxoVolt, huh? I like the costume, it's purr-ty. What are you supposed to be?" "Um, myself" "Yourself?" "I'm a her...