Engaged

By MJH024

The Howard's and the Chapman's are the two richest and most influential families in the world. After gangs a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Parents POV (before the engagement)
Parents POV (at the end)

Chapter 3

4K 107 7
By MJH024

Lainey walked down the stairs and into the living room ten minutes after she was supposed to. She was ready before then, but she didn't want to go down any sooner than she had to and then accidentally lost track of time.

Lainey was wearing a white, tight fitting sequin dress that stopped a little above her mid-thigh and had long sleeves that were looser than the rest of the dress. She had on silver earrings that hung down just a little and had diamonds on the ends, a diamond Rolex on one wrist and a diamond tennis bracelet on the other, and sparkly silver stilettos to match.

Her parents were down stairs waiting. Her dad, John, was in black slacks, baby blue button down with white pinstripes, a white tie, and a black Rolex. Her mom, Sarah, was in a white pencil skirt that stopped just above her knees, a black loose fitted blouse that was tucked into her skirt, a gold necklace and bracelets on both wrists to match, and shiny black stiletto heels.

"It's not polite to be late, daughter." John said.

"Let's just get this over with." Lainey said walking down the stairs.

"You look great honey" her mom said trying to ease the tension in the room between her daughter and her husband.

"Don't think it's for anyone but myself. I still don't want to go."

"But, you're still going to be respectful tonight, correct." John stated more than asked.

"Yes, I promise not to cause a scene."

"That's all I ask for." he said holding his arm out for his wife. "Shall we?"

They got in the limo and started off towards their destination. Lainey still didn't know where they were going.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see" John said.

The rest of the drive was silent. Lainey sat and messed around on her phone while her parents sat and sipped on the complimentary champagne. Almost an hour later they arrived at their destination.

Lainey finally looked up from her phone once they had stopped and saw the most beautiful house she'd ever seen. It was smaller than the one her parents owned, but it was still way bigger than the average house. It had two garages connected to the house, one on each side, that stuck out the front. The walk way was made of multicolored dark bricks that offset the tans, browns, and blacks of the house beautifully.

"Where are we?" Lainey asked as she stood in awe in front of the house.

"Do you like it?" John asked, again avoiding Lainey's actual question.

"Like it? It's beautiful, but I know this isn't the Chapman's house, so who's house is it? "

John and Sarah looked at each other knowingly and just stayed silent on the topic. "Come on, honey" her mom said as she put a hand on Lainey's lower back to guide her forward. "We're already late for dinner."

They made their way inside to find the Chapman's already sitting there waiting. "Bill, Monica" John called as they came into view. "Nice to see you again" he said reaching across the table to shake Bill's hand. "So sorry we are running a little late, something came up at the office." He said covering up for his daughter's tardiness.

Lainey walked in behind her parents and was immediately caught off guard by not only the beautiful décor or amazing feast set out for them, but by the jaw-dropping brown haired beauty sitting next to Monica.

Peyton was wearing a black lace dress that was strapless, tight fitting, and stopped half way down her thighs. Peyton had on black diamond earrings that dangled slightly and a diamond encrusted Rolex. Both of the girls were stunned by the beauty of the other.

"Lainey, dear, have a seat please." Her mom said from the table. Lainey hadn't realized that she was still standing in the doorway of the room. She broke her gaze away from Peyton, who never took her eyes off Lainey, and moved to sit next to her mother.

"Lainey doesn't Peyton look wonderful tonight?" John asked.

Lainey came back to her senses completely at the sound of her father's words. "Third best in the room only to her mother and myself." Lainey joked trying to deflect from the fact that she was blushing from Peyton's gaze that had yet to leave her.

"What a charmer!" Monica exclaimed.

Peyton scoffed and said "Please, I managed to not only be on time but show up a little early and I still look better than you." She said the last part flipping her hair.

"Peyton" Bill scolded. "What did we discuss?" He grumbled to her.

"Yes sir" she said to him before turning to Lainey and plastering on a fake smile and used a voice she knew for sure Lainey would be able to tell was fake. "You look out of this world."

Lainey rolled her eyes and shot back a smile that was just as fake.

"Lainey, aren't you going to thank Peyton for the compliment." her mother asked.

"No" her mother scolded her with her eyes. "Fine, thank you so much for your heartfelt compliment." Lainey said in the same fake tone Peyton had used moments ago.

"Look at that!" Monica exclaimed. "You girls are getting along so well already!"

The rest of dinner was tense. Neither Lainey nor Peyton could keep their eyes off one another, but would look away or make a face of disgust any time they caught each other looking. After everyone was done eating John took the chance to speak to the group.

John cleared his throat getting the attention of everyone. "I just wanted to thank everyone for being here tonight, especially the girls, I know this isn't exactly how you wanted to spend your evening. Now, Bill and I actually have some news for the two of you."

Peyton looked to her dad with a confused face and Bill stood up. "John and I have spent a lot of time and put a lot of resources into making this transition as easy as possible for everyone involved. We only want what's best for our daughters. We even bought you two your first house together."

"What?!" Lainey exclaimed looking at her father. "You two did what now? I'm not living with her?! I agreed to the engagement after you threatened to send me off, but living with her? No, I draw the line. There isn't a house big enough to be far enough away from her."

"Lainey! You two are engaged, do you really think people are going to buy it if you don't at least live together?"

"I don't care if people believe it. Can't it just be done and we move on with our lives."

"No, Lainey we must look united. Plus you loved this house when we first pulled up, and now all the sudden it's not good enough for you?"

"Lainey, this is no way to talk about your future wife! Apologize this instance." Sarah interrupted.

"Actually I agree with Lainey on this one. I don't even want to be neighbors with her let alone live under the same roof." Peyton said to everyone.

"Peyton! What did we discuss?!" Bill scolded.

"You threatened me not to fight the engagement. You didn't say anything about living with her! That isn't fair. You can't just spring this on me."

"Peyton Lynn Chapman" Bill said through gritted teeth "The same stipulations apply. Don't test me, you know I will follow through."

"You're the worst! I didn't even pack before we left." Peyton said.

"John and I had all of you girls' stuff packed and brought here over dinner so that you could both move in tonight. We-"

"YOU DID WHAT!" Peyton and Lainey exclaimed at the same time.

"We had your stuff moved in so that you girls could move in as soon as possible." John said.

"Mom! Are you really ok with this?" Lainey yelled

"Considering the situation I do believe that this is the best course of action."

"You are spineless!" Lainey yelled at her mother "You never stand up for what I want when it goes against him, let alone fucking give me a warning?!"

"Lainey, honey, I-"

"NO MOM!" Lainey interrupted. "I'm done. You know what fine you guys win I'll move in. Not because you want me to or because it would look good for you or this little charade you're putting on, but because I can't stand to go home with EITHER OF YOU!" Lainey stomped up the stairs. She didn't really know where she was going considering she had never been in the house before, but she knew she didn't want to stay in the same room as her parents for a moment longer.

"Peyton we are so sorry for Lainey's behavior toni-"

"No." Peyton interrupted Sarah. "Don't apologize because she said everything I've wanted to all night. I hate this plan just as much as she does, and I don't want to stand here with any of you any longer either." Peyton said before storming upstairs herself.

Both sets of parents stood there stunned at their daughters reactions. They all knew that it wouldn't go well, but no one could have predicted this. After a few minutes of standing there and not hearing anything they realized that neither of the girls were coming back downstairs and so they all let themselves out.

Meanwhile as Peyton was stomping up the stairs she heard light crying coming from the second door on the left. She lightly knocked on the door and announced her presence.

"Lainey, is that you? It's Peyton do you want to talk?"

Lainey opened the door with tears still running down her face. She wanted to hug Peyton more than anything but she knew Peyton hated her so she didn't. "I would say you're the last person I want to see right now, but my parents just took that place. So congratulations you moved up a few spots." She wiped her eyes and walked off down the hall opening every door until she found the one with her stuff in it

"So is that no then?" Peyton called out as she watched Lainey walk out. She felt terrible about how things had worked out with Lainey and her parents. She couldn't figure out why but she actually felt bad for the girl.

Peyton did what Lainey did and went down the hallway looking for the room with her stuff in it. She skipped the one she had watched Lainey disappear into. The girls spent the rest of the night in their rooms. Neither of them were put into the master, that room was left empty, but their rooms weren't small by any means.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.6K 1.9K 38
After a lot of drama and tears Alex and Tiffany are finally settled and loving life . Until an unexpected turn of events changes their daughter Mia'...
32.2K 2.1K 27
Abby has seen Sam four times over the last four years, and three of those times ended with a kiss on the cheek. But now, Abby is finally going to go...
1M 33.7K 49
[There is spelling errors and it's confusing sometimes but I'll try my best to look for them before publishing a chapter] two dominate women... all f...
252K 6.4K 25
please bare with me I wrote this book when I had no sense at all. this book is Stockholm Syndrome Lily Jenkins was just a girl who wanted anot...