Upper Orders//Benedict Bridge...

By stephie177

Diana Featherington is the only child of the younger brother of the Baron Featherington. With the passing of... More

⚘one⚘
⚘two⚘
⚘three⚘
⚘four⚘
⚘five⚘
⚘six⚘
⚘seven⚘
⚘eight⚘
⚘nine⚘
⚘eleven⚘
⚘twelve⚘
⚘thirteen⚘
⚘fourteen⚘
⚘fifteen⚘
⚘sixteen⚘
⚘seventeen⚘
⚘eighteen⚘
⚘nineteen⚘
⚘twenty⚘
⚘twenty one⚘
⚘twenty two⚘
⚘twenty three⚘
⚘twenty four⚘
⚘twenty five⚘
⚘twenty six⚘
⚘twenty seven⚘
⚘twenty eight⚘
⚘epilogue⚘

⚘ten⚘

25.2K 756 541
By stephie177

A little groveling in front of Her Majesty and the marriage license for Daphne and the Duke was secured.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony. It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty but more of safety than the single life. ...in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. I now pronounce you man and wife.

I smile at Daphne as I manage to track her down at the reception. "It was such a beautiful wedding, Daph. Congratulations."

Daphne grabs my hands in hers. "I want to thank you, Diana."

"Whatever for?" I question.

"For being my very closest friend since the age of five. I cannot imagine we will not live across the street from each other anymore," Daphne tells me.

"You may be moving into Clyvedon but you will still make trips back into town," I assure her.

Daphne wraps me into a hug. "I will miss you."

"I will miss you more," I assure.

I stand with Penelope and Marina. Penelope is trying to get Marina to find another suitor.

"What about him? He seems... pleasant," Penelope offers. "Or him. Kind eyes. A fine enough husband, I think."

"Pen, I neither know nor have time for any of these men. Now, where is Colin?" Marina asks.

"You can choose anyone but him. He is my friend, Marina. I have known him forever. And I do not want him to be tricked and deceived into a lifelong commitment. You must not do this to a good man," Penelope tells her.

"Well, should I perhaps entrap a bad man, then? Perhaps you would find it acceptable for me to live my life with a man who treats me like a mere beast?" Marina counters.

"No, I only mean..." Penelope starts.

"What am I to do, Penelope? I will be a good wife to Colin, and he a good husband and father... however young and well-liked by you he may be," Marina assures.

Aunt Featherington walks over towards us. "Miss Thompson, you will be delighted to know that Lord Rutledge is no longer available. He is engaged as of this morning."

"That is... How terrible," Marina remarks.

"Best hope that whatever you have planned for Mr. Bridgerton actually works. It is your last hope," Aunt Featherington tells her.

Marina walks off towards Colin.

Lady Danbury walks over to me.

I curtsy. "Lady Danbury."

"Miss Featherington. To see you without Mr Bridgerton, a rare sight indeed," Lady Danbury remarks.

I smile slightly. "Mr Bridgerton and I are not courting. We do have lives apart from one another."

Lady Danbury nods. "Just give it time."

I look at her curiously. "Time, Lady Danbury?"

"Mr Bridgerton will decide to settle down soon," Lady Danbury states.

"Are you suggesting that Mr Bridgerton and I should get engaged?" I question.

"I see the way you two look at one another," Lady Danbury tells me.

Eloise walks over towards us. "Lady Danbury you are Lady Whistledown." I look at her in shock. "Yes, you certainly enjoy spreading secrets, do you not?"

"Dear child, have you lost your wits? Everyone enjoys secrets. Otherwise, why would Lady Whistledown's paper be so successful? I am flattered by your accusation, but it is simply not true. Though, when you unmask the writer, do let me know," Lady Danbury tells her. She turns to me. "And you should think about what I told you."

"I see we are playing detective now Eloise. Might I suggest not accusing everyone in this room of being Lady Whistledown you will not get anywhere," I tease.

I find Benedict by himself. "You are not to believe what your sister Eloise just did."

"What this time?" Benedict asks.

"She just accused Lady Danbury of being Lady Whistledown," I inform him.

"Well is she?" Benedict asks.

I chuckle. "No.

Mr Granville walks over towards Benedict and I. "A most enjoyable party."

Benedict smiles. "Indeed."

Mr Granville leans into Benedict trying to keep me and anyone else from hearing their conversation. "Um, Bridgerton... Um... The other night..."

"What happened the other night? I do not believe anything happened at all," Benedict tells him.

Mr Granville sighs in relief. "Ah... Very well." A woman joins us. "Ah, dearest... I believe you know Mr. Bridgerton. My wife, Mrs. Lucy Granville."

"It is a pleasure, Mr. Bridgerton," she says.

Mr Granville turns towards me. "I do not believe we have properly met."

"This is Miss Diana Featherington," Benedict introduces me.

Mrs Granville smiles. "You should join us at my husband's gallery sometime."

I smile.

"Oh I do not know about that. It was nice to see you again," Benedict tells them. He leads me away from the couple.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask.

"You do not need to be involved with Mr Granville's gallery," Benedict tells me.

I walk out of the hall knowing Benedict will follow. I lead him into the study, closing the door after us.

"Diana..." Benedict starts.

"I know. We should not be alone. But why can I not go with you to the gallery?" I ask.

"You are too pure. We cannot ruin that," Benedict tells me.

"What happens at the gallery?" I question.

"Parties," Benedict tells me.

"What kinds of parties?" I ask.

Benedict sighs as he sits on the edge of the desk. "Once again you ask me such things you know we should not talk about."

"I want to stop being so blind to everything in the world," I confess. "So please. Just tell me why I cannot go."

"It's not just a gallery for art..." Benedict starts.

"I have gathered that much," I remark.

Benedict makes a face. "There are women of improper morals and men who would ruin a girl like you in a heartbeat."

"Ladies of the night?" I question. Benedict looks surprised that I even know the term. "I have heard you and your brothers talking before."

"Diana you do not need to know of such inappropriate things," Benedict tells me.

"Inappropriate like what you and those women do?" I ask.

"You do not even know what you are speaking of. You should not be asking about this," Benedict tells me.

"Why not? Maybe I am sick and tired of being so prim and proper." I step closer to Benedict so we are mere centimeters apart. "Maybe I want you to touch me like you touch those women."

"Di..." Benedict starts.

"Please," I beg.

Benedict places his hand on my cheek and my breath hitches in my throat, even though it is a simple gesture I have never had a man touch me like this before. Benedict leans in his face centimeters from my own as he places his hand on my waist. Just like that his lips touch mine ever so gently.

"Benedict?"

I push myself away from Benedict. Anthony is standing in the doorway.

"Diana?" Anthony looks angry. "We will talk about this later. They are bringing the carriages around," he tells us.

We all follow behind Daphne as she leaves the house.

"Perhaps I can come with you. I've always wanted to live in a castle," Gregory tells her.

"If Daphne is going to take anyone with her, Gregory, it will be me," Hyacinth insists.

"The two of you are staying here until our dear sister allows us a visit," Colin tells them. He pulls Daphne into a hug.

"You mean if she allows us a visit. I'm sure you'll enjoy the peace and quiet," Benedict says as he hugs his sister.

"I am sure she will write," I say.

Daphne pulls me into a hug. "I am going to miss all of you terribly."

"Even me?" Anthony asks.

"Even you," Daphne assures.

Anthony kisses his sister on the cheek.

Daphne turns to Eloise. "I have a present for you."

I stand off to the side with Benedict. Anthony gives us a look and Benedict moves away slightly.

After Daphne says goodbye to Eloise her mother pulls her into a hug. Daphne takes one last look at her old home before getting into the carriage followed by her husband. It's sad but it is a part of life. Daphne has found a husband that she loves and I can only hope to do the same.

Everyone starts to head back into the Bridgerton house. Benedict and I included until Anthony stops us.

"I'd like a word with you two," Anthony tells us.

"Brother..." Benedict starts.

"Now," Anthony states.

Benedict and I stand in front of Anthony in the study.

"It was not what it looked like, Brother," Benedict insists.

"Not what it looked like? You and Diana were alone in the study kissing. You are lucky it was I who found you. You are lucky Diana does not have a brother. Otherwise you would be heading for a duel," Anthony insists.

"It was one kiss." Benedict looks at me. "It was a mistake."

It feels like I have just been stabbed in the heart.

"It was my fault," I state.

"Diana..." Benedict starts.

"No. No. It was. I was the one that brought Benedict in here. I was the one that was asking him silly questions. I was the one that kissed him," I insist.

Anthony shakes his head. "It does not matter Diana. Benedict should have been the one to put an end to it before it even started," Anthony states. "You two are friends. I know that. But you need to be careful. This could have ruined both of you. Both of our families. I trust that it will not happen again." I nod my head. "Diana I shall walk you home."

I nod my head once more. I can't even look at Benedict as I leave the study. I did not think the kiss was nothing. How silly of me to think that Benedict Bridgerton would ever care for me. That he could ever feel the same way that I do. That he could ever love me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.8K 1K 26
Y/N returns to London after 10 years, having to have left the only home she had ever known, including her dearest childhood best friend, Anthony. Whe...
333K 8.7K 56
Lady Florence Huntingdon, daughter of the well-known and more importantly, well-respected Earl and Countess Huntingdon is stepping into the 1813 marr...
54.4K 742 56
Colin Bridgerton is part of one of the most important families of London aristocracy, that night at the Featherington ball he felt especially excepti...
582K 13.2K 37
Olivia Borough (17) is Lady Bridgerton's niece who got abandoned after her mother passed away. Now that her father has died too, there is no other op...