Always • Charlie Weasley

By mscmasr3

Malak Aboul Gheit is no stranger to suffering. To death. But she is neither a stranger to love. The path of t... More

CAST
PROLOGUE 0 - ٠
PART 1 - ١ | BEGINNINGS
1:١ | the incident
2:٢ | the perfect gift
4:٤ | the Egyptian felon
5:٥ | a good start
6:٦ | the forest
7:٧ | thoth
8:٨ | the hatch
9:٩ | the lecture
PART 2 - ٢ | CHANGES
1:١ | those blue eyes
2:٢ | bunny
3:٣ | the dog star
4:٤ | moony
5:٥ | sweet sixteen
6:٦ | mischief managed
7:٧ | prongs
8:٨ | season's greetings
9:٩ | dragons
10:١٠ | realizations
11:١١ | crookshanks
12:١٢ | padfoot
13:١٣ | wormtail
14:١٤ | dreams of freedom
15:١٥ | buckbeak
PART 3 - ٣ | DARKNESS
1:١ | rania
2:٢ | that Egyptian summer
3:٣ | the burrow
4:٤ | that English summer
5:٥ | student WISA
6:٦ | everything
7:٧ | ton-tongue toffee
8:٨ | quidditch talks
9:٩ | quidditch camp
10:١٠ | quidditch cup
11:١١ | the mark
12:١٢ | him
13:١٣ | runes
14:١٤ | the picture
15:١٥ | lucky bastards
16:١٦ | the tournament
17:١٧ | mad-eye moody
18:١٨ | the goblet of fire
19:١٩ | the champions
20:٢٠ | wand weighting
21:٢١ | the first task
22:٢٢ | sárkánybűvölő
23:٢٣ | we
24: ٢٤ | idiotic
25:٢٥ | amendments
26:٢٦ | preparations
27:٢٧ | the Yule Ball
28:٢٨ | the pre-Yule Ball

3:٣ | el beit beitak

2K 84 25
By mscmasr3

After what she now referred to as 'the incident' with her uncle, Malak Aboul Gheit had learned the hard way to be extremely careful about her moves within Egyptian society. She learned from her adored house elvettes Samia and Lamia that his uncle had been in fact banished from Beit-l-Gheit by Fawzia about 25 years ago, just as Bill Weasley had suggested. The reason why still remained unanswered. But he wanted in again, that much was clear to Malak. So she needed to be careful, protect the house, as well as herself, but without letting any curious eyes know what she was doing.

It was a hectic task to do in the moths prior to her depart to join Hogwarts. Moreover, she had started a small potion-brewing business, to keep her busy as well as to defray the expenses of the house, including the wage of the house elves, both of which insisted on having it cut down significantly following Fawzia's death, so that young Malak wouldn't have to carry that burden as well. But Malak was stubborn and the Egyptians were known to be terrible potion makers, so she had found a niche market to explore and keep her finances up, not using too much of Fawzia's life-long savings, otherwise she will be running out soon. A business that she hoped to be able to keep alive even while at Hogwarts, somehow.

Luckily for her, the beginning of 1991 had brought along the friendship of Bill Weasley, and had allowed Malak to cement a strong bond with the oldest Weasley. Malak had been inclined to trust the red-haired wizard, sensing only pure intentions from his side. He was a curse breaker at Gringotts Bank branch in Egypt, his office located not far away from Beit-l-Gheit, so he had made a habit to check on the 13-year old witch every Thursday after work. A habit Malak was most grateful for. They would have lunch together, play some chess —Bill was getting much better at it, thanks to Malak's influence—, and discuss magic.

As she prepared to transition for the warm Egyptian summer to the humid and cold Scottish autumn, she couldn't help but to feel almost nostalgic. Throw in a bit of fear in the mixture of sensations, but the good one —the fear that sparkles your curiosity and pushes you beyond your comfort zone. She felt excitement.

Bill Weasley had told her that traditionally, Hogwarts students prepared for the starting of the term by doing their shopping at a place called Diagon Alley, which she had imagined to be a sort of El Mo3ez Street in her native Old Cairo. He had arrange for Malak to meet his brothers, Percival, Fred, George and 1st year Ronald, so that they would guide her. She was ready. As much as she could be, anyway.

Malak apparated to the Gringotts branch in London, where she was scheduled to meet the Weasleys at ten o'clock. She had arrived about 15 minutes early, just to make sure they did not have to wait for her. They were already doing her a favor, it would be rude to make them wait.

She started to take in her surroundings. It was a normal Saturday afternoon, towards the end of August, but even inside of the magical bank, Malak could feel that the temperature had dropped significantly from that of Egypt. She might need to reconsider what to pack. She might need new, warmer clothes all together.

Mired in her own thoughts, she almost missed the group of red-haired individuals, 4 boys and 1 girl, and a couple — presumably be the patriarchs of the clan.

"Hello? The Weasleys?" Malak tried. "I am Malak Aboul Gheit, William's friend"

"Oh yes, dear! Hi! I'm Molly" Mrs. Weasley started, and proceeded to point to her family. "These are my husband Arthur, sons Percy, Fred and Geo—"

"Really mom? I'm not Fred, I'm George," said the boy. "Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?"

"Sorry, George, dear."

"Only joking, I am Fred," said one twin. "And I'm George" completed the other.

"Nice to meet you!" they beamed, in perfect synchronization.

"Nice to meet you too" Malak laughed. "And you must be Ronald and Ginevra, then. Bi-William has told me about you" she smiled at the younger siblings.

"No need for formalities, dear, we all call him Bill" Mrs. Weasley softly told her.

"Except when you are angry..." George started. "Then it's full name" completed the other. "If she adds middle name" "and surname" "run!" The twins informed her.

"Fred! George!" Mrs. Weasley reprimanded.

"No worries, she won't be able to... she won't need to memorize my full name" Malak winked.

"Is it really long?" little Ginny shyly asked.

"It's just not that easy for English speakers" Malak sentenced.

There was an silence. Expectance evident amongst the Weasley siblings.

"So?" The twins inquired, once again in sync.

"Oh! Em... It's Malak Rania 3ala2 Eddin Abdel7akim Sala7 Shehab Aboul Gheit" she said, exaggerating the pronunciation of the Arabic, much to the amusement of the Weasleys.

"Try that, woman!" Fred and George laughed.

"There will be no need for it, I hope, Mrs. Weasley" she said innocently.

"I am sure ab-..."

"CAREFUL!" someone shouted, as un-identified flying object darted towards the group.

The Weasleys ducked to avoid the impact. Malak, on the other hand, decided against it. She expertly crafted a yellow foam wall in front of the group, for the object to impact on it without harming the Weasleys or herself, trapping it in what seemed to be a round-shaped canary yellow cloud.

She picked the quafflle-size cloud up from the floor and carefully made a whole with her index finger, to peek at the contents.

"That's what I thought" she said absentmindedly. "A niffler" she giggled "at Gringotts, obviously" she couldn't contain a loud laugh.

"What?" Percy questioned.

"A niffler! It's super British! They love shiny and glittery things, so obviously there is one at a bank" Malak explained. "I heard goblins keep them to burrow deep into the earth for treasures. Newt Scamander had one."

"Newt Scamander, as in THE Newt Scamander?" "So is it an animal?" "What does it look like?" "How did you build that wall?" "Was it non-verbal magic?" "You can't use magic out of Hogwarts!" The Weasleys bombarded her with questions.

"What?"

And suddenly a brown howler arrived, purple, heart-shaped lips plastered on it.

Dear Miss Aboul Gheit,

The Ministry of Magic has received intelligence that you have performed a undefined, non-verbal charm at sixteen minutes past ten this morning in Gringotts Bank, London Central Branch. As per the prescriptions of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, written in 1875, underage magic outside school, and unsupervised by a responsible tutor is forbidden. May the present letter serve as your first official warning.

Despite your status as an International Student WISA holder, please be reminded that not knowing the law does not exempt you from complying with it. To such end, you must present yourself in the Ministry of Magic Improper Use of Magic Office, at nine o'clock of Monday 19th for further information on British legislation with this regard.

With regards,

Mafalda Hopkirk

"Well, that's a great start" Malak sighed.

"What a great addition to the team" one of the twins whispered to the other, as they high-fived, and redirected their glances at her, only to find her already looking in their direction. She half smiled at them, knowingly.

That is actually a great start, she thought to herself.

The Weasleys were a great family. Malak absolutely loved them, they made her feel so welcome, so wanted. As if she naturally belonged. She was comfortable around them — she did not have to pretend to have it all together and she could just enjoyed being a teenage witch.

After an introduction that would have scared most parents away, Mrs. Weasley reassured her that there was nothing to worry about, and Mr. Weasley announced that he would be accompanying her to the Ministry, so that she would not have to be alone. They had even offered her a place to stay at their house in preparation for the visit, just so that she would not need to travel back to Egypt, and despite only knowing her from a few minutes ago.

She had declined politely, feeling it was too much to ask from the red-haired family. But in the bottom of her heart she wanted to say yes. She missed not having to be responsible for herself, she missed being taken care of. She missed Fawzia. So much, so desperately. She wanted to hug her, for her grandmother to return the embrace and tell her everything was alright.

That was not to be. Malak apparated back to England, into the main Hall of the Ministry of Magic, and soon was able to sort out the issue. She was responsible for herself now, before the Egyptian authorities and the British ones too. She was, to all effects, an emancipated witch, and as such she could use magic as any other sorcerer of age. For better or worse.

She went back to Egypt straight away, to enjoy what was going to be her last week in the country in a very long time. She visited the Pyramids of Giza and the Statue of the Spinx. As she looked at the grandiose monuments, she  allowed herself to dream of ancient times, the era of the Pharaohs and the times of the flooding of the Nile. Closing her eyes, she thought about the dessert, those sand dunes reaching high in the horizon, the wind blowing, carrying the sand away with it. How could she miss it already if she was still there?

Soon came the last Thursday of the month, her last meal in a while with the oldest Weasley. Most of the time was spent in silence, as if they were both afraid to break the spell.

"El beit beitak" she said. So simply. So unceremoniously.

Bill Weasley stopped dead on his tracks, not even daring to finish the mango bite he was taking. El beit beitak. My house is your house.

A rather simple sentence. So deeply-rooted in the Arab culture. So full of meaning. Even more so coming from Malak Aboul Gheit.

"Do you know what it means?" She questioned.

"I know the words, not the full extend of the meaning."

"It means that Beit-l-Gheit is your home now. You and your lineage will always be welcome here" Malak explained. "It also gives you access to the treasures of the Library of Alexandria —you can borrow its books, study Ancient scripts, learn old curses and counter curses, use the halls to practice your magic..."

He knew it, he could feel it. The house was his —he was suddenly aware of every corner within it, every hallway. He was part of it.

"I don't know what to say..."

"There is no need to say anything, just make good use of it" she said smiling widely. "Maybe tell them at Gringotts, they might give you a raise or something."

The old Weasley laughed, almost choking on the juicy mango fruit.

"Do keep an eye on the house, would you?" She asked, lowering her voice.

"I might move into the glasshouse, my apartment is too tiny anyway" Bill joked.

"Yes, please!" Pleaded Malak. "I would sleep so much more peacefully knowing that there is someone here." She paused. She was asking for too much already.

"Of course only if you feel comfortable. I wouldn't want to impose on you..."

"Shut up! It's me that suggested it anyways" he shrugged. "I'll give it a thought. Maybe when you come back, you will find a redhead in the garden."

They both laughed.

"I am going to miss you" Malak confessed.

"Me too" he also admitted. "Do not forget to write often."

"Really?" She beamed. "I would have imagined that by know you would be tired of taking care of the orphaned Egyptian teenager."

"I hardly took care of you."

"Oh no, you have done much more than you imagine, believe me. I would probably be Rashid's pawn if it weren't for you." She looked down sadly.

"I would always have your back, Malak." She looked back up at him, their eyes. "Always."

She knew he meant it. Her lips curled into a warm smile, as she shedded a couple of tears of pure happiness.

She is about to leave Egypt and start her Hogwarts adventure!
Please let me know if you see any grammar/spelling mistakes; English is not my first language and I will appreciate any corrections.
Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35 0 13
Draco Malfoy was just beginning to adjust to his new life of freedom when a slew of death threats bring back an old acquaintance, throwing him into a...
236K 7.5K 23
y/n l/n was on her way to Hogwarts after years of loneliness and unanswered questions. Never knowing her parents who died during the war, she has bee...
594 19 25
As Artemis Weasley grew older, she began to realize that she wasn't truly a Weasley. She had brown hair instead of red, not a single freckle, and did...
9.1K 415 45
EDITING IN PROGRESS. Underage magic, two dark spells, it won't be long before the ministry hunts her down. Hermione Granger, previously mudblood scum...