by the sidelines โ€ข haechan

By oinkiest

"look to the sidelines, I'll be there." a taekwondo inspired short story *told in first POV* started: 7 novem... More

prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
epilogue
author's note

thirteen

460 32 8
By oinkiest

There it is, it's that side of him again. But technically, I don't need to accept his offer.

I leaned back against the bench, folding my arms across my chest. "I don't want to."

I expected him to ignore me just there and then, but he continued facing in my direction. In fact, a smug look formed on his face as he replied, "Aren't you too ignorant for someone who wants beat me?"

Oh, don't he dare go there again. I remained unfazed by his recurring comment that just seemed like a bee sting to me. "I realised you're not worth my effort." I shrugged nonchalantly, but I guess that wasn't enough to topple him over.

"Means you actually tried," Donghyuck effortlessly tackled the loophole in my reply, his smirk growing wider as I remained baffled. He continued almost immediately, "But too bad, I guess you failed."

"I didn't-"

"Bother trying? Of course, I was beyond your level anyway." He finished my rebuttal in a well thought out way, except not what I had in mind. It was like he knew exactly what I was going to say. I felt my ears grow red in aggravation as I clenched my fists tightly by my side.

"Aish, he's really getting on my nerves," I mumbled through gritted teeth, trying my best to suppress my anger that was going to erupt like a volcano. But I really couldn't stand the haughty expression that was plastered all over his face. All this just for me to go down there? What's the point? I really need to push him off his high horse.

"Fine, I'm going down." I jumped off the bench and marched down, fully aware of the fact that I just admitted my defeat over that ridiculous war of nerves. Gravity seemed to make it worse as it pulled me down to the shore like a magnet, although I managed to root myself before crashing into him again.

"You're unnecessarily determined," he scoffed as I tried not to let his comment get to me. He looked towards the left and I followed, gazing over the wide sheet of white that covered the beach entirely, with occasional pieces of nature sticking out here and there.

"You know what's a suicide run, right?" He pointed to a row of rocks aligned neatly on the sand, each a distance apart from each other. "Those are the checkpoints, all you need to do is run to each of them and back."

"Easy right?" He turned to me with a mocking look on his face, scrutinising me from head to toe. "But looking at how reluctant you were to even come down here, you aren't gonna put in any effort." I clicked my tongue in denial.

"I guess you think I can't beat you." Those words escaped my mouth without thinking until I realised what they stirred up. Donghyuck raised his eyebrows at me with much scepticism and I could see the competitiveness rising in him.

"You sure?" He piped up, rolling his tongue on the walls of his cheek as he stepped closer. I restrained myself from backing off. "How about this, the first one to finish three-"

He paused, pressing his fingers against his temples as he reconsidered his suggestion. "First one to finish one lap wins."

"Deal," I assured him confidently, although my insides were tumbling around in panic. It would be a lie to say I wasn't the slightest bit nervous, but I can't show him that. Gosh, what have I gotten myself into?

"What's the prize?"

He laughed a little too loud at my harmless question, his voice possibly disturbing the residents all the way in the mainland. He regained composure and stared at me seriously, "Win first, then talk."

Tsk, there's really no limit to his downgrading; the only way was to beat him in this run, but even I know that's physically impossible.

We took our spots behind the stick-drawn line on the stand, getting into our ready stance. I glanced at him, determination plastered all over his face. It'll be too shameless to ask for a head start too.

"Ready, go!"

With a little lag, I took off, a small gap already forming in between us. To my surprise, that gap maintained itself as we turned the first checkpoint, our bodies neck and neck as we ran back to the start. I snuck a peek at Donghyuck as we advanced to the second, his eyes fixated on the lane ahead of him. I may actually have a chance of winning this.

I pivoted upon reaching the next stone, my barefoot sliding against the sand as grains flew upon the created traction. The new distance was twice that of the first lap, but I managed to reach back a stride before him. However, that was the limit to my strength.

Soreness started building up on my lower body as my chest gradually grew tighter, huffing vigorously with each stride. The gap between us slowly increased as I watch him turn the third stone and zoom past me. A stitch formed on the side of my abdomen, hindering my speed even more.

But I can't show him my weak side again.

I sprinted back from the third checkpoint, trying my best the maintain my current speed. Donghyuck was already halfway through the last lap as I reached the start, the lack of oxygen causing my eyes to lose focus momentarily. I gathered the remaining strength I had and dashed forward, the distance between us seemingly decreasing as I picked up speed.

He spun around the last stone, our eyes meeting briefly as he shot a merciless glare back. Even from that split second, I could tell he wasn't playing around. But I had faith that I could still win. If I could just speed up a little-

Slip.

I felt myself drop down an inch as I slipped into a small dent in the sand, losing my whole momentum right there. Curse this soft beach. I picked myself up right away, but the shrinking figure in front of me was already far ahead as I chased after him, ultimately crossing the finish line with much disappointment.

I plopped onto the ground, my breath finally catching up to me as I huffed furiously. A sudden surge of pain hugged my right ankle tightly as I grasped it immediately. Great, it must've been from that pothole earlier. Why do these things always happen to me?

After pressing around the swollen lump a few times, I heaved a quiet sigh of relief. Thank goodness, it's just a strain.

"Well that was meaningless," a voice perked up as a dark silhouette hovered over me. I squinted against blinding rays behind him, his facial features blocked by the casted shadow that was hiding his taunting expression. "I expected a more uptight race, but you were clearly no match for me."

I struggled to stand up, hiding my resurfaced injury behind my other foot as I huffed, "Our strengths and stamina are clearly different, of course I was at a disadvantage." I placed my hands against my hips as I wobbled about the single leg supporting my whole weight. My aunt's gonna nag at me for injuring myself again, and then she'll tattle to my brother who'll give an even harsher lashing.

Donghyuck scanned my body, his eyes eventually landing on my unstable feet. He sniggered before sighing, "You're clumsy too? Gosh, you're one incompetent package."

Okay, he'd really gone too far.

"Is it fun? Looking down at me all the time?" I found myself blurting out, the frustration in me unable to take it any longer. My eyes shot lasers through his skin, demanding him an answer as he casually turned his head, smirking.

"It's called constructive criticism, and if you take it personally, it's not my fault." His cocky tone made me wanna push him into the sea, but luckily my self-control was strong enough to overcome that urge. Constructive criticism? His choice of words says otherwise.

"Thank gosh you hate coaching others," I muttered, recalled Youn's words; she probably heard enough rubbish for her to brand him like that. And I agree. Donghyuck let out a short laugh upon my comment.

"Did Shin Youn tell you that?" He asked, a mixture of disdain and disbelief in his voice. I darted my eyes to him, shocked at the sudden change of tone. Did I pull a trigger?

"Why? Isn't it true?" I pushed a little more, hoping to get more details out. His lips twitched a little, but he managed to regain his composure and grinned.

"I choose not to coach others, there's a clear difference," he clarified through gritted teeth, "No one can keep up with me anyway, as you can see."

His eyes darted to me with his last words as he stared at the sea. My eyes travelled down to the pockets of his jacket, his fists clearly clenching tightly in them. It was obvious Youn and him weren't on good terms, but it looked like there was more to that then just hatred. The problem is if I should continue digging for the answer.

"Then why did you bother coaching me?"

That question seemed to have broken him away from his angst as he scoffed, turning his whole body around to face me. He stared at me for an uncomfortably long time before revealing, "Because I pity you."

"Pity?" That word regurgitated out of my mouth before I could even digest it. I definitely did not expect that as an answer. My face distorted in both offence and confusion as I strongly refuted, "And why is that?"

"You try so hard, yet you don't improve, isn't that worth the pity?" He replied without a pause, causing my blood to boil even more. I probably shouldn't give any reaction seeing how he's enjoying this, but I can't help it.

"Yah, I had to lie in bed for two whole weeks, you think it's easy to recover?" I debated pathetically, remembering the countless boring nights I had just staring at the neon stars on my ceiling. It was the only time I felt so useless, and not being able to get up to go to the toilet on my own made it worse.

"That's all the more a reason to work twice as hard, or thrice in your case," he mocked as my chest grew heavy from defeat. There's really no end to his spiteful remarks.

"Must you really criticise everything I do?" I snarled, my nostrils flaring up with each word.

"Like I said," he sighed as if repeating himself for the nth time, "Either you take it as an insult, or as motivation."

Immediately after he finished, he spun around and trudged back up the beach, leaving me dumbfounded by the waters. Did he really expect me to be motivated by that? Even if he doesn't hate coaching, others would hate being coached by him.

"Oh right." Donghyuck stopped in his tracks as I looked back at him absentmindedly, "Don't trust Youn too much, it won't do you any good."

With that he said, he made his way back onto the road and disappeared behind a bunch of trees without a look back. When I was sure he was far enough, I let out a loud scoff, "Who is he to tell me what to do?"

I waited for a while before making my way up the slope too in fear that we might be going the same way again. My mind went back to the last sentence he said. Don't trust Youn too much? What exactly went on between them?

"Sigh, just how bad are things are between them for him to even say that," I let out an exasperated sigh as I reached the dimly lit road, my whole body exhausted from the entire day. Not to mention my ankle, I hadn't even fully recovered from it and now it's probably worse thanks to him.

Speaking of which, why does he behave so differently in and out of training? The only thing that stuck was his astronomically high ego, which I can't freaking stand.

Either you take it as an insult, or motivation.

I laughed out loud as his words replayed in my head. Was he just playing around, or did he genuinely wanted to motivate me? Gosh, I can't believe I almost took the bait.

Then again, he's the only person that felt like an actual competition to me, not because the rest of them aren't good, but because he inevitably forced it on me. Whether he was planning to or not.

Either way, I want to defeat that annoying prick so badly.

"Fine, I'll take it as motivation then," I admitted, sliding my hands into the pockets of my shorts while strolling along the row of street lamps that just flicked on. Determination filled me to the brim as I set my mind on the goal I didn't expect to have.

"But that means I won't be playing around anymore."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 681 24
a silly little story of haechan encountering a markhyuck edit โ˜† messy, goofy, cringy, depends on your perspective and preference โ˜† mature language โ˜†...
10K 334 15
*๐‘†๐‘’๐‘ž๐‘ข๐‘’๐‘™ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘’๐‘˜ ๐ต๐‘’๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’* ๐‘น๐’†๐’๐’‹๐’–๐’ comes back to find his friends are a mess ๐‘ฑ๐’†๐’๐’ and ๐‘ฑ๐’‚๐’†๐’Ž๐’Š๐’ ignore each other ๐‘ด๐’‚๐’“๐’Œ...
670K 26.9K 55
โ‰› nct na jaemin bad boy fanfiction โ that's what will make it more exciting โž โ‡ โ‡ โ‡ โ‡ โ‡ started: may 6, 2020 published: june 17, 2020 ended: august 1...
128K 8.8K 19
โ Lean on me... while you still can. โž two sick teenagers, one hospital garden, and a disease he wished he never had. โ–ฌโ–ฌ status: completed โœ“ nct | ha...