Dark Snow White (Grimmoire Se...

By AtomicNicky

What if Snow White wasn't so good after all? Eleanor, the Queen of RedCrest presides over the kingdom with h... More

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
Part XIV
Part XV
Part XVII
Part XVIII
Part XIX
Part XX
Part XXI
My Next Fairytale Is...
Updates
Cover, Title and Cast
Selected by Once Upon A Time
Wattpad Block Party
New Book Alert - Alice Logs Into Wonderland
2018
2019

Part XVI

5.3K 341 33
By AtomicNicky

Eleanor, still in disguise, and Hadrian found themselves being lead by Lormere’s finest, to an unknown location.

“If you could just let me explain,” said the Queen, still in the form of a large man and trying to wriggle her arms out of the soldier’s grip. These Lormerean soldiers certainly knew how to hold a prisoner. “You two got no business bein’ here. Only people allowed through, are those with express written permission,” said Blonde Soldier, “Everybody knows that.”

Hadrian was fed up with this nonsense. “Unhand her at once, she is the Queen of RedCrest,” said Hadrian. “You’re the ugliest Queen I ever saw,” joked one of the soldiers. The other men roared with laughter.

“Now would be a great time to evidence my claims, Your Highness,” said Hadrian to the Queen. Eleanor tried and tried with all her might, but she simply couldn’t will the magic to reverse her appearance. “I don’t know why it isn’t working,” she said.

“Listen to these two fools,” said another soldier, “Into the dungeon wif the bof of ya.”

* * *

“I demand an audience with your King and/or Queen,” said Eleanor. The royal dungeon in Lormere was in an absolute state - she secretly wished Falkner could have been here to give it the once over before she was to be locked up.

“Well, you’ll be waitin’ a long time,” said the Blonde Soldier, “His and Her majesty passed not long ago.” Just outside of the dungeon was a royal guard. He unlocked the cell, allowed the guards to escort Eleanor and Hadrian inside, then slammed the cell door shut and locked it again.

As the soldiers began to walk away, Eleanor decided to place her cards on the table and called out after them, “A woman from this Kingdom - well, at least we believe it to be this Kingdom - has come to RedCrest and has caused a great deal of trouble. Have any of you heard of Snow White?”

All the soldiers and the guard stopped dead in their tracks. They turned around to face Eleanor. “Did you say, Snow White?” asked the guard, with a dire inflection. Eleanor nodded. “Right, stay here,” he said, before rushing off. “Where else would we go?” asked Hadrian, rattling the prison door.

The soldiers and the guard all ran out of the room. Eleanor walked to the back of the cell and slid down the wall. Hadrian joined her and sat on the ground.“What if I’m stuck like this forever?” said Eleanor, dejectedly. “Well, it would certainly make your relationship with Orion interesting,” joked Hadrian. El shot Hadrian a very concerned look. “Oh my, I hadn’t thought of that. I was mainly concerned that I don’t have any clothes that would fit…” said Eleanor, her worry now compounded. 

A lot of hustle and bustle could be heard echoing down the stairway that lead from the inside of the castle and down to the dungeon. A Herald appeared inside the torch-lit dungeon, wearing royal robes and carrying a trumpet. “Announcing Princess Rose Red,” bellowed the Herald. Eleanor couldn’t help but think, for a custom so formal, you’d think they’d bother to sweep the floors occasionally. 

Not a moment later, in walked Rose Red with a royal fanfare of soldiers and guards. She was a striking young woman. Tall, very pale skin with long dark red, wavy hair and incredibly dark eyes. Rose wore long, dark blue, velvet robes, her fingers interlocked enclosed in gloved hands. Such a breathtaking, yet formidable appearance - Hadrian gasped.

Rose walked over to the cell. “My subjects tell me you claim to be royalty,” said Rose, quizzically, examining Eleanor in her male form, “Such a unique look for a Queen.” “Yes,” replied Eleanor, “I, uh, well, I might as well come clean. We journeyed a long way here from RedCrest. And I think we both know that the lands in between are no place for a woman with such a small party accompaniment. So I admit, I have used some sorcery to change my appearance to that of a man. Only, now I can’t seem to change back.”

If what you say is true, then that would be my doing,” began the Princess, “As you see, I have placed a magical lock on this land. You can cast a spell outside my Kingdom and it will carry into this land, but it cannot be undone, nor can a spell be cast within the Kingdom. We find it to be quite the perfect defence in light of recent events.” 

Rose took a step back from the cell, “As the caster of the magical lock on this land, I may still use magic within the confines of the Kingdom. So let us see if what you have to say is truth.” Rose held her palm up, facing Eleanor. 

“Reveal.”

No sooner had she spoken the magic word did Eleanor, at once, transform back into her regal self - her magnificent brown hair piled high atop her angular face, her deep red gown unfurled like a scroll.“Release them immediately,” commanded Rose Red, “Clearly, we have much to discuss regarding Snow White.” The guard came forth and unlocked the cell. Eleanor and Hadrian walked into the open. 

“If I may ask, Miss Red, how do you know Snow White?” asked Eleanor, pointedly. 

Rose snapped, “Snow White is my sister.”

 * * *

“I’m terribly sorry to hear about your parents,” said Eleanor, “I would have sent my condolences, but I never received a carrier message announcing their passing.” Rose, Eleanor and Hadrian were all in the sitting room, having tea and crumpets. “Of that fact I am not surprised. Since the death of my parents, no carrier birds have been allowed in or out of Lormere,” said Rose, nibbling a morsel of crumpet and jam.

“And why is that?” asked Hadrian, curiously. “We were concerned the birds would be intercepted,” explained the Princess. “By your enemies?” pondered Eleanor. “Just one enemy. Snow White,” said Rose. “What I’m about to tell you is in the strictest of confidence,” Rose glared at both Eleanor and Hadrian. Hadrian was getting stressed and began fanning himself with a crumpet. “This may come as a shock to you, but, to put it plainly, my sister holds dominion over all animals,” said Rose.

“Actually, this explains a great deal,” said the Queen. In her head, she quickly ran through the mysterious incidents involving animals; the carrier bird that never seemed to make it anywhere, the wolf attack, on Falkner, the incident with her own dog, Edward, the cave in, Orion’s attack - all Snow.

Eleanor explained to Rose what happened once Snow arrived at RedCrest as well as describing the animal attacks since. Rose seemed unsurprised. “I can’t help but notice you seem entirely unperturbed at this news,” enquired Eleanor, “I’m deeply worried, for you see, Snow and my son have wed in secret.” “Your son is a fool for love,” replied Rose, sharply, “but he is not married. I can assure you of that.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t follow you,” asked Eleanor. “Snow already has a husband - Frederick,” said Rose. Eleanor and Hadrian were gobsmacked. Rose continued, “Poor Fred was driven to insanity by her actions. We keep him under watch in the castle, so he can’t hurt anyone, nor himself.” “If I may ask, what drove him to insanity?” enquired Hadrian with trepidation. 

“To put it bluntly, she brutally murdered our parents. Caught me completely by surprise. I never thought she’d be capable of something so gruesome, nor did poor, unsuspecting Fred. He was the one who found the half-eaten bodies,” said Rose, “Of course, to save face, the public believe they died from consumption. After I found out that Snow was responsible, she fled.” 

At this point, Hadrian was so nervous, he dropped his crumpet jam-side down onto the magnificent woven rug. Only one of the guards seemed to notice. “Why didn’t you go after her?” asked Eleanor. “My powers only work within the Lormerean dominion. Our heritage, our blood, runs through the soil of this land. Beyond our border, my abilities are rendered useless. I’ve tried every possible loophole, even redistributing soil from Lormere to somewhere new, purchasing more land,” said Rose, shrugging.

“But… Snow’s magic works beyond this kingdom,” began Eleanor. Rose placed down her cup of tea, “She made a deal with the Other Realm to ensure her powers were to work anywhere. The downside is, that her power wanes eventually and she must rejuvenate. I would prefer not to detail her truly heinous method of rejuvenation, for fear of even more crumpets finding their way onto my precious rug.” Rose shot Hadrian an accusing look. Hadrian blushed.

Eleanor stood up in her place, “I formally request you accompany us back to RedCrest, Princess Rose. We need your help.” Rose chuckled to herself, “It’s most unfortunate that you left her there, she will no doubt have completely ruined your kingdom by now.” “Oh no, I tricked her into consuming a sleeping a curse,” said Eleanor, “She’ll be out for a very long time.”

Rose stood up suddenly and with a changed demeanour said, “You mean she has succumbed to eternal slumber?” “Yes,” said Eleanor, guiltily. “She must never wake up. Do you understand me?” said Rose. Her tone had turned dire. Eleanor and Hadrian sat wide eyed. They looked at each other, then back at Rose and nodded.

“Is there any possibility of Snow being woken?” asked Rose, intensely. “Only true love’s kiss breaks the spell,” said Eleanor. “And your son, her husband, do you know if he has tried to break the spell?” asked Rose, maintaining her intensity. “Yes and he was unsuccessful,” responded Eleanor, “In fact, one of the reasons I am here, is that I have nowhere else to go, in truth. By my son’s word, I am banished from my kingdom for using a blood magic curse on Snow White. He loathes me now, but I won’t stop until I’ve made him see sense and you, Rose Red, might be just the one to help me do it.”

“Then I accept your invitation. As the only remaining Lormerean monarch, as well as being her blood relative, I must bear the responsibility to right Snow’s wrongs. We shall leave immediately,” said Rose, striding away with purpose. Her guards reacted to her movement, opening the door for her to leave. Eleanor and Hadrian followed suit. “You have afforded me a truly unique opportunity,” stated Rose. “And what opportunity would that be?” asked Hadrian. 

“The chance to avenge the death of my parents,” said Rose, proudly. 

Hadrian gulped.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4 0 3
What if the Evil Queen might not be the villain? Queen Mara White has always wanted a child, and her wish finally comes true when she gives birth to...
4K 388 22
𝐄𝐕𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐀 ︱❝ We both had hard lives Emma. But those hard lives taught us that pain only makes us stronger. ❞ Imagine a scenario where S...
5.8K 325 8
What if Snow White had a daughter before she had Emma? But this daughter doesn't ever see the Charming's as a real family. Regina had raised her had...
359 2 12
Snow White, daughter of a king, was hated by her stepmother, the Evil Queen. Upon discovering Snow White was the most beautiful maiden in the land, t...