The Heart That Beats For Her

By danilynn87

After impatiently waiting nine months on the organ donor list, Emma Swan finally receives the phone call she'... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

1.7K 111 50
By danilynn87

The backyard is in full swing. Music blasting all the classics from the sixties and seventies. Her mother's ridiculous, over the top Fourth Of July decorations, including red, white and blue stars that light up are decorating every inch of the yard. Her father's grill is steaming, all sorts of delicious meat wafting from where he has been firmly rooted for an hour now. Of course, Neal is by his side, like every year, his sidekick in case David has to step away for any reason. His wife, Wendy, is one part of a square that usually forms to chit-chat, including Ruby, Mary Margret and herself. Except, they are about to become a triangle for the rest of the evening.

"Regina's here," Emma announces, her face betraying her and portraying just how ecstatic she is about the new arrival. "I'm going to let her in."

"Didn't you tell her to just come around back?" Her mother questions, gesturing toward the yard that is full with their closest neighbors.

"Yeah, she doesn't really feel comfortable with that. Not like she's been here before," Emma mumbles because she is already exiting the yard and jogging through her childhood home.

The thrilling buzz that seems to swarm inside her veins and nuzzle deep inside her heart whenever Regina's name is mentioned, is becoming more intense now. She hates herself for feeling so much, but it's so obvious now that she is crushing on the brunette. She knows it's incredibly inappropriate and she could never act on those feelings, not that Regina is even into women, but she promises herself every day that she will never cross those lines. She assumes the longing will eventually fade and it will solidify how good of friends they truly are.

Until then...she already knows she's going to suffer.

She blows out one heavy breath before she yanks on her front door. "Regina," she says like she's been stranded in a scorching desert and this woman is her only source of cool water.

"Emma," her friend greets her in that same old tone that confuses the hell out of her because it always sounds so damn flirtatious.

Regina smiles softly, stepping up toward the threshold with some sort of dish in her hands and they still haven't found a balance in their friendship, both so unsure what is appropriate or not. Neither one has decided what the protocol is for greeting one another, but it's the Fourth Of July and Emma has been hugging every single guest that has entered their home, so she leans in.

She swings one arm around Regina's neck for something that resembles a side hug and that's the moment dread washes over her because she specifically hears the way her friend's breath hitches. She panics, her face burning crimson from the embarrassment, but then, she feels a warm arm curling around her waist and it's like all her anxiety melts away, dripping down to a puddle at her feet to be long forgotten.

"I'm so glad you could make it."

"Well, thank you for inviting me," Regina politely says as they both take a small step back.

"What do you have there?" Emma joyfully questions, lifting a dishrag to sneak a peek. "Is this your famous apple pie?" She squawks, her mouth already salivating from the cinnamon aroma wafting through the air.

"It is," Regina smugly replies while her eyes drift around the Swan's home. "I don't know why you are always raving about my house, this place is beautiful," she compliments, but Emma's eyes are busy sneaking a quick scan over her body.

She hastily takes in the summer dress, that could be fooling her eyes and is actually a jumper, she'll never know. The colors are warm with a mix of orange, brown and royal blue and accents of white and it reminds Emma of summertime under the Mexican sun (even if she's never been to Mexico). Emma is sure the Regina before the accident would never wear something so loud, but she takes that as a win. She's positive Regina is starting to feel more comfortable and like herself again, especially in the presence of her. Regina's feet are even dressed quite classy in strappy gold sandals and suddenly Emma's feeling a little self-conscious about her skimpy jean shorts and American flag tank top.

"Well, two people who are vets can afford a decent home in Manhattan. You should have seen the hole I was in when I lived in Boston," she chuckles, gently easing the door closed behind Regina. "Do you want a tour? Or do you want to get meeting my parents over with?" She teases, sporting that cheeky grin that shows off her adorable dimple.

"I'm sure they are waiting on pins and needles to finally meet me," Regina muses as Emma nods frantically along. "Well then, I suppose now is a perfect time for that tour."

Emma snorts at the deadpan in Regina's voice that she always finds amusing. "You're evil, you know that?"

"That's why I became a lawyer, dear," her friend sasses right back before Emma leads the way to the kitchen first to drop off the apple pie and then proceeds to every room in the house, including the bathrooms.

~~~~

"There you are," Mary Margret exasperates the second she spots Emma sliding the glass door open that leads to the backyard.

"Yeah, sorry, I was giving Regina a tour of the house," Emma explains, gesturing for Regina to cross the threshold first.

And the world presses pause on the moment, all the backyard guests freezing momentarily to observe Regina entering their lives. Emma swallows thickly as all eyes land upon them, but she must say, Regina doesn't falter. Her friend curls a chunk of hair behind her ear before thrusting her chin into the air and owning the damn room.

"Um...Regina," she quickly scrambles to step in front of the woman, gesturing toward her mother. "This is my mom, Mary Margret, you know Ruby already and this is Neal's wife, Wendy," she quickly introduces.

Regina gingerly lifts her hand, already making her move toward Emma's mother. "It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Swan. Thank you so much for inviting me."

Mary Margret actually falters for a moment, her expression blank, a little baffled, but her hand does slide into Regina's for a slow handshake that appears like she's not familiar with the gesture. She blinks a few times, her olive green eyes locked intensely onto Regina's smiling face.

"Oh, yes. Not a problem. It's so lovely to finally meet you," Mary Margret stammers and Emma is positive her mother is stuck in some sort of trance. "We have heard so much about you, my daughter goes on and on about you." Then, much to Emma's horror, her mother's other hand cradles the back of Regina's, trapping the brunette nice and tight. "I just want to say thank you-"

"Mom-"

"I am so so very sorry for your loss, but thank you to your husband for being an organ donor and saving my baby's life-"

"Mom, please-"

"Being an organ donor is so very important, you never know whose life you're going to save and we have waited so long for Emma to finally be healthy-" And here comes the waterworks. Those eyes are glistening and her mother is choking on her words, refusing to release Regina's hand like it's her own personal life raft to keep her afloat from drowning in her own salty tears.

"Okay, she gets it, mom," Emma grumbles, stealing Regina's hand back before she loses her strength and passes out from sheer mortification.

"My husband and I..." Regina slowly begins and Emma already knows she is lost in some daze, trying to compose herself. "We both felt it was important to be an organ donor," is all Regina can find the courage to say in the moment.

"Uh, it's good to see you again," Ruby pipes up, obviously trying to crack through the brick of tension that's rapidly building all around them. Regina offers a small smile and nods. "But I'm not a fan of you stealing all of my friend's attention away from me," she teases, forcing Emma to hold her breath, but Regina simply flashes a devilish little smirk.

"Well, she's a wonderful friend and I do believe I am going to keep her," Regina sasses right back, persuading smiles to break across every face in their group. "You better start looking for a replacement."

"I'm pretty scrappy, I might have to fight you for her," Ruby easily volleys back, thrusting her bottle of beer into the air and grinning like a wolf that caught its dinner.

"Alright, Ruby," Wendy sighs, exhausted from the back and forth banter or maybe she's just exhausted in general from standing so long with her enormous bump in ninety degree weather. "It's nice to finally put a face to a name."

"You as well," Regina politely replies before their small group is swallowed whole by deafening silence.

It's obvious everyone is still gawking at Regina like she's some A-list celebrity and Emma needs to come up with an excuse fast to end this misery.

"Uh, come on, Regina, how about a drink and I'll introduce you to my dad and Neal. If we don't go to them, you won't meet them. They will be glued to that grill all night," she laughs lightly, rolling her neck and nodding to where both men are very seriously staring at their meat.

"We will speak more soon," Mary Margret rushes to say as Emma leads Regina very far away from them.

"Sorry," she murmurs, leaning heavily into Regina's side and for the first time, she recognizes the calming aroma radiating off the woman. It's a light, flowery scent that reminds her of lavender and now this fragrance will forever be associated with Regina.

"No need to apologize."

"No, I do. My mom is so embarrassing, I promise my dad won't be so dramatic."

"Emma, please, don't apologize," Regina urges before a carefree chuckle escapes those plump lips. "You do remember meeting my family as well, correct? They were far worse."

"They really weren't that bad. I think I held my own."

"Indeed you did," Regina hums appreciatively, provoking a sweltering heat to rush through Emma's system.

Damn her for always sounding so flirtatious.

"Um...would you like a drink?" She nervously offers. "We have beer, I'm pretty sure my mom is making margaritas or I could make you a mean martini," she rambles, popping open a cooler to soothe the fire blazing against her cheeks. 

"Are you having a drink?" Comes the gentle tone from behind her that always makes Emma's heart melt into a pool of sappy goo.

"I...I haven't yet." She stands up from the cooler, pivoting until she meets those rich eyes that are watching her closely. Watching Emma like she's the most precious, yet fragile thing to ever come into her life. "It's been seven months," she weakly defends as Regina nods curtly.

"You are in the clear to drink...in moderation," Regina hastily adds on.

"Just one tonight? I kind of want my palate clean for when we go back to the vineyard," she muses, earning herself a warm smile that keeps spreading further and further into Regina's cheeks.

"Wise decision," her friend praises, reaching behind her to pull out two chilled bottles of hard cider. She offers one to Emma, their eyes never straying, their smiles never wavering and Emma is sure her heart is going to implode if it doesn't reach this woman soon. "Now, shall we go meet the man who has gifted you with all your charming qualities?"

Emma's head tilts to the side, her brows furrowing as she twists off the cap to her cider. "What?"

"Well, you sure didn't inherit those qualities from the woman I just met," Regina deadpans, inspiring Emma to snort, the alcohol burning through her nose as she desperately attempts to not spit all over this classy woman.

"Are you saying my mom isn't charming?" She interrogates, but she can't seem to stop the small laughter from leaking out of her mouth.

"I'm saying, I know exactly where your nervous fumbling and rambling mouth comes from and I am curious where your charming, hero-syndrome comes from."

"Right this way," Emma chuckles and if she doesn't stop this stupid grin from stretching, her face will be permanently stuck this way. Forever grinning like the damn fool she is for a stunning brunette with a dark sense of humor. "Dad?"

Her handsome father jerks to the right at the sound of his daughter's voice. A warm smile slipping into place as his ocean blue eyes sparkle with love. "Hey, kiddo. Hi, Regina."

"Hello, Mr. Swan," Regina politely says, offering her hand and causing David to fumble to accept the gesture.

"Just David. I'm not that old, yet," he teases, provoking both women to smile from ear to ear, but Regina's eyes trail back to study Emma closely.

Her cheeks instantly flare up under the inspection and she wonders what Regina can possibly be thinking with that broad smile on full display and those warm honey eyes lingering around Emma's mouth. Emma needs to take a long sip of her cider to cool down her burning body.

"I'm Neal," her friend happily introduces himself, offering his famous little wave.

"Ah, three pump and dump," Regina smugly muses, forcing Emma's drink to sputter out of her mouth, dribbling down her chin and effectively spraying the grill while David fails miserably to hold in his laughter.

Neal's face falls, his cheeks glowing crimson as he shoves his hands into his pockets. "Ah, come on, Ems, you told her?" He whines, thoroughly embarrassed, but Regina smirks.

"You really are evil," Emma mumbles, sliding her forearm across her mouth, but this woman simply shrugs noncommittally.

"I have a feeling I'm going to like you," David ponders out loud, his smile never slipping as he meets Regina's eyes. "You're funny."

"Well, David," Regina drawls, trying out his first name instead of the formality like he requested, "it seems your daughter inherited your sense of humor, so I think I'm going to like you as well."

David snatches up his beer bottle and taps the neck against Regina's bottle, both sharing the same accepting smile as they cheers.

"So, what are you boys cooking?" Emma inquires, attempting to normalize the conversation and end the formal greetings.

"You know your dad," Neal wholeheartedly laughs, offering a plate so David can remove some items from the grill. "He's got burgers, hot dogs, bratwurst, shish-kabobs, grilled chicken, corn on the cob..."

"You hungry?" Emma directs her question toward Regina, but her hand is already stealing two plates.

"I could eat," Regina vaguely responds, never confirming if she is hungry or not. "What are you having?" She softly inquires, leaning a little closer into Emma's side.

And damn Emma's traitorous heart for having a mind of its own, demanding that she drifts a little closer as well. Maybe meet this woman halfway.

"I think I'm going to have the barbecue chicken. My dad makes his own sauce and it's to die for," she raves, her father already plopping the biggest piece onto her plate. "But you should definitely try his burgers. He puts this special rub on it, the secret ingredient is cinnamon-"

"Emma!" David scolds, aggressively snapping his tongs in her face. "You're as bad as your mother with keeping secrets! It's a secret rub!"

She offers him the most lopsided grin and shrugs, not at all deterred by his scolding. And it's impossible to ignore the way Regina is smiling so softly and watching Emma so damn closely.

"I'll have the burger," Regina quietly says, almost as if she's embarrassed to order such a thing.

"Medium rare, medium, well?" Neal asks. "Cheese? No cheese? Cheddar? American? Provolone? Mozzarella?"

"Medium, please, with mozzarella."

"Nice selection," David happily compliments, adding cheese to a burger that apparently has Regina's name on it. "You're welcome back anytime."

Emma fails to suppress her smile, but that's okay, because when her dancing eyes meet Regina's, her friend is smiling just as wide back at her.

~~~~~

"So, be honest, how is it?" Emma mumbles around her fork, assessing the way those full lips enclose around the burger piled high.

Regina rolls her eyes, obviously annoyed that Emma would choose this particular moment to ask her question. Emma never falters though, her smile is even wider as she hunches over her plate and watches Regina eat beside her. Her friend quickly chews and swallows, washes her mouth clean with a sip from her bottle and then wipes her mouth with a napkin. Always so proper.

"It's very good," she admits before she slides to the edge of her seat, invading Emma's personal space and causing her entire body to go haywire from that succulent lavender aroma. "Just a bite, everything in moderation," she sternly clarifies, but the burger is practically ghosting Emma's lips already.

"I mean, it looks pretty healthy to me." Regina hums, her eyes drifting down to where Emma is speaking slowly. "Lettuce, tomato, avocado and mozzarella cheese, it's practically a salad."

"Practically," Regina vacantly replies.

Emma encloses the very minimal gap between them, her teeth sinking through all the layers until there is an explosion of flavors dancing upon her tongue. She moans, her hand coming up to cover her mouth as Regina slowly pulls the burger back.

"I forgot how good red meat is," she groans all the more, ignorant to the way Regina is shifting in her seat, inspecting her like a new specimen under a microscope.

And both women are ignorant to the fact that Mary Margret and Ruby are observing from afar with their eyebrows rising and their chins hanging to the floor.

Unexpectedly, Regina drops her burger, her eyes dart to her left as she leans back a little in her seat. The smile that blossoms, steals Emma's breath away. Emma tilts her head to the side, analyzing this spectacular woman, curious as to what happy thought could be bouncing around in her head.

"What?"

"Brown-eyed girl. God, I haven't heard this song in so long," Regina breathes out, her smile exuberant and taking over her whole face.

"Yeah?" Is all Emma's mouth can produce because she is rendered speechless by this woman's natural beauty.

Regina's eyes sweep back to Emma's and it's so obvious the way this brunette softens when speaking to her. "Yes, my father always sang this song to my mother when we were children."

"See, stern man...big softy at heart," she teases, her eyebrows dancing, very clearly insinuating that Regina is the same. "Come on," Emma urges, pushing off her chair to tower over Regina, "let's dance."

Regina appears mortified by the offer, judging by her owl eyes and the pink tint flaring upon her cheeks. "Absolutely not, Miss Swan," she sternly declines, her body immediately sliding back further into her seat to hide.

"Why not?" Emma asks through a pout, offering her right hand to solidify her invitation.

Regina's dark eyes drift down to that gentle hand and for a split second, Emma is confident her friend is going to cave. "No, I'm not dancing in a crowded place full of strangers," she hisses. "I hardly even danced at my own wedding."

"Seriously? What's the matter? You don't like dancing? Or are you not very good?"

Regina blinks up at Emma, her eyes narrowing and cold as she grips Emma's wrist and tugs her back down into her seat. "I'm just a private person," she whispers. "I don't like any attention on me, I rather stay in the shadows."

"You were a lawyer," Emma flatly rebuttals. "All eyes were always on you."

"That's different. That's just...playing a roll. The judge and the jury weren't watching me to uncover pieces of my life. It wasn't about me, the attention was always on my client."

"I guess." Emma shrugs, seeming unconvinced before she pops right back up again and Regina looks horrified. "Come on, I know these people. We have this party every year and every year when people have had a few, one person starts dancing and the entire group joins."

Regina anxiously combs her fingers through her hair, flipping the strands to strategically hide away her blush and Emma finds it all too endearing.

"No," she mutters so low that it comes off more of a growl, thanks to the rasp that's always in her voice.

Emma pouts, her hand coming out again as a silent invitation, but Regina regards her closely. She swallows, because the song Regina loves is slowly fading away and stealing the moment along with it.

"Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-te-da," Emma softly sings, visibly witnessing as Regina softens for her, but it's too late.

The song ends and the moment has completely vanished from existence. Emma deflates, huffing her disappointment as she plops back down into her chair. There's a thick wall of silence between them; Regina still inspecting every detail of Emma's face while Emma tries to look anywhere but in those rich, mesmerizing eyes.

Regina produces an audible gulp before clearing her throat. "How about a slice of the best apple pie you've ever tasted?" She timidly suggests, provoking green eyes to finally slide back and offer their attention.

"We'll see about that," Emma teases, a small smirk sliding into place and washing away all signs of awkwardness between them.

~~~~~

Regina's homemade apple pie seemed to be a success and not nearly enough for all the guests.

"This really was scrumptious," Mary Margret compliments, her finger dabbing across her plate to gather all the leftover crumbs. "I'm not a fan of apple flavored things, never was, but this," she raves, popping her finger into her mouth and grinning.

"Well, thank you. I'm so glad you enjoyed it," Regina shyly says, curling a piece of hair behind her ear and convincing Emma that it's a cute little nervous tick.

"Like I said, you're welcome back anytime, but make sure you bring another one of these next time," David teases, earning himself a playful slap against his chest from his wife. He simply smiles in return though, slings one arm around her and plants a sloppy kiss to her temple.

However, Emma misses the interaction because her attention is drawn to Regina, who is attempting to stifle another yawn. She checks her phone, noticing that it's just after eight and she should have known by the way the sun has slowly started to droop.

Emma leans heavily into Regina's side and lowers her voice to remain discreet. "That's like the fifth yawn during dessert."

Regina blinks, slightly startled by the close proximity. "I'm fine."

"You're still not sleeping," and it's not a question or a cruel accusation, just a simple observation and Emma knows Regina appreciates the concern and not the scolding.

"I'm fine," her friend reassures her, gently patting Emma's knee beneath the table to back up her claim. "Fireworks will be in a little over an hour and then I'll head home."

"Or...we can go upstairs and you can stay the night because I really don't want you driving almost an hour this exhausted."

"I'm fine, Emma," Regina states with conviction and it would have been all fine and dandy if she didn't end the sentence with another yawn.

"Nope, nope. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I let you leave and something happens. You're staying," she firmly demands, leaving no room for further argument.

But this is Regina. "Emma-"

"Nope, come on. We can sneak away."

"No, at least let's stay to watch the fireworks, I'll be fine." Except this woman is fighting another yawn.

"You've seen at least thirty-five years of firework shows," Emma argues, provoking Regina's glare to pin her with a stern look for almost revealing her true age. "Come on, we can watch a movie and maybe you can sleep a few hours."

Emma abruptly stands, extending her hand down for another invitation, her heart pleading with this woman not to reject her again. Regina's gaze drifts down to that hand once more, but this time, hesitantly, she places her own hand inside and Emma's heart explodes. She smiles softly at Regina and slowly curls her fingers around the woman's dainty hand, leading the way to her room.

Emma glances back at the party as they step into the house and of course, she makes direct eye contact with Ruby. Her heart starts thumping, a blazing heat washes through her body because she is sure her best friend is about to call her out for trying to sneak away with the smoking hot brunette. Those glowing green eyes are stern, more serious than Emma has ever encountered before. She gulps in fear, but luckily, Ruby seems to exhale slowly before she breaks the eye contact.

"Are you sure people won't miss you?" Regina softly whispers over Emma's shoulder, that warm breath tingling against the back of her ear, but she shoves those desires away.

Regina is her friend.

"Nah, it will be fine. Besides, I've seen enough firework shows, they're all pretty much the same anyway," she flippantly explains, hoping to come off indifferent because right now, Regina sleeping is her top priority.

Regina seems to detect the lie, but maybe she is too exhausted to fight because she nods and obediently follows Emma to her room.

Emma immediately rifles through her drawers for something more comfortable for Regina. She pivots, holding up soft cotton shorts and a big t-shirt, but Regina seems to subconsciously shiver.

"Are you cold?" Emma tenderly questions, a full pout taking over her thin lips.

"I'm fine," Regina vacantly replies and Emma briefly wonders if this woman's brain is programmed to automatically spit that small phrase when she's being questioned.

Emma doesn't call her out on the lie, instead she yanks on another drawer and pulls out a pair of sweatpants. She spins back around, carefully places them in Regina's hand and then heads to her closet to retrieve a zip-up for the brunette as well.

"Thank you," Regina shyly whispers.

"No problem. There is a bathroom across the hall if you want to change," Emma starts to explain, but Regina is already peeling away the straps from her dress, down her toned arms.

Emma doesn't mean to, she swears she doesn't, but her stupid body produces a rather loud gulping noise. Every cell in her body sets on fire, forcing her to quickly spin around and avoid the situation entirely. Clearly, Regina is confident with her body, she also must have it in her head that Emma isn't the least bit attracted to her. Why else would she strip away in front of her?

It's only a minute later when Emma hears Regina finish with her clothing and slip into her bed.

"Better?" She asks, spinning back around to witness Regina making herself right at home.

"Mmm, thanks again," she murmurs, the sleep evident in her voice the moment her head hits the pillow.

"Stop thanking me," Emma states, rolling her eyes as she loses her jean shorts and slips into the cotton ones she had originally offered Regina.

She notices right away that there are a set of dark eyes calculating her every move. All too quickly, the vile venom of self-consciousness and insecurities claw their way to the forefront of her mind; shaming her, picking at old wounds that still haven't completely healed, until she bleeds with embarrassment. She swallows thickly, her eyes glistening as she abruptly spins around to remove her tank top. She chooses to leave her bra on, just an extra layer to keep that hideous scar hidden, before she slips into a baggy concert tee.

When she turns back around to face Regina, she is sure someone lit a match to her skin and is watching her burn down to ash. Regina is regarding her with too much concern, her bottom lip puckering out like she knows that Emma is ashamed of the scar that saved her life. A scar she should wear proudly and be so damn thankful for, but for some reason...she can't.

She ducks down, using her golden curls as a shield to hide away her flushed cheeks and busies herself with scooping up her dirty laundry.

"So, uh...you want me to put a movie on to help you fall asleep?" She suggests, hoping to step around the topic she's been avoiding for quite some time now.

"It's eight o'clock, I'm sure you aren't tired. Put a movie on, Emma."

"Right."

Emma carefully climbs onto the bed, maneuvering herself until she is resting against the headboard. Maybe Regina is uncomfortable, but Emma suspects she's feeling far too exposed and vulnerable in her current position, so her friend shifts up, leaning her back against the headboard as well, shoulder to shoulder.

"What are you doing? You're tired, lie back down."

"I'm fine," Regina scoffs once again, folding her arms across her chest. "What movie are you thinking?" She investigates, but her eyes are fluttering closed as she cranes her neck from left to right, either stretching her sore muscles or trying to keep herself awake.

Emma sighs. "I don't know," she mumbles, clicking on her television and flipping to her amazon prime app with her ridiculous amount of purchased movies. "Oh, have you seen Ironman?"

"No, can't say that I have," comes through another yawn.

"Alright, you okay with watching it?"

"Of course," Regina sleepily murmurs.

Emma is already pressing play and shifting to make herself more comfortable. "I love everything superheroes. DC, Marvel, doesn't matter to me, all good movies in my opinion."

"You nerd," her friend lightly chuckles, but her voice is becoming deeper, more far away from the reality they live in.

Emma plays the movie and it takes Regina all of fifteen minutes to completely surrender to utter exhaustion. She peeks over at the brunette and she can feel her entire body sag with sappy affection for this gorgeous human. Just from the stories Regina has divulged about her past, Emma knows for damn sure, she would never allow anyone to see her so vulnerable. Emma's little crush expands five times its normal size in that brief moment. She knows Regina is starting to let her guard down, finally allowing Emma in to see all of her. All her broken pieces, all the wounds that are still tender and healing...all her scars.

Emma's eyes automatically drift to the scar embedded deep in the woman's upper lip and her heart stutters. The indent is incredibly sexy, but she knows how insecure it makes Regina and well, that's something Emma is all too familiar with. Her thumb tingles, wishing to reach out and caress the mark, needing to assure Regina that it only makes her more beautiful, but this is her friend.

She hastily folds her arms across her chest to keep those sneaky suckers to herself and redirects her attention back to the movie.

"Looks like you and my mom have more in common than you think," she softly teases, hoping not to disturb Regina.

Technically, Regina doesn't wake up, but she does sigh softly, her head drifting until she lands upon Emma's shoulder, stealing every ounce of oxygen from Emma's lungs. She stiffens from the contact, torn between accepting the friendly cuddle or slightly petrified that Regina will wake up and be completely outraged. Maybe murder her.

But then, Regina visibly relaxes, her body sinking deeper and closer into Emma like she desperately needs her warmth, her support, so every rational thought is immediately vacuumed from Emma's brain. She smiles to herself, sinks into the comforting touch and focuses back on the movie ahead.

In her sleep, Regina inhales sharply, her body subconsciously scooting closer to the heat emitting from Emma, like she wants to burrow in deep and remain safely hidden...protected from the world. In the process, her head slips off Emma's shoulder, her neck straining uncomfortably and Emma knows if she doesn't reposition the woman, she's going to wake up with a stiff neck.

So, very carefully, at a snail like pace, Emma eases them both down into the bed more comfortably. She tucks her right hand behind her own head for support, so she can continue watching the movie and well, because her left arm is effectively trapped beneath Regina's entire torso. And that's when it happens, Regina squirms a little closer and rests her head upon Emma's chest, her body molding perfectly against Emma's side like the missing piece to a Lego block.

And every inch of Emma is filled with this warmth that soothes her soul like no other lover has ever before. She isn't sure if she wants to cry from the overwhelming emotions bubbling up to the surface or if she wants to run as far and as fast as she can because no. No, they cannot grow closer. No, they cannot become intimate.

No, Emma could never allow this woman to love her, just to lose another loved one in the end.

Ten years.

Ten years is all she's offered.

Ten years is the normal expectancy after a heart transplant.

Ten years.

"Emma, what are you-" Mary Margret's voice shreds through those haunting thoughts, but her mother trails off when she finds the intimate position she and Regina are in. "Oh..." she stumbles, hastily shuffling backward. "I-uh...we were wondering where you ran off to...I'm sorry."

"Sshhhhh," Emma hisses. "Regina hasn't been sleeping lately. I think she's suffering from PTSD," she whispers, pleading for her friend to stay fast asleep and miss this entire encounter.

"Oh," is all that tumbles out of her mother's mouth, her eyes straining on where exactly Regina's head is resting. "I just...is that really..."

"Mom, not now," she groans and her agitated tone is enough to convince her mother to stop staring and meet her gaze. "Please, just go."

"Right," Mary Margret concedes, but her feet haven't actually agreed to anything which has this woman awkwardly shuffling in circles, like she has no idea where she is or where to go next.

Emma rolls her eyes and then pins her mother with a stern look that has the older woman scurrying right out of sight. She groans to herself, humiliated that her mother caught her in such a compromising position because she knows that damn woman better than anyone and she knows she's on her way to blab to her father and friends.

She releases a small whimper, sinking further into the mattress below which causes a reaction from the sleeping brunette. Without any hesitation, (so Emma knows this lady is out cold), Regina swings an arm across Emma's torso and pulls her in even closer.

Fuck it, Emma thinks, because obviously Regina is searching for some sort of comfort. So, she slips her arm out from under the woman, thankfully undetected, and wraps it around her body. A frail body, that Emma never took the time to realize just how thin Regina actually is.

She holds her close, provoking a sleeping Regina to cuddle even further into her warmth...into her heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 287 12
a drop in the ocean, a change in the weather I was praying that you and me, might end up together. (COMPLETED) cc: swanqueenhot/weheartit (!) i wro...
3.1K 79 4
Regina Mills, once a dorky teen, falls in love with someone that she never thought would give her the time of day. Now she's a rich adult sharing a f...
111K 4.1K 21
This is the sequel to Madam Mayor and you have to read the first one to understand this story. This story picks up right where Madam Mayor ends from...
111K 4.7K 33
Emma and Regina have been through a lot to get to where they are. They finally feel as if they have found their happy place, and the Swan-Mills ladie...