𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xcv. boromir's return

253 13 4
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬𝑻𝒀 𝑭𝑰𝑽𝑬
❝ 𝒃𝒐𝒓𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒓'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA DISTINCTLY REMEMBERED A TIME when she was not but a child, less than the age of mere fifteen. It was a memory so vague and distant that she doubt it even happened, but the nagging feeling at the back of her head told her otherwise. The scene before her was confirmation of the thought.

It was like watching something that wasn't real — a fever dream, if you will — where everything was hazy and foggy, and Vera can barely decipher the vision. She has no recollection of what happened before, or why she is even here, but she found herself uncaring. There was no urgency within her that pleaded for a response to the curiosity, which was momentary bewilderment for her.

Her attention drifted to pressing matters, such as the one displayed before her. She can immediately recognize the stillness serenity of the water surrounding her, and sighed in pure bliss at the comforting embrace it accompanied naturally. Water always was a part of who Vera was and nothing could ever change that. Immediately, Vera recognized the outer borders of Atlantis just around the corner, the golden shine illuminating in the sunlight under the surface of the sea. A faint tug in her heart signified how much she missed the kingdom of riches but the identifiable voice of another caught her attention once more.

"Corin! You promised you would help me fight!" little Vera complains angrily to the laughing figure of a merboy swimming speedily away.

Shock settles in Vera's system. Was she watching...herself? No matter how odd the situation was, though, Vera was merely accepting it as it went; she had been through a lot more out worldly incidences. If it meant watching her younger self in what seemed to be a memory, then so be it.

This did help Vera understand better though; she was not conscious, nor was she quite lucid.

It was strange and out of the ordinary for Vera to see herself as a youth, which she registered after spotting the grey tail she adorned; Vera was known for her unorthodox tail during her younger years, and nothing could mistake it for another. It was what symbolized her as a royal.

Vera doesn't remember this certain memory...

"Do not cry, Vera, I would love to teach you how to fight!" responds Corin, circling young Vera tauntingly, who folded her arms and pouted angrily.

"Then why do you refuse to do so?" she snapped.

Vera smiled.

"Because your brother would kill me," answered Corin simply.

Vera rolled her eyes, similar to young Vera's action at that exact moment. "My brother would never have to know."

Ah...Vera remembers this memory now. Shortly after Vera said those words, Neptune Prince in his younger-self glory arrived with his little nose stuck in the air — reminder: Neptune is younger than Vera, though he never did act like it.

"I hear a little mermaid being silly, again! Please, Vera, I know everything..."

"Oh, do shut up!" little Vera responded, her temper imploding in a matter of seconds. Corin merely laughed from behind her, which didn't help in any way, and her anger was directed at him in a matter of seconds. Moments later, the trio of best friends was arguing amongst each other, Corin and Neptune mostly laughing at Vera.

The elder Queen observed the situation with soft chuckles and a tug in her heart; oh, how she missed the younger years of her life. They were all rather naive, so innocent, and now they are ruined and flawed, exposed to the world around them.

"You were quite the character as a child."

Vera felt her heart drop. Her smile vanished in a matter of seconds and Vera swore that she felt her soul leave her body. The color in her face disappeared completely, and shock settled in her system, rendering her frozen. There was no way...there was no freaking way.

"Will you not greet your closest friend, Vera Adelaide? I thought you had better manners than that."

She turned around so slowly, blinking carefully to ensure that the figure in front of her was real. That the man before her, was not a figment of her imagination; not something her mind conjured up to comfort her; not some sick, twisted fate that Eru wished upon her. No...it is real. She feels it in her bones...she isn't dreaming. Her friend — her dead friend — is here...talking to her.

"Am I dead...again?" whispered Vera, her voice so soft that it was barely heard.

Boromir smiles gently. "No. Although I do have something to say to you about that."

He looked angelic. Well, yeah, he's dead — was dead — is dead? Vera isn't sure, at this point, but Boromir looked just like she remembered; the same luminous, beautiful blue eyes that brought her comfort that challenged Legolas', the bright, knowing smile that enhanced his boyish looks and gave him youth, and the happiness uplifting his features only added to the glow of his face. Vera felt like crying.

Boromir, her closest friend, was here with her again, after she thought she would never see him again.

Once it registered in her mind, all care was thrown to the wind, and everything else was forgotten. She rushed forth to embrace Boromir — or choke him, more like (not that it mattered, because he was dead, and she was with him now as a gift from Eru.) — and Vera had no plans of letting go whatsoever. The brunette felt his chest vibrating in laughter, and underneath that, she could hear the beating of a heart, and her eyes watered even more.

"You're alive...how are you alive? You—you died, Boromir! I—I saw you die, right in front of my eyes—" stuttered Vera, pulling back to survey the friend she yearned to feel once more. But the sight of him smiling so warmly like the sun, made Vera copy his happiness. "It is good to see you, mellon nîn. I have missed you."

"Ay, Vera, you have wasted time in that. I do not blame you, all those who suffer grief tend to waste their lives wishing someone who is at peace was with them, now," sighed Boromir, though his tone was light.

Vera frowned. "How could you say that? Bor, I saw you die! How could I just forget about you?"

"Hey, I did not say 'forget about me!' Now that is plain offensive!"

"But—"

"Vera, I said, there is no point missing somebody...not when they never have left you."

Vera glanced at him, and stared deep into his eyes to catch the sincerity in them, and smiled sadly. "It is hard to not miss my dearest friend when I am unable to talk to him like this...I have missed you."

"'Tis a waste of time, though flattering," Boromir replied nonchalantly — and almost scoldingly — "I was with you through every step of the way, Vera. Every. Step."

The brunette looked down in guilt, the memories of her past experiences flashing through her head and imagining the disappointment Boromir must feel at her by her decisions, especially the ones within her now. Unconsciously, Vera glimpses at her stomach. Boromir follows her gaze.

"You must be disappointed, then," commented Vera bitterly.

"Disappointed, perhaps...but I cannot say I do not understand why you have done it. Everything you've done was with reason and character; to hate that was to hate you, and I would never—"

"—Well, we did hate each other—"

"—shut up, please—!"

"You've gotten meaner since I last saw you!"

"Wiser is the word—Vera! We are running out of time. I cannot do this, now."

Silence unleashed between the two and a thick tension settled. Vera looked at Boromir and noticed the sadness hidden beneath the layers of joy in his eyes.

She shakes her head and coldly asked, "What am I doing here, Bor? You're dead."

He flinched at her tone, and though Vera felt bad, she wasn't going to go back on her word. Because it was the mere truth. Nothing could reverse death or bring someone back to life; the world didn't work that way. Boromir was dead, and the only way Vera was able to talk to him now was a mystery unknown to her but a mystery with a reason behind it.

Boromir sighed, unsatisfied. "Vera, I love you. And I only wish for the best in you, truly. You need to move on. You never brought closure or peace to yourself after my death, and there is a part of you holding you back from greatness. I have seen the paths of your fate and they are so, so wonderful...but incredibly dangerous. It will not be easy, but I believe in you. I always will believe in you. I need you to know...I am at peace. I am happy. I am alright."

"Thank you," she murmured, leaning forward to rest her head on his shoulder, breathing in his presence. "Will I wake up again?"

"Soon," Boromir promised. "Sweet Vera, be brave. Never let the challenge scare you. You may be with child...but you come from generations of strong, royal women, not only from Atlantis or Rohan but of Gondor as well. You are the legacy of the New World, and you are meant for greatness. Be brave. And have faith; the Valar is in your odds."

Vera closed her eyes, letting his words sink in, and she smiled in content. Her heart tugged in sadness, feeling the similar pull of her body being transported from another place to the world she belonged in, the world of the living, and she let herself feel Boromir one last time. "I love you."

Boromir's voice sounded like a distant, faint whisper. "I will see you again, Lady Vera."

And then, Vera was gone, and so was Boromir.

Immediately upon her arrival on land, Vera was plunged into battle and war, and bloodshed. She had no time to recognize the approaching end of a sword swung to behead her, but managed to duck out of the way in time, kicking the Orc down to the bottom, and letting her people finish him off from underneath.

Adrenaline in her system, she continued fighting, violently swinging her sword and daggers to slaughter anyone in her way. Vera almost didn't realize the flow of water unleashed from within her, outstretching all around to protect her from her blindspots. Once she was free from the clutches of death, Vera took time to survey her surroundings and felt her heart drop at the lack of warriors on their side. Yes, numbers were decreasing on both armies. No more blood should be spilled.

Vera's attention landed on the form of two familiar blondes struggling to finish off a shadowed figure; someone she recognized as the screeching creature that dropped her into the water. Her eyes flared with anger and Vera wasted no time in advancing towards her cousin and friend before it killed yet another member of her family. She noticed Èowyn determinedly defending her uncle, and she pushed herself faster.

"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey," the Witch King hissed.

Vera smirked. "And you should not come between two women, yet here you are." Hope practically wilted in relief as the Wraith wheeled around slowly, his eyes glowing in anger. She tilted her head. "Missed me?"

In a matter of seconds, Vera caught the bite of the Nazgûl before she was bit, spinning around and in one swing, beheaded the creature that was feared by the people of Middle Earth. She let out a cry of triumph at the sight of the writhing head on the floor and smirked up at the Wraith with blood on her pale skin.

While the Witch King was shocked, Hope took the open opportunity of cutting its legs, rendering it useless and weak. It screeched out in pain and surprise, Vera would assume, and they both watched as the shadow fought for its life against the sharp blade of the blonde. It looked her in the eye and Vera carefully watched.

"You fool! No man can kill me! Die, now!" The Wraith lurched towards Èowyn, but before he could land hands on her, the Rohirrim woman jabbed her sword into his face.

"Luckily, I am no man!" she cries, releasing a similar cry as she finished the Witch King off, his scream of pain and cry of despair echoing as his head exploded. Then, he disappeared into nothing. Èowyn falls to her knees, crawling closer to her uncle. She turned back to Hope and Vera. "Go!"

The two women snapped out of their awed trance, sparing Èowyn a concerned glance, but obeyed the fiery blonde. Vera and Hope directed themselves to the field, swords at the ready as they simultaneously struck the nearest enemy to them. "That was so badass," whispered Hope.

Vera smirked at her blonde sister. "'Twas quite powerful."

"You know what isn't, though," countered Hope, swinging her sword down, "you being here!"

Vera groaned underneath her breath, throwing a dagger at the back of an Uruk's head. "I know, I know. Please, do not tell Legolas—"

"Legolas is the least of your worries, Vera! When I am done with this beast, you are the next victim to my dagger!" exclaimed Hope, affording an incredulous glimpse at the brunette. "I will kill you myself, and bring you back to meet my niece or nephew! You are smarter than this."

"I know what I am doing, Hope! It may seem like a stupid decision, I can understand why you would think that, especially with my condition, but truly, it is not what it seems like!"

"Seems like?! You are unbelievable!"

"Oh, please, I have heard tales similar to this. Do not reprimand me...hypocrite."

Hope stopped her fight and considered the words. "I hate Legolas."

Vera smiled in amusement and relief. "I wish I could say the same."

The blonde grimaced. "Gross."

Vera couldn't help but laugh at that, but that would soon be a mistake.

"What do we have here?"

Their attention snapped to the large frame of an Uruk-hai in front of them, and before either woman could process what was happening, Hope was unconscious on the floor, and Vera has flung back a great distance from where she originally was. Fear rippled her stomach intensely as she awaited the impact, unknowing of the water forming at the end to soften the brunt. She let out a small groan as she was let down carefully, her head beginning to throb at the effect.

Vera regained her vision just in time to discover the same creature attempting to slice her legs, allowing her to move aside and begin to crawl away. Her sword thumped a far distance from her, so she was unable to defend herself. The best she could do was find a stranded blade to kill it off. His aims were unbalanced and imperfect, which was her only miracle at that point, as it guaranteed her the opportunity to survive longer. She couldn't find Hope anywhere and prayed to Eru that she was alright.

However, the pressure of weight on her foot startled her, and she turned around to find the malicious smirk of the Uruk towering over her. "You think you can get away from me?" It licked its lips. Vera felt a shiver of disgust down her spine. Panic erupted and a ball of water unconsciously formed on her hands, but that was rendered useless as the Uruk stabbed its sword onto her forearm. She let out a cry of pain and worry, tears producing in her eyes, and Vera grit her teeth. "Goodbye, Queen Vera Adelaide."

She braced herself for the impact, ready for what was to come, but was saved by some miracle. A blade arriving perfectly in time by the hands of her favorite Ranger was her hail Mary, and she watched in complete relief as Gimli beheaded the Uruk before her eyes.

"No one will kill my friend, not when she is with child!" Gimli angrily yells, dropping his axe on the squirming body of their enemy. Aragorn smiled at his friend, leaning down to offer her his hand.

"How do you two—"

"Legolas may have mentioned it," answers Aragorn, bringing Vera up. "It is good to see you alive, mellon nîn."

"So far," jokes Vera lightly. "Where is Leg—"

She was interrupted, though, as a passing Oliphant stole her attention. She staggers at the surprising size of the creature and widens her eyes in shock; especially after spying the familiar form of her partner on the Oliphant. He rushes towards the tusks, swings back and forth between the legs, before landing gracefully on its back. Vera stares with eyebrows raised and an unimpressed expression as he begins to count under his breath, but she prays to the Valar that he maintains his balance.

Vera sees him grab a rope and swing down to cut the contraptions attached to the creature, effectively finishing off the occupants. Following this, Legolas flies to the top of the Oliphant, striking three arrows into its head to kill it off. Vera raises her brows as the thundering creature slides down, Legolas slipping right off and landing on his feet skillfully. Vera stares open-mouthed and conflicted but could not appreciate the talent of her partner because she realizes her mistake.

Legolas is going to kill me.

While her friends were distracted, Vera ducks down to continue fighting, hopefully disguising herself to avoid being caught by her beloved.

Legolas was used to war. He had lived long and youthful lifetimes as an elf, meaning that he had witnessed endless wars and gruesome battles. This was no different. Upon entering the Pelennor fields of Gondor, Legolas was thrust into battle unhesitantly and with no preparations — not that he needed it, for as a trained soldier in his home and country, and a son of Thranduil, Legolas was always prepared for battle.

However, he couldn't ignore the tug in his heart reverberating through his system. He only felt this once in his life before, and that was the battle of the Five Armies, in which a great battle was fought between large numbers of battalions against each other; it was the only war he had fought in where he was terrified. His Naneth was out there, fighting alongside his brothers and his father, while his sisters were off to one side of the mountain, one chasing after the other while the other chased after the dwarves.

It was a traumatizing experience for the entire family, and Legolas would never forget the constant anxiety in his stomach at the memories.

But, this was different.

Yes, his past situation was a horrible predicament, but the indescribable feeling of hopelessness he feels now is incomparable. It relentlessly gutted him and it nearly distracted him from the battles in front of him. Legolas was scared. And he didn't know why.

As far as he knew, Vera would be doing her best to avoid fighting in the war, especially after what had happened in Rohan but he knew her; she was unpredictable and headstrong. She would if she felt the need to — and it was rare she didn't — fight for the people of Gondor. He did not forget the blood that runs through her veins or her closest friend that passed away. Shaking his head, Legolas forced his attention to the reach of his arrow and drew back, hitting his target perfectly in the eye.

Vera would never put their child in danger...would she?

"Legolas!"

He whirled around, alarm rising instantly at the familiar voice. Neptune Prince fought his way through the emptying crowds of Uruk-hai valiantly, urgency in his tone. Legolas met him halfway, worry in his stomach.

"Neptune...where is—?"

"—Vera," answered Neptune...angrily? "Being stupid, that's what. I thought you two had an agreement!"

Legolas swung his dagger to behead an orc before replying, "As I understand, we do have an agreement! Where is she?!"

He knew she would do something stupid, he knew something would happen, and if he said he hated that about her, he would be lying, but he wished she wouldn't worry him so much. Legolas supposes it wasn't her intention, but more his love for her that sought it out.

"I was hoping you would know that, considering you share a special bond with her and the child growing in her womb—"

Before Legolas could counter it, a sudden tether struck and hit the approaching Uruk-hai from behind Legolas, who was ready to kill him at the moment he was vulnerable. Neptune and Legolas watched in surprise as the creature gargled blood and water out, eventually dying, and the tether retracting to its owner. The men followed the line, reaching a drenched but glowing Vera Adelaide at the end.

Her eyes illuminated a brilliant and bright blue, water surrounding her in swirls and protective measures, lurching out and leashing onto whoever it possibly could, effectively killing them. Neptune sighed in relief and paid Legolas a knowing glance. "There she is."

"There she is," reiterated Legolas under his breath, departing from Neptune's side to join his partner on the battlefield.

Someone was in trouble...

The moment Vera caught sight of an advancing and seemingly angry Legolas, she knew she was in trouble. Her eyes connected with his and she could detect the frustration in his eyes, but before they could meet, the war got in the way.

"Vera!"

The woman in question whirled to find her friend in need of help. She sent Legolas an apologetic look, who nodded in understanding, before darting off to aid Edgar and stand by his side. Vera arrives by him, breathless and so, so over it. The woman shared a glance with her blonde friend. "Ready?"

"More than ready," he replies, and instantly and in sync, both warriors fought for the land of Gondor.

The darkness influencing the light of Gondor diminished with every Uruk and enemy's death, and every swing of Vera's blade and every blow she took counted. Her friend fought alongside her for what seems like the longest time, but neither of them dared back down from their fights, nor did they distract themselves. Blood, sweat, and tears were dedicated to the determination of winning this battle and saving those innocent children and women and avenging the lives of those who were lost. Vera fought and she fought and she fought until there was nothing left.

Exhausted and wearied, Vera let her arms fall limp to her sides, her sword dropping consequently. The leftover bodies laid over the field were so clear for her to see, and now that there was nothing attempting to behead her, Vera could see the scattered forms on the floor. Her heart clenched, and she didn't know what to feel at that moment, but the fear of potentially seeing someone she knew on the ground, battered and beaten, consumed her. Vera limped forward, flinching at the stab wound on her forearm. She eyed it and slowly slithered water down to heal it. Her eyes tried to focus on one thing at once, but the blood loss and fatigue dizzied her.

However, her eyes were clear enough to notice the hunched-over figure of Edgar. Denial rest in her system. No. She stumbled forward slowly, regret in her chest. She didn't want to see who he was crying over. Please. Edgar glanced up at her after acknowledging her form. He sniffled. "I—"

"NO!" Vera and Edgar flinched at the weeping voice of Aldwin from afar, and they both know the worst is yet to come. Aldwin was at his son's side in a matter of seconds, sobs and cries echoing from him in despair. "My son! That's my son! Grimmund! Please, do not leave me, my son!" Aldwin pleadingly glanced at Vera. "Save my son! Save my family!"

Vera met eyes with her uncle and tears blurred her vision. She opened and closed her mouth, but there was no response. What could she say? It wouldn't work.

"No," Grimmund croaked out. Vera whimpered quietly. His eyes were slowly dying, a whiteness covering his skin that could only be described as death, and you could tell the life was leaving him. Pale and limp and cold. Grimmund always had a bright light in him, and to see it vanishing before her eyes made Vera want to fold in. Her strong warrior was leaving her. "There is no use. I am dying. I—I want you to know...that I love you...I love you all."

Aldwin laughs quietly. "You never told me that. The last time you told me you loved me was when you were not but a child...a boy. Now you are grown...but you will always be my boy."

Grimmund forces a smile. "I shall see you all...till then."

Vera waited with bated breath as Grimmund let out his last voice of life. Aldwin leaned over his son's dead body, wailing with devastation as Edgar placed a supporting hand on his next father figure. Vera, who felt like she was intruding, began to shuffle away.

She turned and saw Legolas, who patiently waited for Vera to reach him, and immediately upon physical contact, Vera was safe again.

She let everything out, buried under the embrace of her beloved, as she wept and cried and sobbed in an overwhelming mix of emotions she couldn't decipher. Legolas merely hugged her and held her as a pillar of her support, kissing her temple to comfort her, and repeating assuring words.

"We are okay. We survived this. I love you. Vera, 'tis alright," he would whisper repeatedly, until Vera fell limp in his arms, passing out of exhaustion.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

496K 24.3K 81
"𝑂𝑛𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑙𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑙. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆." Daeriel knew that fate could be cruel. After all, she was o...
24.1K 815 79
shes a pirate elf and hes an elf prince, what a pair right? legolas and maeral have been childhood best friends ever since they were pretty much 6...
148K 5K 91
Miranda has grown up on earth with her parents in their cabin home in the woods. Her mother works surrounded by nature and her father is a businessma...
76K 1.7K 20
Artemis that's my name. A Long long time ago a young elf prince gave it to me. He was the crowned elf prince of Mirkwood. His name Legolas he was a v...