The Restless Viscountess

بواسطة littleLo

Lady Imogen Wilde has lived her life in a body that does not work as it should. As she was born not breathing... المزيد

Wilde Family Tree
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Epilogue

Chapter 6

66.7K 3.2K 236
بواسطة littleLo

“If you build the guts to do something, anything, then you better save enough to face the consequences.” Criss Jami, Killosophy

--

Chapter Six

Imogen took several deep breaths in an effort to calm herself. Very quickly, her heartrate began to steady itself. If what Simon said was true, then she would do everything in her power to ensure that Moon did not spook and she was not bucked right off her back.

“Introduce yourself, milady,” instructed the hand softly, giving Imogen an encouraging nod.

What an odd idea, Imogen though. Nevertheless, she cleared her throat and said, “Hello, Moon. It is lovely to meet you. My name is Imogen.”

Both Simon and the hand laughed quietly. Even Emmeline was giggling from beside the stable. Imogen blushed. What had she done wrong?

“He meant hold your hand out, Lady Imogen,” clarified Simon. “Allow the horse to come to you, to see that you are no threat to her. He did not mean that you had to verbally introduce yourself.”

“Oh,” Imogen said, embarrassed. Her cheeks were flaming crimson. Imogen held up her arm and the hand slowly led Moon over to where she stood. She horse did not appear suspicious. Once Moon was near enough to Imogen’s hand, she quickly sniffed it before allowing Imogen to stroke her. Imogen placed her small hand on Moon’s long nose. She stroked her softly. Imogen moved her hand along Moon’s cheek and jaw, enjoying how calm the horse was in her presence. Imogen had never before been so close to a horse. She looked to powerful and strong.

“Very good, milady,” commended the hand. “Would you like to ride her? Just around the corral?”

Imogen nodded slowly. She eyed the side saddle warily. How could she ever climb atop the horse? Even now, merely standing, her legs were wobbling, her knees knowing together. She willed herself to remain standing. She had to remain standing. If Simon was right, then giving up and sitting down would do nothing for her future muscle strength.

While she was contemplating how on earth she was going to get into the saddle, Simon had already acted. He placed his hands on her hips and lifted her up effortlessly. In mere seconds, she was placed in the saddle.

“My God, you are light,” muttered Simon to himself.

Imogen did not respond. She was suddenly aware that she was atop a horse! She felt very unsteady, and yet very brace. Moon was shifting beneath her, and Imogen felt every movement. She felt as if Moon were swaying. It was such a different experience, to have an animal in charge of her fine movements.

Moon shifted her weight more dramatically and Imogen seized hold of the reins. She felt as though she were sitting on top of Moon’s shoulder blades.

“Shh,” hushed the hand as he stroked Moon’s neck.

“How is it?” asked Simon.

Imogen smiled down at him. She felt as though she had not smiled to widely in her life. Her facial muscles were beginning to hurt. She supposed they had not been used properly in years, either. “Brilliant,” she gushed, “absolutely brilliant.” Moon shifted her weight again. Imogen was not nervous, though she kept a tight grip on the reins.

Imogen’s head snapped around when she suddenly heard the barking of foxhounds in the distance. Her family were rapidly approaching. “Help me down, Colonel,” instructed Imogen in a forceful tone.

Simon furrowed his eyebrows. As he did so, his scar tissue nearly covered his right eye. “Whatever is wrong?”

“The hounds,” Imogen replied. “My family are near. If they see me atop a horse then my parents will be very angry.” With you, she neglected to add.

“You are trying something that you have never done before,” retorted Simon. “If I were in your parents’ shoes then I would be very proud.”

Imogen chewed on her lower lip. She could not jump down as her week legs would give way and she would no doubt break something.

It was too late. The foxhounds tore out of the woods like mad little things. They were quickly followed by her galloping family. They had returned earlier, no doubt at her mother’s insistence at not leaving Imogen alone for too long.

They all rode their horses towards the stables and they did not miss the sight in the corral. Bess immediately pulled on the reins and stared at Imogen with her mouth open. Alexandra halted also, but she had a proud smile on her face.

Elena seemed confused while Emmett and David looked furious.

Imogen gulped. Oh no, she thought.

Both her father and brother galloped their horses up to the corral before stopping abruptly. David quickly dismounted his horse and leapt over the stone wall. As soon as he was close enough, he grabbed Imogen by the waist and pulled her down from Moon’s back.

“What were you thinking, Imogen?” barked Emmett angrily. “You could have been killed! Horses are unpredictable creatures! How could you possibly put yourself in such a situation? You know your limits!”

It hurt Imogen that her father thought merely sitting atop a horse was dangerous for her, or rather someone like her. She knew he was only afraid for her, but after such an exhilarating hour or so, it was quite a disappointing end.

David checked Imogen for any superficial injuries. Angrily, and quite immaturely, she batted away his hands. “I am fine,” she snapped.

“Sir, it was my doing,” admitted Simon. Imogen turned her head to see him. He had quickly understood that Imogen’s warning about her family’s reaction was right. “I suggested that Lady Imogen try horse riding.”

“And what gave you the right to suggest such a thing?” Bess demanded to know. She had joined Emmett at the edge of the corral. Behind her, Elena and Alexandra stood holding the reins of the horses.

Simon frowned. “With all due respect, Your Grace, she was sitting on a horse, not marching in to battle.”

Imogen bit her lip and closed her eyes. He would do best by simply apologising. He was entering into an argument that he could not win. Nobody won an argument against her mother, not even her father.

“She might as well have been marching in to battle!” exclaimed Bess. “You have no idea of Imogen’s limitations. She could have been seriously hurt!”

David lifted Imogen once more and passed her over the wall of the corral to Emmett, as though she were nothing more than a helpless infant. Emmett then allowed Imogen to stand before him, though he kept a protective arm around her.

“Papa, I am alright. This is not Colonel Spencer’s fault. No one is at fault,” murmured Imogen.

Simon leapt over the wall of the corral easily. “Your Grace, again, with all due respect, you have no idea what true limitations are. I have seen men that look far worse than I do.”

Imogen could hear in his voice that his words were true. Simon had briefly disclosed a wartime experience to her. She wondered at what else had had seen.

“Imogen’s limitations have arisen from neglect,” he continued.

Oh no, she thought again.

“Neglect?” spat Emmett. “Are you accusing my wife and me of neglecting our child?”

That was a sensitive subject for her father, and Imogen knew that Emmett would take great offense at the insinuation. He had always striven to be a very attentive father. He did not want to be anything like his own father.

“No, Your Grace, just the opposite,” replied Simon calmly. “You have protected Lady Imogen from everything. You have unknowingly stopped her from developing. Thus, neglect.”

Imogen tried to send him a warning glance, praying that something in her hazel eyes told him to keep his mouth shut. If anyone was going to convince her parents that there had been neglect, it would be her, not mysterious colonel that they had known for all of five minutes.

“You do not take a lady anywhere without the permission of her parents, Colonel, no matter the circumstance,” Bess said firmly.

Simon nodded. “I understand, Your Grace. I hope you both can forgive me. I was only trying to make the young lady smile.”

And he had done. Imogen had done more than smile. She had exceeded even her own expectations by merely walking on her own. “Thank you, Colonel,” said Imogen gratefully. “I will ensure my father receives the letter.”

Simon bowed his head.

“What letter?” asked Emmett.

“An invitation,” corrected Simon, “to a ball that my brother and his wife are hosting. Rebecca insisted that I deliver it personally so that we could become better acquainted.” He smirked ever so slightly. “What an impression I have made.”

“You will tell Rebecca that we would be happy to attend,” instructed Bess. “So long as you do not ever put Imogen in danger again then we shall discuss this no more.”

“Mama, I was not in danger,” Imogen said quietly but her mother ignored her.

Her parents were very narrow minded when it came to her safety. Her entire family were.

“I would not have let anything happen to her,” promised Simon, “but I will be sure to ask your permission in future.”

Emmett looked sceptical, as if he knew there would not be another time. If only they had seen how happy and free she had been right before she heard the barking of the foxhounds. “You have Rebecca’s answer,” said Emmett in a dismissive tone.

Simon bowed his head once more before bidding them all farewell. He then made his way back towards the house.

“Papa, he was being kind to me,” Imogen said stubbornly. “That was the most fun I have had in ages, and I walked here by myself with no help at all!”

“You walked by yourself?” repeated Emmett.

Imogen nodded. “Yes, Papa. He is right about the neglect. If I do things by myself, I will get stronger. I would not need you or David to carry me anywhere. Would you not like that? I would not be so burdensome!”

“Hush now, Imogen. You are not burdensome.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead. “We will discuss this later.” He looked up to the hand, who had exited the corral with Moon. He was standing beside Emmeline at the entrance to the stable. “Please water the horses,” he instructed. “Let us now go up to the house. I would wager that luncheon is about to be served.”

Luncheon was very quiet and awkward. Imogen had needed the help to return to the house. She had been utterly exhausted, and no amount of willpower was going to help her legs to move at an appropriate pace.

Emmett had read Rebecca’s invitation aloud. The ball was to take place the following Saturday evening. A welcome, of sorts, for Simon.

Halfway through their meal, Emmett threw down his cutlery and exclaimed, “After years of James’ boasting, I never thought his favourite little brother would be so … so high and mighty!”

“Papa!” hissed Imogen. “He is not high and mighty. He is so wise!”

“Wise?” scoffed Emmett. “It was wise, was it, to put you on a horse?”

Imogen could feel the tears welling up in her eyes.

“Emmett, now is not the time,” Bess said firmly.

“Papa,” said Imogen hoarsely, her voice thick with emotion, “you have no idea what it is like to be inside this body. You walk from here to there as if it is nothing. I usually feel as though I cannot do anything. My body will not allow it. I am too weak to accomplish the simplest of tasks.” She looked up at her father and did her best to appear strong. “But today was different. I walked from my chair to the stable on my own. Colonel Spencer did not help me. He simply walked beside me. He merely gave me the encouragement that I needed. I can do whatever I want if I only try.”  

Emmett exhaled and pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. “You are so little, Imogen,” he murmured.

“I may be little, Papa, but I am not a child. You cannot treat me like one. Allow me to try, to sit on a horse if I wish to!” Imogen caught Alexandra’s eye. Her sister smiled at her triumphantly.

Emmett sighed, and nodded. “No horses,” he said firmly. “If you wish to move more independently, then you may, but you will stay away from horses unless your brother or I are riding with you.”

Imogen knew that this was as good a compromise that she was ever going to get. “Thank you, Papa,” she said gratefully.

There was silence for a moment before Alexandra filled it. “How did you enjoy your first English hunt, Elena?”

“Oh, I quite enjoyed it,” she replied honestly. “Though I do not understand why you call it a hunt. We only followed the fox.”

“Mama’s doing,” said David. “She could not bear the thought of killing anything for sport.”

“It is cruel and nasty and I refuse to partake in it,” Bess said adamantly.

“So we merely track them. It is just as enjoyable,” David continued.

Elena smiled. “I quite agree. Inflicting pain on another being for personal enjoyment …” she paused, “well, it reminds me of an unhappy time.” David took hold of his wife’s hand.

They were all well aware of Elena’s harrowing childhood inside the palace gates. Alexandra, Bess and Imogen had all seen her awful lashing scars at one time or another.

“How goes the christening plans, you two?” asked Bess, changing the subject. “Have we settled on a date? You must talk to the vicar soon and organise a time.”

Elena and David had been delaying Aurelia and Ana’s christening, waiting to hear if her family were able to attend.Elena had sent off letters to her family in both Spain and Denmark before the children were even born, wanting to ensure that at least someone would be able to attend.

“I actually received word from my mother this morning. I was going to announce this at dinner over a glass of wine or two.” Elena appeared slightly nervous. “My mother informed me that she is travelling from Denmark with my sister, and her daughter, Elena.” Named for her tía Elena, Elin was the Crown Princess of Denmark. That was until a son was born. “Do you think you could accommodate them?” she asked.

“But of course,” replied Bess cheerfully. “It will be lovely to have your family with us. This will be the first time you and Gabriela can behave as sisters openly before us, too.”

Elena blushed. The last time Gabriela was at Ascot, Elena had been in disguise. Her good sister had kept her secret, and Elena had acted as translator when Imogen was too tired to be with the family. “Yes, it will be.”

“Is Joaquín attending the christening as well?” asked Alexandra curiously. Poor Alexandra. There was absolutely no subtlety where she was concerned.

Elena pursed her lips and looked at Alexandra apologetically. “I wrote to my brother, and to Marisol. Marisol cannot yet part from her newborn and I have not heard back from Joaquín. He is busy obviously,” she said quietly, the disappointment evident in her voice.

Elena was not the only disappointed young lady in the dining room. Alexandra was frowning down at her soup as if it had wronged her in some way.

Selfishly, though, Imogen was glad that the topic of conversation had changed. While her family fretted about christening arrangements, Imogen wondered at what she would attempt to try next.

---

Hope you liked it!!

You all got this story to #1 on the Historical Fiction list! I completely flipped out with excitement!! Thank you all so much!! 

A lot of you have been asking and requesting that I write Alexandra's story next. I won't be. Alexandra's story was always going to be intertwined with this one. Anyways, I'm sure our favourite Spanish king will find a way to reappear sooner or later ;)

Anyways, I have Grey's Anatomy loading so I'm off to catch up on my show :) By the way, did you all watch the new Scandal? I was watching it on my laptop with my head phones in and it was so intense that I kept having to pause it and take breaks. God the writers are good! By the way, I totally called it! I knew her cellmate was in on it. Anyone else watching Arrow? I could literally talk about my TV shows all day :P I'm a major Olicity shipper so he better get home to her quicksmart!! 

I also watched the Super Bowl today. No idea what was happening. Was going for New England because my mum is English :P It got exciting even though I had no clue what was going on. Gotta say though, the Aussie Grand Final trophy presentation is better. But I'm a sucker for the little kids putting the medals over the players' heads hehe. I was driving my brother home from school and he'd been watching the game in the senior centre at lunch time and he was explaing to me why if one of the players takes the ball out of bounds, the play resets. If a player takes the ball out of bounds deliberately in Aussie football, the other team gets a free kick. Slowly but surely understanding lol. 

Anyways, vote and comment!

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

133K 8.5K 39
She did not want to match with one of his kind; he did not want to match at all. Lillian Adams was set to inherit her father's dukedom- once she had...
2.5M 116K 28
To the unknowing eye, the exotic young woman making her way through the English countryside is just another poor girl, hungry and looking for work. B...
30 0 5
Lady Imogen is a mischievous high society belle. Chartreuse is a talented seamstress with big dreams. Emmaline is a hardworking maidservant with a bi...
37.5K 1.6K 50
Book Two of the I Bleed series. - Fay is dealing with a lot now. Knowing her past took a bigger toll than Optimus thought it would, and led her to ex...