Chapter 2

“The highest result of education is tolerance.” Helen Keller

--

Chapter Two

Salisbury Hall was a lovely house that stood three storeys high on a flat green. In front of the house was a large lake that was filled with reeds and all sorts of aquatic creatures. Imogen very much liked the house, except for the horrid amount of stairs that led up to the front door. Ascot had only a few, whereas Salisbury Hall had a proper staircase.

“Do not complain, Imogen,” murmured David as he hooked his arms underneath her legs and around her waist.

Imogen did not complain. Allowing her family to help her with such obstacles was sensible. Imogen knew that if she attempted to climb the stairs by herself then she would surely faint, and what a lovely start to dinner that would be.

There was nothing worse than waking up in a strange bedroom while others enjoyed their evenings below stairs without her.

As soon as they reached the front door, Salisbury’s butler, Mr Roberts, greeted them with several footmen ready to take the coats and belongings of the guests.

The entry foyer of Salisbury Hall was not as grand as Ascot. It was more homely and humble, featuring warm, yet intricate, parquetry floors and a winding staircase that led up to the floors above.

“The party is gathered in the drawing room, Your Graces,” Mr Roberts informed Imogen’s parents. “Allow me to take you to them.”

“Thank you,” replied Emmett.

Imogen, while leaning on David’s strong forearm, followed Mr Roberts and her family down the corridor that the staircase concealed. Along the corridor were several doors which led into the library, dining and music rooms. The drawing room was somewhere in the middle, between the library and the dining room, Imogen recalled.

Mr Roberts opened the door for them and announced their arrival to the occupants of the drawing room. “His Grace, the Duke of Ascot, Her Grace, the Duchess of Ascot, Master David Wilde, Lady Elena Wilde, Lady Alexandra Wilde and Lady Imogen Wilde.”

Imogen was impressed that he had remembered all of their names, seeing as James and Rebecca frequented Ascot more than the Wildes frequented Salisbury Hall.

The settees in the drawing room were all occupied by members of Imogen’s family. Her grandmother, Marie, and her husband, Stephen, sat together on one of the red sofas. It was rare that Imogen, or anyone, was able to see them, as they had taken a liking to Bath in their older age. Stephen had long left the responsibilities of Pendleton Park to Derek. Her Aunt Charlotte, Uncle Nate, Aunt Rose and Uncle Derek, were all in attendance with their children, surrounding Rebecca and James, Lord and Lady Spencer, their young children, James and Simone, and the long awaited guest, the elusive Colonel Simon Spencer.

Imogen peered at Colonel Spencer. He was tall, taller than the gentlemen in her acquaintance, and he appeared very strong, as if he was used to hard work. He did not wear his red coat, though Imogen supposed that was because he was returned from the army. His hair was dark brown, and appeared thick. From where she was standing, she could not see anything that would warrant staring. Just what had Rebecca been referring to? Imogen wished that she had not been so vague in her letter. He appeared to have all his limbs and, from what she could see, there was nothing particularly abnormal about him.

“Ah, the final members of our party have arrived,” announced James just as soon as Mr Roberts had departed the drawing room. “Welcome, welcome,” he greeted cheerfully as he approached the Wildes with his hand extended. He and Emmett promptly shook hands. “I hope the carriage rise was not too arduous.”