Remember This✔

By autumnskiess

Molly has never felt safe. For four years she has lived in constant fear that the serial killer that murdered... More

Attention Wattpaders
Author's Note - Please Read!
Epigraph
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Remember This Too

Chapter Thirty-Five

433 17 0
By autumnskiess

The next day at lunch, Molly listens as the people at her table discuss homework projects and their favourite assignments. She stares at her phone as she puffs with boredom.

Halloween is fast approaching! Lauren texts her. You picked your costume yet?

Three days! Molly texts back. I can't wait. No, I think I'm just going to buy something from the store. Have you?

"He keeps looking at you." Louise nudges Molly's shoulder and points her eyes towards a table at the front.

Molly meets the warm gaze of an attractive guy with dark hair wearing a leather jacket. He sits with other attractive guys, most of them are tanned and physically fit. "I doubt he is."

"Well he's definitely not looking at me," Louise laughs. "Unless I've suddenly lost fifty pounds in the last ten seconds."

The others at the table pause their conversation to listen. The awkwardness is unsettling but Molly smiles through it, trying not to blush.

"Jack Walters," the skinny guy at the table, Henry, says. "You could do worse."

"If he comes over here and starts talking to us because of you then I will actually faint," Sammy says, she's incredibly superficial and she's already got a mirror in her hand as she pouts her lips. "I've had a crush on him since forever."

"Oh my god he's getting up!" Louise says as she squeezes Molly's arm. She runs a hand over her auburn hair, flattening it back. "He's walking over. Act cool. Act cool."

"I don't get what the big deal is," Molly says. "He's just a person."

"A person with influence. That means something."

The others nod and Molly sighs. She plays with her fingers as Jack crosses the cafeteria and hovers over her.

"Hey," he says. "Can I sit?"

"Sure," Louise answers.

Jack shoots her a look of confusion and then pulls the chair out next to Molly's. "I heard you were going to that party on Saturday and I wondered if you're going with anyone?"

Molly doesn't know what to say. How does he know about the party? How does he know that she's going? The only person at school that knows about it is Charlie and she's never seen him talk to anyone else at school. She was supposed to be going with him, he was the only reason that she said yes but it suddenly dawns on her that Charlie isn't the only guy in the world.

"No," Molly whispers. "I'm not."

"You want to go with me?" Jack smiles widely. "Camilla's practically inviting half of the year so I wanted to ask you before anyone else did."

"Camilla?" Molly says. "She's going?"

"Yeah, she has a thing with the party host. I don't think he's aware of it though." Jack laughs to himself and Molly scrolls her eyes around the cafeteria, finding Camilla waiting in the line at the counter.

"Interesting," Molly says.

"Is that a yes? Don't leave me hanging."

"Uh. . . okay?"

"Are you asking me or telling me?" Jack chuckles.

"Telling. Yes, I'll go with you."

"Okay, great. What's your number?"

Molly unlocks her phone and slides it over into his hand so he can copy it directly into his. She glances at the others at the table who are hanging on to every second as though they'll disappear if they miss it. He leaves it on the table and stands up.

"See you in class, Molly."

"Bye," she says.

Louise raises her hands and aligns them, lifting them up and down. "Charlie. Jack. I would actually kill to have your life right now."

"Trust me you don't want my life," Molly mumbles.

"You talking about Charlie Park?" Sammy asks. Louise nods. "He doesn't date girls from school, good luck with that."

"You weren't there," Louise says. "He was running after her like a madman."

"I guess you have that influence on boys, Molly," Henry says as he looks at her strangely. "Just be careful, guys like Jack, they surround themselves with idiots."

Molly holds her breath as Camilla spots her and starts charging over with a pile of leaflets in her hand.

"I'd invite you but I was told you've already been invited," Camilla says as she leans down onto the table with her hands apart. "I know how much you like stealing boyfriends so back off from Perry, he's mine."

"Perry isn't yours, Camilla," Molly says. "Does he know that you're inviting seniors to his party?"

Camilla breathes heavily and stares at Louise. "What are you looking at? No wonder there's no food left, you've clearly eaten it all."

Louise laughs. "Don't test me, girl because I do not play nice."

"I'm shaking," Camilla mutters. "I bet you're just jealous because losers like you don't get invited to parties or anything really."

Molly reaches over the table and takes one of the leaflets, passing it to Louise. "You guys want to come to a party on Saturday?"

"Love to," Louise says.

"I'm there," Sammy says, narrowing her eyes.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" Camilla says angrily, drawing the attention from everyone in the cafeteria. "You think that just because boys want to suddenly date you that you're popular now?" Camilla throws her hand at Molly's drink and tips it over, covering Molly's shirt with juice. "You're the same person you've always been; a damaged, suicidal freak!"

"Miss Terrence!"

"Shit," Camilla mutters.

Molly pats some napkins against her shirt while the Principal stands behind her with his arms folded. Camilla is too afraid to turn around, she tries to make amends by grabbing some napkins and patting Molly's shirt too but Molly slides her chair back.

"I didn't mean to; it was an accident."

"Get to my office," the Principal orders, he raises his voice so loud that Camilla jumps. "Now!"

"I'm sorry," Camilla says, before turning and jogging towards the doorway.

Molly throws the wet napkins onto the table and takes deep breaths. Everyone is staring at her and she can't take it. She grabs her bag and makes a run for the exit, crossing the grounds until she reaches the fountain. This is the place she used to sit at lunch, she didn't think she'd be back here so soon. She smiles when she sees Louise and the others approaching her.

"I just needed some air," Molly says.

"Camilla's a bitch," Louise says as she takes a seat on the bench. "But at least you won't have to worry about her anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"The Principal kind of made it a new law that anyone caught being mean or taunting another student will be expelled immediately."

"But given who Camilla's parents are it will most likely just be a suspension," Sammy sighs. "They've been donating money to the school for years."

Molly hears her phone vibrate and she stares at the message on the screen. You okay? Camilla's just jealous. I'm impressed you stayed so calm.

Who is this? Molly writes back.

"I heard her whole family are nutjobs," Henry says. "Probably best not to anger them."

It's Jack. We met a few minutes ago? I've heard of people having short memories but come on!

Molly smiles. Oh yes, I remember now. I'm okay, thanks for asking. Drying off my shirt in the sunshine.

"So, about this party," Louise says. "Do we all go together or do we meet there...?"

"I'm getting ready at a friend's," Molly says. "But I'll meet you guys there."

"That's probably a good idea seeing as you're the only reason we can get inside," Sammy says. She plays with the strands of her brown hair as she daydreams. "There's gonna be so many boys there. I need to look hot. How do I look hot?"

Well, I've got a spare shirt in my bag if you want to borrow it? Might be a tad big on you but you'd look good in anything.

Molly stares down at the giant juice stain on her white shirt and she bites on her lip. Meet me outside the first-floor bathroom in ten.

"I don't know, google it," Henry says. "Where's Moe at? I haven't seen him since this morning. Ah shit, it's Roy."

Henry turns his whole body in panic but it's too late, Roy has already spotted him and he walks over with two of his friends trailing behind.

"Hey, ladies," Roy says, his eyes landing on Molly with a smile. He puts his arm above Henry's head and then ruffles his hair. "Hey, Henry. Been looking all over for you. You got that assignment for me?"

"Yeah," Henry sighs.

Roy stares at Molly as Henry roots through his bag. He taps his fingers against the fountain in a rhythm. "Nice weather today huh?"

Molly nods, glancing at Louise. Roy is very intimidating, not just to boys like Henry but to girls too. His glare is creepy and it's making Molly uncomfortable.

"Thanks," Roy says. "Bye, girls."

"I hate that guy," Henry hisses.

"I can't believe he makes you write his assignments for him," Molly says. "You should say no."

"Say no?" Henry laughs hysterically. "To Roy Tanner? I'd get crushed. Literally. We can't all be gym addicts like Charlie Park."

"Charlie's the only person that Roy leaves alone," Louise says. "Everyone else pretty much does whatever he says."

"He owns the school," Sammy says. "And apparently his girlfriend just got out of prison for putting someone in a coma."

"They sound like a lovely couple." Molly smiles sarcastically as she stands up from the fountain. "I'm going to change my shirt, see you in class?"

"Yeah," Louise says. "See you in class."

Molly holds her phone tightly as she wanders through the school. Jack's already there and waiting for her and she's only got a few minutes until the end of lunch. He stands outside the girl's bathroom with a large, navy blue shirt hanging over his arm.

"Thank you so much," she says. "I owe you."

"No problem. Should I-"

She enters the bathroom and closes the door. She swaps the shirts in the stall and pulls down at the thick fabric covering her body. She could wear this shirt as a dress. It's really comfortable and warm and it smells of vanilla soap. Molly leaves the bathroom and finds Jack grinning at her.

"What?" she says. "I think it fits well."

"It looks better on you than me," Jack says. "You can give it me back tomorrow unless someone else happens to spill a drink on you."

"I'm hoping that's the last time," Molly laughs.

They walk together towards the lockers and Molly is surprised by how normal it feels. Every time she tastes that normality she reminds herself that she's still got a long road ahead. Jack doesn't know about her past or her illness or her insecurities and she wouldn't blame him for being freaked out by it.

"You haven't been around much the past couple of weeks," he says. "You been on vacation or something?"

"I was in hospital," Molly says. "I had an accident. But I'm better now."

"What happened?"

"Uh. . ." She scratches her head as she opens her locker. "I fell. . . from a roof. I hit my head pretty hard." She closes her eyes as she rages at herself for lying. She shouldn't have to lie; she shouldn't have to be ashamed. But how does she even begin to tell the truth?

"Well they fixed you up good," Jack says. "No scar or anything."

"No," she whispers, turning her face away. "Just a few emotional ones."

"How long you lived in Sacramento? You're new here right?"

Molly clenches her jaw as they walk down the hallway. He's asking all the questions she doesn't want him to ask. "Yeah, I moved here from Georgia during summer."

"Georgia? That's far. You're in the foster system aren't you? Well that's what the others say."

Molly nods. "Mhm."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to pry. I just find it interesting. There's not many girls around here with stories like yours."

"What do you know about my story?" Molly says.

"That you lost your family when you were really young. That must have been awful, I'm really sorry."

"Thanks," she mutters, unsure if that's the right response. "What about you?"

"I moved here from San Diego about six years ago. My parents got divorced and me and my brother were basically given a choice on who we wanted to live with. He chose my mum and I chose my dad. We haven't seen each other since. But we talk a lot."

"You haven't seen your mum or brother in six years?" Molly says, completely stunned. "That's one hell of a divorce settlement."

Jack laughs lightly. "I'm sure I'll see them again someday."

They enter the art building as the bell rings and Molly opens the door enthusiastically as she stares around at all the blank canvases held up on boards. This is her favourite class and she's missed it terribly.

"Don't tell me you like art," Jack groans.

"I prefer sketching but painting is a close second." Molly sits on a chair and picks up each paintbrush, observing them closely. "There's power in a canvas, it's a story that doesn't need words."

"I'll take your word for it."

Molly grins. The rest of the class trails in over the next few minutes along with Louise who flicks her eyes between Molly and Jack and winks. She sits on the other side of Molly and mutters "Nice shirt," before turning away.

The teacher, Miss Lindy, enters last and tells the class to pick an object to paint from the basket. When Molly approaches the front Miss Lindy widens her eyes and smiles happily.

"I'm so glad you're back, Molly," she says. "Now I actually have some competition in this class."

"Thanks," Molly says, she picks up an old coin and sighs. "Any chance I could use something of my own?"

"Of course," she says. "The objects are just a guide. Paint whatever you like."

"Great, thank you."

Molly turns and excitedly heads back to her seat. Jack has chosen a cereal box and he's more interested in reading its contents than painting it. Louise is trying to find the right colours to mix together to replicate a child's jewellery box.

"What are you painting?" Louise asks her.

Molly points her eyes forward towards Miss Lindy who is sitting at her desk with her feet up eating a biscuit. "Her."

"That's brave." Louise widens her eyes.

Molly uses Miss Lindy as her guide and she runs her eyes across her features. From her pale skin to her toned hair that is half golden brown and half blonde. She mixes the colours first and then glides her hand across the paper. It is the sweetest movement she's ever made. She paints the desk first to set the foundation along with each object that's upon it. From the basket to the pots of brushes to the tin of biscuits that Miss Lindy keeps beside her hand. She concentrates so hard that she doesn't notice that Louise has stopped painting and is staring intently at Molly's work.

"Holy shit," Louise says. "How did you learn to do that?"

"My mother," Molly whispers sadly. "She was a painter."

"That's incredible. You ever thought of doing portraits for money? You could earn a lot from that."

Molly shakes her head. "True art isn't for sale."

Jack is now curious and he leans backwards in his seat, Molly smiles as she feels his eyes on her. Miss Lindy is still oblivious, just chomping away on her snacks and Molly really hopes she likes it. She paints her as realistically as she can but as usual Molly finds fault with it. She uses her fingers to blend the last of the paint which covers Miss Lindy's hair.

"Time's up!" Miss Lindy shouts, rising from her chair. "I hope you've got something good to show me."

She walks around the class slowly, observing each painting closely. One boy looks like he's about to cry when she picks up his object and sarcastically glances between them.

"I'm not even going to entertain that with a second look," she says, pointing to a painting as she passes it.

She makes her way to the back and pauses behind Louise.

"Good," she says. "The colour is a little brighter but close enough."

Molly holds her breath as she makes her way over. She sinks into the seat and bites on her nail. Miss Lindy doesn't say a word as she bends her body to move her head closer to the painting, her face grazes past Molly's face as she studies every inch of it.

"Extraordinary," she whispers. "Even the biscuit tin."

"It felt like the most important part of the story," Molly says.

"You have an exceptional talent, Molly. Can I keep this?"

Molly nods. "Of course."

"Brilliant. Well done." She turns sharply and marches towards Jack. "What in the name of all human artistry is that?"

"A. . . cereal box," Jack says.

"Well you got the box part right."

The entire class laughs, along with Molly, and Jack turns to her with a shrug. He gives in and laughs too, throwing his paintbrush down in defeat.

"Obviously hardly any of you were paying attention during the mixing demonstration last week," Miss Lindy says. "Red and yellow make what?" She stares around the class and then sighs, face planting her forehead. "Molly?"

"Orange," Molly says.

"Correct. Not brown, which is why I'm looking at a lot of orange canvases that are the incorrect colour combination! What makes brown? Anyone?" She sighs again and falls backwards into her desk. "Molly."

"Red, yellow and blue," Molly mumbles.

"I want you all to remember that for next week," Miss Lindy says. "Because you're going to be painting the exact same object again."

The bell rings and everyone gasps out in relief. Miss Lindy dismisses the class with an exhausted tone before she drops back into her seat. Molly's next class is health and she begins to feel nervous because she knows Charlie will be there. Jack tells her that he'll text her later before they depart in the hallway and Louise abandons her to go and study in the library. Molly enters the class alone and she tries not to look at him as she finds her seat. He doesn't even look at her, just like yesterday. She picks a window seat and she stares out of it for most of the class as the teacher discusses the topic of depression.

"You need to know that your words can do more damage than you realize," the teacher says. "And I'm sure that at some point or another you have all said something to hurt someone else. So, by order of the principal, you are all required to write a letter apologizing to someone that you've hurt and you are to include why it's important to be kind to each other. You got that?"

Molly stares at the lined paper in front of her and she picks up the pen. There's only one person that she thinks she's hurt, only one person that she wants to put things right with. But he hurt her too. Somehow, they managed to damage each other beyond what either of them could realize. She swallows her pride and she writes the apology anyway then tucks it away in her bag where no one will ever discover the emotions she keeps hidden.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 1.6K 103
WARNING: My story contains mature and sensitive content. Please read at your own risk. *** Previously "Saving The Girl Who Thought She Was Broken" **...
11.1K 1.3K 43
"𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸..." 𝗜 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲. 𝗜 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗸𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 �...
9.9K 762 73
*MATURE BECAUSE*: It contains serious, sensitive and triggering topics like self-harm, unhealed trauma, assault, murders, etc. Reader discretion is a...
189 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...