𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xciv. outside looking in

252 9 1
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬𝑻𝒀 𝑭𝑶𝑼𝑹
❝ 𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA FORGOT THE CHAOS AND panic that comes in a package deal with war and battle, along with — of course — the bloodshed, the death, and the massacres. Her mind threatens to shift into a frenzied and distressed state with everything happening around her, but she manages to hold back efficiently and execute her duty of delivering the women and children to their shielded defense found by her. The mermaid is quite pleased with her job as she had accomplished a major number of women and children, and in doing so alone.

The last she heard from her friends in Gondor, Athelea had informed her that she would be participating in the battle after escorting as many innocent citizens as possible, promising to send any other vulnerable women and children to the dome on her way to the armory and during the battle. The red-haired Gondorion woman had also curiously updated Vera about the circumstances of Faramir, who is unconscious and was taken to his father for care.

Due to personal complications between Faramir's father and Athelea, she would not be able to be there with him. Vera didn't ask. 

Additionally, Gandalf is somewhere near the front lines, shouting out orders from atop his beautiful white horse, and Pippin is apparently supposed to be with Denethor. She hopes that the stubborn hobbit remains where he is and doesn't get himself into any trouble, though it is a doubtful thought. 

Her distractive thoughts are eliminated immediately as she catches sight of a cowering child wailing in the corner alone, no sign of his mother nearby, and broken-down rubble of their previously glorious city surrounding him. Vera darts towards them unhesitantly, bowing down to avoid the incoming stones landing in the city by the other side. 

"Hey, you are alright," assures Vera upon reaching the young boy, who hugs Vera instantly when he notices her. "Where is your mother?"

The child doesn't answer but howls in more pain, giving Vera the insinuation that he is lost. Quite distressed, she glances around in an attempt to find the mother of this little one and regretfully lands on the dead body of a mangled woman below a large piece of rock. Vera frowns and swallows her tears before turning back to the young orphan. 

"I need you to be brave for me, little one, can you do that?" Vera asks and he manages to nod a reply out through his tears, "there is a dome nearby with guards surrounding it. You will find safety there. I need you to go there, now, and don't stop, do you understand me?"

"I want my mama!" he finally cries out, muffling his voice in Vera's skirts, her words going right out of his head. The brunette sighs, leaning down so she could pick him up with ease. Soon, Vera is running through the corridors of the White City, avoiding any bits of stone and rocks flying around them while attempting to deflect the incoming damage. The dome appears in front of them in no time, and the little boy is being delivered to the safety spot with the protection of the guards around them.

However, in their momentary distraction, they did not see the large rock from the opposite side of the battle soaring towards them. By the time Vera turns around, it is a mere distance between them, and she raises her hands to protect herself gullibly, awaiting the impact that would materialize once it hit her. But nothing seemed to happen. Vera opens her eyes cautiously to find a water bubble enveloping the rock that is mere meters from her face and carefully moves her hand to throw it back to the opposing end. 

In wonder, the soldiers and neighboring citizens watch in awe at the motion, and Vera inspects her hands in mild amazement but blazing determination. She may not be able to fight in this battle, but for Eru's sake, she could do something to help! Although the people of Gondor find a new hope in the great Maiar powers of the young mermaid Queen in their midst sending stones and pieces of rubble to eliminate the numbers on the opposing side, they face yet another problem as Mordor delivers their Ringwraiths on Fell beasts.

The first time Vera encounters them, she is trying to shoot substantial debris towards the front lines and the edges of the organized army but accidentally weakens in her capability at the loud noise emitting towards her sensitive ears. Dropping her arms to cover her ears from the ringing sound racking her brain painfully, the enormous piece of remains collapses mid-soar in the center of the field, abolishing no one. The other side takes advantage of the temporary halt in attack by firing their own stone and rubble. 

Vera is weakened by the sound, wondering what in hell was in their voices that made her so vulnerable in a matter of seconds; it shouldn't be affecting her the way it is now. She wonders if Neptune is experiencing the same thing. Groaning tiresomely, Vera falls to her knees, breathing heavily as she gathers her strength. 

Shock and suspicion cover her in waves but she has no time to linger on her inner thoughts for the mermaid is occupied with another: two children pleading with their mother to leave, but the woman merely cries out and sobs in the direction of the army. Vera's eyes widen as she spots an incoming boulder approaching the unsuspecting trio, and she uses what little energy she has to defend them from the attack. Relief fills her system at the sight of her familiar water bubble protecting them, but her attention snaps once she hears a faint cry of another child in the distance. 

And she knows she cannot shield this one from the rubble collapsing around him.

Ensuring the trio is safe and away from danger, Vera darts towards the young one, eyeing the unstable piece of stone on top of him. Her eyes widened in the quick second it takes for the stone to fall and watches desperately, awaiting the dead body that would follow, knowing she cannot do anything. However, a blink later, and the stone has dropped but there is no body underneath it; she searches in confusion for the boy, only to find a familiar form hugging him. 

"Amaron!" Vera cries in relief, flashing towards them to help the little boy to run towards the patient soldier who will deliver him to the safety dome just around the corner. Then, she faces her new friend and helps him up to his feet, concern washing over her features. "Are you okay? You stupid man! You could have gotten hurt!"

"I would die rather than allow that child to die, Queen Vera," replies Amaron light-heartedly, an exhaustive chuckle escaping his lips. She smiles fondly before gripping onto him firmly to sit him down on a piece of stone. Her concern rises tenfold at the pained hiss he elicits upon soft contact, and she immediately prods at his skin to find the source of injury.

Vera frowns deeply when her eyes land on the deep wound on his chest, near to his heart, and in incredible cruel condition. The shape of the wound would result in bleeding and could potentially kill Amaron if he does not succeed in medical assistance. "Amaron...you need to go to the dome, there is medical healers there who could help you—"

"No," he abruptly interrupts sternly, turning down the order from the stern Queen with firmness, "I will gladly die for my country and the freedom of my home and I will not hide in the shadows when I know what I can do and what is right. This is my home. Nothing will stop me from protecting it."

Vera swallows, noticing the way he eyes her with judgment. She knows he knows about her resistance in fighting in the battle but he doesn't know the real reason behind her restrictions, and she cradles her stomach in response instinctively. He follows her movement and before she could rip it away to avoid suspicion, but his eyes widen in realization. "I...apologize, Queen Vera. I did not know what I was suggesting...please, find forgiveness in your heart for me."

Vera sighs. "'Tis alright, Amaron. Rest now. I understand what you are saying, and there truly is nothing to forgive for your accusations are justified. But...I feel I could have done something. You are hurt...if I could have just..." she trails off regrettably, ripping a piece of garment to wrap and apply pressure to the laceration. 

"Do not be hard on yourself, Lady Vera. You are with child, and the protection of that baby is important. And do not worry about me for I am fine," he tries to assure, a light smile on his face. But he groans when Vera pushes deeply on his injury with no hesitance, earning a smirk from Vera. "Though...may I ask? If you are not to fight, why are you here? Surely, there is a reason."

"I...I don't know," Vera mutters, concentrating hard on stabilizing him for a short time. Thankfully, nothing seems to be coming for them as of yet, so they are safe. "Gandalf needs me here and I cannot turn my back on the world when they need me most...this is all I can do."

"Is this, really?" Amaron counters after a brief moment of silence and Vera connects eyes with him. She thins her lips and suddenly, she is pondering the innocent question while attempting to heal her new friend. Her eyebrows furrowed in deep thought and her mind wanders somewhere else, while Amaron watches her and their environment efficiently for any signs of danger. 

In her absent-minded state, Vera doesn't notice the advancing army of soaring rubble until it is too late...but Amaron does. 

Before she could even raise her head up to detect the flying stone debris, she is being pushed aside away from danger at the cost of another life.

Once the ringing in her head ceases and is reduced to nothing but mumblings and faint alarms, Vera props herself on her elbows to address the situation. Everything had happened so quickly that she didn't notice what has happened but when Vera managed to wrap her head around the crisis, she is pushing herself to her feet and scurrying towards the body underneath the attack that should have killed her if not for her dear friend saving her life. 

Tears escape her eyes before she even knows they are falling but doesn't bother wiping them away. Her attempts of pushing the solid rubble off of her coughing companion are useless and in vain so she settles for reassuring the pained man.

"Amaron...Amaron...please, respond. Say something. I—I need you to answer...please! Please, say something," sobs Vera in distress as she inspects the young warrior. "You are going to be fine. You are going to be okay. I will get you help, I will find a way, please...just keep breathing! Amaron...are you there?"

To her relief, Amaron groans in response and opens his eyes, causing her to slump down in assurance and glee. He forces a fatigued smile. "No, Lady Vera. My time has come. I see the light welcoming me, and it is my time to return to my family. They are calling for me...and it is beautiful," he rasps out in pain and pitiful laughs, "I have done what I could, but I cannot die in peace knowing that my country is going to hell. Promise me, Lady Vera, you will do everything you can to save my home. Pr—Promise me. Please."

Flashbacks of when a familiar and dear friend of her passed away a few months ago flash to her mind and she cries harder, her breath coming out hard and heavy as Amaron coughs blood out and begins to bleed in his nose and ears. His eyes redden and Vera sobs harder. And she knows she shouldn't have done it, but her lips pressed against his forehead as she whispers her last words to him. 

"I promise."

═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══

True to her word, Vera soon abandons the body underneath the pile of rubble, knowing that is it not her friend anymore and is nothing but a vessel. She maneuvers her way through the collapsed walls and lone dead bodies, ignoring the way her heart plummets at every single one she eyes. The tears below her eyes disappear in a matter of seconds as she navigates towards the dome. Upon her appearance, the guard informs her that they have locked the dome down with assurance that every single woman and child has been confined in the protection, she had nodded and departed.

But not before eliciting a strong and effective bubble of water and ice around the dome, guaranteeing an adamant shield for the guards and the women and children inside, including the civilians and those in need of medical attention.

And before she realizes it, Vera is being whisked to battle, her promise ringing in her mind and the self-assurance she could do this...she will keep her and her baby safe, but will do everything she truly can to protect and save this city. 

Of course, with her new determination, Vera escorts herself to swiftly garment herself with a little more armor than she originally starts with, brandishing her waistband with a sheathed knife, a bow and arrow, and a long sword to add to her previous collection. Once she is ready and armed, Vera departs from the concealed armory, and darts headfirst into the battle in the White City. 

Upon her entrance, though, Vera come face-to-face — or face-to-back — with Pippin...or his back. He seems to be in a deep trance as he runs through the narrow corridors and the chaotic halls for he doesn't answer back or acknowledge Vera's calls for him. Confused and concerned, the mermaid believes she has no choice but to follow him in order to maintain his safety; the thought of turning her back on him didn't sit well for her. So she pursues after her Hobbit friend but struggles to catch up to him and keep her eye on the Hobbit.

In the maze-like structure and the lack of organization or concrete foundation to the debilitated White City, Vera regrettably realizes that she has lost her friend...but that seems to be secondary to her problem, as when she turns the corner, Vera is nearly decapitated by an axe blade. 

Ducking immediately, Vera shrieks in surprise before grunting angrily and swinging her opened sword to swipe off the legs of the Orc who threatened to kill her. She lifts her body and kills the next Orc with one blow before decapitating the third creature attempting to attack her. The adrenaline rushes through her veins and her heartbeat rises increasingly, pushing her to analyze her surroundings for a second before thrusting back into battle, slicing and dicing the nearest Orcs coming for her.

She had previously been able to hear faint shouts and orders being screamed from the front line and the blasts of debris exploding after impact and the occasional cries and prayers from both civilians and soldiers and her heart beating furiously. Now, Vera experiences an amplified version of that which rings in her ears deafeningly and it takes a moment for her to adjust to it while fighting. The stench of death wafts to her nose and the sweat of the warriors around her made her want to cringe. 

But she takes no notice and fights like it is her second nature. 

Because to someone like Vera, it is easy as breathing. The defensive and protective stance she maintain during battle, the quick and predicted blows delivered to her opponents, and the efficient kills she makes with every movement of her arms and weapons. Her armor and skills provide for great shields, and her power only adds to her security. 

Vera doesn't know how long she had been fighting but the adrenaline in her system prohibits her from stopping, even when her muscles are aching and groaning and begging for her to rest for a moment, even when she has reached her utmost limit. Kill after kill follows after one another consecutively, her grunts and blows becoming stronger and more impactive with every go she manages to send to her opponents. She saves hundreds and she fights more than that, and even when she is covered head to toe with black blood of darkness, Vera still endures. 

Turning around presently, Vera assists an injured warrior to take cover with the help of another before easily slipping back into battle. Raising her sword, she abolishes the remaining Uruk-hai in her presence and in the aftermath of her massacre, swinging the sharp blade down to simultaneously decapitate two Orcs in one go before kicking an incoming Orc to buy her more time so she can plunge her sword into the chest of an Uruk, killing him instantly. The Orc she had kicked off of her returns just in time for Vera to attack him. However, her attention is brought back from the thrilling fight to watch as another set of their army advances. 

Vera abandons her sword to unleash her bow, notching an arrow swiftly with others by her side to prevent another wave to enter through. She aims directly at the largest troll carrying the wheeled ride and attempts to bring him down but is rendered useless when the back of her head is hit harshly by the end of a sword. Vera dizzies for a moment and nearly topples off the edge of the wall if not for her quick mind capable of balancing her. 

It takes only a second for her to grasp the incident but before she could react, her air is being cut off by a suffocating grip on her throat. Vera struggles to breathe for a long time and claws desperately at the hands wrapped around her neck from behind her, noticing that the others are unable to aid her. She realizes that a wave of Uruk-hai has advanced from behind them, providing a perfect opportunity to deliver more Orcs front and back. 

Finding her senses, Vera harshly knocks her head back to free herself of the restriction on her necks, and gasps loudly to inhale as much air as possible. Collecting herself and her breath, Vera whirls around and pounces unhesitantly at the staggering Orc behind her, her intention to bring him down with one go being interrupted by another Uruk-hai intervening. Thankfully, this one was easy to demolish but her focuses were returned to her natural enemy. She takes him in; this one will be hard to kill. 

Vera fires the first move, trying to jab her knife in his chest but his thick armor prevents it from happening. Surprised, the Orc takes advantage of her momentary pause and proceeds to jam his elbow into her face. Vera comes back quickly and knees this Orc in his groin, pushing her knife deeply into his abdomen to draw blood. They blow at one another physically without the use of weapons, punching and kicking and throwing and choking before the Uruk grew tired and plunged a knife on her arm.

Vera hisses in pain, glaring at the Orc darkly. "All this...and for what? One speck of blood?"

Those are the wrong words for her to use, for the Uruk-hai lunges at her, taking her down in one go with his larger body structure. Vera lands on the ground, her back hitting the concrete with pain, and she groans. Avoiding the knife trying to hit her face, Vera moves her head just a bit before rolling off the ground to crouch in a stealthy position. Soon, Vera is holding his own sword in her hands and cartwheels off the ground to soar above her enemy, slicing his head off as she went, her anger fueling her movements. 

"That is...disgusting," she mutters before divulging in the battle once again. 

Vera lets time pass her by in the ongoing battle, not paying attention to anything else except for the main battles happening in front of her. Nightfall descends on Gondor before they know it and Vera's attention is suddenly brought to the ground below. Tired and ready to drop, Vera reluctantly peers down at the entrance of Gondor, which she had previously walked through just moments before, and widens her eyes as the fire structure breaks down the large door after a long and extensive series of attempts. And Vera watches in horror as they flood through the gates joyously and ready to kill.

A fireball effectively docks next to Vera, shocking her out of her stupor as she registers that she was so close to being burned alive. The brunette unleashes water to extinguish the flames before embellishing in a new task of restraining more fireballs to enter Gondor from her side of the wide city, removing the flames easily with water as she went. Blue swirls envelop her warmly as she moves, remaining in place to support the safety of the city as best she can while the others below her flood the gates. 

The mermaid can hear Gandalf screaming orders and encouragements below her to the army but is rather concerned when it suddenly stops. Making a snap decision, Vera reluctantly leaves her post to scour the levels underneath her, fighting her way through the incoming Uruk-hai to attempt to find Gandalf. Yes, she knows she is not exactly permitted to fight but since when did Vera ever count someone's orders? 

She is maintaining her protection and safety, there is nothing to worry about anymore, and if she has managed to survive long hours of battle unscathed and alive, then he could not send her back to the women and children, too. Besides, he needed as many numbers as he could get in order to sustain Gondor until the Rohirrim come. 

At the thought, Vera's heart drops in worry. They have not arrived yet and she does not know when they are coming, but they are running out of time. Rohan needs to come to their aid for these men who are dying in their plight to defend their city and home. Gondor did not come to Rohan's aid but that did not mean Rohan shouldn't have to, either. So she pleads to Iluvatar that they will come soon because she doesn't know how much fight she has in her left. 

Before Vera could even reach the position she believes Gandalf to be in, his white horse emerges from the foggy darkness of flame and appears in Vera with its feet first. She gasps and stumbles back, eyeing the hooves threatening to stomp on her if not for Gandalf regaining control of his stallion to inspect the culprit behind his distress. Immediately upon sight of his dear brunette friend, Gandalf's anger and disbelief are evident while Pippin stares in shock and astonishment but relieved to see her nonetheless. 

"Vera Roman! What are you doing here?! You are not supposed to be in battle, Vera! We had an agreement!" Gandalf sternly reminds Vera in restrained anger, shouting almost through the screams of civilians and approaching Orcs passing them by. 

"Yes, I know!" answers Vera, pausing to kill an Uruk before turning her attention to Gandalf with a glare, "but you need the numbers, that much is obvious! I will not stand by while Gondor is going to hell. I will fight, with your permission or not! You can either help me or leave."

Gandalf seems to be in inner turmoil, the conflict in his thoughts ringing clear as he contemplates what to do. Pippin urges him to hurry for their time is running out and they seem to be on an important mission. Her curiosity is piqued and noticed in her hazel eyes, and Gandalf suddenly remembers their intentions. An idea pops into his mind, and with a quick apology to whoever is listening, Gandalf nods. 

"Very well then. Behind Pippin, now. We do not have much time," Gandalf curtly says, barely allowing the woman to hop onto his horse's back before they are flying through Minas Tirith quicker than lightning to reach wherever it is they are supposed to be.

"Gandalf! Where are you going?! The men need our help!"

"Faramir needs it more!" Gandalf answers back, causing Vera to protectively snap her attention to him and Pippin, in search of an explanation.

Pippin proceeds to reluctantly explain, "Denethor has gone mad! He is going to burn Faramir alive!"

"What?!" she exclaims before glaring at the back of Gandalf's head furiously. "Make haste, Gandalf, or I swear to Eru there will be more death here than ever!"

And with that order, Gandalf complied and urged his stallion forward, an angered Queen on his back. 

Vera doesn't know how but the sight of Gondor and the army approaching them with more weapons for death and battlements brought a sick feeling to her stomach. They had been riding through Gondor in their crucial efforts of reaching Denethor before he burned his son alive and it only now does Vera finally see the horrors and the effects Mordor had on Gondor in the long hours they fought in. 

Fires and flames embrace Minas Tirith ragingly, showing no mercy to the people within the deteriorating and broken-down city, where their once-great stone structures plummet to the ground in rubbles and leftover debris, and the only evidence of it ever existing is the remains of it. Vera frowns at the flood of black swarming the lower levels, amd from her view, she guesses that they are not a friend but more foe. Fell beasts swoop the air and soar above them, breaking any machinery of defense in their journey. Vera grimaces at the cries of distress echoing through the White City and sees the people of Gondor beginning to retreat. 

Vera even catches sight of the guards protecting the dome fighting valiantly to give the women and children a chance to live properly, the ice around them in shattered pieces and the water bubble wavering in strength. Darkness encircles it with magic that does not come from a mere Uruk.

In her absentminded distraction, Vera does not see an Uruk darting for her and lands on the ground with a loud cry as the impact sent her flying off the horse. Gandalf and Pippin stop the horse to harm the Uruk who attacked their mermaid friend and halted anxiously to check on her. Coughing, Vera waves them off. 

"Go! I will hold them off! I'll be right behind you, I promise!" Vera assures but once Gandalf doesn't leave, she furrows her brow. "Gandalf?"

"Lady Vera, the ring you bear as a gift from your friend Boromir is of significance to Gondor and Denethor especially...your presence could be of use to Faramir!" he elaborates. 

Vera frowns, looking at the ring. She contemplates her options and glances down at the narrow hallway which is soon barricading with retreating warriors and advancing Uruk-hai. Vera attempts to push herself off the ground but finds herself unable to, and senses a bleeding somewhere on her body. To not alert Gandalf, Vera pretends nothing is wrong and catches the sight of red hair somewhere in the chaos. She turns to her friends.

"Gandalf, Pippin, go! I will follow!" she shouts once more, cringing at the pain erupting in her shoulder as she forces herself upwards. She staggers forward to grip her sword, screaming at Gandalf one more time before fighting once more. "Go!"

They oblige with her order reluctantly, but there is no choice; they do not have time. Vera defends herself swiftly at the two Uruk-hai coming for her before notching an arrow at the Fell Beast flying in Gandalf and Pippin's direction. Her eyes narrow to a clearer point of view so she can see better, and she aims directly for the Ring-Wraith, hoping it would stall him.

But it did more than that. 

The Ring-Wraith screeches in deafening pain that made Vera drop to her knees. From what she could see, the Nazgul is struggling to hold onto his ride; it is almost as if her arrow had genuinely done some damage...but that cannot be, right? However, the Nazgul directs his beast away from the direction of her friends but that doesn't stop another from pursuing after them. Vera attempts to knock back an arrow but is hit in the face harshly by an unsuspecting Uruk. 

Vera cries in alarm as she rolls to the ground, landing on her wounded shoulder again and a dizzy headache slips into her mind. She is weak and distracted and she does not see the advancing Uruk attempting to finish her off. Vera doesn't know what to do and instead chooses to stagger backward to search for her sword, which had flown off upon impact. The brunette lurches for her sword, but it is too late, because the Uruk swings his blade down, just in time for Vera to prohibit the attack with her sword restraining his.

She cannot find her strength any longer, though, as the tension increases and she knows she will have to give up at one point...whether she likes it or not. 

But a saving grace appears out of nowhere, and Vera is relieved to find Athelea hovering above her, having finished the opponent easily. 

"Vera!" 

The woman sighs in relief. "Athelea, you need to go!" Vera orders, pulling the ring off her finger reluctantly to hand to the confused woman, "Faramir is in danger! Gandalf needs your help! Denethor is burning him alive! Go, now, I will hold them off!"

Athelea didn't need to be told twice, and though she was reluctant to leave the Mermaid Queen who is vulnerable to attack, the red-head pursued anyway. Vera praises a thanks before pushing herself off to intervene in an attack, saving an innocent warrior and getting back into the game.

But truly, how hard can they try? How long could they endure?

Vera feels her strength waning and her adrenaline leaving her body swiftly and without her control, as she fights valiantly, men dying left and right beside her. She is beginning to give up, and her momentary relapse causes an open opportunity for yet another attack. 

She indulges in a battle between her and two Uruk-hai, knowing that she is losing in this battle but her persistence in keeping herself safe endures longer than that. Suddenly, when all hope is lost and Vera slacks her arm, the brunette hears her saving grace; a familiar horn resonating in the air to signify the arrival of an ally. Vera pushes forward forcefully and finishes her two little friends off quickly, aiding the other men in doing the same before ordering them to retreat to the lower levels to aid Rohan.

They oblige, and Vera happily bounds to the wall edges to inspect the approaching help they finally get. Vera is elated to see her family and her kingdom lined up in an organized fashion, endless numbers of Rohan's army standing together under their King's command alongside the strengthening golden armor of her people prepared to fight beside them. Vera feels her heart swell in pride and glee as Corin and Thèoden make their speeches to their people, ready for battle and war. 

Vera spots her friends and family, familiar guards and soldiers in the lines of their army to prepare for the war, determination and bravery in their hearts. 

She smiles in relief, and just when Vera feels hope once again, and the army surges forward, she suddenly feels herself being lifted off from the ground and in the claws of a deafening Fell Beast, the weakened Ring-Wraith ready to kill her for harming him. 

And the people of both Rohan and Atlantis watch as their Queen and friend is soaring through the air in the dangers of darkness, her scream resonating through the field. 

Corin and Neptune, who have been fighting with Athelea and the others, watch in horror and helpless desperation as their sister and friend is plunged into the river below, her form hanging on like a rag doll.

"Vera!" is what she heard from someone but the darkness envelops her quickly, rendering her unconscious. 

- author's note

IM SO SO SO SORRY THAT I DIPPED AND DIED AND I HAVENT UPDATED IN SO LONG PLSHDSHSDS ive had a past few complicated months so pls :( i hope u guys like this chapter i love u guys stay safe<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 368 24
*Updated all chapters and changed the storyline a bit on 26-02-24 so if you're confused I do recommend rereading the previous chapters* Amdiriel was...
218K 9.9K 41
***BOOK II of the To Live Again Saga*** Clara has overcome much to finally find her happily ever after...but when is anything happily ever after in M...
224K 7.3K 28
*COMPLETE* HarryPotterxLOTR crossover FemHarryxGlorfindel ^ Because there are not nearly enough of those. ⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆ Azalea Po...
149K 5K 91
Miranda has grown up on earth with her parents in their cabin home in the woods. Her mother works surrounded by nature and her father is a businessma...