All I Want for Christmas is a...

By thadelightfulone

This is my story for my friend's 3rd Annual 25 Days of Christmas Challenge. Here is the completed story. ENJO... More

November 15-19th, Part 1
November 15-19th, Part 2
November 20th
November 21st - Part 1
November 21st - Part 2
November 21st - Part 3
November 21st - Part 4
Late Night - November 21st
November 22nd
November 24th
November 30th
December 4th
December 6th
December 14th
December 16th
December 18th - Part 2
December 18th - Part 3
December 19th - Part 1
December 19th - Part 2
December 22nd
December 25th - Part 1
December 25th - Part 2
December 26th
December 31st
Mama's Birthday

December 18th - Part 1

172 13 7
By thadelightfulone

DeeDee checked herself out in the mirror. She had on her favorite pantsuit and decided on a low slicked back chignon for her hair. She ran her hands down the suit jacket one last time and looked at her reflection.

"Today's the day, DeeDee. We have worked so hard to get here and we deserve everything that is coming to our way." She smiled and put her tortoise shell glasses on. "I'm proud of you and everything you will go on to accomplish starting today."

DeeDee heard her phone chime and buzz across her dresser. She walked over and picked it up. It was Phyllis in the group chat.

Phyll: Your presentation is at 4pm, right?

DeeDee: Yes

Phyll: The Engineering building?

DeeDee: Yup

Phyll: What room?

DeeDee: 1759

Phyll: We'll see you there.

DeeDee: Great, see you later.

Bev: We love you, DeeDee.

DeeDee: Love you, too.

DeeDee made her way out to the living room and grabbed her purse and laptop case from next to her desk. She locked up and headed to campus to get settled in for a long day.

---

Erik was cleaning up his desk. He came in early to send out the last of his work emails before he left for a week. He locked up his computer and stood up to leave when T'Challa walked in and stood near his desk.

"Hey Cuz."

"You leave today, right?"

"Yup, my flight leaves in 2 hours."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm excited to see Dr. Bell. She helped me work through a lot of shit while I was in school."

"That is expected, but you know what I mean."

T'Challa took a seat in front of Erik's desk. He pointed towards the chair across from him. Erik put his briefcase down and took a seat.

"How are you feeling?"

Erik is quiet for a moment, deep in thought. "Ready."

"And you are sure?"

"You and Quis, I swear." He rolled his eyes. "I get it. I messed up before. But at least, she showed her true self before I made a horrible decision."

"Erik, we ask because we care." T'Challa sat forward in the chair, "You were in such a rush to find the one and get married. You never took the time to really get to know her."

"I know, I know."

"You told her exactly what she needed to hear for her to act like the woman for you." He put emphasis on act. "And she tried to trap you. So, yes we want to make sure that you know what the hell you are doing this time around."

"I don't need to be reminded of that fuck up." He sighed, "Besides Quis said she is nothing like her. And I do know that for myself, too."

"Marquis knows her?"

"Yeah, she is one of his doctoral students. Actually, hold on a sec." He pulled out his phone. He went to a text thread, where his previous text was still unread.

Prince Erik: Good morning DeeDee. I hope you have a great day.

Prince Erik: Hey, you never did tell me how your presentation went. Let me know where we are celebrating.

Erik looked back at T'Challa, "Where was I? Right, DeeDee was one of his students."

"Ok, and what do you know about her?"

"I know that she is everything I am looking for. She's smart, funny and sweet. She calls me on my crap. Even if she is super nice about it."

T'Challa nodded his head, "And you are ready for her?

"Yes, I am. And I know I deserve someone like her." Erik smiled, "All the bullshit I went through in my last relationship, let me know I wasn't ready back then. You're right, I rushed and almost got in too deep with someone, who was all wrong for me."

T'Challa looked at Erik, then touched his ring, "Does she know?"

"Yeah, and doesn't even care." He smiled, "I'm telling you, T. She is it."

"For your sake, I really hope she is."

He stood up and Erik followed.

"I'll be fine." Erik looked at his watch, "I should get going. I'll see you when I get back."

"Until then, cousin." T'Challa hugged him, and then Erik grabbed his things. They left his office together.

---

DeeDee has watched three other defenses already. They were breaking for lunch before reconvening for the last two of the day. She made her way back to Dr. O's office. He was letting her use it for the day.

"Hey DeeDee, how you feeling?"

"Hi Dr. O. I'm ok." She took a seat on the couch. "I am not feeling as nervous now, but I am definitely ready for it to be over."

"I get it. I'm so sorry that you couldn't go earlier."

"Don't worry about it. I'm hoping they chose to give me the last spot because they liked my topic best."

"I like the way you think."

"Thanks, Dr. O." Her phone goes off, "Ooooh, let me go get my friends. I'll be back in a bit."

"Sure thing. I'll see you back in the main room."

DeeDee checked her phone and went outside to meet with Beverly and Phyllis. She hadn't seen or spoken to Phyllis, but she had chatted with Beverly since that disastrous night out.

They ran up to her and gave her hugs.

"I'm so sorry girl." Phyllis said as they all stepped back.

"I don't know what's going on. But don't take that out on me." DeeDee finally spoke.

"I know, I know. I just -"

"Men trouble." Bev nodded towards Phyllis.

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Your new friend, Erik."

"What about him?" DeeDee rolled her eyes, "You know what, we can discuss this later. It's time for the next presentation to start."

All three of them walked to the room and DeeDee led them to seats in the center on the left-hand side. She returned to her spot up front and sat down to wait for the next doctoral student to present.

---

Marquis' cell rang while he sat in his office.

"Hey E. What's up man?"

"I'm back."

"Wait! You're already here?"

"Yeah, I just made it to my hotel. Figured I would hit you up to see what you're doing tonight."

"Just a simple dinner with the fam. But you are more than welcome to join us." Marquis pulled his phone away and looked at the time, "What are you doing now?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"Come visit me on campus."

"Seriously?"

"You ain't doing nothing and I have to be here, so yeah. Just bring ya ass."

"Is your office in the Engineering building?"

"Yeah, I'm in 1590, at the end of the main hall."

"Alright, I'll see you in 30."

"Great, text me if I'm not in my office when you arrive."

---

DeeDee blinked and the presentation after their lunch break was over. She sighed and looked back at her friends. She didn't bother to invite any members of her family. They would see her on Christmas and besides she wanted to concentrate on her presentation. It would not happen if she saw them in the audience, clapping and cheering before she could even talk.

She went to them, "I gotta grab my things from Dr. O's office. I'll be back in a few."

"Yeah, ok. I need to use the bathroom." Phyllis said as she stood up. "Bev, you good here?"

"Actually, I'll go with you, DeeDee."

Walking out of the room, DeeDee reminded Phyllis where the first floor bathroom was and they all split once they got to the hallway.

---

Erik entered the building and stood at the top of the hallway. Not much had changed about the old building. He walked over to the directory and looked at the faculty names. He recognized a few of them and ran his hand over Dr. Bell's name. It showed her office was across the hall from Marquis'. Great.

He started walking down the long hall, when a voice called out to him.

"Excuse me?"

The feminine voice caught his attention. He slowed to a stop.

"Yes, you. Are you lost?" He could hear the click clack of heels, "Maybe I can help you."

He turned around to see a young woman in a suit approach him.

"Oh no, I'm fine. But thank you."

"You sure?"

Erik watched as she looked him up and down. He gathered himself, "I'm positive, I've been here before."

"Really? I'm here often and I would have remembered you." Her voice dropped an octave.

"I bet you would." He laughed, "Look, I really should be going. My friend is waiting for me in his office." He looked behind her, "And it looks like someone is looking for you."

She turned around and saw hands waving dramatically in the air.

"Phyllis, hurry up. It's gonna start soon."

"Alright, I'm coming." She turned back around to look at Erik, "I hope I get to see you again."

He nodded at her and made his way down the hall. "Not if I can help it," He mumbled.

Erik knocked on Marquis' office door. He pitched his voice. "Excuse me, Dr. O."

"Why are you knocking? Come on in."

He walked in and Marquis jumped up when he saw him.

"I thought. You know what -- nevermind." He gave Erik a hug, "How you doing man?"

"I'm good, I'm good."

"You look it. Still living at the gym when you aren't at work, I see."

"I mean, you know. I never again want to look like the stick that shared an award with you."

They both laughed.

"So, why are you still here on a Friday afternoon? You could be on your break already."

"I will be. Immediately after this last doctoral defense presentation."

Erik huffed and pulled out his phone. He hadn't heard anything from DeeDee yet today. He shook his head and put it away.

"So, those were today?"

"Yup. There is one more and then we can go get drinks before I take you to see the family."

"Yeah, sure that's fine."

Marquis locked up his office and they walked down the hall to the main room.

---

Erik sat in the back row out of the way, while Marquis walked to the front and gathered everyone's attention. As he looked out ahead of him, he saw the girl from earlier seated on the opposite side from him. She was talking to her friend and kept looking back at him.

"This cannot be good." He returned his focus to Marquis up front.

"Thank you all for being here all day today. We are ready to start our final defense presentation." Marquis nodded to a young woman on his left who walked over and took the clicker from him.

When she turned around to address everyone, Erik gasped. It was her. He was looking at DeeDee. She pressed the clicker for her starting slide and began to speak.

Erik took her in while she spoke. She definitely could not hide from him now. DeeDee was dressed in a burgundy and black houndstooth patterned pant suit with a burgundy blouse. It fit her very well, and he could make out her wide hips and the chest that prevented her from closing the blazer. He bit his lip to keep from making an inappropriate sound. Her dark curls were pulled back in a sleek low bun with loose tendrils hanging out. He hadn't seen those glasses before, but the cat eye shape looked really cute on her.

He tried to fully focus on what she was saying, but was glad that she asked him for advice a few weeks before. He would catch a word or two and know where she was. Erik continued his physical assessment of her while DeeDee's presentation continued.

DeeDee was much shorter than he thought, but he loved the idea of her looking up at him or having to get on her tiptoes to kiss him. He smiled as her nose scrunched up while she spoke about environmental waste and how her study addressed it. He saw her infamous full cheeked smile when she answered questions from the panel and audience.

When he was done getting his fill of her, he could hear the applause and she sat back down while the panel spoke amongst themselves.

He was so proud of her. She handled herself very well up there. And although he never expected to see her real presentation, he was happy to have been there.

---

Everyone had walked to the front to congratulate DeeDee who was just told that she cleared her defense and that the panel was recommending the certification of her Ph.D.

DeeDee saw Beverly and Phyllis first. They both ran over to her, giving her hugs and praise. She smiled at her two friends.

"Thank you both for being here."

"We wouldn't have missed this for the world, hun." Beverly spoke up for them.

DeeDee pulled away from them and headed over to Dr. O. He was standing next to a man in a nice black suit, who was a few inches taller than him. She tapped Dr. O on the shoulder, he turned back, saw it was DeeDee and gave her a hug. She pulled away and noticed that the gentleman next to him was staring intently at her.

When DeeDee looked over, she saw very familiar short dreads with a shadow fade, a neatly trimmed beard and the same dimples that she had been dreaming about recently. It can't be.

"Erik?" She breathily asked.

"In the flesh."

"What are you doing here?"

"You know I came for Dr. Bell's retirement party."

"Yeah, but I thought you would be here tomorrow or Sunday. But you are here. At my defense." She stepped back to look up at him.

"I am and it's nice to meet you, Dr. Deidre Chabert." He held his hands out.

She smiled brightly at him and walked forward into his arms. He engulfed her in a big hug.

"Let me take you out to celebrate tonight." Erik said into her ear. He looked over DeeDee's head and saw the two women from earlier staring at them.

"I would like that." She mumbled into his chest.

"Good, go get your things."

She pulled out of his embrace and stared at her friends who were now behind her. DeeDee slid by them and went to get her things.

"So, how do you know DeeDee?" Beverly asked him cheerfully.

Phyllis just stared at him, arms crossed against her chest. DeeDee bounced back over to everyone with her bags.

"Hey guys, I want you to meet Erik."

"What? Mr. Note in the textbook? No way."

"Guilty." He replied.

"Do you mind if we get together to celebrate later this week or next weekend?"

"Sure sweetie." Beverly spoke up. "Have fun, but not too much."

"Yeah, we'll see you later, Dee." Phyllis gave her a half hug and stormed past her.

Beverly gave her a hug and walked out after Phyllis.

"I have questions, but I'm gonna wait." Dr. O turned to DeeDee, "You're still coming over to go to the Christmas Festival with us tomorrow, right?"

"And miss an opportunity to see my favorite girl. Not a chance. Besides, I don't think she will forgive me."

"Great. Well, you two enjoy your evening." Dr. O daps Erik, "I'll see you tomorrow as well."

"Definitely. Goodnight Quis."

Erik grabbed DeeDee's things, "You want to leave your car here or drop it off at your place?"

"You can follow me home."

He extended his arm as they walked out of the room, "Lead the way, Dr. DeeDee."

"Don't you start that mess." She bumped him with her shoulder.

"Would you prefer Dr., Miss or Little?"

"Little?"

With his free hand, he grabbed her hand and intertwined their fingers. "You are much smaller than me."

"I bet you like that, don't you?"

"You have no idea how much." He squeezed her hand.

"Watch it, Mr. Erik."

"Or what?"

"I don't know yet, but you will find out." She returned the squeeze.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 37 11
Eleven part series following an up incoming singer - Shantel, signed to Golden Jaguar Records™, a label owned by Erik Killmonger Stevens. * * * * *...
4.3K 147 38
**IMPORTANT** I WROTE THIS BOOK 3 YEARS AGO SO IM SO SORRY IT SUCKS. IT HAS MISSPELLED WORDS AND HORRIBLE WRITING. I WAS A BIG FANGIRL WRITING THIS S...
52.2K 1.2K 24
I'll be writing this book based on the popular Korean Drama, 'The Heirs'. *Update* This book was originally meant for the 30 Days Writing challenge...
55.4K 531 29
i wrote this when i was 13 so i'm sorry for how bad it is but a lot of people seem to enjoy it so i'm leaving it up, just know i am self aware x