They Don't Know About Us

By superstar-striker

To everyone else it seems like Elliot Griffin is living the dream. She is living out her dream playing profes... More

|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
|5|
|6|
|7|
|8|
|9|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|28|
|29|
|30|
|31|
|32|
|33|
|34|
|35|
*IMPORTANT*
|36|
|37|
|38|
|39|
|40|
|41|
|42|
|43|
|44|
|45|
|46|
|47|
|48|
|49|
|50|
|51|
|52|
|53|
|54|
|55|
|56|
|57|
|58|
|59|
|60|
|61|
|62|
|64|
|65|
|66|
The End...
|65| Final Chapter

|63|

5.1K 150 21
By superstar-striker

Hey guys!!! It's been a while. Honestly this is more of a filler to move it along to where I need this to be. I'm also back in school now (finally!) Again this is my exam year so I please ask that people remember that and I have a shit tonne of work and projects that needs doing. Anyways I'm calling it guys! They don't know about us is coming to an end. And soon! Anyways I hope you enjoy!!!

"Sorry we're late production ran longer than expected. And don't even get me started on the kid who super glued hair to his face"

We were in America for a project I had planned with the Future Stars. We were originally just going to re-enact some of the songs from the movie The Greatest Showman but then it spiraled and now we're are putting on our own production of it using the kids from the project. We had all the songs practiced and rehearsed all we had to do was put it all together now really. And seeing as we have a friendly against The Netherlands coming up I thought now would be a great time to do it.

But while we were here Christen told me she wanted to meet up for something important and to probably bring Jessie along as well.

Tobin snorts and looks to Jessie who also nods, "She's not lying". Christen smiles and motions to the woman sitting across from me now, "Elliot, this is our lawyer for the equal pay trial, Payton Keller". She gives me a smile before leaning across the table to shake my hand, "Pleasure to meet you". I smile, "Likewise". I think look to Jessie, "And this is my fiancée Jessie". Her eyes widened slightly before she schooled her features with a small smile, "Congratulations". Jessie smiles and nods, "Thank you".

"So you maybe be wondering why I asked them to bring you here?" She asks. I glance sideways at Christen before looking back at her leaning back and arms crossed, "I might have an idea". She just leans her elbows on the table and clasp her hands in front of her, "Well I'm not going to beat around the bush. I want you to testify for the trial". I bite the inside of my lip as I think for a second. When I look over at Jessie I see she's the same .

"Why do you think that would be a good idea? I mean putting me on the stand....that could be dangerous" I say. She raises an eyebrow at me, "I've seen your post match interviews. You handle them like a Pro". I scoff lightly, "After years of practice and training from other players. Hell I still have to have Christen or one of the girls talk to me before hand and be on standby in case something goes wrong". I could see this catches her off guard as she thinks for a second before continuing on, "I still think you should testify".

I study her for a second furrowing my eyebrows at her, "What are you not telling me?" I can see she's planning her words very carefully before signing, "It's a calculated risk". This obviously doesn't sit well with Jessie who glares at the lawyer, "Calculated risk?"

She nods, "But a necessary one". She looks between the two of us, "I know it's risky but it needs to be done". Jessie looks confused, "Why? What am I missing here?" Her eyes flicker to me before focusing back on Jessie, "It is a possibility that they try and induce a panic attack on the stand".

We all sit there for a second. I let out a deep sigh pinching the bridge of my nose. Jessie sits up, "Well that decides it. She's not doing it". She looks at everyone else who all look conflicted, "Right?"

But Payton tries to step in, "She's an invaluable witness for our side". Jessie glares at her, "You have an entire team of witnesses who could do it". But Payton shakes her head sternly, "It has to be Elliot". Jessie shifts her focus and looks around at the other girls, "How can you be okay with this?" She singles in on Christen and Tobin, "You know how bad her attacks are. How could you be okay with this?"

Tobin mumbles, "I'm not". But Christen looks troubled as she looks between Jessie and I but focusing mostly on me, "We're not Jessie. But we also know that Elliot would be the perfect person to testify on behalf of the team". Payton nods, "She's right".

She turns fully to me, "Your a huge public figure. And not only for soccer. Everyone knows you. They know everything you've faced in your life but you continue to push through it. Not only are you an incredible player but your also a public figure. People see you as a People's Champion for all the good you do with your business. Your likeable and people will want to side with you. But not only that but your an instrumental part of the team and one of the future faces of the national team. So how will it look when one of the most influential players on the team doesn't testify?"

"That's good and all but your willing to chance Lee's health and wellbeing and I'm sorry but I'm not going to let you do that" Jessie argues. I put my hand on my fiancée's trying to calm her down a bit as I turn back to Payton, "Okay so what if I do go on the stand. Then what? You've painted me as some strong heroic figure. What happens when I have a full blown panic attack while testifying? Then what are you going to do?"

I was getting slightly frustrated by her. She pretended to be all knowing, acting as if I don't understand why this is so important and an obvious key part of the trial. And it was only growing as she just shrugs off my concerns as if it was a minor detail.

"You'll just have to try and control it" she says simply. At this I throw my hands up in annoyance. I scoff, "That sounds brilliant. What a brilliant plan. How haven't I thought about that before?" She sighs, "Elliot..." But I slam my hands down on the table making sure I have everyone's attention, "No! You don't get it. You act as if you know what it's like. How it feels like the world it closing in on you. How your senses go into overdrive and completely overwhelms you. How no matter how many breathes you take it feels that there's no oxygen in your lungs. But you don't know. I've suffered for these attacks for the majority of my life. Don't you think I would make them stop if I could? Instead I had to practice breathing techniques and rely on the people around me for help stopping them. Trust me if there was a way to stop them I wouldn't be waking up my Fiancée in the middle of the night because I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest preventing me from breathing".

I take another deep breath before continuing on, "And that's not even the end of it. I have to try and make sure I don't have one in public because it would "ruin my reputation". Because as much as I hate it there is always going to be assholes in the world which see me as weak for these attacks and it's hard enough making sure they listen to me because they don't believe a woman could run a company as big as mine. So I have to work twice as hard to show that I am an asset, not just something for them to stare at. So your not only banking my mental health on a risk but also my company's reputation. So don't you dare sit there and act as if I'm the problem or I'm being difficult here. I would be putting a lot on the line testifying".

Everyone looks at me shocked bar Jessie who looks at me with a sense of awe, pride and love. The team has never really seen this side of me. When I was with the team I was always just happy easy going always feeling comfortable around them. They weren't use to the serious, no nonsense business side which would tolerate no one's bullshit. After announcing that I was in fact the owner of the World Collective, people especially men seemed septical of my abilities. Abilities that had never come into question when they didn't know who was running the business. It always seemed that I had to prove myself in order to show I deserved my place at the table.

And honestly pissed me off endlessly

She unfolds her arms, "That. That is why I need you to testify".  Everyone looked at her in disbelief obviously shocked that even after all of that she was still adamant on me taking the stand. "What?" Jessie breathes out.

She looks me straight in the eye, "I could coach you all I want on what to say on the stand. But no one could teach you that. The passion behind when you speak. People listen when you speak because your words make an impact. Everyone can see how passionate you are. That's why I want you. You care".

She looks around the table again, "I know it's a big risk but imagine the rewards if we win. Your all athletes you all understand, no risk no glory". She singles back in on me, "I know you care about this team. Not only about your teammates. But you care about the past, present and future of this team. I see it when you talk about equal pay in your interviews. You do it for them. And for that to happen I need you to testify".

Everyone mulls over everything as we sit there in silence. We both had pretty good arguments and I knew the girls felt horrible with me being in the center of the unavoidable situation. I couldn't help but think back to a few months ago when we all came to an agreement to do everything in our power to win this law suit. Would by not testifying mean I'm not fulfilling my side of that agreement? But is it really worth it at the cost of my own health?

"Is this our only option?" Becky asks. Payton shrugs, "We have a lot of options. But I'm telling you this is our best one at winning". I let out a huff as I slump back into the chair dragging my hand down my face.

"It has to be Ellie's choice" Alyssa says finally, "no one can decide this but her". She turns to me directly, "I understand why we need to you go up. But honestly if that's what they're planning on doing...I'm not sure I would want you up there". I smile softly at my crossword buddy. Tobin shakes her head, "I'm with Lyssa on this". She turns to Christen, "We know how bad her attacks can be. And I don't want to be responsible for putting her in harm's way like that. We have other options and nothing is worth it at the expense of Tiny".

It seems that Becky and Christen have this non verbal discussion as they share a look before they both nod. "They're right" Becky nods before turning to Payton, "We can't force Ellie to do this. It has to be her decision".

I could practically see the frustration flowing off her but she nods stiffly before turning to me. I bite the inside of my cheek as everyone looks at me. I look over at Jessie who looks to conflicted to say anything. My hand immediately goes to the ring around my neck for comfort before sighing, "I'll... I'll think about it. But no promises". Payton clenches her jaw but nods probably happy that it's not a straight no, "That's fine".

I look to my teammates, "Give me a few days to think it over and I'll get back to you". Christen smiles, "That's fine Ellie". I nod, "Great now excuse me but I'm tired and would like to go cuddle with my future wifey". They all chuckle at that while Jessie just beams at me. We say a quick goodbye and head back out to the car. But after driving for a while sitting in silence I look over at my future wife.

"You've been quiet" I say as I put my hand on Jessie's leg. She sighs, "Just thinking". "Well I've always found your thoughts very interesting" I joke hoping it would lighten things up. But I frown as I realise my attempts didn't work as she continues staring out the window not so much as a grin coming out of her.

I sigh, "Please talk to me Freckles. I want to know what your thinking". She continues looking out the window for another bit before sighing again, "I think it's unfair". I furrow my eyebrows, "What is?"

She shrugs, "Everything. It's unfair that even after everything you've faced, she's asking you to go up there and do this despite the consequences that might follow. Despite what that God awful lawyer that will do everything in his power to make you look bad. Even after everything you've faced, she asking you to put yourself on the line for this trial. And that's not even what pisses me off the most".

She moves her hand down so she can interlock our fingers, "The thing that annoys me most is that your probably going to end up agreeing to it". I risk looking at her out of the corner of my eye not fully taking my attention off the road but just enough to look at her, "Why do you say that?" She runs her thumb over the back of my hand, "Because I know you Lee".

"The second she said that by doing this your helping your team I knew you were going to do it. You help people Lee even at the cost of yourself. It's just who you are. It's one of the things I both love and hate about you. Your completely selfless Lee. I know your going to do this despite the risks involved because you want to help make a change for the better".

I squeeze her hand, "Your forgetting one thing". She cock's her head at me before I continue, "Jess you are singly the most important person in my life and I care what you think Jess. Your opinion matters to me". She smiles, "I know but I also know that you'll regret not going something if you don't do this. I know deep down you want to do this. But I'm always going to put you before everything else. But if this is something you need to do, then I'll be there with you the entire way".

I smile at her, "I knew there was a reason I asked you to marry me". She can't hold back the snort as she looks down at her ring finger. I raise our entwined hands and kiss the back of her hand, "Seriously though I can't believe I get to spend the rest of my life with you". Jessie smiles, "It almost seems surreal".

"You make me the happiest I've ever been Freckles and I will forever spend making sure you know how much I love you" I whisper to her softly. She waits until I break at the lights and then she leans over the console cupping my cheek. Blue meets brown briefly before she closes the space between us. "I love you too Lee. It's always going to be us. Forever and always". I smile and nudge her noses with mine. I could have stayed there forever.

If it wasn't for the car beeping at us signalling the lights had changed

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

411K 7.3K 52
Sage is 17 and her life has taken a turn for the worse ever since she lost her father. Her mother has become abusive and hasn't let Sage out of the h...
962K 28.8K 139
Eleanore Queen is the upcoming rising star for both her club and national team. Recruted by the Arsenal Academy at an age of 12, she made her debut f...
363K 5.9K 49
Rosie is a struggling teenager With abusive parents who won't allow her to play football, she spends every day fighting to find hope to stay alive Af...
114K 2.2K 28
Aleid van Alstine has been representing the Netherlands since she was seventeen, kickstarting her career at nearby club FC Twente, before moving to G...