Cursed or Not (I don't care)...

By hanahimitsu

This is a romantic ShigurexOC fan fiction based in the series Fruits Basket. All the characters and elements... More

01. Back to where all started
02. Reunited again
04. Getting to know you
05. The Storm
06. Retreat
07. Unrequited feelings
08. Stay close to me
09. Confession
10. Tangled
11. Too late
12. Paying off the debt
13. Kept away
14. A little haven of peace
15. I can't stand it anymore
16. Giving the cold shoulder

03. The calm before the storm

734 26 10
By hanahimitsu

Important note: I'm not a native english speaker (nor a professional writer), and though I feel kind of comfortable with it, my level is far from being bilingual. Even so, I wanted to write this story in english so it can be reached by more people (specially Furuba fans). Please let me know any typo or mistake that I can have done in the comments of each chapter so I can polish it as much as possible. Thanks in advance and please enjoy it!

* * *

Some days have passed but Nao wasn't able to meet with Akito for a second time yet, mainly due to the delicate health of this one but also because of some family duties that the head of the family had to attend. So in the meanwhile she took the chance to spend some time with the younger Sohmas as well as Tohru, with whom she was already getting along great.

- Uhm? A festival?

- Yes, there'll be a lot of stands and fireworks at night. Some friends from our class are coming too, it will be so much fun so please feel free to join! - said Tohru lively, while drying the dishes that Nao was handing her. She decided that, while staying at Shigure's house, she would help with the chores in exchange.

- It sounds nice! It's a pity that I don't have any yukata here to wear. - Said Nao, thinking out loud.

- Ah, but Hana-chan's aunt have a kimono rental shop, she told me that we can borrow a pair of yukatas if we want...

- Excuse me! - Someone interrupted their conversation from outside the house. - Sensei? Are you at home?

- Sensei..? - Nao wondered who that could be.

- Ah! That must be Shigure-san's editor, Mitsuru-san. - exclaimed Tohru - He's a recognized writer, but he drives her crazy with the manuscripts after all. - and runned towards the entrance to attend the visitor.

"A writer..?" thought Nao while placing the last dishes on the shelves "Now that I think of it I didn't ask him what he does for a living." ... "But a recognized author... I would have never imagined it. Although... that explains why he owns this nice house after all"

- I'm so sorry! Shigure-san is not here at the moment and he might be coming back late today, but if you wish you can wait here... - notified Tohru, bowing again and again to the visible desperate editor, who once more was evaded by him with a deadline on top of them.

- I can't believe it! - Mitsuru covered her face with the palm of her hand dramatically... - Only a couple of days left to the deadline and he has shown no signs of life... - started to complain to herself - He's going to kill my nerves! - then inhaled deeply in an attemt to recompose - Honda-san...

- Y-yes?..

- Please tell sensei to finish the manuscript by the deadline, or else... - she did a dramatic pause - I will quit my job! I promise! This time I'm serious about it! - Tohru saw Mitsuru's eyes becoming inevitably wet, but the editor bowed and quickly turned around to avoid being seen crying.

- I'll do... - Said Tohru, mostly to herself, as Mitsuru was running back to her car, sobbing.

"So this is how Shigure-san really is as a writer..." and Nao couldn't avoid to chuckle, as she had witnessed all the scene from the inside of the house. "Somewhat it fits his personality."

That day at early afternoon, the two girls met with Hana-chan at her aunt's shop to try on some yukatas. They planned to attend the festival with Kyo and Yuki, who were waiting for them at home, and arranged to meet all together with Arisa directly at the park later.

- Your other friend... Uotani-san (Arisa), was it? - asked Nao, while helping Tohru to tie her obi - Doesn't she want to wear a yukata too?

- Arisa's waves don't fit into a yukata - Answered Hana, very serious about it.

- I see... - Nao couldn't really understand all that "waves" thing, but she didn't want to be rude with Tohru's friend, so she just decided to play the game - But is it really ok if I borrow one? I'll be glad to pay for it... - Hana-chan got closer, really close actually, to Nao's face.

- Your waves are pleasant, so it's ok. - Nao shivered "this girl is truly intense about those waves stuff, huh?"

- T-thank you... - "I guess"

The three girls enjoyed their time trying and choosing the yukatas and obis while Hana's aunt helped them to pick the one that suited each one better. Tohru was wearing a pink yukata decorated with cute butterflies, Nao's one had a fine white fabric with a rose pattern on it, and Hana choose a dark navy one with golden dragonflies. The three of them together, dressed like that, made a truly beautiful scene. Once they were finished dressing and doing her hairs properly they finally walked back to Shigure's house to meet with the young Sohmas. The three girls walked into the entrance of the house wearing the colorful outfits. Yuki and Kyo, who were there already waiting for them, couldn't say a word when they saw them wearing the yukatas. Instead of saying anything, they just looked away, with their cheeks slightly flushed. Hana's aunt was very experienced in her job, after all.

- Shigure-san... isn't he coming? - Asked Tohru while walking to the park, where they arranged to meet with Uotani.

- He said something about writing a lot of pages for some manuscript. - Kyo replied.

- Ah... it's true. - And then she remembered about Mitsuru's visit that morning.

- When he saw the note you left him, he locked himself in his studio. I bet he completely forgot about the deadline... - Yuki added - He said he'll try to join us for the fireworks tho.

- I see... I hope she manage to-

- There you are! - someone yelled at them.

- Ah, Arisa-chan! - exclaimed Tohru, and started waving her hand to the tall blonde girl standing a few meters in front of them.

- Wow! You gals look amazing in that yukatas! I almost feel regretful for not wearing one. - joked her.

Nao was introduced to Arisa Uotani, and then the young group walked into the crowd enjoying the nice atmosphere of the festival. The ambience was very colorful, with all the lanterns lighting the way while the sunset was settling in the background. The weather was really nice that evening and fortunately it wasn't raining. It could be defined as the perfect summer evening. Yuki and Kyo avoided each other as much as possible, but not much later a couple of classmates found them and hoarded Kyo while walking around the stands, Yuki was nicely chatting with Tohru while Arisa-chan and Hana-chan were looking at some accessories in one of the shops. Everything was going really smooth that day, but even so, Nao couldn't avoid to be immersed in her thoughts, worried.

"I hope I can meet Akito alone someday soon... After all I'm only staying here during the holidays. I need to talk to her about so many things..." Nao continued walking absentminded while dancing around the issue "Maybe...If everything goes according to the plan... I can transfer to this city University next term, and then dedicate completely to try to find a solution... I know I'm getting my hopes high but... I really wish I can do something to help Akito and her family..."

Before she could realize she was accidentally separated from the rest of the group "Oh crap... I think I got lost. I'm not really familiar with this neighborhood... Should I just stay here and wait for them to find me?" She tried to spot a place that stood out so she could be found easily "Ah, but the fireworks are about to start. And I don't want to be a nuisance to them, they already did so many things for me..." Nao looked nervously at her surroundings, trying to identify the way back to where she was. A couple of guys that were walking nearby seemed to notice and rapidly approached her.

- Hey cutie, it looks like you are here all by yourself. - Said one of them

- Do you want to come with us? It's much more fun with more people - Added the other guy.

"Oh no, and now this... like if I have nothing better to do that to deal with these guys"

- Sorry, but I'm looking for someone and I should hurry. - Said her to get rid of them.

When she was about to leave, one of the guys suddenly grabbed her by the arm, stopping her from walking away.

- Come on! Don't be so stiff. It's obvious that you are alone. Just relax and have some fun with us, I promise you will enjoy it. - And started to laugh at her.

"Fuck... This can't be happening to me. Why I always have the worst luck?" Nao tried to release her arm from the guy's hand with no success.

- I just want to go, so leave me alone, ok? - Said Nao rudely, visibly irritated. But the guy, amused by her reaction, just pushed her close to him with almost no effort.

- You have such a bad temper... Come here, I will teach you one thing or two... - The guy grinned in a disgusting way.

Nao considered her options to safely run away from him...

- I wonder... What could be learned from a disgusting person like you? - A familiar voice interrupted the hassle. Both guys turned to see who was talking to them so blatantly.

- Get lost dude, mind your own business. - Said the thug, a bit annoyed by the sudden intromission, while still holding Nao.

Shigure put his hand in Nao's shoulder. - Harassing my girlfriend is reason enough to make it my own business, don't you think? - She got her eyes wide open at the same time that her face became completely red "w-what did he just say?". It was obvious that he had said that just to dissuade the guys, but she couldn't avoid to feel flustered.

The thug released Nao's arm and stepped back raising his hands in a signal of apology - Ah, I'm sorry man, I didn't mean to bother you.

- It was me the one you were bothering, you should have stopped when I told you to! - Nao couldn't avoid to enrage by the guy's attitude.

Both thugs immediately flighted away to avoid more problems, but Nao was still troubled. Shigure got his hand off her crossing his arms under his yukata -as he usually does- and tried to calm her down by distracting her with some conversation.

- It seems you are the kind of person who gets lost easily, don't you? - He said mockingly, hinting at the other day when they met for the first time, when Nao was trying to figure out a map.

But before she could even answer there was a loud whistling, followed by a little explosion in the sky. People's voices also began to rose, in exaltation.

- The fireworks - exclaimed Nao, looking up - they are about to start. - and tons of people began to agglomerate by a river bank near there, trying to get a nice spot.

- Ah... the place is already packed with people. We won't get a good view from here... - He said thoughtfully. And an instant later, like realizing something, he took Nao by one of her wrists and started walking by a stone path up behind the trees. She decided to follow, expecting that he knew where to meet with the others.

- Take care with the branches, we're almost there - he advised her, as they went up the stair-shaped rocks.

A few meters ahead they reached a small hill, hidden in the forest, but high enough to have a enviable view of the fireworks. The others were not there, as Nao had guessed before, but the sound of the fireworks already resonating above them grabbed all her attention.

- So beautiful... - she exclaimed, enchanted.

The variety of colours of the different explosions reflected in all the surroundings, turning the entire landscape into a kind of magical light show. Amusingly, Shigure observed the expression of amazement in Nao's face. The coloured lights reflecting on her face intermittently, made her facial features stood out beautifully. It was at that moment when he realized she was wearing a graceful yukata that suited her perfectly, which in addition to her hair tied up, made her look outstanding. But for some reason, unlike his usual behaviour in these kind of situations, he decided to remain silent instead of saying anything.

Unconsciously, he ended up spending more time looking at her than at the fireworks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.6M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...