Bite Me.

By OliverTwist96

The Canadian wilderness. A vast forest filled with animals large and small. Wolves, deer, mountain lions, moo... More

Bite Me.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Halloween Special
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
If you don't ask I won't tell.

Chapter 17

26.5K 1.5K 255
By OliverTwist96

Avery's POV

They say bravery is being courageous or having a strong character. People believe being brave is something you simply are, it's apart of you.

But I don't see it that way.

I see bravery as a moment. A random moment of insanity where you put everything above yourself. Yes, that is what I believe bravery is.

A single moment of madness.

"Rick STOP!!!"

My body wasn't my own anymore as I felt myself latch onto Rick's arm and hang on for dear life. My cast was wrapped around his bicep and my right arm latched onto the cast holding me securely in place as Rick was knocked off balance by my weight and he let go of Nate in surprise. We both went toppling to the left as he tried to regain his balance.

He growled in surprise as he slipped on the wet floor and we went tumbling down. Rick landed beneath me as I toppled on top of him. I quickly laid my weight down on top of him holding his arms to his sides. This task was made difficult with my cast and so I could only hold right arm down over his chest.

As we settled after our fall I stared down at Rick as his chest heaved and his eyes, now an abysmal black, stared up at me unflinching.

"...avery..."

He didn't struggle. He just lay there beneath me staring up.

I could hear the world around us as people came to see what had happened. I heard the shatter of glass as people stumbled about and the smell of spaghetti sauce from the broken jar I had dropped when I went to grab Rick. I heard the mutterings and gasps as I felt more than saw forms move around us.

But I felt their eyes the most.

My skin itched and burned under their unknowing scrutiny. I tried to ignore it as I held Rick's gaze, trying to force him to calm down. Something in my face must have given me away for Rick's eyes began to shift back, slowly, to the warm honey I knew so well. His hardened features melted and he was left pliant under me as if he were a rag doll.

I didn't realize I was shaking until I heard the faint sound of my teeth chattering.

"A-are you go-good now?..." I closed my eyes feeling my cheeks burn with multiple emotions.

Humility, anger, sadness, frustration, and most of all fear.

Not of Rick.

No definitely not of Rick. Not the people around us. Not Nate. Not Evie. Not anyone in particular. I just felt this overbearing fear inside of me that clawed at my insides and made my fingers shake as I held tightly onto Rick for some type of support.

I flinched when I felt fingers brush against my cheek and I opened my eyes to see Rick looking at me and softly running his fingers along my jaw line. Rick let out a long, tired, and frustrated sigh that sounded rough and I felt the vibrations in his chest.

We were both wearing thin.

"Yeah."

I let go of his arms and moved to kneel beside him as he sat up as well. I tried to keep my eyes down and away from the curious onlookers but felt them flash up now and then to meet their worried gazes. It was when my eyes connected with Nate's that I moved quickly to look at his neck.

It was already bruising and it looked like it hurt but when I went to touch it he simply shook me off and motioned with his eyes back to Rick. I looked back as well and saw Rick looking at the both of us with an unreadable expression that bordered on...

...hurt...

With a sigh, I nodded my understanding, and stood up. I stepped over the mess we had made to get to Rick's side and put out my hand.

"Let's go home."

Rick looked up at me with a blank expression before he nodded and stood, not talking my hand.

So we left.

The stares did not stop but Rick kept me close to his side and did not let me out of his sight for a moment. It was a comforting feeling, having him next to me as if he were a wall. The warm muscle pressed firmly to me made the shivering slow and my tense shoulders loosen.

After having a silent conversation with Evie about what had just happened and where I was going we made it to his truck that was parked particularly badly.

The large black truck was almost horizontal to the yellow lines of the parking spot it was supposedly supposed to be in. I could smell the faint stench of burnt rubber and eyed the black marks on the pavement warily. But Rick ignored my glance, opened the passenger side door and without a word hefted me up. I sat silently in the leather seat as he swiftly moved to the other side and got in.

We sat in silence as we sped through the surrounding world leaving the world behind us in a blur. It felt as if it was only a few seconds before Rick was pulling up to... my cabin...

He parked the truck and then hesitated before he turned off the engine. He didn't look at me. My eyes were large as I looked from Rick to my cabin which stood still and cold in light of the day. It had honestly been over a month since I had seen my home of five years. But there was something odd about it. Normally I felt a warmth inside when I was home. But now I felt... something was missing... I turned slowly to see Rick was still staring silently out into the snowy landscape.

Oh...

"Why did we come here?"

My question was left to float in the cold air between us before Rick silently opened his door and exited the truck. He came around and opened my door for me. He held out a hand and I unsurely took it as he helped me down. We walked to my door and Rick opened it easily enough for I doubt it had ever had a lock upon it.

Who would be stupid enough to break into a bear's home?

We entered into the quiet cabin and Rick set me down on my couch as he went to the fireplace and proceeded to build a fire. He went about his task in silence and I felt the itching fear grow inside of me as Rick proceeded to ignore me. I grabbed feebly at my chest as the aching, burning pain increased and made my breaths short and pained.

It hurt to be ignored.

At the sound of crackling and the smell of smoke I looked up to find Rick stoking the building flames before standing up from his previous kneeling. He carefully brushed off his knees and paused for a moment staring into the flames. We both stared. Neither saying a word. It felt as if the first person to look away from the hungry flames would break the spell and everything would shatter.

"I'll..." Rick paused as he ran a frustrated hand over his beard and his eyes shut tightly. Rick was fighting something. I scooted forward on the couch and leaned forward trying to gain Rick's attention.

"Rick?"

This seemed to have snapped him out of his thoughts but what he said next caused my chest to seize, "I'll be going then."

Rick turned promptly and headed for the door.

"Rick?"

He didn't stop.

"Rick?!"

He didn't flinch.

"Wait Rick!"

I rushed to my feet and stumbled around the couch as Rick came dangerously close to the door already reaching his hand up for the handle.

"STOP!!!"

I grabbed his calloused hand within my own and pulled back hard. My chest burned and I felt a heartbeat within my shoulder where I could feel the broken bone pulse with heat. My breath was ragged and the hand securely latched onto Rick trembled slightly. Rick didn't turn to look at me, his hand already held firm to the doorknob. His eyes staring determinedly at the oak door. His shoulders tensed and coiled.

"...rick?"

There was a time where neither of us even breathed. I didn't understand what was happening but I felt somewhere deep inside if I let go of this hand it could be lost to me forever.

"Why?" my voice cracked lightly as I stared at the back of Rick's head. This was a loaded question. Filled with so many words I couldn't make myself say.

Why are we doing this?

Why does this hurt so much?

Why are we fighting each other?

Why is it like this?

Why are you leaving me now?

My eyes itched as I felt them begin to water. My throat was constricting and my breaths were harsh and raspy. My nails dug into the wrist I clung to for dear life as the one word filled with so many questions rang out between us.

Was it something I did?

This last thought whispered itself into my head and I found my grip loosening at that thought.

Was this all my fault? Everything that has happened, is my fault?

My eyes fell from Rick's head to the floor. My shoulders fell forward.

It has to be true.

Ever since the beginning Rick had been trying to tell me, trying to show me the truth but I had refused to see it. I fought Rick at every turn, ignoring his advances and shutting down his attempts of affection. This led Rick to become desperate and in his desperation he lashed out. I had been angry with this and thus sent him away. Because of this Rick was tortured by what happened for a week until he came for me only to find me dying in the snow.

And now when I had woken up nothing had changed.

But I'm scared.

If I let Rick in. Let him love me and I in return love him then what happens on the day I lose him? What happens when he disappears? How can I survive it? How can I endure that pain again? I've lost so much, how can I survive losing Rick too?

"I thought you wanted to go home."

My fingers flinched on Rick's wrist as I glanced up at Rick in question. He didn't look back.

"What?"

He let out a sigh and rested his forehead against the door, "You said you wanted to go home... So I brought you home."

"But I di..." my eyes widened as I realized what I was about to say.

'I didn't mean my cabin.'

My eyes fell back to the floor as my grip tightened on his wrist. Standing inside the home I had known for five years didn't make me feel warm or safe anymore as it used to. Not when Rick was going to leave it behind.

"I didn't mean my cabin..."

I let this sentence hang as Rick's head turned slightly. I took a large steadying breath as I thought about how warm his skin felt, "I had meant our home."

I looked up to find Rick looking directly at me with large eyes filled with confusion... and hope...

"...i'm so sorry..."

A single, cold tear trickled down my cheek and clung to my chin, "... I love you..."

A shiver ran down my spine as I clung to Rick and clamped my eyes shut.

"I love you... and I am so sorry I put you through all this... I... I-I accept you... I accept you as my m...m-mate..."

On that last word I felt my knees buckle as I slumped to the floor on my knees still holding onto Rick's wrist.

"I'm so afraid... I'm so afraid you hate me....a-after everything... I just can't... I can't lose you too... I couldn't... I couldn't survive it again... p-please... Please..." Tears were streaming down my face as I threw my pride out the window and laid my soul bare before this man I had somehow come to love with my whole being.

"Either leave and never return... or... love me and NEVER LET ME GO!!!"

This last was said with a shattered voice and at a level which shook my chest and caused my lungs to seize from my ragged, uneven breaths. I was cold. Shivering uncontrollably. There was nothing but silence surrounding me beyond my gasps and whines. I felt empty and cold.

But then I felt warmth engulf me.

Strength envelope me like a thick wool blanket.

The scratch of a beard upon my head.

The warm softness of a pair of lips upon my forehead.

And the shivering cold wetness of tears falling into my hair.

"I could never let you go. I've gone past the point of no return Avery. You are my past, You are my now, and You are my forever..."

Only one more chapter to go :') It has been a fantastic adventure guys and I hope you'll all join me next week for the FINAL chapter of Bite Me. This chapter pulled a lot of emotion out for me honestly and I found myself pausing during writing to truly think about what I just wrote. Thank you for the support and PLEASE write  your thoughts. I want to know your emotions about this chapter and your thoughts about what is to come.

Thank you all, Oliver Twist

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.7K 3.4K 34
Flames had followed Erin his entire life. It began with the grisly housefire that consumed his father. Henri Maye had been Erin's entire world and in...
1.3M 40.5K 47
Life for years have been easy for Nicholai. He doesn't have to worry about much. He has cars, girls, and all the attention he could ever want. Becaus...
1.4M 60.7K 18
[MAN x MAN] Kolbe is a young wolf, all alone with no pack to care for him. He's been a lone wolf for as long as he can remember, used to looking afte...
355K 17K 29
After he has been abandoned by his parents at only eight years old, Teddy was found by a mysterious man and brought into Cambodda, one of the biggest...