Phantom Love

By Nordlys242

I'm a ghost. Or at least I think I'm a ghost. No one can see me and I've been wandering the world aimlessly f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13: Forrest
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19: Emerson
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23: Drazik
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Update
Chapter 26: Leandre
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30: Forrest
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33: Leandre
Chapter 34
Chapter 35: Keitaro
Chapter 36
Chapter 37: The Guys
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45

Chapter 17: Kieran

12.5K 570 42
By Nordlys242

        She just accepted me. Just like that. Can't seem to wrap my head around it, honestly. My whole life there's been a weight that's settled over my chest and with time it just grew heavier and heavier. I have always lain in wait for the day I will one day succumb to the same darkness that drove my grandfather. I am mostly demon after all and most demons are well, not pleasant to begin with. I, on the other hand, came from bad stock and have always felt an expiration date looming over my head like the shadow of an executioner before the guillotine drops. 

        That is until about five minutes ago. She laid it out for me so simply that even I couldn't refute what she was saying. My brothers have tried time and time again to make me see the light. To come out of the dark place I had been in since my parents were murdered. I thought the only way out was death. I figured if I died before I cracked then at least the good would outweigh the bad. So time and time again I threw myself into dangerous situations, not caring if I lived or died. For the first time in my life, right this very second, I care and I care a lot. If the beautiful woman standing in front of me is what I have to live for then I will live. I will live so she can. She's given me hope and I've taken to it like a man offered water in a barren desert. 

       I look around to my brothers as they surround the woman who has become precious to us. Forrest stands in front of her, taking point as usual, Drazik and Emerson to either side of her, and Leandre and I guard her back. When my eyes land on Leandre he raises a single brow in question. When I nod my head and look to Raven a large grin spreads across his face and he reaches over to squeeze my forearm in a show of support. I smile back at him, the new lightness I feel spreading through my body and showing out of my eyes. I can tell he can see the difference because his eyes soften and pure relief shows through. I feel a light tap to my consciousness and, knowing it's Leandre, I open the door. 

        This isn't a talent of his he uses often because he sees it as invasive but, seeing as we're trying to be sneaky, it's necessary. When he opens a mind link with another you can feel the other's emotions if you aren't guarding yourself. I don't allow my wall to come up for once because, for the first time, he won't feel the crushing weight. I let the lightness of my being fill me up. 

        She accepted me. I whisper in my head, knowing Leandre will pick it up.

        Did you think she wouldn't? He asks. I have done much worse than you and she accepted me. 

        His relief from that day pours through me and it's similar to what I'm feeling now. We both smile like idiots for a moment while we scour the surrounding area for threats. 

       So does this mean you'll stop being an idiot with a death wish? He asks in a joking tone. 

       I only plan to have a death wish if it means saving her. I say. Understanding washes through me and when I look back over to him I feel the determination and will to protect Raven. He feels the same way as I do, as I'm sure all the guys do. 

       I feel the connection abruptly close and am thrown into high alert. Drazik lets out a growl and I can see his skin ripple as he fights his need to shift. Emerson's skin has gone a pale lavender color in the darkness of the old abandoned church, his eyes dark as he looks around. Forrest's skin changes to a grey color as it hardens into his stone skin. I reach into my jacket and pull out two throwing knives and palming them in anticipation for an attack. 

       We all stop though when a faint silver glow starts around Raven. Black smoke interspersed with silver strands work their way down her arms, turning into two black ravens. They're identical outside of their beaks. I have no clue how the lass knows who is who when it comes to them but somehow she does. She looks to both of them then nods and they both take to the air, circling above us in a protective dance. She takes a deep breath before looking to all of us. 

       "We're surrounded." She says, "I do not believe they wish to hurt us though." She looks out past us and her voice grows louder, "Or do you? If you do I have to forewarn you that these guys will definitely not be okay with that. Neither will I. If your plan is to harm us, I suggest you back away."

        There's a fierceness in her gaze I've only seen once before. It was the first moment she turned around in that cellar, filled with a wild energy and determination, like she could take on the world, for us. It was at that moment I was captured by her. I've filled my life with any fun and excitement I could find to fill the void within me but it wasn't until her that I felt how hollow all of those activities were. When I fed off of her the first time was when I knew there was no one else for me. She didn't succumb to my gifts as so many others have. She didn't lose herself. I could freely be me for the first time in my life, no holding back. She held me still for the first time in a long time and, for the first time in my life, I enjoyed it. 

        We all gather in closer around her as at least fifteen figures step out from the shadows surrounding us. The pews have since long been removed, only weeds and crumbling brick in their wake, leaving us far too open for attack in the middle of the room. One figure breaks from the pack and walks towards us with their arms raised. When she gets about fifteen feet away Drazik and Forrest both let out a warning growl and the figure stops. 

        "I am going to remove my hood now. We wish no harm on your or yours, Iris of the Goddess Nyx." She raises her hands slowly before removing her hood. 

        "Raven. My name is Raven now." She mumbles as the woman removes her hood. She reaches up to Forrest's stiff back and places her hand on it, "Any chance you guys could move a little bit? I can't see anything through the man forest surrounding me." She chuckles at her own joke and a few of us smiling, some of the tension leaving our bodies. 

        Forrest shifts to the side so Raven can see what's happening and she gasps. She takes a step forward, towards the woman who just removed her hood. 

        "Bella?" Raven asks.

         I look to the human and my brows furrow. The woman is tall and willowy with pale skin and long blonde hair pulled into a plait that falls over her shoulder. Her eyes are a crystal clear blue that seem to shine even though there's not much light in the abandoned church. 

        "No, priestess." The woman answers, "Bella was my many times removed great grandmother. I am Isabella, named after that same great grandmother. My peers call me Izzy. I assume you are here for the book you tasked her with safeguarding." 

         Raven simply stares at the woman, entranced, before she comes back to herself. She blinks a few times before steeling her resolve and nodding. 

        "I am." She says, a slight wobble to her voice, "I am glad to see she was able to keep her promise. How was her life, after her escape?" 

        Izzy smiles, "It was good. She met a wonderful man, fell in love, and their love brought about me." 

        "And are you human, like she was?" Raven asks. 

        "I am not. Bella fell in love with a kitsune after her escape from your prison. Their offspring were all Kitsune, as am I." She explains. 

        Raven's face lights up and a smile appears, "I'm glad she found love. Is her mate still with us?" 

        Izzy shakes her head, "No he died when Bella did. He had lived hundreds of years before her and could not find the will to live without her. We live on in his stead." She motions to the people around us, "This is the order of Nyx. We are small and comprised of supernaturals from all walks of life. Bella started it as a way to always keep the book safeguarded. We stand between the world and it for it is the only way to right the world once again." She looks to Raven, "Now though, you have come. So instead we stand with you." 

        She reaches into her robe and, after a few metallic clanging sounds, removes a small but thick tome from the folds. She holds it out for Raven and she steps forward, her ravens coming to sit on either shoulder. She holds the tome tight to her chest and whispers a thank you before stepping back. 

        Raven meets the expectant stare of Izzy and sighs, "I know you wish to see me open it but it is something I wish to do in private." 

        Izzy nods, understanding, "I understand but I cannot let you leave with it unless you can prove who you are. I had thought you would open it as your blood would prove who you are but now we will need something else." 

        Raven nods before stepping back into the protection of our bodies. We close around her as she closes her eyes, smoke wafting around her body. In a few moments her ravens are gone and the outfit she was wearing previously is gone, replaced with a long sleeved, high necked, black velvet dress. All of her is covered but as she touches Forrest's back again, signaling for him to move, I see the slit running up one side of the dress. As she steps forward her leg becomes visible. She takes a few more steps before jutting a leg forward, revealing the intricately woven crescent moon placed on her hip. I get distracted by the fact that she's not showing any underwear off which means she's not wearing any. I remind my body that this is not the time to go caveman and carry her off but it's a hard won battle. 

        By the time I'm done fighting my own body's need to go to her, strip her down, and caress every inch of her body, she's finishing up her conversation with Izzy and making her way back to us. 

        "They're going to follow us back. She refuses to leave me now, something about me being their new charge." She smiles up at us, "Well let's go then. Izzy can ride with us because I have a ton more questions for her but the rest will simply follow us. I want to get this thing open." 

         We all eye the robed figures surrounding us before we each nod our heads and, in unison, make our way back out the way we came. Two more vans are pulled up behind us and everyone except us and Izzy pile in. We pile in to our own vehicle with Forrest and Drazik in the front, Emerson, Leandre, and I in the back, and Izzy and Raven situated in the middle. 

        Leandre and I banter back and forth for a while while Emerson sits between us, rolling his eyes at our ridiculousness occasionally but loving it none the less. Eventually we fall into a happy silence as we make our way back to Miriam's. I get lost in all the ways I wish to devour the gorgeous creature sitting in front of me for a while. She had mentioned something about a shower before, that's where I'll take her first. She had also mentioned something about exhibitionism. Maybe Leandre and I can work something out for at the club. If we're both on the dance floor and blocking her from view it would be doable and utterly sexy. Before I can get lost in any more fantasies I'm being drawn out by the lasses' conversation. 

         "So do you have anyone special then?" Raven asks Izzy. 

         Izzy turns bright red and looks around to all of us. We all have our heads turned away from the conversation, giving them as much privacy as possible. 

         "Don't worry about them. I guarantee they've heard worse. They won't pass judgment and, if they do I'll totally kick their asses for you." 

          I hear someone snort something out in amusement and my mind flashes to Raven taking charge in the bedroom. I groan, honestly not aware that that was something I was in to. I guess now I am. 

         "Well," Izzy starts nervously before leaning into Raven and mumbling something. 

         "Really?" Raven practically yells, "Ah hell yeah! I totally have to introduce you to someone." 

         Izzy looks both shocked and relieved at the same time before I look to Raven and see the mischievous glint in her eyes. They dart to Drazik quickly before they're back on Izzy. I look to Leandre and see he's seen the same thing. We both smirk at each other knowing Raven is planning something and we both want in. 

         The ladies continue talking while the rest of us talk among ourselves. As we pull up to Miriam's house Raven lets out an excited squeak and practically drags Izzy to the house. I smile as Raven barges in like she's already claimed the house as her own home, not even bothering to knock. The guys wait until the rest of the order show up to discuss details. With so many people we don't have enough beds inside the house to have everyone stay over so, we figure out a sentry rotation schedule. It allows for three quarters of the order to stay at the hotel down the road while the other quarter stays here to guard the property. 

         A group of three women come forward and stand in front of us. They all have their robes pushed back behind their backs, revealing the flexible black armor underneath. The one in the middle has hair of a chocolate brown color and there's a slight greenish hue to her skin. There are a few flowers sticking out of the bun placed in the back of her head and I realize that she's a forest nymph. I wonder why she is here and not in the forest she was born into, the forest she would be duty bound to guard, but the question can wait for later.

        "I am Enra," She motions to the red haired woman to her right, "This is Flare." There's a flicker of fire in her chocolate brown eyes and I'm able to tell she's a fire elemental. Enra's hand then motions to the woman with short cropped black hair. One side is shaved off and there are black markings moving across her skin. The markings match the black color of her eyes and I have to keep myself from gasping in surprise, she's a shadow mage. They are incredibly rare but having one on our side is welcomed, "And this is Numbra." 

        "We are the elite guards among the order, our commander is Isabella, we follow and guard her as well as the book. Now that our focus has shifted we will move to guard Raven." She explains. 

        "You may stay in the house with us." Forrest says, "But we also act as Raven's guards and currently don't want anyone else in the mix." 

         I roll my eyes and smirk at Leandre. Forrest has never had a way with words. He just says shit without any filter or clue as to what he's saying may come across. It's hilarious most of the time but right now it's just costing time. I'm about to say something snarky, as is Leandre by the look of him, but Emerson stops us from doing so. Ever the pragmatic one.

         "What he means is the five of us are a well oiled machine and, until we have trained with you and are used to fighting with you, having you in the guard will be more dangerous. We will train with you in the upcoming week to remedy the situation. Until then you can stay in the house and watch over it, as well as your commander." 

          All three of them nod and we make our way towards the house. Before I can get inside Leandre grasps my forearm and takes me off to the side. He looks somewhat nervous and I'm curious as to what he's going to say. 

         "I want to bond with Raven." Leandre says and my eyes go wide. 

         "Bond? Are you sure?" I ask and his eyes narrow on me. 

         "Do you not wish to also bond with her?" He asks and I nod. Obviously I wish to bond with her. There's no other woman I would willingly tie my life to, no other woman I could tie my life to if I'm being honest. She's the only one that is able to handle my abilities without losing herself, she's a diamond in a sea of coal.

         "Of course I do but-" He cuts me off.

         "We all wish to bond with her. Bonding with her will make her safer. If we're bonded to her then we will be able to find her where ever she goes, we can communicate with her from a distance, and she may even gain some of our abilities." He says, "But I was wondering if you could be there when I do bond with her. I haven't fed alone since-"

         "Of course, brother," I say, cutting him off, "I understand why you ask and I will be there when the time is ready." 

          We clasp forearms and he thanks me. I then look to the house then back to him. 

        "Shall we go find out what the lass is planning? I want in." I ask. 

         A smile crosses his lips, "Hell yeah. I bet it's something good, too." 

        We both make our way into the house, ready to embrace the beautiful chaos that is Raven.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95 6 10
When a mysterious will written by some distant maternal relative whom Aidan has never met lands on his doorstep, accompanied by a letter and a land d...
123K 8.2K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
733K 24.5K 57
You know, the idea of ending up in a fictional world such as this was supposed to be funny especially as Elena Gilbert because it could be throughly...
437K 17.3K 36
I am just about to turn around and head down the alley toward the street when I see two shadows step away from the wall a little farther down from wh...