CAGED ✔

By ObsessedInk_writer

There is just one thing Beatrice Effiong has been told all her life: Stay away from everyone especially boys... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
REVIEWS/ACHIEVEMENT
《 Chapter 1》
《 Chapter 2 》
《 Chapter 3 》
《 Chapter 4 》
《 Chapter 5 》
《 Chapter 6》
《 Chapter 7 》
《 Chapter 8 》
《 Chapter 9 》
《 Chapter 10 》
《 Chapter 11 》
《 Chapter 12 》
《 Chapter 13 》
《 Chapter 14 》
《 Chapter 15》
《 Chapter 16》
《 Chapter 17 》
《 Chapter 18 》
《 Chapter 19 》
《 Chapter 20 》
《 Chapter 21》
《Chapter 22》
《Chapter 23》
《 Chapter 24 》
《 Chapter 25 》
FAREWELL/ APPRECIATION
《 Chapter 27 》
《 Chapter 28》
《 Chapter 29 》
《 Chapter 30 》
《 Chapter 31 》
《 Chapter 32 》
《 Chapter 33 》
《 Chapter 34 》
《 Chapter 35 》
《 Chapter 36 》
《 Chapter 37 》
《 Chapter 38 》
《 Chapter 39 》
《 Chapter 40 》

《 Chapter 26 》

136 43 46
By ObsessedInk_writer

Mother drove me back to grandma's very early that Sunday morning. She told me she had to drive back home that day since her leave was over. She worked in a public firm. I felt nauseous all the way to grandma's lonely and secluded house.

The house was quiet as usual. Not a single sound could be heard; not even that of the television. I retired straight to my room while mother went to see grandma before she left. She hugged and kissed me goodbye when I went to see her off. I didn't want her to leave. I wanted to spend more time with her.

I didn't see grandma throughout that day and I was less concerned. My heart knew no bound as I dressed for school the next day. I would finally get to see the one I had missed so terribly; the one who had secured a large part of my heart. I ate the meal prepared by the housekeeper and was driven to school by my driver.

To my horror, Peter was not on the assembly ground. My heart sank. Could it be his parents took him to another school to separate us from each other? A huge lump hung in my throat. I marched soberly into my class only to see Peter leaning by the wall of the class, staring at his shoes. I stood aghast; I couldn't believe my eyes. He looked up immediately and our eyes met.

"Peter." I breathed and he smiled broadly at me. That smile! How I missed it. He opened his arms wide and I jumped right in without thinking. I hugged him tightly and a tear dropped. I wasn't even bothered about we being in public and a teacher could walk by anytime. I was just so overjoyed that he was around.

"I thought your parents had taken you away to another school," I told him as I rested my head on his shoulder. I didn't want to pull away. Never!

"Why would you think so? You are the one who went AWOL for a full week." Peter pulled himself from my embrace.

"Not really. I was around last Monday." I protested.

"Yea and I heard the story of how you kept Amara in her place. I'm proud of you, girl." Peter pulled my cheek and I grinned.

"Where have you been? I got so worried I wanted to show up at your gate. But then, I remembered the last experience so I decided against it." Peter told me as we walked into the classroom. I could see my classmates looking at me funny but I ignored them.

"You're not going to believe this, Peter. This past week is the best week of my life. I'll tell you the details later. By the way, what happened between you and your parents? I'm so sorry I put you in that condition."

"Nothing happened between me and my parents. They only warned me just as every parent would and that was all. Now, throw me a gist on what occurred last week. I'm dying to hear."

Just then, the teacher walked in and I hurried to my seat. A sheet of paper was passed to me minutes later by Peter through some of my classmates. It read: break hour. Regular spot.

I smiled broadly as I stared at the back of Peter's head. He turned around that instance and winked at me.

Immediately the bell rang for break, I saw Peter standing outside the Chemistry Lab waiting for me. I walked out and together we ran to the rooftop; my most favourite place in the whole school.

I told Peter every single thing that happened to me that past week. Peter listened with wonder and admiration in his eyes as I told my story. He clapped and cheered immediately I finished.

"I'm proud of you. I wondered if this day would ever come: the day you stand up to your grandma. Seriously, I was pissed at your grandmother that Saturday. I'm glad you told her everything you wanted to tell her to her face. "

"Not everything. But almost everything. I still can't believe she lied about my father. That woman is something else. I really can't wait to leave that house." I told Peter.

"Well, you don't have to wait that long. The ball is in your court."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, last week, when you were busy enjoying yourself with your family, the principal addressed we the SS3 students about boarding in school due to the extension classes would be taking place from now on in preparation for the external exams. The boarding fee was included in our school fees so you don't have to worry about paying."

I couldn't speak. This was just so amazing.

Peter rove his hands in front of my face playfully and I swatted it away.

"Are you being serious or you're playing with me?" I asked him.

"No. . .not at all. Didn't you know that all sss3 students are to board in school?"

"Wow! This is. . .this is so marvellous." I exclaimed.

"Perfect time to leave your grandma's trouble." Peter winked and I laughed. My joy was immeasurable.

I borrowed Peter's phone after closing hour to speak with my mother. I found out that grandma had scrap out the boarding fee from the school fees. She had made it clear to the school that I would be attending the extension classes from home. What had my grandma not done to me?

I told my mother I wanted to stay in the school's boarding house and she agreed instantly. She told me she was going to pay the fee that week and then helped me pack the following week at weekend. Peter offered to help too and my mother agreed.

That Saturday, Peter laid on my bed staring at my room as I packed with my mother. It was so funny to see a boy not only in my house but in my room. I wished I could take a picture of this and stamp it on Grandma's wall; beside her bed so she could see it each time she woke and went to bed.

There was not much to pack. Of course, I refused to take most of my old oversized clothes. I packed my books into my school bag while Peter made funny remarks about almost everything.

Peter helped take the bags to the car's booth while we tagged along: I and my mother. I had not spoken to grandma for two weeks now. She never responded to my greeting and so I stopped greeting her. We were like strangers living in the same house.

I attempted to get into the car but my mother stopped me.
"Say bye to grandma."

I tried to protest but she shut me up by adding. "Please?"

"What will I say?" I asked wearily.

"Say whatever comes to your mind."

"You don't mean that, mum." I raised my eyebrow.

"Just say anything. She might have not been the best grandmother but she fended for you. No?"

I sighed heavily as I looked at Peter who was sitting at the driver's seat, nodding his head to the music playing on the radio. He had insisted on driving us to school.

I walked slowly to grandma's room. Her door was tightly shut so I knocked on the door. My heart was thudding loudly.

"Who's there?" I heard her raspy voice.

"Beatrice," I replied.

I heard the door creak after some moment and grandma's face came into view. She didn't let me into her room and I didn't bother. She stood by the door looking at me with puffy red eyes. I wondered if she had been crying. Not! Grandma would never cry for anything.

"Well. . ." I began. "I came to say goodbye. . . and to thank you for taking care of me. I realise now that you meant the best for me even though you took a wrong path in showing me this. I just want you to know that I have forgiven you for all the wrong you did to me and that. . . you are a good mother and not a failure."

I didn't know where those words came from. I hadn't planned to say those. I had planned to say just goodbye and leave but here I was saying something different.

Something twitched in her eyes and I watched her face crumble. Tears began to gush out of her eyes with great speed. She held my hands and touched my face.

"I'm so sorry Beatrice. I never meant to hurt you. All I wanted was to give you a much better life. I didn't want what happened to your mother to happen to you. I'm so sorry, Beatrice. Forgive me." She cried into my palms.

I didn't know how to react to this situation. Tears filled my eyes as I stood watching her cry. It was then I realized that I didn't hate her. I had never hated her. I was only angry with her and the cup which I spoke about was not a cup of hatred but actually of anger.

"Go well, my child and be safe!" She said amidst tears.

I nodded. "Take care of yourself too, grandma."

I could barely see for tears blurred my view. I wiped my tears with the back of my palm as I made my way to the car where my mum stood waiting for me. She hugged me immediately and kissed my head.

Peter was watching us with a subtle smile on his face. We got into the car and Peter drove us to school. I sat beside Peter and we kept exchanging furtive glances at each other. We were such a fool.

I was assigned a room with Amina; a short quiet girl into my class. I was relieved my roommate was not Amara or any other girl in her clique. Peter waited outside my dorm since he couldn't enter while I and my mother arranged my stuff in the room.

Mother had purchased some provisions and had given me some money for my upkeep. This was my first time staying alone and I was ebullient; so filled with joy.

Peter held my hand immediately mother drove out of the school's compound. He smiled into my face and I smiled back.

"I'm happy you're finally out of your caged life."

"It would never have been possible if not for you." Peter rolled his eyes in disbelief but it was true. If he hadn't fought to speak with me, I would never have known the intensity of my bondage. Peter made me understand that I deserved much better.

"Thank you, Peter." I appreciated from the depth of my heart. My voice was laced with sincerity and Peter smiled at me.

"I know I can't make up for all the beautiful things you have missed, but I'll try my best to make sure you don't miss more."

"Peter!" I was too emotional to speak. I went into his arms and hugged him tightly. It was then I understood what I felt for him: love in its full measure!

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●
Dedicated to all Caged ghost readers - though I'll appreciate your comments and participation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 257 22
Book 1 Of The Keisha Series Tagged No Companion. I had gotten close to the guys in the class, Nick, Beatrice and Lara were my constant companions too...
6.7K 238 25
[COMPLETED] There are two things you can count on in a small town, bad weather and boys who can make your heart thump faster than a horse's hooves ...
6.4K 1.5K 60
Moyin loved and enjoyed her life when her ex-boyfriend threatened her that he loves her and there was nothing she could do about it, she hated him so...
40K 528 8
Emiliano Antonio, the only son of the Prime Minister of Italy, and heir to the family's business denounces his family and moves to the United States...