The Wallflower Mate

By RamenLady

*Chosen Mates* Mary Elizabeth Carter have gone through the Mating Ball for five consecutive years with no luc... More

Summary
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
33
34
Epilogue
Bonus - Ch. 1 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 2 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 3 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 4 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 5 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 6 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 7 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 8 - Alexei
Bonus - Ch. 9 Alexei
Bonus Ch. 10 - The End

32

81.5K 4.1K 260
By RamenLady

Ryker blinked a few times. The room was spinning. An uncomfortable knot formed in his stomach and the urge to hurl crawled up his throat.

"Ryker?" Mary asked next to him. He felt her fingers on his arm.

He blinked and tried to look at her. She handed him an uncapped bottle of water. He brought it to his lips and took large gulps of it. He probably downed eight to nine water bottles already. The nurse had already removed the needle.

"I'm fine," he grumbled.

"He'll need to rest a bit to recover. The nausea should go away soon." The nurse cleaned up, throwing away the needles safely, and tossing away any extra bandages and packages.

Opening his eyes was not helping him. So, he closed his eyes again and rest his head against the back of the chair. Abraham slept quietly next to him. He could feel Mary kneeling down next to him. All this time and she didn't leave his side for a second.

"You're perfect," he mumbled.

A second later, Ryker felt Mary smooth back his hair. Sweat beaded his forehead. His body was fighting what he was feeling. He wanted to be awake, but it was exhausting.

Ryker felt at ease. The doctor said that Ryker's blood would help quicken Abraham's healing process. A sigh passed through his lips.

When he heard the nurse leave, he spoke up again. Remembering a memory of when Abraham and him were juveniles.

"One night, Abraham and I were living in an abandoned home. We both went out to look for jobs, desperate for some food to fill out stomach. We were gone all day. Abraham went looking for a job—did his best. Never gave up. While I ended up in a bar. I saw this human woman. I could smell her arousal from all the way across the room. She knew I wasn't old enough to drink legally, but she still came over to talk to me. She ordered me food and drinks. I ate my fill." Ryker's voice was hoarse as he remembered that night. Shame crawled all over him. "I even saved some for Abraham. When I got back to the abandoned home, Abraham was there. He was so hungry. He devoured the food I brought home. Abraham had found a job that day. I had totally forgotten about it. I just wanted to have fun with no responsibility."

Ryker's eyes flew open again. He turned his head to look at Mary. She was listening intently.

"I'm not a good person. I'm selfish. I hurt the only person who was there for me. That day, I felt exactly how I feel today. Disgust. I'm not worthy, Mary."

"We all made mistakes, Ryker, but what matters if we learn from them. You've done that, Ryker. If that wasn't true, you wouldn't be who you are today. Plus, Abraham loves you either way. He's loyal to you. He's your brother. Forgiving you would be the easiest thing in the world."

Ryker nodded. "I'm lucky to have you by my side, Mary. I'm glad you kissed me that night."

Mary laughed softly before leaning forward to brush her lips over his lips.

A knock sounded at the door. When it opened, Ethan looked at them with a nervousness that made Ryker's wolf raise his hackles. Something was wrong.

"There is a large gathering at the packhouse," Ethan reported.

Ryker frowned. Why would his pack members be at the packhouse? It was no longer standing because of the fire.

"You should go there," Ethan said with a sense of seriousness that had Ryker's vision slowly clearing up.

He was still feeling light-headed and dizzy, but adrenaline was pumping through his veins, erasing any signs of discomfort.

Ryker stood up, but his legs shook a little. A wave of exhaustion washed over him and it forced him to close his eyes. He pinched the bridge of his nose and took deep breaths.

"Are you okay? Should I get some enforcers to disperse the crowd? Tell me what you need me to do." Ethan was not trained in this. The people who usually handled pack issues were Abraham, Gary, or him.

"Don't worry. I'll go. I just have one hell of a headache," Ryker grumbled.

Mary didn't say anything, but Ryker could feel that Mary worried about him. He needed to ensure them he was okay. That he would be able to take care of them. Otherwise, there would be chaos in his pack and he would fail again. Taking another deep breath, he opened his eyes and glanced at Ethan.

"Let's go."

Ryker would have preferred to let Mary stay behind, but pack issues like this it would be best to have both Alpha and Luna present. He might have not had the chance to introduce her to the pack as his mate, but having her presence there would ensure that everything was okay. So, he reluctantly allowed her to tag alone.

Abraham and Gary were safe now. So, he felt better leaving them in the medical center.

When they stepped outside of the medical center, Ryker took off his shirt and jean. He handed them to Mary. Ethan also did the same. For a second, he saw a flash of confusion in his mate's eyes.

"We will have to run in our wolf forms to get there faster. You can ride on my back, but you must hold my clothes for me."

She nodded and took Ryker's clothes into her hands, clutching them to her chest. With her mated, it wasn't appropriate for Ethan to hand over his clothes to her. It had his scent on them. So, he quickly changed and bite down on his clothes to carry them with his teeth.

When Ryker shifted into a big black wolf. She watched his wolf's fur bristled in the wind before he stand on all four paws. Making no sound, he took a few steps toward her before lowering his upper body for her to climb on.

Mary slid her legs over his body. Her body welcomed the extreme body heat that was radiating from Ryker's wolf. His natural cardamon and clove with a hint of sweetness scent was stronger too. It comforted her so much. Instantly, she wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his back.

A few minutes later, they were running through the woods so fast that everything blurred. The way they ran right now differed from the first night they arrived in the pack. It was quicker. She realized that they slowed their pace for her that night.

Ryker and Ethan's wolf didn't slow down until they were near the packhouse. Slowly, the blur of trees stopped and she could see. When Ryker came to a stop, she lifted her head to look around. They were near enough to the packhouse, but far enough to still change.

It was almost dark outside now. With so much that has happened, a full day flew by.

She handed him his clothes after sliding off his body. Ethan had moved to a more private area to shift back. Ryker didn't bother hiding. He shifted in front of her. He pulled on his jean first before grabbing his shirt and pulling it over his head.

"Alpha, I didn't mention it at the medical center, but the leader of the group is Bruno," Ethan mentioned.

Bruno?

This news surprised Ryker. Although Bruno and Ryker don't always agree on certain things, Ryker has always respected Bruno and trusted him. Could it be?

"Ryker..." Mary looked at Ryker from underneath her eyelashes. She wrung her hands nervously in front of her. Something was bothering her.

She licked her suddenly dried lips before speaking. "I think I saw Bruno that night. He was the one who threw the matches. When I saw his back at the medical center... his shoulders and the look in his eyes... it reminded me of that night. I'm almost positive it's him, but I heard you say you trust him. I was going to tell you, but then Abraham coded."

Betrayal.

Ryker could understand why Mary said nothing to him. She has never met Bruno until today and their mate bond told him she wasn't lying. Mary was telling the truth. She was going to tell him, but there was no time.

Rage.

He had trusted Bruno!

Fury rose like thunder inside of him. It crackled and burned through his veins. He had thought that Bruno only argued against him because he was old and traditional, but not that Bruno was the person behind all that has happened.

Growling, Ryker ran toward the packhouse. Briefly, he heard Mary calling his name. Ethan rushed to follow his Alpha. Blood pounded in his eardrum.

When Ryker burst out of the edge of the woods. He saw Bruno standing in the middle of everybody. A group of unknown rogues surrounded him and a few of his pack members, including enforcers that he trained. Ethan and Mary burst out of the woods and stood next to him.

Mary realized the number odds between the two groups. Immediately, she turned to Ethan. She clutched his arm.

"Go, Ethan. Gather the rest of the Enforcers. Tell them that the Alpha is in danger. They need to protect the pack," she said. "Run. Don't stop. Run. Shout at the top of your lungs, Ethan. They will chase you and they will try to stop you."

"But—"

"Go!" she ordered.

Ethan couldn't resist her command. Although a part of him wanted to stay and help protect them, he knew that Bruno's group of loyal underlings outnumbered them. He nodded and burst into a run back into the wood.

Just as Ethan disappeared, three of Bruno's underlings separated from the group and headed in the direction that Ethan headed.

"Its too late, Ryker. I've always known you were too weak for the pack. No matter what I say, you wouldn't listen. You took in a bunch of weak juveniles and lost, ancient, and weak wolves. You are not worthy of the Alpha title."

Ryker laughed coldly. "You think you are any better? You prey on the weak to make yourself look strong. All those times you saved me—"

"Was to gain your trust and control you, but little did I realize how foolish you are. Weak. Unfitting for an Alpha," Bruno sneered, pacing in front of his underlings with confidence.

"Enough!" Ryker snarled. "You want my position?"

Ryker's stance was one ready to attack. His eyes narrowed and lips peeled back.

"You think you are better than me?"

Mary watched a dark shadow pass over Ryker's feature. He was truly furious. A wave of Alpha power rolled off him naturally and thickened the air. Blood lust and determination filled his natural light hazel eyes. It burned with a coldness that made Mary shiver in response.

Like a natural predator—he was ready to kill.

"Then try and take it from me." Ryker threatened before shifting into his wolf again.

His clothes shredded into tiny pieces. His wolf growled aggressively. Baring its sharp teeth at its opponent. Bruno shifted immediately after into a gray wolf that was almost the same size as Ryker.

Bruno has issued an Alpha challenge, no one can interfere now. Slowly, the circle closed around the two dominating wolves.

Pacing and watching.

Waiting to see the victor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

607K 13.8K 52
Meet Liam Being an Alpha he has waited for his mate for a very long time and on top of that he is a CEO of Eirmon company and he has lost all his...
840K 18.9K 29
What happens when enemies become mates? Cassie Dawson a sarcastic teenage werewolf with the alpha blood running through her veins. A menace to societ...
243K 8.3K 24
Hazel wants a mate-- just not now. She has two guys secretly vieing for her attention. All things aren't as they appear as she looses her virginity t...
1.3M 9.5K 11
Avery Williams - a regular pack member. Trent Denver - the alpha. They don't get along, her being too hard-headed and him believing whatever he says...