"No offense, but I don't think you'd have anything I want," Etho snapped, trying to bite back a few more rude remarks. This guy was probably going to offer him his sword or something stupid.

It was never worth the trouble talking to a new recruit. Etho knew from experience.

They only talked to you for one reason: To taunt you about being in the lower class.

"How about coins?" The guard held up a shiny emerald, and Etho paused. "Got your attention now, huh?"

Etho glared at him, but both of them knew it was true.

"I can give you coins," the guard continued, waving the emerald in front of Etho tauntingly. "All you need to do is go into the forest and punch out that soul flame in the snowy cliffside. I dare you."

Etho nearly choked in surprise. "Are you kidding? The forest is off-limits, and for a good reason. I'm not doing that."

"Fifty coins. Finish my dare, and you can have 50 of these shinies in your pocket if--excuse me, when you return. And," he continued, eyeing Etho's tattered clothing. "I know how much you need these."

And there was the subtle jab Etho had been expecting.

Every brain cell he had screamed at him, THIS IS STUPID! DON'T GO, YOU IDIOT! The king had declared the forest as off-limits to citizens. Even the elite guards didn't want to get close to it. Once, it'd been a public area just like the courtyard. Now, though, nobody wanted to get near. Not with all the rumours of monsters roaming freely in there.

And that was just the forest alone. To finish this guy's dare, Etho had to climb rotting, old, weak wooden stairs leading up to a hollowed-out area in the cliffside, fighting off the cold and snow, just to punch out a small blue fire.

It was incredibly stupid, and definitely not worth the risk.

He opened his mouth, ready to turn down the dare.

But...50 coins. That was enough for 2 months of basic rations, maybe even 3. And he needed that. Desperately. The small amount of coins he had wasn't even enough for a week. He barely got by as it was.

Etho sighed inwardly. When he looked up at the guard, he noticed a smirk on his face. That made it clear he knew he'd backed Etho into a corner.

"I'll do it."

And now, here he was. Lost in the forest with no idea how to get back.

People had ventured in here, and they were never seen again. Etho had known too many people who had taken the risk and lost everything.

Including a close friend. One he'd known for years.

But he could get lost in memories later. Right now, he was focused on not joining the people who had been lost in here.

The forest was terrifying. As he wandered deeper in, still not knowing where he was supposed to go, Etho could hear his heartbeat hammering in his chest. His breathing came in sharp intakes, and he was struggling to tamp his fear down.

It was just darkness in every direction. Where was the exit? Where was he going? Why was he doing this? It wasn't worth it, not with the incredible risk he was taking just by being here.

At any moment a monster could leap out and take you down, no problem, his brain reminded him. There's almost no way out.

50 coins, another part of him said. The desperate part. Get out of this alive, and you'll have 50 coins. You won't have to struggle to find your next meal for a while. Maybe you could start to focus on other things again.