2. How did you find me?

Start from the beginning

***

I sighed as I sat in the limo across from Rylan, who kept watching her phone. Being told that I have to go to lunch with my father doesn't really light up the day. It's like I can't live my own life and make my own decisions. Treated as if I don't have a mind of my own, and when I use my head, it's all wrong.

"What are you doing?" I asked as we started to move through the traffic in New York, knowing very much what it is like. It might take a while before we reach the restaurant for lunch with my father.

"I'm looking through your profile," She replied, her blue eyes stuck on the screen. It's really frustrating to talk to someone who doesn't look at you.

"I don't have a profile," I scoffed.

"Your father sent it to me this morning," She said, and I crossed my arms over my chest as I tilted my head.

"What now?" I leaned forward, which made her look at me with annoyance but remained silent.

"What's on it?" I wondered, leaning back in my seat.

"It stands that you are twenty-two of age. Your birthday is on the 19th of April. You have your apartment in the middle of the city. You don't work but love to draw and paint," Rylan seemed surprised when she read that, which wasn't easy to spot, but it was there.

"You are in no relationship, but you do enjoy the company of a woman from time to time," She said it so casually as if she didn't give a damn that I'm sleeping around with strangers.

"You are one meter and sixty, brown hair, and dark brown eyes, which is wrong because they are golden," Rylan said, locking her phone and placed it in her pocket; I could feel the heat on my cheeks of how she had noticed my eyes like that, but then again she has been staring into them non stop.

"So you know every little detail about me?" I said, and she nodded. I sighed as I stared out the window. The feeling of people knowing every little thing about you like that is exposing and embarrassing. Yet, they don't understand how it feels like to be in this position.

"So Rylan Miller, since you know me so well, why don't' you share something about yourselves?" I said, finding the woman in front of me interesting, however, a pain in the ass.

"You have my name, that's enough," She responded, and I rolled my eyes as I leaned my head on the door, staring into the cloudy day. Men and women rush through the streets with kids who have smiles on their faces with no concern for the world.

Once again, I'm stuck with a babysitter. If my mother had been alive, she wouldn't have allowed dad to treat me the way he has done since she passed. Avoiding me so deeply to the point it would go months before I saw him. But when he is there, all he does is complain about everything I do wrong. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better if he wasn't there at all.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I found my father sitting all the way in the back corner as he always does. He is too paranoid, believing he is in danger all the time. Dad goes to the same places each time. Where he knows he is safe, and he has a whole security team around him.

I don't blame him, though, considering he owns one of the government's biggest weaponizing companies. Most of the factories are placed all over the country to make arms for different organizations that request them. Jorge Fernando Castillo, the man my mother foolishly fell in love with.

"Morning," He said, stuffing his mouth with an omelet, which he also ordered for me. I looked at it, wanting to throw up. I hate it, and I have told him that every time we have lunch or breakfast. I push the plate away and grab the cup of black coffee instead.

Rylan stands a few meters away from me, scanning the area with her hands hidden behind her back. Mario smiled when he sat down, but it faded when he saw me, and I grinned at him teasingly before I sipped off my coffee. He breathed loudly through his nose and stole my omelet. He knows I don't like it and always ends up eating it for me. I don't even think dad notices it, or he doesn't care. Doesn't matter.

I looked up at Rylan as I could feel her eyes on me, but then she turned to stare at the front door. It's her job to be aware of everything around. Interestingly enough, I think she is the only one who has actually taken the position this seriously.

"I need you to do something for me," My father said, pointing his fork at me.

"What?" I asked, trying with all my might not to sound angry, but I couldn't help it. He has that effect on me every time he opens his mouth.

"I need you to go to Europe, a few places to make a name for the both of us," He said, and my mouth fell open.

"What?" I placed my cup on the table roughly and it spilled a little. I caught Rylan's attention as she looked at the mess I had created.

"I can't go, Hadley, and I need someone to take my place," He explained and leaned back in his seat to set the knife and fork on the plate. I have taken a lot of crap throughout my life, but this has gone over the line.

"You are aware that I have my life right?" I tried to remind him because obviously, he doesn't understand that.

"I need you to do this for me, it would only take a couple of weeks, and you get to go places that you always wanted," He shrugged as if that would make it better.

"Yeah, on your terms!" I shouted.

"Don't you raise your voice at me," He pointed his finger in my direction as if I was a child he couldn't control?

"You haven't done anything with your life. No education, because you get too bored. No work and you waste your time trying to play hide and seek with the guards I place on you," He said, and I clenched my jaw as I kept my mouth shut.

"And not to mention how you are screwing around with people you don't even know," He sighed in disappointment. I turned to the side and saw Rylan staring at me, but I couldn't look her in the eyes after hearing how my father embarrassed me in front of them all.

"I'll send Miller all the information, and she will go through them with you," I heard him say, but I didn't want to look at him.

"Fine," I stood up and left before he could tell me anything more. Tears were on the way to leave my eyes, while I found my way back into the limo. Eventually, Rylan sat down across from me. I leaned onto the door and stared into the depths of nothing. Right now, it feels as if the silence is what I have left to control.