"Hey." He said.

"Hello." I responded.

"Welcome home from work." He said, sitting at the counter.

"Thanks. What were you up to?" I said, drying the cup and spoon.

"Popped onto, uh, Eret's stream and then Tubbo's." He said, looking down at the counter.

"Cool, cool."

There was a silence between us. We were barely ever this quiet. Either he had a lot on his mind, he's still thinking of the dream smp roleplay, or he's waiting for me to carry the conversation.

"I actually had a couple questions." I started, not giving him room to speak up. I put the dishes away, the ones I had just washed and a couple others that weren't put away yet.

"Okay." He looked up, clasping his hands together and sitting them onto the counter.

"First question. So I booked my tickets for the 18th through 22nd of November to visit my family, and I booked a second ticket and was wondering if you'd like to come with me?" I placed my hands down on the counter on the other side of the room.

"Sure. I'll come with you."

"Dani thought it would be good for me to have support. I asked her first but with those dates being so close to Thanksgiving, she can't go. She suggested that you come with me." I looked at his fiddling fingers.

"And the second question?" He waited patiently, seeing that I was looking at him playing with his fingers and stopping. I look up to him when he does so.

"An old twitter mutual of mine wants me to play minecraft but my laptop isn't charged and I can't find my mouse so I was wondering if I could borrow your computer for the next few hours?" I waited anxiously for him to say no, tapping my fingers against the counter. I shrugged. "It's fine if you say no, I totally understand. I'll just tell him no-"

"That's fine. You can use it. You know how to add an account, right?"

"Yeah of course. Why wouldn't I?" I walked over to his recording room and walked in, Clay following me. He signs into his PC and I sit down, signing into my minecraft account and discord account. I message Charlie and told him I'm ready to call.

"Hey. Sorry it's been a few months, I needed to settle into my new place." I said, feeling Clay's eyes stab into the back of my head.

"Your audio is crisp." Charles says. "Your roommate is rich or a gamer or something?"

"Something like that. Anyways, hypixel bedwars or skywars?" I say, jumping into the hypixel lobby, immediately getting invited to a party from CharlesTheWonderful.

"Bedwars." He says, warping me to the lobby.

"Lemme do the lobby parkour real quick." I laugh.

"Okay, but be quick. You always spend like 20 minutes." He says.

I look behind me and Clay is gone, the door shut. I let out a sigh. "Let's get started."

"I thought-"

"I was trying to chase off my roommate. This is his pc, not mine. I would be the same way."

"Gotcha."

+++

"Dinner is here." I heard Clay pop in for a second and I gave a thumbs up as I was in the middle of a game and could only do so much since I was bridging to a base.

"Why'd that voice sound like Dream?" Charles asks, behind me with a sword, TNT, and a pickaxe. I missed a block and fell to my death. Charles is alone now.

"It's not Dream, he's just some tiktok sound-alike." I muted myself and turned around. "You couldn't have just texted me?" I complained, getting a shrug out of him.

"Sorry. I didn't realize you guys were still playing." Clay mumbled, slowly leaving the room and shutting the door. I sighed and turned back around, unmuting myself.

"I have to go, but it was fun playing with you." I logged off and ended the call before he could even say bye. That dude drains me so much, but for some reason I can't ditch him. He's just stuck to me. Maybe it's because I'm too friendly? Maybe it's because we actually have some sort of past and I can't let that go.

We met on hypixel actually. It was during a skywars game, doubles. We were paired up together because he was in a party of 3. We kept getting paired up when eventually, he sent me a friend request while in the waiting lobby and messaged me his discord. We talked for hours and became really close. At that point, though, he wasn't really a bitch about things, or at least he never showed me that side of him.

It wasn't until something happened during a game with his friends and I. I don't really remember what, but he stopped talking to me for a while. He really stopped talking to us, stopped playing minecraft, stopped being active on discord. He changed completely, his friends texted me, asking me if I knew anything because we haven't heard from him in months since then.

A few months ago, he popped back up, changed, but he was talking to his friends again. He was just a lot more, annoying and hard to get along with. He changed, like I said. His interests, his personality, the way he plays games. He just isn't the same and I know that was bound to happen eventually. Everyone changes. This just wasn't a good change.

We're still mutuals though, something I never really paid attention to because I have many mutuals. This was the first time in a hot minute that we talked and I didn't like it. But I have to put up with him because we're mutuals and we have history together. So, maybe that was it. The reason I can't get over him.

"Chinese take out." He says, sliding a plate over to me. I entered the room quietly. "You good?"

I hadn't noticed that I had been quiet, so I forced out a "Yeah" before grabbing the plate and picking out the food of whatever he ordered. I took the plate filled with food and sat down.

"Are you sure? You know you can talk to me if you need to." He says. His voice was soft, calming. I wanted to tell him and let the words drip out of my mouth, but all I could do was open and close my mouth repeatedly before I just decided to eat my food.

"I'm scared.." I let my voice tremble. I didn't feel like talking about Charlie so I brought up something else instead. "I'm scared that my parents won't love me, accept me for who I am right now. I'm scared they'll disown me for a second time. I'm scared that maybe they're dead and I was never able to forgive them for what they did to me face to face. Are they proud of me or do they hate me from back then? I'm scared Clay.. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself." At this point, there were hot tears running down my face. They were burning my eyes, so I tried my best to keep them shut.

I couldn't hear anything other than the sound of Clay's fork hitting the plate and the footsteps of walking closer. He whispered a "Hey.." and gave me a hug. A tight one. He didn't let go. I wrapped my arms around him and we stayed like that, allowing my food to get cold.