Chapter 3: The Canary's Cage

Start from the beginning

Thankfully, there are some bras and panties in there, to which she in only grateful; as well as her limited number of jeans, tops, skirts and socks. And nothing else.
Where’s her hairbrush? Her toothbrush? Her sanitary towels? The essentials! Nevermind the luxuries like more than one pair of shoes and make-up. Although, why on Earth would she wear make-up for him? But it would have been nice. It is the least he could do.

Regardless, she places away the clothes, separating those that will need ironing for a later date to do.
The task is completed relatively quickly and considering the minimal amount of items, it is no surprise.

As she’s about to subject herself to Carlos’s no doubt further demands, she realises she has yet to explore the her own bathroom. Butterflies of excitement flutter against her stomach as she slowly peers around the widening door. She cannot help but gasp at the heavenly vision before her. There’s actually a bathtub in there. And not some tired, uncomfortable looking one but a beautiful, sparkling white, stand alone. Her muscles ache with desire to sink into its comfort once brimming with scalding hot water and frothing with abundant divine-scented bubbles.
As if the bathtub isn’t enough, there’s even a shower of far greater seeming soothing than she’s ever been used to. Even in the hotel rooms she’s previously stayed in once or twice, haven’t had such welcoming units and the one at home certainly wasn’t welcoming. In fact, it was so unreliable that using it past 15 minutes would sometimes cause it to leak below into the downstairs office but 10 minutes prior to that and the water turns from hot to lukewarm.
But after a long shift, it did the job and relaxed Lola completely.

Making her way further inside, she’s drawn to the countertop of the sink, where various arrays of liquids are arranged. It’s all butters and creams and hair product-of highest quality of course. What more would one expect from a mob boss? She dares hope its for her use. To lather her hair in the vanilla cream conditioner would be a real treat for sure. At least, compared to her discount shop one.
Below that in the cupboards underneath, are things that has Lola breathing in relief as well as turning red. Why one Earth he thinks one woman needs so many sanitary items is beyond her. But as she reads the labels she soon realises they’re all different. There’s towels and tampons of all sorts of variety; winged, without wings, extra wide, easy fit, and so on; the thought of Carlos though with it all in a shopping cart just has Lola in a fit of giggles. That would be a site she would pay to see!
Controlling herself she fishes around to find a set of packaged toothbrushes and also razors. Something which she hadn’t even thought about but knowing the growth rate of her hairs, she’s glad for them.

“Miss Beumont, I’m waiting!”

Lola jumps at the sound of his booming voice. She fights back her blush as she makes her way casually towards him in the open plan living room. Even the way he sits is straight and rigid-just like everything else he does.

She takes a seat in the opposite couch, allowing the glass coffee table to act as a barrier between them.
“I trust everything is sufficient?” he politely asks.
Lola sighs, “I would rather have my own things.”
“I’m sure you would,” he muses before waving it off and moving on, “there are some ground rules.”
“Of course there are. Let me guess; don’t speak, don’t move, don’t breathe,” she sarcastically drawls. He can damn well spout his nonsense and waste his breath because there is no way in hell that she’s staying here willingly, following his stupid house rules.

Carlos simply choses to ignore her insolence, it has been so long since someone has got this badly on his nerves-still it is good exercise for his patience.
“Staying here entails you earning your keep. I expect the place kept clean and tidy. I think it’s only fair as well you cook dinner-”
Lola snorts at that. What is she? Some 1980s wife?! Would he also like her to greet him after work with her make-up and hair done, wearing an apron and a fake, cheery smile?!
“If you have difficulty cooking Miss Beumont, there are several recipe books-”
“I know how to cook! I just don’t want to cook for you!” she snaps back.
He can insult her appearance, her lack of charm, her defensive personality all he wants. But how dare he insult her culinary skills?! She grew up watching her Papa cook and to him food is the Bible.
“Strange how you find yourself in this situation in which you will have to do exactly that,” he sardonically states, “My room and my study will be locked and you may not enter without my permission. You may roam free here but you will not be allowed to leave, however if you wish, I can provide you with a laptop but bear in mind, certain sites will be blocked. You may also watch TV-of course, there is Netflix available”
Lola gapes at him. She can’t even leave the house now? She feels a tightening of her chest as she realises that he’s just going to keep her prisoner in this damned place so far and high in the sky that there’s no chance of escape. No matter how comfortable the jailer makes the cell-it is still a cell.

“That is all, Miss Beaumont,” he states rising to his feet.
Lola scrambles to her own, attempting to catch up with the man.
He strides towards the door straight down the hallway and before he enters she tugs him back by his forearm.
“Carlos, you can’t be serious? You’re just going to lock me up in this house all day?! What-How-“
She breaks off, blinking back the hot tears of fury causing his steel expression to soften just the tiniest bit.
“Lola, there are worse things in the world you could be subjected to.”

A/n yes, this is moving slow, I realise that but...when I write this is what comes out. Things will get interesting once their characters have been more explored-I assure you. And also-woah! So proud of myself-updated in exactly 2 weeks. 

Again as I keep telling people, I can only update once I have a chapter written out. I swear, I am not just hoarding chapters and torturing you all. I actually am just updating as I write and that means that I don't get that much time to write. Thus the slow updates. So can people just STOP demanding me to update! 
I update as I possibly can. And a realistic time frame for that is 2 weeks. I give that time frame loosely for those who like to know when to expect an update-it not some requirement of mine. 
I am OVERWHELMED at the positive response this is having but comments saying 'update soon' or 'update' are just rude and I hate reading them. So I will start deleting them. And if it continues....well, idk but it'll be something mean. 

Anyway, on that downer. Have a great weekend and apparently-I am told it is the SuperBowl tomorrow so go...American Football-wooo! *and all that jazz* :)